• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

benfish

You would be able to pull off medium graphics with that laptop
If your on a tight budget try this one
Sager NP6110 / Clevo W110ER Custom Laptop
This is about the lowest specs you will want to go. You want at least a nvidia gt650m for skyrim (radeon 7770 if you want amd) If the screen is small fro you invest in an external display at some point down the line.

benfish

The truth of the matter is if you want to run skyrim on high/ultra settings and have a laptop that is going to last expect to spend upwards of 800$ If you are fine with medium/low settings and having to buy another laptop in a year or so you can find one for under 800$.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
the 1.9 ghz processor would bottleneck the amd graphics card you need at least a 2ghz to run skyrim
That CPU has turbo boost that kicks the CPU well over 2 GHz.

Keen's Manatees

Could i get a recommendation for a laptop thats no more than like $570?
You're not going to get a laptop that's good for skyrim for 570$, I'd recommend just investing in a good gaming computer, I can recommend you a pretty good graphics card, Geforce gtx 560, or the ti version, or maybe the 550ti, or the 550 it's self.
A standard alright gaming PC would look as follows
8GB of ram
A Quad Core Proccesor, or a hex core one. Maybe around 3.2-4Ghz
A 550ti, 550, or 560ti or 550
Something around that build could suit you quite nice..
Or If you're into AMD graphics cards then I don't know.
Or if you just want to afford a good gaming PC but you don't know how to build it, just use this website.
Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker
I really do recommend you BUILDING your own computer rather than buying one..It's much cheaper, this is coming from a person who has built their own computer.

benfish

You're not going to get a laptop that's good for skyrim for 570$, I'd recommend just investing in a good gaming computer, I can recommend you a pretty good graphics card, Geforce gtx 560, or the ti version, or maybe the 550ti, or the 550 it's self.
A standard alright gaming PC would look as follows
8GB of ram
A Quad Core Proccesor, or a hex core one. Maybe around 3.2-4Ghz
A 550ti, 550, or 560ti or 550
Something around that build could suit you quite nice..
Or If you're into AMD graphics cards then I don't know.
Or if you just want to afford a good gaming PC but you don't know how to build it, just use this website.
Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker
I really do recommend you BUILDING your own computer rather than buying one..It's much cheaper, this is coming from a person who has built their own computer.

Its almost impossible to build your own laptop and for the costs it is not worth it. If he was interested in a desktop than I would also suggest diy.

Caststarman

Actually, in this day and age, you can get a laptop that runs Skyrim just fine on a price range of EVEN under 500 USD (I assume there are many people who live outside the USA). Trust me, I looked for a LOT of laptops while trying to find mine.

You don't NEED the Nvidia geforce high-end stuff to play Skyrim.

If graphics are a must, then you probably will have to spend a lot, but if you will settle for something like the medium graphics (haha, that actually looks great) then you can find something for your price range.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Its almost impossible to build your own laptop and for the costs it is not worth it. If he was interested in a desktop than I would also suggest diy.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about a desktop. If he weren't he wouldn't have posted desktop video cards and CPUs. >^^<

benfish

I'm talking about him building his own desktop, did you even bother to read all of my post?

I did read all of your post as I said " If he was interested in building a desktop than I would also suggest diy." From my previous conversations with the user he seems to want to buy a laptop. I'm not sure if you are aware of the title of this thread but it is called "Laptops" not "Desktops". Not trying to start an argument just informing you.

benfish

Actually, in this day and age, you can get a laptop that runs Skyrim just fine on a price range of EVEN under 500 USD (I assume there are many people who live outside the USA). Trust me, I looked for a LOT of laptops while trying to find mine.

You don't NEED the Nvidia geforce high-end stuff to play Skyrim.

If graphics are a must, then you probably will have to spend a lot, but if you will settle for something like the medium graphics (haha, that actually looks great) then you can find something for your price range.

I totally agree, you can find a perfectly fine laptop that runs skyrim well on medium, and skyrim on medium looks really good. But for me personally I would want to get higher end laptop so it would last longer and I'm I'm kinda a snob when it comes to graphics so i would just to spend a little more to try to maximize my purchase.

Keen's Manatees

I did read all of your post as I said " If he was interested in building a desktop than I would also suggest diy." From my previous conversations with the user he seems to want to buy a laptop. I'm not sure if you are aware of the title of this thread but it is called "Laptops" not "Desktops". Not trying to start an argument just informing you.
..Yes but you were implying I said laptop, not desktop.

Keen's Manatees

I totally agree, you can find a perfectly fine laptop that runs skyrim well on medium, and skyrim on medium looks really good. But for me personally I would want to get higher end laptop so it would last longer and I'm I'm kinda a snob when it comes to graphics so i would just to spend a little more to try to maximize my purchase.
It's fine, my point is if you invest in a desktop, It'll be worth the money.

Caststarman

It's fine, my point is if you invest in a desktop, It'll be worth the money.
When people ask about laptops, they usually will be asking for a laptop, but not for a desktop for one simple reason.

Portability.

That one single factor was the growth and success of the basic looking clam-shell design laptop.

I don't have a doubt in my mind that a Desktop can reach more power then a laptop can, but would you be willing to lug around a desktop everywhere? Mouse, Keyboard. monitor, tower, and maybe even more? A laptop cuts those things down to a lot less. A laptop and a mouse for most. I guess you could consider a mouse pad or not actually using a mouse.

I used to see that you couldn't get half the capability of a desktop for a laptop a couple of years back. Look now, you can get a perfectly good $199 laptop if you know where to look, although it would probably be against the law for it to be able to play Skyrim on ultra.

An old hp laptop, back when hp was in its prime was 1000 dollars. It was the top of the line laptop you could get without buying one of those super-clunky/heavy gaming laptops at the time. The laptop had 1 gig of ram, upgrade-able to 2 gigs. 120 gig hard drive. I won't even compare the processors.

I know you have heard this all before so I will stop there because there are probably at least a hundred different pieces of text saying the same thing.

I also want to make the counter-argument for why someone would like to get a desktop instead of a laptop. I am not a person to hold an debate with two+ sides without knowing the other sides' argument.

Power. That's it. Power. You see that old piece of junk you call a new laptop over there? It can't even COMPARE to my desktop. (I am not actually one to hold a super high-end desktop, so I am just going to base this off of what I would say if I did). The desktop can have a lot of power right out of the box, but still keep adding more so you wouldn't be forced to buy a new one every few years so you can at least RUN the newest games. The desktop has been known to be exceptionally great when it comes to things like storage space.

Think of how big games are today... you probably would be holding other things besides games like movies of that HILARIOUS moment you took with a 4k camcorder of your friend getting drunk off that apple-juice over a period of half an hour. THAT would be some serious "gig-age" (Pun intended for those who wish it to be truly intended). What??? That camcorder records the best audio out there for amateur use??? Oh my goodness... oh my da....

A desktop can hold that all no-problem on top of all that other stuff in your desktop. You can just get a new hdd with 3 terabytes instead of just 2 terabytes.

You have a 750 gig laptop now? Uh-oh....

I am sorry for writing a long drawn-out post, I by far am no Hackey5 (Go on to battlebears.vanillaforums.com and search up about 10 of his posts and you will see that this post is nothing). In reality, if you want the ideal computing system of epic gaming....

You would want a laptop that had great specs for as cheap as a desktop, and be able to interchange most of the parts all for that amazing 5.5 pounds.

That Sovngarde in Tamriel world is not upon us yet. But do not fret, you only have to choose between portability vs everything else.

If you are a "Student" of any age without a definite home other then your parent's, choose a Laptop.

If you have a definite home that you go to every day then choose a desktop.

If you like power, choose desktop.

If you like portability, choose a laptop.

If you like ultra-portability, choose a laptoptablet.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts