Is it necessary to invest perks in either Heavy or Light armor?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nightshade

if you're planning on using either exclusively, of course.

I use Light Armor and the only perks I'm looking to put into the skill is Agile Defender (5 possible ranks). This increases your armor rating, but can Smithing make up for this? It's possible to increase armor rating with Smithing, but how much exactly? (I'm investing perks into the entire Smithing tree, by the way.)

I don't want to use perks in Light Armor if it'll be unnecessary later (or make me too maxed out with Smithing combined, when I could use perks in another tree).

I hope this question doesn't sound too silly or stupid. Thanks for any help!

MrCostari

Depends in that difficulty you play on.
if you play on novice, you can survive naked with just a weapon.
On adept, a shield and a weapon is enough.
On master, you are going to need a lot of good armor!

Nightshade

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I didn't want to put a ton of perks into Agile Defender if the armor cap could already be hit without so much investment.

MrCostari

Ok now I learned something to :p
Can anybody tell me some more about the heavy armor cap?
Don't really get it so far.
I put 2/5 in the first perk of heavy armor. And I before I put more I would like to know if it is worth it :)

A5ko

Dual-Wielding Dragon Destroyer
The armour cap is 567. At that point, further increase in armour has no affect whatsoever. So stacking insane amounts of armour past this point serves no purpose.

MrCostari

Ah ok, and I read something about 80%?
What does that have to do with it?
So which perks in the heavy armor tree should I not invest in?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I am playing on master difficulty and I have not put in any perks into armor skills. And I don't even use alteration spells for extra protection. It's mostly because my character only uses ranged attacks (destruction and archery) so protection isn't all that necessary for me. However, it would be nice if I didn't just die in 1 or 2 hits... I'm just saying it's possible to not invest in any and play through the game without much trouble. My character is only level mid-30ish so it could be wrong.

A5ko

So which perks in the heavy armor tree should I not invest in?

That is personal preference. it really does depend on what you want from your character. I would suggest Conditioning always, but that's just me.

A5ko

I'm just saying it's possible to not invest in any and play through the game without much trouble. My character is only level mid-30ish so it could be wrong.

Whilst if you're very careful you could go through the game in this manner, however there will be times where Ancient Dragons or other such beasties will one shot you over and over until you have the tactics down to a fine art.

Some people like this playstyle and there is nothing wrong with it, for everyone else, there's Mastercard... I mean... Armour perks.

MrCostari

That is personal preference. it really does depend on what you want from your character. I would suggest Conditioning always, but that's just me.
What about the right tree?
I don't think I'm going to need 25% + 25% armor bonus if I wear the whole set, right?

A5ko

What about the right tree?
I don't think I'm going to need 25% + 25% armor bonus if I wear the whole set, right?

The right side of the tree is lacking, but I had an abundance of spare perks and maxed it out anyway.

Bare in mind, depending on what armour you are using depends on how many perks you will need to invest in to hit the armour cap. Daedric takes the least amount of perks.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Whilst if you're very careful you could go through the game in this manner, however there will be times where Ancient Dragons or other such beasties will one shot you over and over until you have the tactics down to a fine art.
yup. That sounds exactly like my gameplay. I am untouchable (after over 10 quick-loads of practice) :]

MrCostari

Ah ok.
You guys are so helpfull :)
I learn a lot here!
Does damage of weapons also has a cap?
And dragonscale is the best light armor or glass?

A5ko

Ah ok.
You guys are so helpfull :)
I learn a lot here!
Does damage of weapons also has a cap?
And dragonscale is the best light armor or glass?

I don't believe a weapon damage cap has been indentified just yet (I could be wrong).

Dragonscale is the best Light Armour statistically, but because most armours can hit the cap, it's personal preference.

MrCostari

Alright, sorry for asking this again, but I still don't fully understand it.
I need to use potions and echantments to make legendary dragonscale armor, right?
But which potions are those and where can I buy them? Just randomly in stores?
I have a blacksmith draught now and it gives me 30% better armor and weapon rating for 30 seconds.
But I asume there is something better right?

A5ko

Alright, sorry for asking this again, but I still don't fully understand it.
I need to use potions and echantments to make legendary dragonscale armor, right?
But which potions are those and where can I buy them? Just randomly in stores?
I have a blacksmith draught now and it gives me 30% better armor and weapon rating for 30 seconds.
But I asume there is something better right?

Legendary equipment comes from having a high, maxed out smithing skill and not potions. I think you are referring to using Enchantment, Alchemy and Blacksmithing to create very powerful items.

1) Make Fortify Alchemy Gear
2) Wear Fortify Alchemy Gear
3) Make Potion of Fortify Enchanting (With Fortify Alchemy Gear)
4) Drink Fortify Enchantment potion.
5) Use increased enchanting skill to create better alchemy gloves than you could previously and repeat until you hit the cap. (29% I believe)
6) When you have hit the cap create fortify smithing, AND a potion of fortify enchanting.
7) Drink the fortify ENCHANTING potion.
8) Use this to make incredible Blacksmithing equipment.
9) Equip these items and drink Fortify Smithing potion
10) Upgrade your weapons and armour with new shiny stats.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts