"Kaldrin's Avengers" Part 2 and Onwards

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

gozmonster

Part 2: The Road to Ruin

“Will he live?” Kaldrin was grave. The stubborn orc was lying comatose against the wall. To die without even putting up a fight? The thought sent shudders down his spine.
“I cannot tell. He is not breathing and his skin is deathly cold...” Byrlock said grimly. The sound of ice shattering signalled Trop-Too’s escape from his prison. He lashed out, still wild with fury.
“Come on then you bag of bones! I’ll chew you up! I’ll make powder out of you! I’ll... I’ll...” His rage boiled down to a simmer. “Where is he? The Frost Lich? Did we kill him?”
“No. He escaped. We would have pursued, but the stairs were destroyed during the fighting. I’m working on a staircase of ice. It will be some time before I finish. Best you sit down and rest.” Elkim was indeed working on a ramp made of ice, scavenging what magicka he had left and increasing it with a potion.
“Oh.” sighed Trop-Too with disappointment. “So we lost?”
“Perhaps.” Elkim was more occupied with his construction than any form of conversation. Trop-Too, now drained from his ordeal began to walk over to the mage, but decided to sit and ponder the battle over a nearby tankard of wine.
“What of the landlord and his guests?” he asked.
“Dead, most likely reanimated by the Lich to serve his purposes.” came Elkim’s reply.
“So we did lose.” The reptile said. The hefty Argonian rested his head heavily on a nearby barrel, sitting against it with a tankard in hand. They stayed like this for a while, Elkim muttering spells of alteration, Kaldrin and Byrlock crouching next to Dro-gro-Bulag’s body, silently mourning his passing. Fifteen painful minutes passed until Elkim announced that the way was open. The party slowly rose, sore, bloody and disheartened by the loss of Bulag. Kaldrin and Trop-Too lifted the orc with difficulty, managing to carry him up the ramp of magically firm ice and out into the main room of the inn. As foretold by Elkim the room was clear of bodies, save for a few smears of blood and plenty of wrecked furniture indicating that none of them died willingly. They strode quietly through the empty inn; heads bowed, and reached the door. It was almost dawn, and the rain of the night had stopped. They trudged on back to the Honeybrew Meadery, solemn and silent, eager to put Dro-gro-Bulag to peace forever.

They returned to the Meadery to find it abandoned. Byrlock called out but to no avail. The Meadery, frothing to the brim with Nords only hours before, was completely deserted. A look around inside told a similar story to the one at the Black Sparrow; broken furniture, bloodstains on the wooden floor, smashed bottles and tankards everywhere. They took advantage of the lack of people by gathering linen wraps for Bulag’s corpse. Byrlock took point and ventured upstairs, and came down shaking his head. Everyone in the Meadery was dead. Or worse.

They continued down the road to Whiterun, their progress encumbered by Dro-gro-Bulag’s body. They rested frequently, and it took them two hours at the least to reach the farm outside the city’s walls. It was also deserted. No people, living or otherwise, stood to bar their way or offer information as to the city ahead. They picked a few of the vegetables for sustenance and began to walk again. A wagon, free of its horse and driver, leaned into a ditch on one side of the cobblestone road. “What happened? Surely this cannot be the work of the Lich?” Byrlock got no answer. For all they knew, Whiterun was overrun.
Their fears were assured when the walls of Whiterun loomed ahead, yet no guards manned the ramparts. They were in surprisingly good condition, almost unscathed by what the group had imagined came this way. The outer gates were opened, and a severed arm lay just inside the wall. Byrlock, a sre scout, leant down to it and took a close look. He returned to the others who were resting just outside the perimeter, eager for answers. Byrlock told them of the arm, how it was deathly cold, and pale blue. The insignia of Whiterun was stitched proudly on the remains of a vambrace, but it was clear that the owner of the arm had likely left the vicinity. As soon as the thought crossed their minds, the first of the undead legion attacked from hiding behind the crenulations in the walls and from inside a nearby hut. They were mostly Whiterun guards, looking intact aside from mortal wounds that no man could endure and live. Amongst the fallen soldiers were a group of now dead Kajhit, bearing claws and staggering unsteadily towards the surrounded party, preparing to fight underneath the opened gate of Whiterun’s outer wall.

The zombies amounted to about 10 in all, and more poured from the main gates to Whiterun, just up the hill and to the left following a curve. They spilled out in dozens to battle the new arrivals. Compared to the four remaining adventurers (not counting Elkim’s wolf familiar), they were formidable numbers indeed. They closed in on the living, clasping swords, shields, spears and axes. One had no right arm and carried a short sword in his remaining hand. He staggered towards the party, who had grouped up in a tight circle for defence, and swung the sword in an overhead slash at Kaldrin. Blocking it with his shield and reposting with a fast swing at the zombie’s exposed ribs; the Nord warrior shoved the corpse off him with his shield. As if the undead guard’s re-death was a signal, the rest of the shambling rabble advanced with increased vigour, hacking at the beleaguered party with sword, spear and bare hands. Kaldrin tried his best to protect the wizard Elkim, who was busy chanting some powerful ward to see off the horde.

Trop-Too however paid no heed to defence as he charged into the four closing in from his side, swinging his heavy, armor clad fists into heads, chests and arms, crushing them all. Byrlock saw no time to load his bow, and drew his long sword to better defend Elkim. They focused on buying the wizard time to complete his spell, and after a few more bloody moments he was finished and a bright circle of light flashed into the ground around the party. The undead recoiled at the appearance of the guardian circle, and some fled back to their holes and ambush points. But Trop-Too, angered as he was, was not within the protective barrier, and though he hammered away at attackers that outnumbered him ten to one he was slowly being weakened by the constant swipes and stabs of his assailants, eventually causing him to collapse in the hail of undead reinforcements. “The whole Whiterun guard must be here!” commented Byrlock, drawing his bow to assist Trop-Too. He and the others were still inside the guardian circle, safe from the swarming zombies, but they were still helping, or trying, to save Trop-Too by firing arrows or casting spells of ice. Kaldrin knew that to leave the circle now would be to invite death by the zombified guards, and yet he was powerless to help the fallen Argonian from his position. Torn between common sense and saving his new friend, he felt anger build inside. He was in the state of mind to let it flow, to let his anger take over, to crush as many of these creatures as he could before falling to their blades. But he stopped. Looking down at Dro-gro-Bulag’s linen wrapped corpse, he remembered the old orc’s wise words. .”Let it consume you and you’ll wind up just like me. Control your anger. That is my advice.” Sadly, Kaldrin turned back to the scene that nearly sent him over the edge of sanity. Trop-Too was no longer visible between the presses of undead bodies. Counting their numbers, he estimated about thirty or forty, all guards, angry at being denied their prize by the circle of light engraved in the cobblestone. He was limited to spitting at the ground outside the circle, swearing an oath to see the Lich that took Bulag’s life fall by his own flanged mace.

The undead were force to retreat up the road and into the city or be whittled down by Byrlock’s’ arrows and Elkim’s spells. As they fled Trop-Too’s body came into sight. He was lying face down, and Kaldrin raced out of the circle as soon as the army of zombies had gone out of sight. He knelt before his fallen comrade, turning him over slowly. The Argonian was hurt badly. His scaly skin was pockmarked by punctures and scratch marks, not the least of which was a huge gash in his left bicep. Elkim let the barrier fall as Byrlock also ran to Trop-Too’s side. “Wake up, friend. We can’t lose another so soon after the first!” The elf was in dismay. Elkim stood, aloof, watching the way into the city for any more intrusions. “Wake! Wake damn you! Wake!” The wood elf’s shouts were to no avail, as the brawler lay as still as before. “He is dead.” Byrlock announced under his breath. He walked slowly away from the group and squatted down, overcome with grief, next to Bulag’s body. Kaldrin stayed with Trop-Too a little longer before rising to his feet.
“They were both worthy of merit above and beyond the expectations of normal men.” Ha said, staring into nothingness. “We could do worse than honour their sacrifice by killing this so-called Lich once and for all.” He turned to look at the elves. “We press on into the city, and return for their bodies after we finish.”
“And if our efforts get us turned into...those things?” Byrlock stammered through his grief.
“Then we will take as many of those thrice cursed whoreson beasts with us as we can. And then.” He addressed them both solemnly. “We meet our friends in Sovngarde.”

They composed themselves patiently, taking in the deaths of their comrades like true warriors. Then they strode onwards, intent on death, honour or both, as long as they dragged the Lich lord into the darkest pits of Oblivion before they died.

The three reached the main gates of Whiterun to find them smashed to splinters. “There may be another ambush beyond.” warned Byrlock.
“Then we will have our vengeance fresh and bleeding.” Kaldrin replied. This comment drew wary glances between the elves, but they made no effort to speak. They were trailing behind the Nord, and by the time they caught up he was already past the gates and inside the city proper. The buildings were still standing, and for all they knew there could still be people inside. Again, no corpses in sight, and Elkim raised an eyebrow. “This Lich must be one of considerable power to marshal a horde of this size.”
“Thanks for making me feel better.” retorted Byrlock, but his insult was lacklustre. He was tormented by the death of Bulag and Trop-Too.
They continued at a cautious walk, perceptive of every threat. They carried on past the Drunken Huntsman and Warmaidens and into the bazaar. Nothing was there to greet them but empty stalls and spilled goods. They were on the verge of turning to go up the stairs on their left, into the upper city, when a women’s shout from inside the Bannered Mare inn stopped them in their tracks. “No! Don’t go beyond! Come in here!” came the yell through an opened window. The door was pulled open and the party rushed inside, a burly Nord mercenary pushing it shut behind them. They were met by the few survivors of the Whiterun invasion, a motley bunch indeed. In total, there were a Nordic bard, an armoured mercenary, a terrified Imperial couple, a child being comforted by his mother, a Redguard woman in a blacksmiths apron and three heavy-set warriors in matching sets of heavy steel. “Where have you come from?” asked a Nord woman from behind the bar.
“From outside the city.” answered Byrlock. “We were fighting the Lich but he escaped. Is that what caused this? Where is everybody else?”
“Most of us fled up to the Dragonsreach in search of the Jarl’s protection.” said the Redguard blacksmith gravely. “We were blocked off by the undead, so we came here to fend off the attacks.”
“And it worked.” added the tall mercenary. Everyone remained in silence for a moment more, at least until the barkeep offered the newcomers a drink to settle their nerves. Elkim reached for his coin purse but the lady waved her hand. “That won’t be necessary. Knowing it’s not as bad as we thought is payment enough.” Grateful for the drink, the party sat down. The rest of the living followed suit, and soon everybody was having a private conversation in a low tone, for fear of attracting attention. “So” began the barkeep. “What brings you here?”

After finishing their tale, the barkeep poured them more ale and proposed a toast. “These brave men have travelled from the Black Sparrow to Whiterun, and have lost two of their number along the way. They seek to avenge the deaths of their comrades-in-arms by killing the foul Lord at the head of this invasion. I propose a toast! To Kaldrin’s Avengers!”
“Kaldrin’s Avengers!” echoed the crowd joyously, unafraid of the hidden horde outside.
“Honour, death or both!” yelled Byrlock. Everyone in the inn was invigorated by the cheer, and the leader of the trio of warriors stood up and spoke aloud “The Companions will lend their hand to Kaldrin and his Avengers! Honour or death!”
His words caused the mercenary to stand up too. “I, Houdrann Grey-Mane, pledge my sword to your quest, Kaldrin!”
The bard also rose, drawing his sword and lifting a nearby hide shield, left behind by someone else. “Should you succeed, I wish to turn your quest into a song that will inspire generations to come. I will come too!”
That rounded the total to eight fighters, and as they were about to depart, a small voice yelled from behind “I want to come! I am old enough! I can help!” the boy, only about ten years, was struggling against the grip of his weeping mother.
“No!” she screamed. “You’re staying here!”
“But mom! I want to help too!”
“You’re not leaving! Not after your father...” she stopped short, and burst into tears, the boy still trying to get free.
“Listen boy.” Kaldrin towered over the child, and looked him in the eye, not with menace, but with understanding. “You do not know of war. Of death. We have a duty to avenge our fallen brethren. You have no such binding.”
“But I can fight! Honour and glory!” the boy protested.
“You probably can. I don’t doubt that. But you have your whole life to fight, to become a hero. If you died now, how would anyone remember you?” his question drove the boy into thought.
“But surely I can help? I could distract them, or run ahead and tell you what’s coming?” the child was eager for glory.
“You must stay. You are too young, and it would not do for your mother to be alone now, would it? Stay here. Be brave, and look after her.” When that made the boys head bow in shame, Kaldrin added “and I’ll bring you back the sword of the first creature I slay, and you can keep it.” The boy’s eyes lit up. “Really? You’d do that?”
“I give you my word. Now stay, protect your mother. You’ll be a legend yet, you just wait.” The boy nodded in understanding and turned back to his grieving mother. Kaldrin turned to exit the door, being met in the empty market by the other seven. “Let’s kill this monster.” A roar went up at that. “Honour! Glory! Death! Hoorah!”
And with that they set off up the stairs into the Cloud District, into honour, death, or the mouths of slavering undead...

“So, where be our first port of call?” asked the bard innocently. He seemed nervous, wary of all the hiding places that undead could lurk.
“Dragonsreach I suppose. To meet up with the Jarl and his people.” said the tall mercenary Houdrann Grey-Mane.
“No.” Kaldrin’s voice was like steel. “We must prevent any more from rising from their sleep.”
Byrlock gasped. “The Hall of the Dead!”
“Exactly” gritted Kaldrin. So their destination was set, and they walked in silence. Still no zombies could be seen, and this set the group on edge.
“Should we check the houses for other living?” asked one of the Companions.
“Nay, it may set off an ambush or trap.” The bard replied.
“We will never free Whiterun if cowardice is our guide.”
“Then perhaps you two should go now and leave it to us” chuckled the mercenary, putting a stop to the needless argument.
As they trudged on to the Hall, the air suddenly grew colder despite the sun above them. “Foul magic is at work here. I can feel it.” muttered Elkim.
“You ain’t seen anything yet” claimed Byrlock. He pointed to the huge palace of Dragonsreach. “Look”

True to his word, Elkim’s theory was dwarfed by the sight that stood before them. The massive building was covered in ice, thick and hard. It covered the roof, the windows, the sides, leaving no way in or out to be seen. “The Jarl may be imprisoned” said the Companions leader, lifting his two hatchets. “Be prepared.”
“We must not go. The dead could be out by now.” Houdrann stated bluntly.
“But the Jarl...”
“He must wait. Who’s to say that by the time we reach him there is an army of our ancestors waiting for us?” Houdrann argued. The Companion sighed, and pressed on.

They found the metal door to the Hall of the Dead opened and ajar. They entered slowly, Kaldrin at their head. The chapel was dimly lit, and benches on either side were smashed and broken. The shrine of Arkay itself was untouched, and as they moved to examine it a cry from one of the companions bringing up the rear turned their heads. A man, shrouded in red robes, stood clutching a chair leg. He was panting and looking down at the warrior he had just struck. He lifted his head to see the rest of Kaldrin’s party staring at him, confused. The priest frowned, then gasped and helped the wounded man to his feet. “Sorry! I didn’t know! I thought you-“he stammered.
“No need. It was my fault for not announcing myself first” the Companion said hollowly, wincing in pain at the lump forming on the back of his head.
“Thank Arkay you came. I was wondering how much longer I would last!”
“What do you mean” asked Byrlock.
“I have been fighting off the things that entered here. None got past me and the dead resting below are safe from corruption. But thank Arkay! You came to deliver me from this hell! The priest was overjoyed at seeing them. “Thank the Eight Divines!” he stuttered, collapsing on one of the pews that were still intact. The party looked around in bewilderment.
“You mean to say that you fought of dozens of undead.” The bard began. “With a chair leg?”
“I had nothing better. And my true weapon was my faith” he said, dangling his amulet of Arkay for all to see. “He mended my wounds and gave me strength to continue. I was here for a day and a night. But now that you have arrived, I can leave.”
“You should head back to the Bannered Mare. There are more survivors there, and you need a rest.” Houdrann told him.
“Thank Arkay.” The priest replied lifting himself from his pew with aching arms and walking towards the exit. “And something else, too.” He said on his way out. “The leader of these monsters went up to Dragonsreach. He seemed intent on reaching it, and as I fought here I felt a tugging at my soul.” He stopped, remembering. “Whatever he is up too, and how close he is to finishing, he cannot be allowed to finish. I fear that if he does the whole of Skyrim, possibly the whole of Tamriel-“he stopped again, his meaning clear to all. “Good luck. And gods be with you.” And with that, the lonely priest left his wrecked chapel, leaving Kaldrin’s Avengers deep in thought.

They left the chapel soon after, heading for Dragonsreach. The priest’s prophecy had left them in doubt. Was this Lich really powerful enough to engulf the whole of Tamriel? They had little time to meditate, so brisk was their pace, and they reached the icy palace in a minute or less. They were met by a veritable army of undead, all hammering away at the frozen gates. Why seal some of his forces outside the palace? They could not think on that now, because one of the zombified guards had turned his head and raised his axe high, rasping a shout that called his former comrades to do battle with Kaldrin and his Avengers. The pathway into Dragonsreach was to become a battlefield as the opposing forces clashed on icy floors beneath icy archways.

gozmonster

Sorry this one took awhile!

Part 3: Icy Encounters

Elkim immediately started spouting the words of another guardian circle while Byrlock fired an arrow into the screaming guard, penetrating his opened maw and piercing strait through the back of its neck. Kaldrin and two of the Companions, armed with sword and shield, held the line while the bard, Houdrann and the Companion with two axes circled around to hack at the flanks of the charging zombies with sword, hatchet and falchion. The first of the rotting horde slammed into the shields of Kaldrin and his linemen, one toppling over the head of a surprised shield-brother. It was quickly put down by Byrlock’s arrow as the rest hit the front of the group. They tried to bash their way through, but the warriors were stalwart in their defence and gave no ground. They stabbed back at the creatures, desperately trying to hold them off. The men who had flanked the undead were now knee deep in the bodies of their kills, the bard singing a tune of battle at the top of his voice. Houdrann took a glancing blow from a clawed hand and was staggered, but he then cleaved his attacker to the waist with his falchion. The Companion’s leader was literally going nuts, spinning and sweeping his dual blades with a bestial savagery. Elkim was still chanting his spell when he was knocked to the ground hard by some invisible force. Byrlock yelled out and bent to help his fallen friend even as the carnage resumed around him. The warriors with shields backed up to better cover the elves, grudgingly giving ground to their unliving attackers.

The whole group was in danger of being swamped by the sheer weight of the reeking horde when a roar went up from the centre of the battle. A dark, furred shape was seen ripping through the army of dead, shrieking horribly at every kill. The rotting soldiers did not fear the beast, but were no match for it as it cut them down mercilessly with claw and tooth. Houdrann backed away with shock, still fighting, as the creature cleaved its way towards him. Houdrann was by no means a small man but this monster was easily a foot taller than he. It had the face of a distorted wolf, snarling as it beat back the undead. Its arms were as long as Houdrann’s two handed claymore and it moved with startling ferocity and speed. He was about to slash at its side when a Companion yelled from the other side of the path “No! It’s Jalruc! He’s on our side!” Houdrann looked back at the wolf-like ally, nodding his head. “You’d better keep those teeth to yourself, wolf-man.” As he said this a heavy undead guard, the feathered end of an arrow sticking out of its mouth, swung its axe in a horizontal swipe, cutting Houdrann’s head clean off. The werewolf howled in anger and knocked the guard off the path with a powerful backhand lunge and down the sheer drop below, but the damage had been done. Houdrann was no more.

Where the reinforcements came from, nobody could guess. They just kept on coming, their losses replaced almost instantly. No one (except save the werewolf Jalruc) could see over the mass of fiendish once-men, preoccupied as they were with killing them. Elkim had fallen unconscious, for a spell of halting had been cast over the whole of Dragonsreach, and Byrlock had rejoined the chaos, running out of arrows quickly and then laying into the horde with his longsword. One of the shield bearing Companions had fallen to the blade of an assailant, and the other cursed and swore to fight all the harder to avenge his friend’s death. Kaldrin was deep in thought despite the bedlam that was continuing on the pathway. He knew that the Lich was inside the frozen Dragonsreach, and he knew that eventually the undead would be eroded by this chokepoint. He knew that they were in fact coming through the ice-covered gate in a similar fashion as the Lich lord’s escape from his wrath. All that was left was to ensure that he survived long enough to kill the bastard.

The swarming zombies were whittled down in a gruelling, hard fought battle that tested the limits of Kaldrin and his Avengers. They were buffeted by numbers of at least a hundred, and they stood firm. Though no one had survived unscathed, least of which the poor Houdrann, they had fought and won a bloody victory all the same. Yet, the Frost Lich still breathed (or lack thereof), and he still wove a terrible unknown evil within the fortress encased in frost. Only the undead lord’s re-killing could stop him, and unless Kaldrin’s Avengers could walk through solid ice, there showed no way of that happening anytime soon.
“We cannot get through!” cried Byrlock, who was chiselling away at the ice with a war axe from a fallen zombie.
“Keep trying!” yelled Jalruc’s friend, also hammering at the steel like frost alongside the werewolf, who had now reverted to human form and was hacking at the ice, naked. Kaldrin alone remained aloof. He could see no way to breach this hold. The ice was impenetrable, at least for their weapons, and only the strength of a brutish creature held the key to unlocking this cold padlock. “We must find another way around, see if a window is unbarred.” He said grimly.
“You know as well as I it is untrue.” Said Byrlock, annoyed. “Perhaps if you helped we would be through by now!” Kaldrin pondered how to get through. None in his group had the sheer force required to break the sheet of magical ice. None except-

“Miss me?” droned a rough voice from behind them. The whole group turned, finding a tall figure in a hood, arms bare from ripped clothes, standing silhouetted against the dying sun. His skin was scaly, coloured dark green. He stood higher than any man present. He looked down at the corpses, and coughed.
He began to walk towards the frozen gate heavily, everyone gawping at this lone figure. Upon reaching the gate he stopped. Drank something yellow from a delicate vial. Grunted. Threw a loose scale onto the ground. Then he leant backwards, pulling both fists back, drawing for the inevitable lunge. Then he rocketed for the ice, fists raised, his face still hidden under the hood, muscles bulging. He made contact, sending a shower of ice shards crashing down on him. But he stood still, braving the rain of ice even as those around him ducked, looking down towards his boots, thinking. “I should remember that move” he said, addressing Kaldrin.

“After all, you knocked me out with it, remember?”

And Trop-Too laughed once more.

They entered Dragonsreach, weapons bared. The inside of the palace was just as frozen as the rest, only with spires and spikes of ice bulging up from every crevice. They were spread out enough to avoid but they inhibited movement to some extent. Trop-Too described his return to the baffled party, including the now conscious Elkim. “I was laying there when I awoke. The Histskin had spared me from death. I lay there a little longer until I heard a moan.” He grimaced. “I looked around, and jumped up when I saw him. He was trying to attack, but his bindings kept him pinned.”
“Who? Who did you see?” urged Byrlock. Trop-Too looked at him sadly.
“I saw Dro-gro-Bulag trying to rip free from his wrappings.” This shocked the party to a stop. Dro-gro-Bulag a zombie?
“Impossible.” Elkim said, wide eyed with disbelief.
“I hoped it was not so. But it was.” Trop-To had lost all the laughter from his eyes now. “You can’t deny solid proof. He was screaming to be let out. I knew that he was not on my side, but to kill him...I couldn’t do that.”
“So you left him?” In the middle of the road?” Byrlock was furious.
“Nay. I dragged him to a tree, and hid him there so as to avoid attention. The bindings were tight, so I doubt he could get loose.”
“The guy’s a bear in orcish form, Trop. He’ll find a way out.” warned Byrlock.
“Well if he does, I’ll leave him to you.”
The party continued through the frozen palace, finding no more foes and no sign of the Lich. The Jarl was also nowhere to be seen. “Strange.” Elkim noted. “They should be in here, unless they’re hiding away...” Then they were jumped.

Only a few undead this time, but amongst them was the deceased Jarl of Whiterun. He carried a huge battleaxe in his cold, dead hands, and was surrounded by his Housecarls. They were almost upon Kaldrin’s party when a screech put them to a halt. From a side corridor came a spectral, floating figure.
It was clad in the ragged remains of a black mages robe, now torn and tattered. No shoes, its bare feet were stripped of flesh. Its face was unimaginably elderly, looking thousands of years old, and though skin still remained on its visage it was pale blue and wrinkly. Eyes shone with blue embers that danced around inside their sockets, and its scalp was covered up by a black crown made of metal the colour of night. And in that crown was a blue crystal. It pulsed with energy and shone brighter than any fire. The Lich lord held in its hand a book, which it opened and began to read quietly. Nobody, not even the motionless court of the Jarl, moved a muscle for a tense minute and a half. Then the unfathomable happened.

The Frost Lich spoke.

Its tongue was black and thin, and its voice sounded as creaky and ancient as he looked. An odd, slithery accent accompanied his whispers. Welcome.” Its words were stretched and distorted, and dragged on for a while after it said them. You have breached my castle, I see.” It slowly floated towards Kaldrin, who stood with his mace held low, poised for action. And I am glad. You can experience my ritual firsthand, and your bard can whisper the songs of your deaths in Sovngarde. The Lich paused, anticipating an answer. It got none. “My sleep has been boring and uneventful. You dare to rob me of conversation? Do you even know my name?” It was Trop-Too that spoke.
“Sorry. Never was one for ancient history.”
You must be so ignorant. The Lich droned in a mocking, sad tone. To know that you only live for another few years, or in your case, a few minutes.
“We’ll see about that.” Kaldrin bravely stepped up to the bait. “You have killed two of my friends, one of which is standing before you. We will avenge him, and Whiterun, and all the people you killed.” Kaldrin’s voice was rising in fury. “And we will kill you for raising their bodies in this perverse ritual! And we will kill you for the destruction you caused this land! And we will kill you for raising yourself from the grave, where you belong!” Kaldrin was bubbling with barely harnessed rage by now, but the Lich remained cool. I remember my first death. It was a release. It opened my eyes to immortality. It gave me power. It gave me this. He gestured with a skinless hand to the crystal that was sending bright blue light across the large room. “Hope you enjoyed it, you soulless bone bag.” Rumbled Kaldrin slowly. “’Cause your about to feel it all over again.” And with that, he leapt into the fray, eager to finish this once and for all.

ForgottenBlade

Wolfbrother
Man, i love this :D Would it be too much bother, i wonder, if i asked you to read my Thingymajigger? It's still in infancy, that is to say, i've really only got the prolouge to work with :p Anyway I'd appreciate it, and keep going with these :D

Neriad13

Premium Member
Epic! I'm loving the relationship between Kaldrin and Dro-gro-Bulag. I'm so excited about seeing him as a zombie and how his friends handle the experience (or is he actually alive after all and merely trying to escape his bindings before the zombies eat him?).

Then there's the great, escalating "Oh-plops Factor" that just keeps getting more intense as the adventure wears on and the situation worsens. I'm definitely looking forward to Kaldrin vs. the Lich round two.

gozmonster

Part 4: Loose Ends

The Lich anticipated the brash move on Kaldrin’s part, and swiftly sidestepped the jumping slash. In the same instant, the frozen bodyguard snapped out of their statue like trance and engaged the remainder of the party. They numbered only five compared to Kaldrin’s six, but the Jarl himself, turned as he was, was a fearsome foe indeed.

He immediately went after Elkim, sensing his power, and barged into the elf without even lifting his axe. Byrlock let fly an arrow into his lower back but it was of little use as the monster discarded its axe and began to chew on Elkim’s shoulder. The pinned elf screamed a spell in panic and the Jarl was sent hurtling off of him in a cloud of cold. Byrlock whistled “If only I could do that...” But his attention was needed elsewhere, and he began to slice and shoot at the rest of the guard. The two companions were shearing away at two of the zombies, weapons a blur as they avenged their fallen comrade. The bard was not much of a match against his attacker, but when Trop-Too stood before him, yelling at the guards to fight him, he began to sing.

Kaldrin and the Frost Lich circled each other on the fray of the melee, the Lich hovering steadily fully three feet of the ground. “So predictable, Kaldrin. You must plan these things in advance. Look at me. I prepared my own death to achieve this.”
The Frost Lich knew his name, and that unnerved him. But Kaldrin pushed these thoughts aside, reasoning that to kill him was the only way to restore his dignity. He surged forwards, his mace hitting the Lich with an overhead swing that landed on the floating creature’s left thigh. Heaving, Kaldrin pulled the embedded mace downwards, forcing the Lich to ground level. The Lich merely looked up and screamed, blue fire racing from his eyes and striking Kaldrin in the chest. He staggered back a few steps, but recovered enough to throw himself at the Lich once again. “You have fire in your soul, Kaldrin.” teased the Lich. Show me it. Show me your anger.” He dodged the wild swipes of Kaldrin’s mace with ease as he talked. “Dro-gro-Bulag told you otherwise, didn’t he? He told you to hold it back.” Kaldrin stopped attacking briefly, and met the Lich lord’s mocking stare. Well, he is dead now isn’t he?”

Kaldrin replied savagely “By your hand, demon. And he isn’t dead. You reanimated him! Your witchcraft is torturing him as we speak!” The Lich only smiled lipless.
Your anger is strong for his passing. Embrace it. Show me your desire.”

“The only way I will honour him is with the head of his killer!” and with that, Kaldrin dropped into a low stance, advancing steadily. The Lich muttered a spell and bombarded him with a blizzard of ice shards. But Kaldrin’s shield deflected the barrage and he closed the distance with a lunging sideward’s smash that hit the Lich in the side of the hip. A sickening crack was heard and a flash of bone whipped out the other side. But the Lich smiled still.

“I have seen it, Kaldrin. I have seen your death.” Kaldrin crunched his mace on the Lich’s shoulder, forcing it to its knees. “And it is heroic indeed. You fall valiantly, at the hands of a beast worthy of your hand.” “Kaldrin cracked its head to the left with his shield. “But you will die. And I will save you.” Kaldrin met the Lich’s right arm with his mace head, sending it to the ground beside him. “And I will finish what you prevented here. I will bring back Ulsading!” The Nord brought his mace down onto the Lich’s head, where it broke the haft from the force of the blow and left a bleeding cut from temple to nose. “And I will be reborn. I will return through you. And you will feel pain, Kaldrin. You will feel pain beyond even my vision.” Kaldrin sent his fist into the Lichs grimacing face hard, knocking the few remaining teeth from its maw. ”You will feel pain, Kaldrin!” The Lich laughed evilly. “You will feel my spirit, gushing through you!” Kaldrin hammered his shield into the Lichs neck, breaking both with a dual snap of bone and wood. You will feel the essence of Myark in your blood!” Kaldrin grabbed its lower jaw and began to pull with both hands. “And I will be again!” The creature laughed and laughed until Kaldrin tore its jaw clean off of its head.

“You shall talk no more, demon.” He muttered menacingly. He kneeled in front of the Lich, barely a few inches from its horrifying face. “And I will kill you. Again. And again. And again.” He picked up the handle of his broken mace. “Until Oblivion gets sick of your hairy arse” he moved the sharp handle underneath the Lich’s palate “and vomits you to the bottom of the earth!” and with that, he shoved the shattered tip of the broken mace through the Lich’s skull, strait through one end and out the other. And he did not stop there. He wrenched and yanked until the head came ripping off the torso, dripping black ichor that froze as soon as it hit the floor. The crystal embedded in the Lich’s crown finally stopped glowing, abruptly switching off like a blown out candle.

The Jarl and his ghastly entourage dropped stone still, and Kaldrin made his way, carrying the head of the Lich, all the way to the balcony or Dragonsreach, his battered followers trudging behind him. He looked over the stunning view, taking in the mountains and the clouds. Then, with his last spurt of energy, he hoisted the head high into the air with one arm, screaming “You are dead, demon! And if I have to kill you every day of my life until death, I will do it! Myark the Lich-“he spat blood “-Lord! YOU ARE FINISHED!” and he threw the head of the dead necromancer far into the valleys below Dragonsreach, his oath resounding on the huge mountain range, echoing as far as the winds would allow it. The head tumbled to the depths of the gorge, over and over till it reached the bottom with such force that it was splattered, crown and all, onto the stony floor with a gory splash.
“Sure hope there are no farmers down there.” muttered Byrlock. “Imagine that landing in your cabbage patch, or worse, your own hat.” Everyone was silent for a moment, then burst out laughing. Even Elkim laughed at Byrlock’s joke.

Only Kaldrin remained silent, gazing out towards the horizon, watching the sunset. He was clad in iron armor, twisted and bent out of proportion by the infernal flames of the Lich. His helmet, shield and mace lay broken on the floor of Dragonsreach palace; his friend lay broken on the road to Whiterun.

But he is intact. He was not broken. He was not beaten.

He was victorious. He is the survivor. He freed Whiterun and avenged Bulag’s death.

He was the killer of zombies, the leader of the Avengers, barrier of the wicked.

He is Kaldrin the Lich-Slayer. And this is his story.

This is "Kaldrin's Avengers" just about wrapped up (in Bulag's case anyway) and I hope you enjoyed the epicness! This is only the first chapter in (I hope) a series. Next up, "Kaldrin's Revelations" See you all soon!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts