Mods on the consoles?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

MellowGuy

As you might already have heard, Bethesda is trying to push for allowing Skyrim mods to be allowed on the consoles. We all know that modding on the console IS possible but usually illegal and can cause the player to be banned. A number of pc gamers also enjoy this "edge" over their console cousins. How do you guys feel about this?

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand how these mods will be installed though. It will be a hassle to put them on your USB then transfer it to the game, right? Or will there be some sort of way to download it in Skyrim's interface?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I don't see it happening though. Just seeing how valve never managed to get any updates for team fortress on console, I just assume console companies are pretty set on no free community contents.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
I hope for 360's gamers sakes that they can get mod support. Mods make so much difference after you've played the game quite a lot, they make it interesting again, remove common annoyances, and give you more content to play with! It's one of the main reasons I'm getting it on PC and not 360.

Jeruhmi

I think mod support for the 360 would mean either installing it through a USB, or maybe you could get popular ones through the marketplace. Who knows!

Stonkey

I'm fairly doubtful that mods will come to consoles (in large numbers at least). PC is the best way to play anyways though.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
In a recent interview they said something along the lines of “The most popular PC mods will be made available as downloads (like a DLC) for the console versions”, I think. I don’t remember where this was mentioned though.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Hmm, if that is true, it might be still tough... Mods are usually pretty glitchy and it will go through many process of updating them before it becomes finalized, which is usually never when a particular mod is big. I am doubtful but if mods were possible for consoles, this is indeed a very good news for gamers who got them for consoles because their PC wasn't good enough.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Semi-related: Luckily these problems would become obsolete if Unlimited Detail lives up to expectations. After all, they claim that it will work the same on all consoles and that designing games for them will require much less people as in: no extra developer team for each console.

Jeruhmi

Meh, I just think that mods should only be for PC users. My opinion will hold it :p
I do own a console, so I'm not being biased. I just think it's more fitting for the PC.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
I agree though I think console might has some advantages... Like having no quick-save and quick-load feature. That really ruins the flow of the game for me honestly

IMO the biggest advantage which consoles is local multiplayer.. most PC games don't even support it. But I usually game on my own, or online with people, so thats why I primarily play on PC. :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
IMO the biggest advantage which consoles is local multiplayer.. most PC games don't even support it. But I usually game on my own, or online with people, so thats why I primarily play on PC. :)
I was talking strictly about Skyrim since its single player but yeah, I think consoles the best if you want to play a game with 3 of your friends. I also like how I can just lay down on a couch and relax. Can't do the same when I'm on PC because if I lay back, it's not really comfortable. Unless you are using a laptop like I do but still.

Flamingtaco

THe creation kit would work, the problem is how to get the mods on the consoles since Bethesda can't take the time to publish it on psn/xbla. Maybe in time if the consoles don't die out they will make a method of downloading and isntalling mods straight from the game. Otherwise they could make a tool which allows you to install them if you plug it in on a usb or something.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts