It's so nice when people don't suck - an ESO story

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lucid

There's a lot of (mostly justified) bashing about the jerky behaviour of players in MMOs in general, and in ESO specifically. Sometimes it sucks to share the world with other people, and yes - sometimes it seems like the most vocal MMO players have the maturity of a snotty 12-year old. But I'd like to tell a story about a different experience.

A group dungeon was the last achievement I needed in the zone I was in this weekend, and none of my friends were online. I did not use the grouping tools, I just put a request out to the zone chat. Within minutes I had a dual-dagger wielding Nightblade, two heavy-armored heavy hitters (who were each experienced enough to ask if they should fill the tank or DPS role), and myself as the healer.

We fought so well together it was as if we had been working as a group forever. There was open and generous trading of gear and items. Chatting was both lighthearted and minimal. We swept through that Crypt of Hearts, not easily, but efficiently. Nobody died.

When the boss was bested and the skill point awarded I thanked my group and asked if there was anything they needed. One responded "how about some more group dungeons?". The others agreed, and a plan came together. We spent hours playing and fighting together, taking breaks between dungeons for trading and equipment repair (and tending to real life needs) before regrouping and going back into battle.

When all was said and done, we said our "Thank Yous and Goodbyes" and disbanded our group, probably never to interact with one another again. A group of random strangers came together, worked together towards some shared goals, had a lot of fun together, and went our separate ways. It was a tremendous amount of fun, and the type of experience I've always enjoyed most about online gaming.

JoeReese

Lucid

some happy ho*****ops video

But with swords, daggers and staves. And lots of blood and setting people on fire. And swearing. And looting the dead. But otherwise, yeah - just like that. ;)

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
There's a lot of (mostly justified) bashing about the jerky behaviour of players in MMOs in general, and in ESO specifically. Sometimes it sucks to share the world with other people, and yes - sometimes it seems like the most vocal MMO players have the maturity of a snotty 12-year old. But I'd like to tell a story about a different experience.

A group dungeon was the last achievement I needed in the zone I was in this weekend, and none of my friends were online. I did not use the grouping tools, I just put a request out to the zone chat. Within minutes I had a dual-dagger wielding Nightblade, two heavy-armored heavy hitters (who were each experienced enough to ask if they should fill the tank or DPS role), and myself as the healer.

We fought so well together it was as if we had been working as a group forever. There was open and generous trading of gear and items. Chatting was both lighthearted and minimal. We swept through that Crypt of Hearts, not easily, but efficiently. Nobody died.

When the boss was bested and the skill point awarded I thanked my group and asked if there was anything they needed. One responded "how about some more group dungeons?". The others agreed, and a plan came together. We spent hours playing and fighting together, taking breaks between dungeons for trading and equipment repair (and tending to real life needs) before regrouping and going back into battle.

When all was said and done, we said our "Thank Yous and Goodbyes" and disbanded our group, probably never to interact with one another again. A group of random strangers came together, worked together towards some shared goals, had a lot of fun together, and went our separate ways. It was a tremendous amount of fun, and the type of experience I've always enjoyed most about online gaming.
I went through the crypt of hearts and had a similar experience only difference is later on we all ended up on each others friends list and proceeded to hit several other group dungeons

Lucid

I went through the crypt of hearts and had a similar experience only difference is later on we all ended up on each others friends list and proceeded to hit several other group dungeons

Maybe the Crypt of Hearts is the sweet spot for putting groups together.

I ran Volenfell again last night in response to a request for heals, in return they helped me sweep all three dolmens in the desert and the two bosses I hadn't hit yet. Ive had far more positive ESO group experiences than negative ones.

Btw - thanks for the rep :)

Balomew

I hope I'll have a similar experience in the future. I've only recently started playing ESO. It's intimidating how experienced everyone else is compared to me. The chat is usually civil and most players seem mature.

Reaper87

吉光
It's great how online gaming allows people from all over the world to work together, and to be one cohesive unit in video games :)

Some people can be genuinely nice, but others are just needlessly annoying :mad: *cough* Halo: Reach Grifball betrayers, you know who are! :rolleyes: *cough*

JoeReese

I hope I'll have a similar experience in the future. I've only recently started playing ESO. It's intimidating how experienced everyone else is compared to me. The chat is usually civil and most players seem mature.
You must be on console or in a different alliance than me. PC zone chat for Daggerfall is ... disturbing at best.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
You must be on console or in a different alliance than me. PC zone chat for Daggerfall is ... disturbing at best.

Lol - EU Ebonheart and it has been disturbing at times. Plus some people must be using the camera without realising the microphone defaults to it without a headset and the background conversations have been everything from amusing to disturbing to boring to adults only.

Benthos

Proud Mer
I hope to have some great experiences while playing ESO, I don't have any stories really to share on this subject but I've been working a lot lately, my upcoming paycheck will get a dent because I'll finally buy this game but since my PC can't handle it, I hope to get it for XBONE. Anyone here have positive XBONE experiences??

Balomew

JoeReese No, actually. I'm open to playing on any alliance, but I'm currently playing as a Covenant character. The zone chat didn't seem that disturbing to me. I don't play with a mic either - my current headset is broken.
ZeroDragon I'm a bit confused by what you're saying, so could you please rephrase all that for me?

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
Balomew - I am on PS4 (I played the PC beta and I prefer PC, but I am in a gaming community where more people were getting the PS4 version and we wanted to form a Guild of like minded people. With reference to what Ancano says, I agree with much of what is said but only from others. There are people who will rip you off if you want to trade or buy things. That's one of the reasons we formed a guild so we have more control with what we need. Everyone is over 18 and is respectful of everyone else or they get booted.

As to what I said, the in game chat is either guild/group/area or all or none. If area chat is active, you can hear everyone in the area. Good for a general shout to group up. For those people who have a camera (I do because I occasionally stream gameplay), if they do not have a headset plugged in and chat is active, the microphone in the camera is quite sensitive and can pick up what other people in the room say.

Examples:
Have you made up the baby's bottle ?
Why haven't you fed the f&%£ing baby ?
Will you get off that f*&£ing game ?!
Get your own beer you lazy sod !
You're turning me on - give me a bj while I'm playing.
Give me the f*&£ing controller you f*&£ing bastard.

Not exactly what I want my 14 yr old daughter to hear even though I know much of the language is prevalent in the school playground.

There have also been examples of drunken singing, smashing plates and my own personal favourite was a friend of mine who had a headset on when his cat brought a live crow in the house. People were staying in the area just to hear him trying to catch the bird and scream at the cat.

Lucid

If you are on the list of delicate sensibilities I have offended in Glenumbra, Coldharbour, or Cyrodiil - I am amused truly sorry. If I offended you anywhere else in the world, it clearly wasn't bad enough for you to report me so I could hear about it from a GM. Thats on you :p

JoeReese

If you are on the list of delicate sensibilities I have offended in Glenumbra, Coldharbour, or Cyrodiil - I am amused truly sorry. If I offended you anywhere else in the world, it clearly wasn't bad enough for you to report me so I could hear about it from a GM. Thats on you :p

Oh you know I'm waiting to hear from you in zone chat.

Brofski

I've found this pretty much every time I've done dungeons. Either with the group finder tool or in zone chat. maybe the annoying kids don't do dungeons?

But like you, whoever is in the group, it's always worked well. After dungeon is over, "Anyone using light armour" "Yeh, I am, I got some heavy stuff if you want to swap" etc.

To be honest, it was the same in PVP. Started playing that, got invited to groups, some people remembered my name so invited me next time they saw me, now in three guild for PVP and it's a great laugh. One of the guilds is great. Everyone deposits a LOT into the guild bank (it's almost always full and I think we have just over enough to have a bank) and people only take what they genuinely need. Everyone throws provisioning ingredients in there for a guy who's high as provisioning. he then makes a LOAD of food and sticks it back in for people to use just before PVP or in PVE if they need.

Balomew

Brofski I have a question for you. I'm more of a PVE type. Could you tell me about PVP in ESO? Maybe I'll try it out if I'm more familiar with how it works.

Ancano

High Justiciar
So originally now I had made this long, drawn out dramatic post. Decided to take it down and was discussing this with another friend of mine.

Regardless of my experience(s), I think one important thing is to protect your Player ID.

If you do any of the following, 'they' can get their hands on your ID and cause problems:

- Anyone you befriend
- Any Guild you join (also can track you too)
- Any kind of Zone chat (ID can be reverse lookup thru Ignore)

So that's all I'm going to say about that. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts