• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I just got Hearthfire and noticed that you can bake in it, but the food you make seems pretty underwhelming. Cooking in general seems to have only ~3 worthwhile things to make. Am I missing something?

Saozig

Hippy
Cooking and baking are largely for immersion and not for any advantage in the game, I find. The options are pretty limiting but if you like to RP, it's one more thing to add to the RP experience.

Even though I include cooking in the RPing of all my characters, I usually do not bother with baking. Why? Because it seems your Hearthfire houses have the only available working ovens in all of Skyrim. If I could bake at all my player houses, like at Breezehome, or at tavern when i spend a night, and baking ingredients were as readily available as most cooking ingredients, it might be worth the effort to incorporate more baking into my RPing. But as it is, I largely just buy baked goods like bread and sweet rolls to have with my beef stew or Elsweyr fondue rather than bake anything myself.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Yeah, baking's more just a way to make it more lifelike. I love doing it because I love baking IRL, and I've seriously found myself going "oooh, apple dumpling, how can I make that at home?" Yeah, I'm a bit of a dork. I also like to bake sweetrolls for the kids. :) It's really more for its immersion factor.

Hmm, maybe someday I'll RP the adventurer-turned-housewife. You know, raid a bandit camp, take an arrow to the knee, retire, get married, and spend the rest of my life cooking supper. <3

Willow

I decided to add a kitchen wing to my house to make it more homey with the kids. Even though I haven't baked that much I've made a couple apple dumplings just for fun. I'm rather new to gaming but enjoy roleplaying and giving my kids breakfast in the morning. I actually planted some berries for making pies in the garden area outside :)

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I decided to add a kitchen wing to my house to make it more homey with the kids. Even though I haven't baked that much I've made a couple apple dumplings just for fun. I actually planted some berries for making pies in the garden area outside :)

Agreed. I like to bake just for fun, and it makes it more homey when you have kids running around, giving them sweets and whatnot :)

jonathan90

well known member
:cool:Just my opinion,baking to me is just a waist of time...not even worth making food on skyrim.Because you get no skill for it. you are better off with a library then baking kitchen mate.

Willow

I guess it depends on how invested you are in the role-playing aspects of the game. I wish you could build the kitchen and the library, but I guess that was just too difficult for Bethesda...

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
I like how they added the new stews and stuff, Jugg of milk, butter, pies.

Anyway, it's basically for roleplaying uses, as potions can do better than any cooking, But I like it, Even If I dont use food I carry it around and cook.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts