Lighting bug please help!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

cornoratu

i have the same issue, but adding that line in my skyrimprefs.ini didn`t do it for me (i didn`t have bDeferredShadows anywhere in my file so i added it in)

Mr Schpiffey

Make sure that you are editing the correct skyrimprefs.ini file. It's the one that is going to be in your My Documents, not in the game folder.

Froger

I am sorry because I am awakening this topic, but I have same problem. I bought game two days ago and can't find right solution for this thing.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
What have you tried so far in order to fix it? And what are your computer specs?

Froger

I think everything in this theard. I contacted Bethesda and they sent me that these things can solve my problem:

fSunShadowUpdateTime=.25
fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Let us know how it turns out. It seems not every solution works for everyone so I'd be happy to have any and all solutions to this problem published in case more people are looking for answers.

Good luck!

Froger

I tried today to solve problem with advice from Bethesda, but it didn't work. When you set both values to .01 shadows would appear to be generated almost real time as the suns position in the sky would by updating faster and the changes would occur almost instantly. It also is probably hard on the framerate with the shadows being constantly redrawn.

oskerobservers3

I'd just like to say that this is exactly what I signed up for in the forums. I hate the fact that this happens. My shadows don't go up, but when I go underneath a place that should be shadowed, everything goes dark. My skyrim is a legal version, I have steam, and I can't do anything to fix it.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I know this thread has been around forever and people seem to have very mixed results fixing it. Can you all still post your graphics card specs and the actual driver you're using? Also tell us what patch level your game is at.

I certainly have no guarantees anyone can fix it, but maybe someone with the same or similar hardware setup has had some luck and can chime in with what worked for them.

oskerobservers3

I know this thread has been around forever and people seem to have very mixed results fixing it. Can you all still post your graphics card specs and the actual driver you're using? Also tell us what patch level your game is at.

I certainly have no guarantees anyone can fix it, but maybe someone with the same or similar hardware setup has had some luck and can chime in with what worked for them.

Uhhh I'm such a noob at computers that I don't even know how to get the specs of my graphics card. What do I do to get them? Sorry.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hrm, I'm on my Mac at the moment so I can't do a full play by play. Basically, if you hit the start button, there should be a Control Panel. Open that up and there's an icon for erm... Device Mangler is what we call it in my house. Maybe Device Manager? When you open it up, it has a list of all your hardware. One should be Graphics Adapter and you can get to the specs from there. And there should be a tab for the driver too. Let me see if I can get someone more facile with Windows than I am to give you real instructions, though.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Yep that's part of it. Now we need the driver.

Some instances of the drivers have had specific problems with Skyrim. Was there a driver tab?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Graphics ChipsetAMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Is that it? I don't really know
It's the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

You can get your complete specs by clicking on the Windows Button on in the lower left corner of your screen, typing DxDiag in the search box and selecting the program DxDiag.

That's an extremely weak video card to run Skyrim but what is your OS (Windows XP, Vista, 7 etc.)?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts