• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
You're not going to get great performance with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated chipset to process graphics. This is a video of what the game is like with a laptop with similar specs:

If you want better performance you'll need to look for a laptop with a discrete NVIDIA or AMD Radeon video card instead of integrated graphics.

ThriceHeart

Last Hunter of Toru-Manawa
Advice from a person who uses a laptop that has the same graphics card as that to play Skyrim don't buy it. Save up you cash to put towards a proper gaming rig, trying to play a game at 8 to 16 Fps makes for bad gameplay.

Dagmar

How do you guys think this will do PowerPro I 9:6 Gaming Laptop
I think you should spend the extra $95 to upgrade the video card to a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M.

If this is a long term investment then you should also upgrade the CPU although that might be outside your price range.

Be aware that the quoted price of $755.63 is for cash only and that this laptop doesn't come with an OS. It's another $105 if you want it to come with a Windows OS installed.

benfish

I think you should spend the extra $95 to upgrade the video card to a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M.

If this is a long term investment then you should also upgrade the CPU although that might be outside your price range.

Be aware that the quoted price of $755.63 is for cash only and that this laptop doesn't come with an OS. It's another $105 if you want it to come with a Windows OS installed.

I was planning on only getting the 650m because there is not a major performance difference, if I was to spend the extra cash i would get a lap top with a 670m. Also I was planning on going with the I5 because skyrim is not a very cpu heavy game. Also I'm going to get a 250gb ssd as my main hard drive.

Do you think this will run well on medium settings? or should I scrap the ssd for an i7?

Dagmar

I was planning on only getting the 650m because there is not a major performance difference, if I was to spend the extra cash i would get a lap top with a 670m. Also I was planning on going with the I5 because skyrim is not a very cpu heavy game. Also I'm going to get a 250gb ssd as my main hard drive.

Do you think this will run well on medium settings? or should I scrap the ssd for an i7?
It should run Skyrim well on Ultra settings.

The GeForce GTX 660M performs about 12% better on benchmark tests. The GeForce GTX 670M performs about 31% better. There's a Power Pro R 11:36-670 on that site that has one with an additional 4GB of System Memory that would actually be cheaper then then the Power Pro I 9:6 with a GTX 660M and 8GB of System Memory.

benfish

It should run Skyrim well on Ultra settings.

The GeForce GTX 660M performs about 12% better on benchmark tests. The GeForce GTX 670M performs about 31% better. There's a Power Pro R 11:36-670 on that site that has one with an additional 4GB of System Memory that would actually be cheaper then then the Power Pro I 9:6 with a GTX 660M and 8GB of System Memory.

Thanks i think ill go with the power pro 11:36-670. will the i5 bottle neck the 670? or is it good enough.

Dagmar

Is an i7 with a 650m better for skyrim than an i5 with a 670m
For Skyrim I don't think you're going to get a noticeable difference as both should be able to handle it at Ultra settings with good framerates. I'm running it with with high resolution texture and enhanced environmental effect mods with GTX 560m and i7 at Ultra settings with 30-60 fps. It would be more relevant for other games and applications that are going to hit the CPU and GPU harder.

benfish

Could i get a recommendation for a laptop thats no more than like $570?
Save another 200-300 and you can get a laptop that runs skyrim a lot better you really can't run skyrim that cheap on a laptop, so don't try. try building your own desktop, if you don't want to game on the go, you'll be able to make a pretty good desktop for 560$

benfish

Could i get a recommendation for a laptop thats no more than like $570?
This might be able to pull off low settings still think you should spend more money or make a desktop I do NOT recommend buying this laptop for skyrim, just posting it because you wanted a suggestion for 570$ and this is about the best you'll be able to do
MSI A6005-201US 9S7-168222-201 Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 16 Display, Windows 7 Home Premium at TigerDirect.com
V3-571-6698 | Product Model

The acer can pull off about 30fps on the lowest settings
The msi would be questionable at the lowest settings

Dagmar

Assuming there are no problems with using the dual graphics with Skyrim (the laptop apparently defaults to on board graphics if it can only use one graphics processing resource and I've read about problems using AMD dual graphics with Skyrim) it should play at medium settings at 1366x768 resolution. The hard drive is a clunker. Acer laptops are known to have poor cooling systems too so you should invest in a good cooling pad if you intend to play games on that laptop.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts