My Four Favorite Quotes

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Am I insane for believing these wise words have been ignored?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • You are wise for knowing about them

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • You are a raving madman

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Skyrimosity

Hello. A lot of you know me and you know I prefer to stay out of anything outside the RP'ing and Fan-Fic sections but I thought I would just throw this up. These are my 4 favorite quotes and how they are currently being ignored in American Society.

John F. Kennedy - "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." Some people are beginning to say that they are entitled by the government to free cell phones and other items but they do not take into consideration FAR too often that they should be doing more for their country than their country does for them. I thank each and every one of America's soldiers for actually believing in service to their country.

Argued sources - "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." This quote, right here, is the very essence of what American Society should be about. Not receiving things but being taught how to do the things you need to receive what you want. To be honest, this is why I do not personally believe that any sort of income redistribution is ever set to work.

Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. (my personal favorite of all time.) "I have a dream that one day my four little children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." This is just... an amazing piece of an even greater speech. Martin Luther King Jr did not want for ANYONE to be judged by what their skin color was, but what their character was about. I can remember very clearly all the claims during the Obama campaign of 2008 by many different people I knew personally "You have to vote for Obama or you are a racist." I will not go through further detail on what I think of that, but I don't think Martin Luther King Jr. would be proud.

Abraham Lincoln - "A house divided against itself cannot stand." Never, after the Civil War, has this quote been so very important. Currently, Congress is divided between the Democrats and the Republicans. Neither of those parties is willing enough to work with the other to fix the problem with American debt and other issues. I would, personally, like to walk up to the leader of both parties and just lock them in a room with a limited amount of Oxygen until they came up with a budget idea. Work together or die. The way they act though, I have a feeling they'd just end up in a Morgue.

----Well, I hope you all think I have good quotes and that I have good reasons on why I believe they have been incredibly ignored by the Society of the American People as we know it today. So, what are some of you all's favorite quotes then?

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
You forgot one...

"One day, just one day I will slap my weiner around until it does a full 1080" - Cr1TiKaL

Skyrimosity

You forgot one...

"One day, just one day I will slap my weiner around until it does a full 1080" - Cr1TiKaL
Muahahaha, I think that may have been embraced too much in today's society ;)

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
Muahahaha, I think that may have been embraced too much in today's society ;)

If it is then the quote getting the recognition it deserves.

Omega Dragon

Four of my favorite quotes are (and can be generally understood by themselves):

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

"It is never to be expected in a revolution that every man is to change his opinion at the same moment. There never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"A leader leads by example, not by force." - Sun Tzu

Pingu

a.k.a Charlie Goodvibes
My favourite quotes mostly come from asian philosophy since I enjoy and identify with their style a lot more than the western philosophers. It's hard narrowing it down to just 4.., but here are some I really like:

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. - Lao Tzu

To change with change is the changeless state. - Bruce Lee
(Not many people know that Bruce was more than an actor and actually was the first to apply eastern philosophy to modern western living. His philosophy is always quite eclectic, and thus very interesting to me.) The meaning of the quote is actually quite simple; if you are able to adapt to/be at peace with whatever life throws at you, you will always be in control.

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. - Frank Zappa

Let not a man do what his sense of right bids him not to do, nor desire what it forbids him to desire. This is sufficient. The skillful artist will not alter his measures for the sake of a stupid workman. - Mencius

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Not necessarily my favourite, but some from my very own hero (note my avatar) :D.

“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”

“Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell.”

“We must look for consistency. Where there is a want of it we must suspect deception.”

“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”

And of course many others, but I thought I'd put these up to have something different than to what most people will write.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. (my personal favorite of all time.) "I have a dream that one day my four little children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Reverse racism.

People voted for Obama JUST because he was black.

Racism is bad, but what about reverse racism? Liking someone because of the color of their skin? I think MLK would have hated this just as much as regular racism.

Omega Dragon

Reverse racism.

People voted for Obama JUST because he was black.

Racism is bad, but what about reverse racism? Liking someone because of the color of their skin? I think MLK would have hated this just as much as regular racism.

I don't think sullying up this thread is the right thing to do, but knowing MLK's neice, chances are he did hate "reverse racism".

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts