• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So I love the Dawnguard. It's actually my favorite DLC because it made it possible to play a serious paladin/cleric type character. I want to write a Story based on the DLC but I need some help with some lore stuff I'm not too sure on.
So Serana is really old, like really old. Pre-empire, yeah?

1. I thought I remember her saying something about being a child and running around castle Volkihar as a child vampire? Is that correct? or am I mis-remembering that line of dialogue with her? When you're searching for her mother under the castle?

2. On the matter of her age, she's pre-dragon priest, yeah? She wouldn't know what/who the dragon priests were because they came after she was sealed away right?

3. So Dawnguard added the sunfire magic to restoration...is that cannon? I know magic is a helluva thing and the magic used in one game or another might not really matter, I'm just a wee bit curious if there is a cannon form of magic in the lore and if radiant/anti-undead magic exists?

l2eanne

Healer and Alchemist
To answer your first question, I think that Serana being a child and exploring Castle Volkihar happened before she was offered to Molag Bal, meaning before she became a Daughter of Coldharbour.

I've heard a lot of theories on her age, as I have wondered about it a lot myself. I don't believe she existed before the Dragon Priests, as they were around and in power during the Merethic Era, which is near the time many of the tombs in Skyrim were built and used. Serana's dialogue contradicts itself a bit, but she claims that they are "even older than [she is]". By how much, I'm not completely certain. But Dragon Priests, and the Dragon War itself, were before her time (At least I think?). I've heard some theories speculating that her age could date back to the Second Era, because it was before the Septim Empire had arisen and much of Tamriel was in chaos. Also, with the Planemeld in The Elder Scrolls Online, Molag Bal was a large figure at the time, leading some to believe that Serana's family had possibly gathered in a cult following at around that period. There is some dialogue from Durnehviir that suggests though that she could possibly predate the Dragon War, depending on the context in which you believe his dialogue should be interpreted. Valerica also has some dragon bones stored away with her in the Soul Cairn, so her imprisonment could have been at least near the Dragon War. Another thing is that she is aware of the existence of the College of Winterhold, and refers to it as a place to check in with to locate a moth priest, and she states that before she was sealed away, it would be somewhere she would like to visit for any magical or historical knowledge. Given that information, she was sealed after the founding of the college, which was early 1st Era (possibly around 1E 400). And given more dialogue about how she refers to the Dwemer, it seems like she has no idea they are gone. Their disappearance was in the year 1E 700. There is just so much conflicting evidence it is hard to say for sure, however. Also, Harkon mentions that they are "Among the oldest and most powerful vampires in Skyrim". The first Vampire, Lamae Beolfag, was created in Skyrim (forests of Falkreath I think), so it is also possible that they came just after her or not too long after. I'll say though that Serana's family came a bit after The Merethic Era. The best bet is somewhere between 1E 400-1E 700 (or, quite possibly, a bit earlier First Era). Just my personal take though.

Lastly, anything presented in game can be considered canon. So Sun Fire, along with any other spell that is mentioned in a book, by an NPC, or actually used by your character in game, is canon.

Last edited:

l2eanne

Healer and Alchemist
You're Welcome! :) Went back and edited one or two things as I realized there were some inconsistencies in my lore.

Last edited:

JoeReese

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I would say she was born during the start of the First Era, she mentions the Dwemer, wondering why they would let their cities fall into this state suggesting she was sealed away before their disappearance in 1E 700. You could narrow it further by her being confused about Cyrodiil being the seat of an Empire, so she was sealed away prior to 1E 243 when the Alessian Empire was formed.

Although she could have very well been sealed after that period, as the Alessian Empire never fully controlled Cyrodiil and therefor wouldn't be considered a seat of a larger Empire such as Reman's or Tiber's Empires. But one certain is she was sealed prior to 1E 700.

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts