• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
How many of you LIKE the Dragon Riding system. How many of you thought it MET OR EXCEEDED your expectations?

IMO, I think it sucks. But I knew it wouldn't be anything awesome. But I think it was a really big let down, I can't even shoot my bow from it :l

I wanted it to be like player controlled but I knew expecting that would be like expecting the next Elder Scrolls game to come out tomorrow.

aussiegirlz

meh - don't care for it - after the first few attempts I decided I wasn't going to use it again - but a dragon showed up while I was getting ready to clear the Thalmor out of the abandoned shack again so I thought I'd let the dragon do it - a couple hours later I realized during the attack the dragon must have wounded an essential NPC I didn't know was in the area - to get back on his good side I had to revert to save lost a few hours worth of work. This time I really mean I am not going to use it again.

ixtwistedxi

Zaki, Eating of Souls
If you COULD have full control, the dragon would fly so fast the game wouldn't have time to load. And it would lag, they would have to change the entire map so when you flew high you couldn't see the outside of the map with all the glitchy terrain. Horses would become completely pointless, Enemies that didn't have range would be useless and easy even enemies WITH range would still be too easy because you could just fly out of the way while breathing fire at them, you would NEVER loose a fight because you could just fly away, taming a Legendary dragon would be waaaayyyy OP. they are just some of the reason they didn't put full control over flying a dragon.

Sarcron

I understand that they would never let us fully control a dragon to fly across the map (you can do it on PC with mod tools but that's better hardware any way). However, a few things:

1. It should have allowed us to use bows and crossbows, by allowing for a "zoomed" perspective. There are very few boss battles that even occur in the open air outside, and it would be harder shooting from a mobile air platform then simply running and shooting on foot.

2. The ability to tell the dragon when to use air combat and when to land and use melee/magic. Sometimes I want my dragon to chomp down, and some times I need it to strafe targets.

3. Better directional control of your shouts while riding the dragon. Honestly the only type of attack worth doing while mounting the dragon is magic, because those lock-on. With shouts you're dependent on fixed angles, which most of the time the dragon doesn't provide good ones at all so you end up shouting 45-60 degrees+ off target.

The good stuff:

1. I like how the dragon spots literally every living target in an area (I was laying waste to a forsworn camp and the dragon spotted some slaughter fish in a tiny pond 200 steps away, for instance). It doesn't fly far but it does do huge circling archs, so reasonably you can clear out any huge chunk of land.

2. You can still fast-travel while riding the dragon, so if you want to hop camps and fly to new areas, you can. You just can't fly DIRECTLY to that location.

3. Bend Will works on Odahviing, so even if you can't find a dragon to ride, you can call for one and then ride him around.

I'm at 81 on two characters so obviously there's no enemy that my dragon will kill faster then I will. But I'm well past "efficient killing" in this game, to me it's about fun, and at least for now I'm having a reasonable amount of fun wrecking enemies while dragon riding. I just wish they'd fix some of the glitches and make it more battle friendly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts