18+ Into The Dark [Game Thread]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

TheCaptain

The Mad Conductor of Words
    John woke up a little dazed from last night he slowly got out of his stone bed which was not comfortably at all and got dressed in his armor but left his crowl down a little rule he had for when he was in a hold or a village, don't draw attention and don't scare the locals. after leaving the tavern and buying some supplies from the market he noticed the some mercenaries from last night waiting over by the gate.

casually John walked over and leaned up against a wall with his arms crossed and his distance kept, feeling hungry John decided he would eat something and pulled out a bread roll and then began to eat it.

fellowknight

The Devil In The Details
    Six-twenty-three a.m.

"Off already, are you? I hear you didn't even eat breakfast."

The fully armored and packed Baroth glanced to the side, before nodding his head in response.

"I did." Baroth said, walking past the half-awoken Calcelmo, whom strolled out of his lab area lazily. A rare and odd sight indeed. He threw the man a look over his shoulder, his lips curved into a warm smile. "A biscuit and a small glass of Orange-juice sufficed."

"Ha! You mean half a goblet! Aye! Don't forget to come back and get your stuff from that room! I can't hold it for you for too long!"

Baroth blindly threw a blind wave over his shoulder as he neared the front entrance. "Not too open-minded for a researcher, are you?"

Calcelmo mumbled a response back as Baroth pushed open the front doors, going back to his studies.

Twenty minutes later, Baroth found himself positioned near the front gates just within the market area, casually sitting on an overturned crate, slicing and munching on an apple in response to what he'd assumed the Black-haired woman told the others gathered the previous night.

It was, most times as Baroth found out, that the 'band of adventurers' would either gather at the Entryway of the city or village they were in, the place they gathered the night before, or the closest point-of-interest. Being that Baroth had check two of those places, he soon found they'd either gather here, at the gates, or they'd already left. Either way, he'd give it ten minutes before moving off to track the party down if they had indeed left.

And, sure as rain, not even a minute or so after Baroth had sat down had he noticed an oddly placed silhouette in the shadow of the buildings nearby. On closer inspection, Baroth recognized him as the man in the corner of the tavern, from the night before. The fact that he was in the shadows, away from the berth of the gates proved he was either a true loner, or at worst, a vampire. Baroth doubted the later, but given his evidence of the presence, he had to keep an eye for both.

Though, it was unmistaken the man had seen him.

As the old saying goes: If it was indeed a snake...

One by one, the others awoke and slowly gathered by the main gates, some standing, other leaning on the stone wall that made up the front gate. Once a few were gathered, the young girl from the night before ran out to meet them, sincerely apologizing for her companion's s, before leaving to go get her, as Baroth assumed. An hour later, they both returned, the later more sluggish than the former, though both made efforts to meet those awake.

"Hi. I'm here. We leaving now?" She grumbled at those present, lazily sauntering into the group.

"She means 'good morning'. That's her way of saying 'good morning', really it is." The redhead girl quickly chirped, most likely trying to apologize once again on her companion's behalf.

"How good of you to join us lesser mortals." A voice sounded, dripping with sarcasm. "Ready to go? Or would you like a nice breakfast first?"

The mercenary, or the man who had the common gear of a mercenary, shot a sarcastic remark to the exchange, the later woman in particular. Baroth took note of the exchange and pondered on whether or not to allow the woman to respond and potentially waste time, or interrupt her before she could, and try to refocus her on their goal.

The lady opened her mouth to speak, and Baroth made his choice in the moment, sitting back against the rest of the crates as he spoke.

"Because I'd love to not waste time and possibly the interest of the rest of the band, i'll be the first to say it: We have bigger issues than this." He gestured from the mercenary back to the half-awake woman. "I don't know what's in that cave and I'd rather not sit here all day waiting to find out. Now, either you two resolve this as Adults and get the issue out of the way, or you play like children and waste everyone's time. Time spent collecting our thoughts, devising a plan, and moving to execute it."

"Now I'm not gonna say anything either one of you has heard before, only because you wouldn't listen or you'd simply find a way to outsmart me. None of that matters. What does matter, however, is that we work together as a unit to figure out this bounty."

He turned his attention to the woman, whom appeared to either be in the process of attacking him or ready to spit liquid fire at him.

"And to be honest, ma'am, you were later than any of us. Under normal circumstances, that's not a big deal. But given the situation with the cave of wolves, which I think we all know to be a cover-up, it'd be preferred we not slump behind too much. As far as your comment goes, please be patient. There are others who haven't even gotten dressed yet that could be valuable additions to this party."

He calmly cut another apple slice as the lady opened her mouth to speak, her friend looking as if she'd just been hit, and the others giving off various reactions and looks. Either way, Baroth had pressed the issue of them cooperating with each other and getting a move on, before the problem had a chance to develop to any further stages.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    As the night wore on and things finally settled down people started to disperse. Some left for home, some headed up to their rooms, some departed for parts unknown. Winter and Lilumae left before they could answer Alice's questions. A little frustrating and Alice felt like Lilumae was being dragged off by the Breton teenager but she remembered that she had only just met these girls and they would see each other tomorrow as is. As everyone headed out the Redguard who tried to help give Alice some space declared his support for their adventure, then pulled her and Simus aside.

"How are you doing?" He asked with apparently genuine concern."Dont suppose you want something to drink? If I'm going to end up spending some money on a lady tonight, it might as well be for the common good."

"Thank you, but I'm fine." Alice said, flattered by his concern. "As for the drink I appreciate the offer but I'm tired and we have a big day tomorrow. My father and I are going to head back but I'd love to do a rain check. Good night ser redguard. We'll see you tomorrow."

Alice gave Thomas a polite curtsy and then headed for the door. Simus was waiting for her, ready for bed himself. The brothel they were staying at with their men was still in full swing but being commanders they had the luxury of a private room. A room with doors and windows that could be locked and enchanted to keep the sound out. Alice was spent from her breakdown in the tavern and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. Simus could barely get a "good night dad" out of her before she was fast asleep. Simus had more trouble sleeping himself. There was a potion the Stormcloak healer in his company proscribed him to help him sleep but he wasn't supposed to take it with alcohol. Last time he had done so he'd overslept by two hours and as he'd had two large meads he couldn't take it now. It wouldn't be a good idea to drink any more and he couldn't read because any light would bother Alice so he decided to get into the other bed and fall asleep as best he could.

It didn't really work. Simus tried to sleep but he was worried. This whole trip didn't feel right. Who puts a bounty on a pack of wolves? Why would anyone bother to take that bounty? Even if that's what the bounty was for, and everybody knew it wasn't, how much could it even be? The Breton girl, Winter Simus believed her name was, hadn't actually mentioned that. He'd chased off bandit gangs and highwaymen for 100 septims by himself. If the reward was that much, and it was probably about half, this group would be very unhappy. Splitting 50 septims among 10 people would be insulting pay. Alice got more than that as a weekly allowance when she was a little girl.

Those were better times for her. When she was safe and happy and had a real home. When all she had to worry about was her goings on at school and her daddy could make all her problems go away with a kiss on the head and a big hug. Now things were more complicated. She was a young woman with more complicated problems and deeper fears. Some of which her daddy just couldn't help her with. Simus lied in bed and watched Alice from across the room, snug in bed under a mountain of warm blankets and in her cute, warm pajamas underneath. He listened to her deep, slow breathing and tried to match it. She was so sweet, so peaceful. Completely opposite of the trembling wreck she was tonight. He simply didn't understand what had happened to her because he couldn't. He had never had a panic attack himself but he knew others that had. He worried that the war had done this to her. That he was somehow responsible. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't but there was nothing he could do about it right now and all he could do in the future was love her, get her help and be there for her if it happened again.

Simus got up to get a glass of water but before he could get to the pitcher Alice started to stir. She moved her legs around under her covers and started to mumble in Cyrodillic. Her right hand gripped her covers tightly and her left came out from under them and was reaching for something. Alice had a very active imagination and didn't dream like other people. A side effect of her magical...gifts. Something else Simus didn't understand. He couldn't tell what she was dreaming but it was obviously something unpleasant. He even thought she mumbled the word "vampires" a couple of times and that was very strange. Seeing as how he couldn't sleep anyway he walked over to Alice and sat down at her bedside. He took her soft pale hand into both of his wrinkled tan ones and softly rubbed it.

"Shhhhhhh." He whispered, soothing his sleeping daughter. "Shhhhhh. It's alright little faerie. Daddy's right here and he's not gonna leave you." Alice instinctively smiled at her father's touch and drew a content smile, along with a happy "mmmmmmmph". As she relaxed she grew still and that relaxed him. He smiled at his little faerie and rubbed her hand. He finally grew tired but didn't want to go back to his bed. He wanted to be with his Alice. His little Alice. He'd never consider what he was about to do while in camp or bunked with his men but they were alone and safe and she would understand when she woke up. He got on the other side of her bed, pulled the covers back and climbed into bed with her. He took her into his arms and held her close, upon which she instinctively held onto him and clung to his warm bare chest. Simus was like a lava rock to sleep next to but on a cold drafty night like this that was just what Alice wanted. He had Alice in a protective, almost instinctive embrace and she held onto him like a child. They were both at ease and Simus was able to finally fall asleep.

The next morning he quietly got up and out of Alice's bed. When she woke up half an hour later she was none the wiser. Simus liked it that way. As much as he loved his daughter she wasn't a little girl anymore and he didn't want to embarrass her by treating her like one, even if it was just the two of them. They got up an hour before daybreak so they took their time with breakfast and getting dressed. Not everyone was there when they arrived at daybreak, which wasn't surprising, but Winter, their supposed leader was among the missing, which was very surprising. Simus figured she might be a little late with preparations or gathering the other group members but a few minutes later Lilumae arrived by herself, looking like she had overslept and ran out of bed. The poor thing looked exhausted and disheveled. Alice wanted to take her to the tavern for some breakfast and to get properly cleaned up but the little thing was gone again before Alice could even open her mouth. It was over an hour later before Lilumae returned, dragging a half-asleep Winter that looked like she had been dragged from bed. Simus couldn't tell if she was apathetic or hung over but neither engendered much confidence in her. She had assumed a leadership role in this group and by strolling in here an hour late without so much as combing her hair really didn't bode well. Several people had an opinion on Winter's tardiness, especially Baroth, who lightly berated both her and Ardus for their snide remarks. He demanded that they both put aside their little squabble and get down to business, along with beseeching Winter to be patient and wait for the other group members. Simus agreed with his old friend but thought he was laying it on a bit thick. They had all just met each other and Baroth was making him out be more of a heavy handed enforcer than the voice of reason. One he was done and eating an apple slice Simus pulled him aside.

"Baroth," He said. "I appreciate your initiative and I'm sure the other group does too but you need to back off some. If you crack down on this group every time someone has an argument no one will be able to work things out themselves and you'll look like the dread enforcer. Trust me on this."

Winter mumbled something about everyone being ready to leave, which made Alice's eyes narrow. Alice didn't like this girl. She had no respect for other people's feelings or time and sending Lilumae out to apologize on her behalf made things worse. The poor thing was just as frazzled and bedheaded now as she was an hour ago and now she was covering for Winter's complete lack of manners! Again! Alice smiled down at the little girl, who was only a bit shorter than she was despite their significant age difference and tried to reassure her.

"It's alright sweetheart, well all understand that. And I'm sure Winter will be more sociable after she has time to wake up. I know I am." Alice then noticed that Lilumae was wearing the same outfit as last night. A thin tunic, leggings and shoes with a light cloak. They were still clean and obviously cared for but they were patched in several places and it was clear that the little angel didn't have much other than what she was wearing and what was in her back.

"Lilumae, sweetheart, are these all your clothes?" Alice asked with almost motherly concern. "And have you eaten anything today? You look hungry, and very rushed. Would you like to go to the tavern with me to get something to eat? I'll pay for it and we can go shopping at Arnleif and Son's next door. You need some warmer clothes for a trip like this. We could be gone until tomorrow and the Reach gets very cold at night this time of year."

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    He couldn't sleep.

After the group dispersed and went to their respective places to sleep for the night, one of the innkeepers told him that there was a room available. But only one. With one bed.

It wasn't pleasant. Isabella turned out to be a very active sleeper, tossing and turning, thrashing about. It was a wonder why she hadn't thrown Erebus off the stone bed yet.

He stared up at the ceiling deep in thought. None of this made any sense. He had tried to console with his sister about it, only to be told he was being paranoid. Perhaps he was, but he couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off. Sitting up and on the edge of the bed he held his head in his hands thinking long and hard.

Erebus figured he was in that position for quite awhile because soon his sister woke up. Lovely.

"Erebus... What's wrong now? I didn't hit you too hard did I? And no, we aren't going to restrain me to the bed for drastic measures if that's the case." She threw in a joke at the end to lighten the mood. However, her brother wasn't laughing. He was bent over and looking deep in thought.

"No, that's not it." Erebus mumbled. "It's just.."

"What?"

"None of this makes any sense.."

"Seriously? You're still on about that?" Isabella rolled her eyes. She was tired damn it! And that candle on the bedside table shining brightly wasn't helping matters either!

"Look, you said it yourself. Something doesn't add up here."
    Standing up in frustration, he started to pace around the room. With no choice but to listen, his sister sat up on the bed, knees bent and arms hugging them to her chest. Being tired and all she had to rest her chin on her knees. Her eyes followed his every movement.

"I mean... Do you remember? What the girl said?" Erebus turned to her suddenly. Isabella furrowed her brow, thinking hard in trying to remember. "I think she said something about travelers, and how they were attacked. But what does have to do with you being paranoid and--"

"And what else did she say?" He asked her incessantly.

Silence. Isabella was slower than her brother most of the time but she was just as smart. "The wolves ripped out the travelers teeth?"

"Exactly!" Erebus exclaimed before returning to his frantic pacing. "But what kind of wolf, or pack of wolves just... Attack people? And only their throats no less? Wolves only attack to protect territory and for food."

"Well, if it's not wolves, then what is it?" Isabella was still a little lost. But after a few seconds it clicked.

"Think, Bella! What kind of creature, that's nocturnal, goes out and just rips out throats of travelers?!" Erebus stood looking at her with a worried look on his face.

"No... You don't mean?" The young thief's eyes widened in fear.

Erebus nodded. "Vampires."

------------------------------------

"Bella get up!" Erebus had enough of this. He had been trying to get her up and at 'em for the last half hour.

"No.."

"Get. UP!" Reaching over into his knapsack he looked over a few items. Taking out a piece of rope a grin stretched out across his face.

Soon after tying her feet up and walking away towards the door, he gave her one last shot.

"Up, Bella. Not going to ask again."

"fluff off."

"Alright, if you insist.."

"...Wait, what? AH!" With a hard tug and drag of the rope, Erebus pulled his sister literally out of bed. "You JERK!" Yelling profanities at him was only the beginning. While he laughed heartily, she quickly tried to untie her feet while Erebus quickly grabbed all his gear. Unlike her Erebus liked to pack things for the next day prior to going to bed. So he had a head start.

"By the way, I already had breakfast. See you outside the gate!" With that said he turned on his heel and booked it right out the door, Isabella screaming insults at him out the door.

-----------------------------

"You son of a bitch!" Isabella screamed while walking over toward the rally point. Erebus was still wearing a plops eating grin on his face. "Language, dear sister. You wouldn't get out of bed. What was I supposed to do? Let you sleep in and miss the wonderful sights? I would get in a lot of trouble with father if I left you and your colorful language behind."

"Oh... Trust me, dear brother. Father would be the absolute least if your problems!" Punching him on the arm she grumbled out, "Let's go, I'm losing my patience."

"Oh, I hired a mercenary by the way." He said quietly to her. "Good for you." Came the sarcastic reply. "Good for us, you mean." Erebus winked. "And here he comes." He pointed at the man walking their way.

Last edited:

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    Jordan sat cross legged by a small clump of flowers roughly one kilometer from the covens base. She and Annalisse had decided on this clearing being their meeting spot, but Jordan was just sitting by the trees to keep out of sight. You never know who could be lurking around. They hadn't organized this meeting, but she has been so busy training and writing lately that she hasn't made time to see her in a while. She hoped that Annalisse, or Anna as she sometimes called her, had been sent out again because she knew she'd check here. A few leaves crunched under feet and sticks snapped, Jordan stood up and turned to see the entrancing snow elf. She had always been in awe that Annalisse was a snow elf. To know that this is what the falmer looked like before they became what they are today was incredible.

"You're here again? You know, if you linger too long, Rothark will find this place. He finds every place we hide in, eventually."
    "Yes, I am, I was hoping to see you. Have you got any plans?"
    "I'm heading to Markarth on his orders. Do you want to come with me? It's a bit of a journey to go it alone."
    "Of course. Whats he got you doing?"
    "Tailing some adventurers that are set to clear out a wolf-infested cave." With an emphasis on wolf-infested it was clear that Annalisse knew very well that it wasn't actually full of wolves, but of vampires. The two began heading down the road, talking about random quirky things. "Wait a second, do you hear that?" Annalisse looked to Jordan to confirm it. Another soft whistle, coming from the trees behind them. Jordan looked to see an unmistakable tattooed face, Garred. "Its Garred, what do you think he wants?"
    "How should I know? Probably orders from Rothark, if I might wager a guess. Best to not keep him waiting long. You know how he gets." If Rothark knew the extent of Annalisse and Jordan's friendship, he likely would have sent a message along when Annalisse had left his chambers; however Anna had done her best to keep mum about Jordan or their friendship, doubly so about her own questionable feelings for the girl.

"Yeah, I'll be right back." Jordan jogged over to the man, one of the less respected vampires of the coven. Still, Jordan had hope for him, he was deadly loyal to Rothark. Something they had in common. Something that she feared might one day be her and Annalisse's undoing.

"Lord Rothark requests your services, Miss Grayshade."
    "If you return to him before I do, tell him when I am done in Markarth I will see him right away."
    "He said it was urgent."
    "Dearly noted." Jordan said with sarcasm, "Goodbye."
    Jordan returned to a patient Anna, when she was sure he was gone she spoke."Rothark wants me, urgently. I'll see him when I'm done in Markarth."
    "Remind me again why you hold out for Rotharks favour? He is cruel, manipulative and sadistic. My mother and my body should remain a testament enough to that, don't you think?"
    Without giving her pause to reply, Annalisse tacked on softly, almost sorrowfully, "Do you truly wish to spend an eternity under his thumb? You wish him, of all vampires, as your sire? If it's the blood you're after, there are many unlike him to choose from. He is handsome, this much is true, after all, even thorns are attached to roses sometimes. Still, I doubt that is your only reason for this selection."

Jordan knew this conversation was bound to happen, she had thought of how she would respond in a hundred different ways. How could she explain her undying loyalty to a man who treats Annalisse and her mother so cruelly? Jordan understood that this is how Rothark is, he likes to cause misery and torture, if it was any other victim Jordan would not care. But could she admit that to Anna? "Anna, I'm sorry. I may just be an asset to him, but Rothark is the closest thing to a father I have now. And he saved my life. Yeah, I want the blood, but that's not the reason why I am loyal. Besides, it's not like I can just get a long line of vampire lords and say 'hey, I'm a 19 year old girl looking for a 200 hundred or so year old man to turn me into a vampire.'" Jordan said, using hand gestures and speaking in a sarcastic and happier manner hoping to lighten the mood. It failed.

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind the next time your father figure has me bent over the nearest flat surface!" Anna snapped in response, a flash of hurt flickering across her face before she could stop it.
    "...Sorry. That was uncalled for." Her expression softened, but only slightly so.
    "Look, I want to understand, I do, but it's hard for me to see anything in him beyond what cruelty he's shown me. It's great that you admire him but... he tortured and murdered my father, chained up my mother to abuse as he pleases and very likely had my brother assassinated. Jordan, if you had any idea the things he's done to me..." Annalisse stopped, unwilling to divulge the details of her own horror stories at that point in time.
    "He isn't a good man. He's hardly a man to begin with. I respect your right to make this decision for yourself, but don't assume that means I'll approve of it."

Annalisse walked off for a moment, leaving Jordan wondering if perhaps her friend had decided to travel alone. Stopping a few minutes later, Annalisse turned back around, crossing the short distance to pause in front of Jordan, apparently having calmed down some.

"I can't see him through your eyes, Jordan, I can't. I'm not sure I ever really will. But if you stick with me... I'll try to. Not for him. Not ever for him, not even for a second for him! But for you. For you... I'll try."

Jordan kept her cool and let Annalisse calm down a little. "I don't want you to see him through my eyes, don't even try. Just be strong and more worthy in his eyes, become respected... If that's even possible... I don't know how his mind works. And perhaps I would understand more if you opened up to me and told me. I know it might be painful, but who else do you have? I'm always here for you if you need me, and don't let our very different relationships with Rothark destroy us. Because you're all I have too." It was true. She did have Rothark in some form, but it wasn't like this. She couldn't tell Rothark everything about her, he wouldn't hug her if she had a bad day. Annalisse would. Jordan only hoped she'd understand.

"...What is that even worth? Rising to power beneath a monster just makes you a monster too. That's all he respects, Jordan. Monsters like him. Is that what you want to be?" Annalisse shook her head, sighing. "I-I..." Jordan didn't even know how to answer. This conversation was getting them nowhere.
    "We'll save this for another day. We've got work to do." Annalisse started off again, this time waiting for Jordan to follow behind.
    "Look. Maybe someday, if my mother is safe and it's just you and me against the world... maybe then things will be different. I dunno. It's complicated. You're all I have, but that doesn't make this any easier." With that, Annalisse had said her piece, choosing not to speak on the subject any longer.

They had a relatively silent trip for the rest of the way to Markarth. She thought for a long hard while thinking of how their talk had turned out. Bad. Awful. She wasn't afraid to talk to Rothark about Annalisse and her mother, but should she be? Rothark had never abused her before but would he? Would he hold back the blood if she asked? It didn't matter. She would return to Rothark and ask of him a proposal that she hoped he would accept and hold true to. When they neared the stables they slowed down. They would split apart here, that way people wouldn't know they knew each other and they would draw less attention.

"Well here we go.. Time to split ways.." Jordan said miserably. She wanted more time with Annalisse. "How do you stay incognito as a snow elf anyway?" Jordan asked, knowing she preferred to be called that over falmer. "Don't people notice?" She had always wondered, and she never got the time to ask. "Now, If I told you, it wouldn't be nearly as fun. What's the matter, Jordan? Afraid I might sneak up on you sometime and see something you don't want me to?" Grinning at her friend, she tried to liven the mood a little before they parted ways. Stepping back a few feet, Annalisse lingered in the shadow of a nearby tree, raising one finger to her lips as if telling Jordan to hush. In an instant, she was gone. Fading from view in a blink if an eye. "Be seeing you." Her soft breath tickled Jordans ear from behind, before a slight breeze signaled her, moving away.

Jordan stood there for a few moments. The emotions within her began to fade and she felt a lovely warm feeling swell up inside her. From here on out, to make her actions be worthy, she pretended she was being watched by someone reporting directly to Rothark. She didn't think anyone was watching her, but it helped her decisions. She would be making a very interesting report. She waltz into Markarth without a bother from the guards and proceeded to The Hag's Cure. She filled her satchel with various, non specific ingredients. There were two nirnroot for sale, she bought them both. She then made her way to the tavern, upon entering her eyes lit up with curiosity. She felt eyes on her as she walked to a room rented by someone she knew. The inn was crowded today. Annalisse would have fun with that.

Jordan gave the door three distinct knocks before it creaked open. "Josef Paul. I'm here on behalf of Miss Greyshade." The mood dropped and the man opened the door wider. "Come in. Don't let anyone see you." She was ushered in and the door closed behind them. "I told you I don't have the money. With each passing week the debt increases and working as a miner isn't nearly enough wage to keep up." He reeked of desperation as he huddles himself closer and held his hands out like a beggar. "If you could just talk to her for me, please, tell her to give me a month with no increase. I could pay her back!"
    "Hush, Josef, lest someone hear you."
    "I need one month without an increase and I can pay her in full. I promise you, madame."
    "I assure you I have spoken to Miss Greyshade and she would sooner have me kill you than to waste my services chasing you up. Consider yourself lucky."
    "I am eternally grateful, but can I hold onto my gold this payment? It will be doubled next time of course."
    Jordan grabbed Josef's throat and her nails dug into his neck. Josef wasn't a big man, but if he wasn't under the illusion Jordan was more than she was he could have resisted her and alerted the guards. "Never try to stop Greyshade from getting paid." She released his neck and he scrambled over to his desk to pull out a coin purse of 350 gold. He handed it to her, hand shaking, as if he was worried she would cause damage to his hand when she took the coins. "There it is... Now please, leave." Jordan let out a cruel smile. "I want an extra 5 gold. Feeling thirsty and I could do with a wash. I think I have peasant flesh in my nails." The man opened his mouth in protest but stopped himself before he said anything. Five gold was handed over. "I don't know how I'll afford to eat for the rest of the week." The door closed behind Jordan as she made her way to the counter. She ordered herself a hot meal before heading out of the city. She smiled. She made a profit of 350 gold without doing a days work from a stranger. Manipulation was such a powerful tool. Perhaps she would tell Rothark about it, should he care to listen.

A few very valuable things go missing from a man living on his lonesome with no direct family nearby, he makes a deal with a woman who claims to work for a powerful entrepreneur who could have these items retrieved for a price. Money gets lent as the man is broke having just payed for these services and so gets trapped in debt with no way out, and Scarlett comes to collect the pay. Alter ego's are so useful. As Jordan lit a fire in the open to keep herself warm as she stopped to rest a few minutes she heard heavy footsteps coming toward her. She glanced back seeing only a mercenary clad in iron armour. Assuming he was a bandit about to rob her she got up ready to fight, but she was too slow and got a boot to the back kicking her into the fire.

She scrambled to the left and rolled around, but she had not caught fire. She received several kicks to the gut and chest before an iron grip grabbed her face. "I know who you are, Scarlett." The breath of the bald bearded nord smelt of onion and garlic and he had likely had neither. "You will tell Miss Greyshade that if she tries to collect debt off of anybody ever again she's got trouble comin', and if I see your pretty face again I'm gonna make sure even your mumma wouldn't recognize ya you understand?" Jordan ached hard but uttered one sentence. "I'll pay you 50 gold to disappear to the other side of Skyrim and to never see Josef again so I can tell him you're dead." The man gave a few intimidating deep breaths before accepting the deal. Gold was handed over with few words spoken. She lay there in the dirt for an hour before trekking on her journey home. Josef was the only one who knew the Scarlet persona, and so she knew it was him. He would pay for this. Claims he has no money then sends a mercenary after her? This was a blessing. Insurance pay. She would also have to make sure he didn't step out of line again.

She was quite satisfied with her work, but one thought nagged at her mind. If Annalisse knew, what would she do? Jordan arrived late at night and made her way to Rothark's chambers. "My lord, I have brought you a small gift." She handed over her satchel containing various ingredients that were for sale, including two nirnroot. "I'd like to humour you with a tale, if you don't mind. Also, I'm aware you requested my services?"

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
    After the young Imperial politely turned down his offer, Thomas began to notice that everyone had begun to wander off to their room. Knowing that the night was at its end he too wandered off to his room. Finding no collapsed Cosnach inside, the Redguard sat down on his stone bed, uncomfortably adjusting his back so that the bed remained at least remotly useful. After unsuccesfully trying to shut his eyes he got up & began to pac around his room. There was something wrong about this bounty, & he suspected that his fixation wasnt based on dividing the money. Some of the details of the attack were... uncharacteristic of the common wolf. Tearing out throats seemed like something a creature would do if it wasn't hungry for meat.

This did not help him get to sleep. Deciding to go & get one more drink to calm his nerves, Thomas popped back over to the bar & called for some mead. His last memory of the late evening...

***​
    Thomas snapped his eyes open, unsure of what he was looking at. Cobwebs had not been in his room the night before, though he wasnt too surprised. The thing that got him was the ceiling. That had become a lot closer to his head. Close enough so that he scraped against it upon sitting up. Figuring he had ended up in a bunk of sorts, he rolled out of his makeshift bed & looked to see who had been his bunkmate for the night. It was hard to see with the room being so dark & dusty, but he could get a rough image.

After throwing up all over last nights accomadations for a few minutes, Thomas grabbed his bag & began a hasty yet unbalanced sprint for the golden door at the end of the room. It was locked.
    "Hey, anybody out there? I got stuck in this Crypt!" There was no response, then suddenly the sound of doors unlocking could be heard.
    "Stupid drunkards sneaking their way through the dungeons, making my job ridiculous..." an unknown priest muttered as the Dwarven doors were pushed upon. After being ushered out of the crypt & being given a harsh brush off by the guards, Thomas made his way out the keep, noticing the big Nord from the night before heading to the city entrance. As he arrived Thomas noticed an argument developing between the group leader & another shady figure. Soon the big Nord jumped in, taking on a peacekeeper role, with Alice's father joining in shortly after.

Thomas really did not give a damn. he was still trying to recover his memory of last night. Nothing resurfaced. Deciding to forget the ordeal he passed a few septims towards a local vendor in exchange for a loaf of bread. After this purchase he sickly tried the bread, & after managing half a small loaf he chucked the rest towards a nearby beggar. Brushing the crumbs off of his robes he looked around to see who else had showed up. The twins were here, & a few others from last night.

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Garred's skin burned as he stepped out into the sunlight. He swore to himself he could hear a crackling noise, like meat over a fire. And yet, despite the constant burning sensation, he was relieved to be out in the light.

Happy for no particular reason, Garred wandered the road for a few minutes whistling to himself. He was barely 10 minutes away when he saw Jordan and Annalisse, side by side, apparently in some sort of... heated discussion. He never got close enough to overhear before they realized his presence. "Lord Rothark requests your services, Miss Greyshade." Perhaps today would be easier than he thought. She acknowledged him, before effectively ignoring the summons. Garred wasn't pleased, but nor was he surprised.

The walk was not far. The cave he was looking for was up in the mountains north-west of Markarth, a short distance from a narrow mountain pass. Every now and then, a few travelers would pass, and each would stare just long enough to make Garred contemplate murdering them, before the moved on. The sun was getting weaker as the day progressed later into the afternoon. About half an hour after leaving, Markarth itself came into sight. There were guards all over the place, standing rigid on either side of the enormous copper-coloured gates, and at the base of the concrete steps leading up to it. Garred paid it no mind. It was not his target. Not today.

He found the path then minutes after crossing the river. It was little more than a dirt track in truth, sloping steeply upwards into the mountains, before flattening out in a small valley between two peaks. A large boulder marked the end of the road for Garred, and he turned off left. The descent was not steep, but there was no path here. After a very brief walk Garred ended up on a slight ledge, which he followed along the face to a more open spot.

Two light wooden gates blocked the entrance to the cave. A dunmer woman with glowing red eyes guarded the entrance, sharpening the blade of a dagger on a small whetstone. She looked up long enough to see Garred approaching, and knew it was wiser to say nothing.

He pushed his way through the gates, finding himself once again in a dark cave lit only by flickering torches. is shadow spread out in every direction, dancing on the cave walls. It was a short descent before the cave opened out into a large cavern. Garred felt eyes on him everywhere. There were at least five vampires in this room. Two guarded the walkways with crossbows, one was slouched by the entryway reading, another was attempting to sleep on a pile of hay and the final one was reading over some ledgers at a small desk.

Garred approached. "You. I need the key to Lord Rothark's chamber. Who holds it?"

"I, um... Vorro. Vorro has the key, yes, yes. We were not made aware of your arrival, my Lord, or I would have had preparations made, and, and..." He seemed startled, even scared. Garred grunted and set off up the walkway. The wood creaked under his feet and parts of it had rotted away entirely. This is disgraceful. Maybe it would be beneficial to have them wiped out. They give the rest of us a bad image. Rothark's old chamber was at the highest point in the hideout, carved into the mountain peak with a view of the city. The door was double-locked; Garred had one key, and this 'Vorro' man had the other. The door came into sight soon enough.

A large iron door, reminiscent of the ones found in Nordic burial tombs, blocked Garred's path. As well as the door, a blonde-haired man turned to face him. He stood taller than most men, clad in black iron armor fashioned with numerous barbed spikes. A small black cloth hung tattered from his waist to broaden his appearance a bit. His eyes glowed faintly and scars littered the visible parts of his neck. He scowled at Garred.

"In the name of the Lord Rothark, I order you to halt." The man put on his helmet and brandished a sword like Garred had never seen before.

"So, you must be Vorro." Garred leant against a wall and yawned sarcastically.

"What business have you here?"

"In the name of the Lord Rothark," Garred imitated him sarcastically, laughing to himself, "I have been sent to retrieve some of his Lordship's personal belongings. On his direct orders."

"Like you expect me to believe the Lord would send the likes of you. You are less than a thrall. Be gone."

"I am Lord Rothark's apprentice. Now hand over the key, before I rip out your spine and turn it into a lockpick."

"Threaten me again and it will be you who perishes this day."

"That wasn't a threat. It was a promise." Garred was smiling now, silently willing the man to refuse him. Much to his disappointment, however, he relented and sheathed his sword. He reached around and took a heavy steel key from his belt. Garred took it without gratitude, and jammed it into the left hand lock. He then put his own key into the right hand lock. The door clicked, and slid aside.

Vorro followed Garred into the room, watching his every move. The chamber was large, but only one part mattered. Moving among the isles of books, Garred picked out anything bound with blue leather and stuffed it into his bag. After he was sure no more remained, he turned back to Vorro.

"Lord Rothark sent me to collect anything of value to him." Vorro did not reply. "You guard his chambers fiercely in his name. Perhaps he sent me to find you." A small smile cracked accross Vorro's lips. Soon after, Garred's fist cracked accross his lips. "You're going to die if you stay here. You're coming back with me, and you will serve Rothark himself." Garred leaned down so that his face was almost in Vorro's, who lay stunned on the floor. "But try any of that 'city-guard' style bullpl*ps again, and I'll follow through on my promise." Garred extended a hand, and helped Vorro to his feet. The sun was beginning to fall behind the mountaintops now.

"Right, any questions?" Vorro opened his mouth, but Garred continued, with "No? Good. Let's go then."

+++​

Rothark sat hunched at his desk, scribbling in another journal. He was attempting to catalog all of the armor and weapons currently in the possession of the Coven, but to very little success. It came as great relief when his chamber doors sighed open, and Jordan Greyshade stepped inside. "My Lord, I have brought you a small gift." Finally, something to brighten Rothark's day. He took the satchel as she held it out to him. "I'd like to humor you with a tale, if you don't mind. Also, I'm aware you requested my services?"

Rothark's eyes darted around inside the satchel. The ingredients she had presented him were high quality, although it was not within his particular set of talents to use them. "You're late, Greyshade," he said without looking up at her. "And yet, still earlier than Garred." Rothark placed the gift on a table and walked over to the grey brick fireplace, which loomed over them both. He poked around at the embers until they began to perk up, shedding some light in the otherwise dim room. His footsteps echoed around the chamber as he moved, seemingly effortlessly, to a large ornate oak chair opposite the flames. Pointing in the direction of a second, somewhat smaller chair to his right, he said, "Please, sit. It has been such a dull day." He waited until Jordan was seated. "Speak."

Jordan smiled and took a seat at her lords request. "In Markarth for the past few weeks I have been conning a lonesome minor, extorting him for money. I think after my next visit I'll be able to make him somewhat of an informant, to help pay off his imaginary debt of course. He'll love the opportunity. All I have done to make this possible was steal a few things he liked and return them, now he owes me more money than he can afford. With the price raising of course. The original debt was 1000 gold, due to how difficult it was to find and retrieve the items." Jordan spoke very sarcastically at the last part, nodding toward she had the items the whole time. "And with each passing week it raises roughly 500 gold. If he is particularly behind on debt the figure isn't so large but I get payments of 350 gold a week." Jordan hoped Rothark would appreciate her ability to manipulate, being able to fund herself and soon to have an informant of her own in the city. She decided he would not tell her about the mercenary sent after her, for Rothark would likely think she did not have this under control.

Jordan thought about mentioning Annalisse and her mother, but didn't know if her trying to protect her would only bring them more harm. If the two were still alone after she mustered her courage, she would try. "Now what was it you wanted, lord?"

"Hmmmm." Rothark was deep in thought. The girl was more talented than he had originally perceived her to be. "Manipulative, sneaky, and making yourself rich. You're turning out to be quite the prize." Rothark didn't like praising people. But in this case he felt it was necessary. "As for my task, it is not so important. Nevertheless, if you feel like running an errand for me?" Rothark didn't give praise often, so the small amount he did make was a huge ego boost.

"Thank you my lord, always. What are the details?"

"Nothing more than a trip into town, really. With the recent ceasefire, a number of Imperial troops have been returned to Cyrodiil, leaving Solitude an easier target. I cannot divulge details to you yet, but our ranks are about to be thinned, and we need new blood. All I want you to do is pay a visit to the big city. Visit the inns, treat yourself, sleep around if you wish. But return with a list of worthy candidates. We need to bolster our ranks quickly." Rothark turned to face her. "And don't bring me those that are unworthy. I will know if you do."

A grin played across Jordan's face. Solitude. Jordan loved travelling to the big cities, and the long trips. This task screamed adventure, a little vacation with effortless work. "What traits would one exhibit to be considered worthy?"

"Look for candidates that are strong-minded, willful, noble. Anyone you feel may be of use to me. Anyone with power, like a thane or relatives of the Jarl. Take no action, just get information and then return to me."

"I'm assuming their will will be bent?"

"Well that depends on the individual. Some will be too brittle, and snap altogether. Either way, we shall find out."

"I understand the task lord. I will find suitable individuals whom might prove beneficial to you. But there is an issue I would like to discuss... It's a delicate matter that might anger you, but please hear me out. It's about Annalisse and her mother."

Rothark payed careful attention not to let any emotion show on his face. "The little bird and her mother hen. Very well, my child, speak your mind."

Jordan swallowed her saliva, as the potential delicacy made her nervous. She made her face cold in emotion, despite the outcome of this conversation not being in her control. She had no idea what would happen. "If Annalisse's mother was anybody else I would not have a problem with what you do. It is your art, it is what pleases you. I hope my admissions wont have you do more harm, but I care for Annalisse. She cares for her mother. When you harm Annalisse and her mother it affects me, and I know this doesn't bother you and there is not much I can say or do to have you stop but please. Rothark. I can bring you anyone you wish in replacement for Annalisse's mother and Annalisse herself. Or if there is anything I can do, period, I will do it if it means they will be harmed no longer." Jordan looked at Rothark and saw no emotion, if he had any, he was hiding it well. "It is not what you do that I do not like, it is who it is done to. Please, understand what I say and don't be cruel. You haven't hurt me yet, and I'd like to keep it that way. Cruelty has never dawned upon us, and I ask that it is taken away from them. I will find you anyone, I will kill anyone. I will bring you all of Tamriel until you find someone that can replace them. I will hurt anyone, if it means they can be kept safe."

Rothark resisted the temptation to lash the back of his hand across her face. He was so close, he could not risk driving her away now. "So sweet you are, caring for my little bird like that. But I'm afraid I cannot let her leave my service. I have dire need of someone with her particular... talents." He paused for a few minutes. "As for the mother. Well, I suppose I could free her. But then how would I entertain myself? I would need to find another, and I do severely doubt I will ever find another who's screams bring me so much joy."

"Lord, I am not asking you free Annalisse. I am asking she does not be harmed. And as for the mother, I will find someone who's scream is drenched in fear and who's voice sounds so angelic when they're crying. I will test them myself, and I will bring you three women. Please Rothark, consider my request. Annalisse continues to work for you, however never being physically or mentally harmed. Annalisse's mother goes free at the expense of three other women. You can keep them all or discard of one or two, I don't care. Lord Rothark, I will bring you whatever you request. If it exists on Nirn I will find it for you." Jordan's voice kept confident and calm.

"Perhaps I might consider your request. But for now I tire of this conversation. Go, to Solitude with you, child. There is no need for further talk of this."

"As you wish." Jordan gave a curt bow and left the room. The door barely had time to settle in place in the door frame before it flew open again. Garred walked in, a satchel hanging over one shoulder, and a young looking man in tow. The satchel quickly found its way to the floor, before the boy followed it, sprawled out at Rothark's feet. Rothark looked at Garred, who smiled sickly, then down at the boy again. "What is your name, child?" He looked up at Rothark.

"M-my Lord! Please, forgive my rudeness." The boy quickly found his way to one knee in front of Rothark. The Lord took note of the armor that adorned the boy's impressive stature; carved of iron and tinted black, a heavy plate tomb littered with vicious looking spikes. "My name is Vorrostakk Tenerbrosi." He looked up at Rothark and met his unimpressed gaze. "Vorro, my Lord."

"Garred, why have you bought me this boy?"

"He was the one who guarded your chambers, my Lord. He acted in your name. I though such a devout servant may be of use to you in the events to come."

"Very well. Stand up." Vorro did as ordered. "You will serve me from now on. Can you fight?"

"Oh yes, my Lord. Before I was gifted, I was an esteemed pit-fighter in Cyrodiil. I have been a master of the blade since the age of 16." Garred did his best to look unimpressed.

"Very well. You shall enter my service as a personal bodyguard." Garred ripped the black cloak off of the back of Vorro's armor, and Rothark draped a new, dark blue cloak around his shoulders, emblazoned with a golden eye in the center. "Now. Come. There is much to be done, and preparations to be made."

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts