18+ Into The Dark [Game Thread]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
    Severus watched as the tavern slowly filled with people. Not all of them were Nords, either. A Redguard, a few Imperials, and a couple of Altmer. He was intrigued by the two elves, knowing their kind seldomly left the isles. Or, at least, they didn't leave to come to Skyrim. Both looked like mages, one wearing robes that were heavily customized, but obviously Thalmor. The other, wore robes that were of pale grey material.

Another that caught his attention, was an Imperial mercenary, that sat at the bar, seemingly uninterested in the proceedings. Severus had heard that the Bloodlet coven occasionally hired such men from time to time. Those that knew how to take care of problems quietly, and without question. The others seemed like a mix of mercenaries and so called 'heroes'. The woman and girl he'd first seen leaving the keep were there, and as he watched, she stood and announced that she, and any who joined her and the girl, who she identified as her sister, would be leaving at first light.

'Sister? The two look nothing alike.' Severus didn't speak up. He was more interested in the job itself than whatever lies the mortal chose to speak. A commotion drew his gaze from the woman to a pair of Imperials wearing the blue of Stormcloaks. For a moment, he felt the familiar surge of anger, but tamed it quickly. A ceasefire was in place, and if a couple of rebels showed up dead, it would raise suspicions. Besides, it did not look like these two were typical soldiers. They looked like they were used to giving orders, rather than obeying them. Having no need for rest, the vampire leaned back into the shadows, and awaited the dawn.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Simus was absolutely amazed by the sight of this little redhead, Lilumae. She had darted out of nowhere, explained her situation and then started talking Alice back to the here and now. The fact that Lilumae, the younger child, was helping Alice, the older child, through emotional distress was unusual in itself. By all conventions the roles should be reverse, Alice taking care of Lilumae. Yet here this little girl was, no more than 11 or 12 and even shorter than Alice, who was barely 5 feet, taking care of her as if she were a mother. The fact that it was actually working made it amazing. Absolutely amazing. Simus watch in awe as Alice began to calm down. Her breathing slowed and, her tears stopped, her posture became more steady, enough to sit down on the floor with her legs folded, away from the pile of sick. Even the look of terror she had was gone, replaced by cautious gratitude. He noticed that Lilumae tried to establish Alice's awareness by asking her simple questions in the gentlest possible way and waiting only until she was ready to answer to ask another. She really listened to her and constantly used her name in conversation to make her feel more comfortable. Alice regained her head in moments and was confused but clearly in the here and now.

Alice herself was just as amazed by this turn of events, and for all the reasons her father noticed plus a few more. She may have been trapped in a prison of terror for the last five minutes but she was still sharp. The soft voice, the patient questions, constantly using her name to show that she was important, she got all that. But it was what you couldn't see or hear that Alice picked up on. She was more emotionally fragile than her father but she was also more empathetic and intuitive. This little girl was a spitting image of herself only a few years ago. Smarter than her parents. Constantly absorbing knowledge from as many sources as possible, sharing that knowledge with anyone who would listen. Desperate for some validation that she was valuable and not just a nuisance. The big differences were that she probably couldn't see the future in strange, confusing dreams or visions and she wasn't well looked after. Her appearance was relatively presentable but compromised. Her glasses looked like they'd been repaired several times. Her long red hair was fine from a distance but messy and uneven this close up, her clothes were patched in places and were showing definite signs of wear and tear. She smelled nice and her teeth were complete and clean, as if this was her first priority. Smart girl.She was also very thin, just barely above malnutrition it seemed. She clearly tried to take care of herself but she could only do so much with what she had. Alice suspected that she was either an orphan or had a family that was neglectful or abusive.

Lilumae then stepped back from Alice and Simus and gave them a short curtsy. "Let me know if there's anything else I can do." She said before trying to head back to the table her "sister" was sitting at. Simus gently grabbed her shoulder before she could get very far. "Now hold on there. Where in the world did THAT come from? That was amazing!"

Alice carefully stood up and looked at both of them. "Diseases of the Mind by Avilius Ottus. 3rd Edition. Circa 127 4th Era. Chapter seven, section two. Calming the Panicked and Terror-Stricken." Simus looked at her confused but Lilumae seemed to smile with recognition. "That's where That came from. The calming technique she just used on me, memorized chapter and verse. It's been generally accepted throughout the medical community as the first course of action to calm people suffering from panic attacks or other sudden terror episodes." Simus had a dumbfounded look that said "now where did THAT come from?". "What? It's a good book. Informative. For some reason I connect with a lot of the disorders described in it." Again, Lilumae seemed pleased. "Isn't that right Lilumae? That's the book you learned that technique from?"

(OOC: Sorry for scripting Lilumae a bit Mab but it was all pretty minor and I feel it fits her character and the situation well. As always, let me know if you want me to change it.)

Last edited:

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    He sighed as he got up from his table to help with the crowd control. He decided to help because he felt sorry for the panicking girl and for some reason he liked her. He walked over to the girl and formed a wall and waved off the crowd.

"I'm glad someone calmed that girl down. One could have slapped her out of it considering it was a simple panic attack. I wouldn't have due to certain circumstances."
    He turned towards the stormcloak girl and the surprisingly smart younger girl. As much as he wanted to keep silent and be on bus way, he wanted to find out why at least two stormcloaks were here if by chance they were there for the same reason. He didn't want to worry about whatever that cave held while also worrying about the two potential enemies. He finished his mead, then moved to the opposite side of the bar so he didn't have to talk louder than necessary to the man and his daughter, "so girl. What made you want to join an army? Was it honor or service? The chance to experience the glory of fighting for a greater cause? Furthermore, what made two imperials join up with Ulfric? The whole "drive out the outsiders from our homeland" makes me think he only has love for his own kind. The state of Windhelm and the gray quarter shows that to be a strong assumption. On a change of topic are you here? I gathered that at least some are here for this odd feeling bounty. Why get all these people for a pack of wolves? There is something off about the whole thing," At this point he was looking at the father so the girl could calm down. He didn't want to cause a fight, but he needed to know who these people where. The rest he could wait until he sees them again. At least for now. He didn't want to sound hostile, he was glad that she was safe, but he needed to watch out for himself.

fellowknight

The Devil In The Details
    Clank!
    By the time the door had shut, Baroth was already off towards Understone Keep, where a good acquaintance of his was bound to be, stabbing powders and polishing artifacts. His assistant, however, was less enthusiastic about staring down runes he didn't understand, and sleeping on cold stone beds.

Calcelmo took a brief pause to wipe his sweating forehead before before continuing to mix and mash the mixture of Nirn Root and Dragon's Tongue. A small batch of aspiring scholars and one mage in particular had come through Markarth not too long ago and, thank the gods, he was able to catch them during their stay in the Silverblood Inn. He'd told them of his research and how he needed someone to enter the ruins to look for a few samples of the foliage. He'd believed it to be preferably enhanced by time and deposition. Though he had yet to see if that was true.

Aicantar huffed outwards as he aimlessly attempted to decipher an ancient stone tablet his uncle had found, by means of a hired thug of course. He had cleared off the right stone presentation table so as he could have more space and light to read it. He'd been staring at the damned thing for over an hour and a half and hadn't learned anything new aside from the fact that his legs got sore every twenty-five minutes and that flies made an awfully prosperous living in the cavern. Especially by the riverside. He swatted another just as his uncle yelled over his shoulder.

"Aicantar! How's the tablet coming along?"

"I really can't understand anything on here, Uncle. It-"

"What?! Even after studying the translations parchment I gave you?"

"To be honest, that paper didn't make any sense to me, Uncle."

"Gah! Nevermind it! Go make yourself useful by helping Jerig lift the fallen ruble from last week."

Aicantar sighed in annoyance and quietly left the tablet, shortly before a guard walked into the room (or large cavern if you prefer.), with a heavily armored Nord in tow.

"Hey, Calcelmo! Nordsman by the name of Baroth said he's here to see you. Do you want to speak with him?"

Baroth?... Calcelmo thought for a moment. "Oh, fine! Send him in! And don't interrupt my studies again! Hmph!"

After the guard grunted and left, Baroth walked forwards, holding the strap of his shield over his shoulder, still lost in thought when Calcelmo began talking.

"Hey Baroth! I pray to Numidium this is important! You know I have so much more work to do and-"

"Aye, 'Celmo. I know. Lost in your studies and research, as always... I need a favor of you-"

Calcelmo looked back at Baroth, ceasing to mix the rough powder for the moment. "A favor?! I heard of no such thing in the past and I don't think I've asked for such a favor that would require me to-"

Baroth held up a hand, taking a small step forward. " 'Ey! Stow it! I risked my life to help you find and even 'subdue' a good deal of most of the artifacts in this room so I think I deserve one small favor at least. Among others for the future..."

Calcelmo took a shameful pause before rolling his head and grunting out, "Alright! Alright! What is it? And make it quick!"

"I need a bed and a small room to rest in, just for the night. Perhaps even store my gear in for some time."

"What? A room?! Now how in oblivion am I-"

"You are the head researcher of the Dwemer in a city built by the Dwemer using tools the Dwemer once used to further your studies. I'm sure you have gained either much respect or at least some pity."

"Now what is THAT supposed to mean?! And why do you need a room anyways?"

"It doesn't matter. Can you help me or not?"

Baroth could almost hear Calcelmo mentally cursing to himself and at him. "Fine! JERIG! COME HERE! Don't ask, just come here! AICANTAR! Keep working!"

The mesh-armored guardsman ran over shortly after and inquired as to what he was needed for.

"Yes sir?"

"I need you to show our guest here to one of the newly-installed rooms on the east side of the keep, by the stairs on the second level. If you're questioned, simply tell them that he's my assistant and needs somewhere to stay."

"Yes, sir." He then turned to Baroth. "Follow me, sir."

Baroth nodded, stepping aside as the man lead on. "Likewise."

Clank!
    Baroth sighed in relief as he unclipped and set his steel-reinforced chestplate on the stone by his bed, before collapsing in it. He could feel the fatigue in his aching muscles and sore bones. Gods did he need a rest. A couple years wouldn't hurt at all.

He laid on the bed and reached one hand into his knapsack, pulling out a golden strip of metal with the small hands of a clock in the middle, behind glass. The hands acted as a sun dial would, but, instead of telling the time of day with the assistance of the sun, the 'clock' told the actual standard time of Skyrim. It even housed a unique alarm system set to fit the user's preferences.

Yet another invention Baroth had the Dwemer to thank for.

He used a few of the dials on the side of the clock to tune it's inner enchanted alarms for six-fifteen a.m. then set it aside on one of the stone dressers by his bed. And without a second thought, he got as comfortable as one could in a stone bed and soon feel fast asleep.

He'd need rest and time to think over what would come tomorrow.

He'd need rest...and lots of it.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Lilumae was clearly excited to see Alice mention the book, a clear sign that she had guessed correctly. She smiled at the little redhead, she was so sweet. Helping out a complete stranger just because it was nice and so eager to have a bit of her knowledge validated. Almost like she craved acceptance. Alice understood what that felt like. A girl this young with such a keen mind probably got a lot of noses stuck down at her. People who told her she was just a child or worse, realize that she was right and do something cruel out of embarrassment. Alice knew how that felt too.

However, before the adorable little angel could confirm what was all over her face the Nord warrior from earlier, the one with the steel-reinforced leather armor, stepped over. He was both strong and graceful, a clear sign of a warrior. He helped give Alice more room and she appreciated that but then for some reason he butted into the personal space he helped create. His presence demanded Alice's attention and Simus turned to him as well, wary of the possible intruder who was sizing all three of them up.

"So girl. What made you want to join an army? Was it honor or service? The chance to experience the glory of fighting for a greater cause? Furthermore, what made two imperials join up with Ulfric? The whole "drive out the outsiders from our homeland" makes me think he only has love for his own kind. The state of Windhelm and the Gray Quarter shows that to be a strong assumption. On a change of topic are you here? I gathered that at least some are here for this odd feeling bounty. Why get all these people for a pack of wolves? There is something off about the whole thing,"

Here's a question for you kinsmen. What gives you the right to grill my daughter? Just who the hell do you think you are? Simus thought as the middle aged nord suddenly launched into a full interrogation against Alice. "That's a lot of personal questions kinsman. Did we do something to offend you?" Simus kept his tone carefully polite so as not to anger this man. The war may be under a ceasefire but they were still in Imperial territory and this man could easily be a Legion supporter. Maybe even an off-duty Legion soldier. No one needed another fight tonight.

Alice had been able to relax a little and now felt calm enough to hold a conversation. She looked to her dad, gave a neutral expression and shook her head. A look that said "I'm okay, let me handle this." Simus nodded to show his understanding but kept a close eye on the newcomer and stayed close to Alice. She didn't mind. She stepped forward and folded her still-gloved hands in front of her. Her tone was also carefully polite.

"I'm not part of "the army", I'm part of the Stormcloaks. "The army" is an ambiguous term that could apply to any sanctioned fighting force. And if you really must know I never "wanted" to join the Stormcloaks. I did so by necessity. All I'll say to a stranger is that the Thalmor saw fit to have us...removed. And the Empire, the Empire that I was born in, grew up in, and am an citizen of, decided that my family and I weren't worth its time. And if you had any sort of education you'd know that Ulfric doesn't want to "drive the outsider from our homeland" but for the Nords to rule Skyrim themselves. His personal feelings on foreigners are irrelevant. And yes, there is something amiss about this "bounty". That's why my father and I intended to have no part in it."

Her voice had become increasingly sterner and more passionate and Simus had to step in and rest his hands on her shoulders to calm her down. The very mention of why Alice was in the Stormcloaks raised her passions and the death of her mother would be forever burned into her mind. The little sister and two brothers she had yet to find only added to the constant backdrop of stress that had colored her life. One brother she had heard tales of but remained elusive. The other brother and little sister she hadn't heard a peep from.

"Settle down." Simus whispered in her ear. "Don't start a fight you can't finish." Alice reluctantly admitted she was right. She sighed and apologized by giving the man a quick but sincere curtsy. "I...apologized for my rudeness sir nord. This is a subject of which I have very strong passions for and I meant no offense. I'm afraid we don't know anything more about this bounty than you do but it's certainly more than a pack of wolves. We came here to assist the people of the Reach with Ulfric's blessing but helping this company investigate this matter is not my decision. My father commands our company and it is he who decides our course of action."

Simus gave Alice a dirty look. This wasn't something he wanted to get involved in and he knew she was putting him on the spot, which he hated. "Alice we really don't have time for..."

"Dad, please." Alice sad, hitting her father with the most potent weapon a daughter could unleash against her father. The "sad eyes." Simus tried to resist but Alice held firm and could see it was working. "Do it for that little girl who helped me. We owe her our thanks. Wouldn't that be the honorable thing to do...?" She said in a sweet voice he couldn't resist. "You, my little faerie, are an extortionist." He muttered. He looked to the nord again.

"Of course we'll help kinsmen. We'll get to the bottom of this."

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    (So much happened between posts so I'll try and keep it accurate..)

Isabella smirked over her shoulder, seeing her dear brother being threatened by the father.

'Idiot, doesn't he know that trying to help someone who is having a panic attack a BAD thing? Guess not. Time to help my dearest brother.' Rolling her eyes she was about to get up when a young girl as well as an older one spoke up to the crowd. After they were done announcing their goal with the bounty, she planned and thought to herself. 'Huh... So that's what all the fuss is about. Wolves? Can't be ordinary wolves. Why are my paranoid thief sense tingling up? I wonder if Erebus thinks this is a run of the mill job run. Eh... Better find out tomorrow.'

"Better help him out..." Getting up she marched over to Erebus just as the conversation and confrontation ended. She stopped as the little girl that made the announcement rushed over to help the poor young lady having crisis.

'I'm not even sure she is even a girl. She's probably a teen. Weird. So small, almost malnourished. And yet, she looks clean and fine.' A man came out of nowhere from the crowd, which was now dispersing, and calming spoke. "Let's give them some room here, gents. You both seem capable enough to perform crowd control".

"Yes dear brother, why don't we give them some room." Coming up behind him he was easily startled. "Oh relax," Rolling her eyes, "You're acting like I'm some stalking creep that's going to stab you in the back."

Throwing a glare over his shoulder he spat back, "I am not! And I have every reason to tense." Erebus gestured to the girl working on calming the older one. "Let's just help with crowd control."

Before they could however... Yet another soul wandered in the scene and asked questions.

"I'm glad someone calmed that girl down. One could have slapped her out of it considering it was a simple panic attack. I wouldn't have due to certain circumstances." He walled off the crowd before walking over and asking multiple questions to the young woman who had just had a panic attack. Isabella looked around and found the one who helped her walk through her attack walked away, presumably to her companion's table.

"So girl. What made you want to join an army? Was it honor or service? The chance to experience the glory of fighting for a greater cause? Furthermore, what made two imperials join up with Ulfric? The whole "drive out the outsiders from our homeland" makes me think he only has love for his own kind. The state of Windhelm and the Gray Quarter shows that to be a strong assumption. On a change of topic are you here? I gathered that at least some are here for this odd feeling bounty. Why get all these people for a pack of wolves? There is something off about the whole thing,"

-------------------------------------------

'He sure asks a lot of questions.' Erebus thought. 'Reminds me when Isabella wouldn't keep her trap shut when trying to learn faster than the others. Constantly asking questions.. But, some of those questions need to be answered. Such as this wolf problem.'

"That's a lot of personal questions kinsman. Did we do something to offend you?"

Erebus felt tugging on his arm and he looked sharply back at his sister. She shook her head, indicated they should leave. 'Of all the times... She chooses now to not be an eavesdropper. And we aren't even eavesdropping! Well, not exactly anyway.' Shaking his head in irritation he focused back on the conversation. Isabella stopped tugging on his arm, letting out a low moan of annoyance. She of course stayed.

"I'm not part of "the army", I'm part of the Stormcloaks. "The army" is an ambiguous term that could apply to any sanctioned fighting force. And if you really must know I never "wanted" to join the Stormcloaks. I did so by necessity. All I'll say to a stranger is that the Thalmor saw fit to have us...removed. And the Empire, the Empire that I was born in, grew up in, and am an citizen of, decided that my family and I weren't worth its time. And if you had any sort of education you'd know that Ulfric doesn't want to "drive the outsider from our homeland" but for the Nords to rule Skyrim themselves. His personal feelings on foreigners are irrelevant. And yes, there is something amiss about this "bounty". That's why my father and I intended to have no part in it."

While her supposed father's tone was more assertive and aggressive, the daughter was seemingly patient and polite. 'I really hope there aren't any Thalmor in here. Otherwise things might get rough.' He and his sister have so far seen Imperial's, Stormcloaks, Thugs... And after hearing what happened as of late he wouldn't be surprised if a few Thalmor considering The Reach was Imperial Territory.

The father whispered something in her ear, and she quickly apologized. "I...apologized for my rudeness sir Nord. This is a subject of which I have very strong passions for and I meant no offense. I'm afraid we don't know anything more about this bounty than you do but it's certainly more than a pack of wolves. We came here to assist the people of the Reach with Ulfric's blessing but helping this company investigate this matter is not my decision. My father commands our company and it is he who decides our course of action."

'Everyone's got a story it seems... Theirs doesn't seem to happy.' Erebus cocked his head with a frown at them. He felt a tug on his arm again and he spun around sharply. "What?!" he grit his teeth in irritation.

He was met with an equally impressive glare. "Let's. Go." The two Stormcloaks were arguing, before the older man relented into helping with the wolves. "Of course we'll help kinsmen. We'll get to the bottom of this."

Erebus struggled on what to say. He wanted to speak up but after getting into that minor confrontation, he was afraid that both Stormcloaks didn't mind him too well. Fortunately, Isabella's big social mouth came into play.

"Count us in too." The small group looked at her and she drank up the attention. "I mean, he's right," She indicated to the man that asked a whole bunch of questions to the Stormcloaks. "A pack of wolves. Startling travelers and apparently the Jarl wants a big group to drive them out. If it wasn't a problem he wouldn't bother with it, or he would get a few of his own men to clear it out. Either that, or something spooked him. Who knows. If I was the Jarl I would want a bigger group to make sure the job is done."

Erebus brought a hand up and pinched the bridge of his nose. A headache was starting to come on. His sister was pulling off the know-it-all attitude. 'Gods help me.'

"So, the bigger the group the easier it will be. We deal with the wolves, we all come out alive, we get paid, the people are safe and sound and happy. The Jarl is happy, everyone is happy. Everybody wins." She paused before continuing seconds later,"Besides, if the wolves aren't taken care of now, that will leave more trouble for later."

'Man, how I want to cuff in the back of the head so bad right now.' Erebus winced in pain. He didn't like being embarrassed in public or making a scene. But still, he wasn't going to speak up so she might as well do it.

"By the way, I'm sorry for my brother's rude behavior. Sometimes he acts before he thinks." She threw a glare at him and he of course, glared back.

"I wasn't...! Ugh.. Never mind." Turning to both of the Stormcloaks he took a deep breath a courage. "I'm sorry, I was just concerned is all. Common sense left me in the heat of the moment. I'm sorry." Erebus shrugged in apology.

Rolling her eyes, Isabella made a quick jab. "By the grace of--You sound like a child caught in a devious and sour act trying to sweet talk your way out."

A gob smacked Erebus stared at his sister, not believing what she just said. Until he saw the smirk. "Don't think you're going to get a rise out of me."

"Whatever are you talking about brother?" She turned to him. "I was under the impression that you were the smart and clever one, not the one that... Oh... What was that phrase you said to father... 'A bumbling buffoon that stumbles into everything?'" She continued to smirk, "'Without thinking' no less?"

'Damn it! She did eavesdrop on me and father. I knew someone was in the room!' The brother decided to stay quiet, conceding to defeat. It was odd, being the dumb bumbling buffoon that stumbles into everything. He hated it. 'I want to be the smart one again..' He whined in his head, but stayed silent.

"Finally, I get you to shut up." Turning back to the group she put on a smile. "So? Are we hunting some wolves or not?"

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
    “Ah, it is business… Personal business, not Thalmor. Hope you find good fortune. Lady Stormwind…” he smirked. Odd how that gives off such a Nordic vibe, Viverac thought. But he didn’t really think too much about it. She was just a pleasant distraction, the nice little show that warms up the audience for the main event. Stifling a laugh at the little girls comment about milk. Then the little girl did something more miraculous, calmed down the girl having a panic attack. He weaved his long fingers together laughing a little to himself.

Viverac watched the big to do around the tavern with a slight smirk. She responds like a survivor of the Night of Green Fire, he thought. Adjusting his wrappings around his head, he placed his hat upon his head. He bowed deeply, picking up his tankard. Holding it as a toast to his companion. It was strange to him, how seemingly random people, with no association with the girl would drop everything to try and console her. Asides from the little girl he saw at the keep, of course. Her and her “sister” were definitely very interesting. With a tip of his hat, Viverac approached the group, swathed completely in his cloth.

“Finally, down to business,” Viverac said approaching the group. The only visual part of his face, being the glints of his eyes and his teeth. Not exactly a comforting visage, but Viverac was anything but a comforting sight. He took a very deep bow, spreading his robes in the manor of a bird presenting its plumage. He snapped his teeth, like a dog, at the female thief. Inside his head his brain was filled with raucous laughter, the only hint to his bemusement was his smile growing. Chips of marble catching the light among the void from the candlelight. With a curt, bow he spoke again. “It is an amazing how impressive everyone looks who has gathered for this job.”

TheCaptain

The Mad Conductor of Words
    John like everybody else in the room took notice of the young adult declaring what she and her sister, who looked nothing alike in John's opinion, were going to go kill some wolves in the morning though John wasn't really interesting at the announcement until a Wolf cave was mentioned and that there would be coin *the last report said they were going to clear up a wolf cave, worth looking into I guess and I'll get some coin out of it so two birds, one stone" thought John as Klepper came back with his food and set it down in front of him "ah lovely" he said as he started to dig into it and being what he is, he really liked the taste of the meat. after finishing his meal he pulled out and put a bag of gold down on the bar "room for the night please" he said as Kleppr picked the bag up "room on the far right, it's yours" said the bartender as John walked off to his room.

John
    deciding it was time to rest as he unstrapped his quiver and bow leaning them against the bottom of the bed, next he untied his Blade from his belt setting it down in between the bedside cabinet and the bed and just in case of someone was stupid enough to attack him he unsheathed his knife before carefully placing it under his pillow. after he took off his armor he laid face down on the bed with his hand under the pillow holding the knife and slowly fell asleep.

Last edited:

Wolfbane

"That's a lot of personal questions kinsman. Did we do something to offend you?"

"I take no offense. I'm just curious as to why a child would join, as did I at a young age."

"Girl, you got a sharp tongue and a quick mind. I suppose you are right. The Stormcloaks are no army. Just a lesser of two evils. Remember this, girl, war has no winners, and few morals. If you had the proper sense in seeing that, you would know. How did you put it? Any sort of education? The most valued lesson is often the hardest," He pulled out a worn down picture, stared into it for a short while, then folded it back up when the girl spoke, offering an apology after her father whispered something into her ear, "I...apologized for my rudeness sir Nord. This is a subject of which I have very strong passions for and I meant no offense. I'm afraid we don't know anything more about this bounty than you do but it's certainly more than a pack of wolves. We came here to assist the people of the Reach with Ulfric's blessing but helping this company investigate this matter is not my decision. My father commands our company and it is he who decides our course of action."

"Alice we really don't have time for..."
    "Dad, please. "Do it for that little girl who helped me. We owe her our thanks. Wouldn't that be the honorable thing to do...?"

The charms of a daughter knows no bounds. Alice was a quick one, that was shown. Ardin knew the conversation would lead him to the answer, he just didn't think about the potential fight he could have created if there were Thalmor in here. Hopefully this will soon dissipate.

"Of course we'll help kinsmen. We'll get to the bottom of this," The reluctance in his voice was heavy, and the grin on his daughters face was big. It would seem as if they weren't the only ones. The two roguish types in the shadow began to chatter, then a feminine voice cut through the silent wall of black, "Count us in too. I mean, he's right. A pack of wolves. Startling travelers and apparently the Jarl wants a big group to drive them out. If it wasn't a problem he wouldn't bother with it, or he would get a few of his own men to clear it out. Either that, or something spooked him. Who knows. If I was the Jarl I would want a bigger group to make sure the job is done, " He was glad that there was another person of reason. A woman with the ability to reason is the ultimate foe. That's what his father always told him as a young man. He kept it to heart, and learned to respect strong willed and quick witted girls. The young man next to her pinched his nose probably due to not wanting to be apart of a larger group, "So, the bigger the group the easier it will be. We deal with the wolves, we all come out alive, we get paid, the people are safe and sound and happy. The Jarl is happy, everyone is happy. Everybody wins." She paused before continuing,"Besides, if the wolves aren't taken care of now, that will leave more trouble for later. By the way, I'm sorry for my brother's rude behavior. Sometimes he acts before he thinks."

A father and daughter, two siblings, the other girl and her guardian. The links were all finally forming. Relationships are showing themselves and the interaction binding them to make new links altogether. Slow but surely they will get to know each other. At least on a platonic level. It wouldn't serve any of them good being paranoid about one another.

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
    bb0bb55f-57fa-4f88-95e8-4f330db8f0f4_zpsb2e86ff2.jpg

Lilumae was uncomfortable with all the eyes that suddenly seemed locked on her, waiting for a response to the father, Simus, that had questioned her.
    While she awkwardly tried to come up with a response, (addressing people never having been her strong suit to begin with), someone else stepped in and began speaking with Alice and Simus, paying the tiny redhead little to no heed.

Returning to the table where Winter resided, the small girl seemed somewhat alarmed,
    "Where are you going?"
    Lilumae chirped, watching with cautious eyes as Winter rose from her seat, finished at last with her games and then promptly started towards the door of the inn.
    It was clear the ebony haired vixen was planning to leave without a single care in the world towards the hustle and bustle behind her.

"I dunno. Someplace less crowded, no doubt. I saw a pretty looking woman running a shop down the way, maybe I'll go ruin a marriage by making her very confused about her orientation." Winter mused aloud, more planning her next move than actually answering Lilumae's question.
    "Miss Winter!" Lilumae exclaimed, following the Breton out of the inn, running to keep up.
    The sun had set by this point, replaced with a bright white moon, pouring across the city streets, flooding the city with moonlight.

The people of Markarth had begun to find their way home, shops were closing, families were sitting down to late dinners, or turning in for an early rest. If Winter didn't know of the dangerous world that loomed outside the city walls, she'd almost call it peaceful.
    Almost.

"Listen, kid, if you're expecting me to shape up and act righteous just because I'm doing the Jarl one little favor, I have some terrible news for you."

"It's not that... I don't care what you do on your own time, I just... didn't want to be left behind."

A look of surprise flit across Winters face before she shushed it aside with a shrug,
    "Whatever. I guess I can flirt with that lady some other time. Let's go checkout the blacksmith, maybe I can get a discount on some weapons if I--"
    "Winter!"
    "I'm kidding! .....mostly."
    "Can't we just... I dunno, go patrol?"
    "You know they have guards for that right? And the guards are even paid for it and everything. It's like a real job. Their job."
    "We could check out The Hag's Cure. It's open for another hour, if I remember correctly." Lilumae offered, gesturing to the apothecary off in the distance.

"The Potions Shop? Hmm. I suppose I could use some more Nightshade... alright then, lead the way, kid."
    "Excellent!" Lilumae squeaked, taking hold of Winters hand and half-dragging her along the path to the shop, eager to browse its wares.

"By the way. I'm not a kid. I'm nearly fifteen! That's practically an adult in some parts of the world!" Lilumae added offhand, wanting to clarify the common misconception.
    "Nearly Fifteen! Well goodness me, my mistake, madam. Did you know I'm nearly a princess? I mean, I'm not right now, but once I marry a prince I will be, so that's practically the same thing, right? Being nearly something?" Winter replied, chortling a bit as she did.
    "In some places, girls marry as young as thirteen!" Lilumae continued, holding the door open for Winter and then following in close behind.
    "You don't say? Who's the lucky groom then?"
    "Winter!"
    "You're right, I'm sorry, so silly of me, it's very obvious you play for the other team, now then, who's the lucky bride?"
    "WINTER!"
    Winter shook her head, trying not to laugh at how easy it was to rile up the small redhead.
    "I get it, I get it. You're not a kid. Point taken, I promise."
    "...thankyou." Lilumae replied, her gaze softening a moment before she turned her attention to the beautiful display of herbs and flowers set on a nearby wrack just left of the door.

Winter let her be a moment before she asked,
    "So when do I get to meet your fiancee?"
    "Winter De'Lune, you are incorrigible!" Lilumae snapped, storming off to the other end of the store to browse while Winter was left to her own devices near the herbs display, cackling in delight.

Last edited:

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Alice was very pleased with herself. She had manipulated her father into getting what she wanted and couldn't help but grin at her victory. It really wasn't something a daughter should do for her own personal gain, which this was, but it was also for a good reason. By helping these people and satisfying Alice's own curiosity they were also helping the people of The Reach with this problem, which was their mission. So it could be rationalized that she wasn't doing a thing wrong. Simus had barely accepted the idea and wasn't happy with being manipulated but he was also curious on this matter and it would indeed help the area.

What both of them were somewhat put off by was this Nord who was talking to Alice as if she needed his advice. She already knew the most valuable lessons were the hardest. The last year had made that abundantly clear. She appreciated his compliment on her quick mind and sharp tongue, both things she prided herself on, but he was looking more arrogant than wise. She folded her arms across her chest over her small bust and gave him a "look who thinks he's the Jarl's Court Wizard" look.

"Thank you for the complement." She began. "But again, you misinterpret what I'm saying. The Stormcloaks are indeed an army. They follow my previous definition as an organized fighting forced sanctioned by someone who can supply, maintain and lead it. In this case Ulfric Stormcloak, the Jarl of Windhelm and its founder. You are however correct in saying that it's the lesser of two evils. The Imperial Legion is trying to maintain order. I understand that and even encourage it, but they don't bother trying to understand why the Stormcloaks are fighting. They don't care. In the eyes of General Tullius, who is shamefully ignorant of Skyrim's culture, Ulfric and soldiers like my father and I are just brigands to be put to the sword without a second thought. That is why I fight the Legion, not because I wish any harm against my fellow Imperial citizens. I do what I do because I must. In the best of all worlds this war would never need to happen. Ulfric would make his case to High King Torygg peacefully and he would be either accepted or rejected. That's why I thank Talos every night before bedtime for this ceasefire. After months the killing has stopped and if my prayers are answered it will stop for good."

She could see that this Nord was no lawless beast. He was a highly intelligent, well traveled man who appreciated an intellectual match as well as a physical one. Alice always enjoyed a good debate and was sharp enough to outwit most of her elders. Her father made for great practice.

While she was talking she took notice of the thieves in the corner. The young woman of the pair had made herself known by agreeing with this Nord and making a good case for going on this adventure. She didn't really add anything to the conversation but the fact that she was able to form her own opinion so eloquently and in her own words showed that she was also highly intelligent. Alice chuckled at the part where she apologized for her brother's impulsive behavior. Alice knew what that was like all too well with her own brother. The only other member of the family she and her father had found. Titus had found his way into the Companions and had stayed out of the Stormcloaks. He had also never really worshiped Talos as his father and sister had so his record was clean in the eyes of the Thalmor. Alice and Simus missed Titus when they were away like this and rarely got to see him but they thanked all the gods that he had stayed clear of this stupid war.

Alice decided to introduce himself to this sharp, if arrogant, Nord. He had earned that much. "Thank you for the compliment sir Nord, and for showing your own wit in the process. My name is Alice and this is my father Simus. If your allegiance is to the Empire than I hope the powers that be allow us to call you friend."

She turned to the thief. "And to you Imperial sister. I understand what it's like to have an impulsive brother, believe me! I look forward to getting to know both of you."

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
    As the night continued, Severus began to study the others a little more closely. Though he'd received a few glances in passing, no one had yet discovered what he was. Though none of them appeared to be concerned with the unarmoured mercenary sitting in the shadows. Which, Severus supposed, was a small stroke of luck. If he'd been forced to kill one or more of the enterprising adventurers, there would have been trouble. Possibly more than he could handle alone.

Which could be a threat the entire time he was in the city, and possibly longer, if the entire group of swords for hire decided to move against the 'wolf' pack. His gaze settled on the Imperial mercenary. He'd already noted that men of that mans' character tended to know how to keep their mouths shut. And having someone on his side, or at least looking the other way, could be extremely useful.

Then he glanced at the robed figure with the hat, and to the Altmer woman in the silvery robes. He doubted either of them were the type that would find much friends in Skyrim. Even with a ceasefire in place, non Nords weren't exactly loved. Though he had no intentions of revealing his actual identity, if he could help it. Standing, he looped around the large group that had formed around the pair of stormcloaks, handing his still full mug of ale off to a miner.

He took the stool nearest the Imperial mercenary. "I would assume, since you're still here, that you're currently looking for work? The kind that pays well, with minimum effort on your part" he drew a coinpurse from his belt and dropped it on the bar beside the mercenaries forearm.

Wolfbane

He was staring at the working girls while the girl continued to explain her stance. as much as he wanted to counterpoint her, he decided not to and just introduce himself by his first name, not his whole. He assumed introducing himself by his whole name would raise all kinds of hells in a small area. Drunks, Stormcloaks, Imperials, Probably hidden Thalmor, and gods knows what else were not a good combination in that brothel. He half wanted to pull the nearest working girl, but he wanted to talk to the young stormcloak.

"Thank you for the compliment sir Nord, and for showing your own wit in the process. My name is Alice and this is my father Simus. If your allegiance is to the Empire than I hope the powers that be allow us to call you friend."

"And I'm Ardin, well met. I speculate we'll get to know each other better through this odd situation," He gave Alice and Simus a strong and respectable handshake to his seat to gather his thoughts and wait until everyone told their story and to watch their reactions. His attention kept on going back to a beautiful bosmer girl, making her way towards him. When she reached him, he pulled her on his lap on he whispered in her ear, "If I make it out alive, we'll meet again soon," the girl gave him a lustfully hopeful smile as he gave a smirk before lifting her chin up to kiss her. Why did it, he did not know. He didn't care either way, and he sat back into his seat as he popped his knuckles and played with a septim in between his fingers

Drahkma

Dashing Imperial Officer.
    Ardus glanced to the right as an Imperial took a seat beside him and offered him work. The kind that 'required minimal effort with maximum payout'. He snorted. He'd had dozens of would be employers offer him jobs like that. Most times, it was something petty. Wreck a rival businessmans' place, beat up an ex-lover, stuff like that. But something was different about this guys request. Normally, he would have turned him down regardless, since he'd already offered his services to the jarl. But the job for the jarl would be a cake walk. And this guy was paying up front. "Fine. What do you have in mind? Bodyguard work?" He sincerely hoped not. Bodyguard work was often times more pain than it was worth.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
    The mercenary asked him what kind of work he had in mind, and Severus nearly had to struggle not to laugh at him. Obviously, the man thought he'd meant something like bodyguard work. "I'm more than capable of looking out for myself." He glanced at the coin purse, now securely in the mans hand."I simply need your guarantee that should something happen, you'll remain neutral" he said quietly. His gaze strayed to the Altmer woman, sitting on her own. She too would be less than welcome in Skyrim, just for being what she was. An alliance between the two of them might not be out of the question. But first, he had to wrap up his business with the mercenary. "So, do we have an agreement?"

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
    "I...apologized for my rudeness sir Nord. This is a subject of which I have very strong passions for and I meant no offense. I'm afraid we don't know anything more about this bounty than you do but it's certainly more than a pack of wolves."
    Thomas perked up at this. He hadnt really tuned into all of the conversation before then, what with all the political discussion that plauged many a discussion, but having heard the word 'Bounty' moments before his ears had subconsciously sprung into action. By now he had figured out the girl was an Alice, whilst her Father was Simus. That suggested Imperial ancestry, despite their lapiz coloured armour, but again, he chose not to weigh in.

Meanwhile, their verbal accoster introduced himself as an Arden, & ironically this supporter of the Empire was a Nord. Thomas had no animosity towards him for his opposite political stanced to the girl, but Thomas was sure he hadnt spoken so friendly to the Stormcloaks before. The big Nord warrior had left without so much as a light shove to keep the crowd at bay, but the two siblings had held their ground. He listened in as they joined the conversation.
    "-We deal with the wolves, we all come out alive, we get paid, the people are safe and sound and happy. The Jarl is happy, everyone is happy. Everybody wins."
    Glad to see some other mercenary types on the scene, Thomas went to point out the woman who had introduced the bounty, only to see she had left, & with the young girl too. Bobbing his head above the ground to make sure he hadnt overlooked them, when he dropped back into the conversation had taken a different route, with people now exchanging pleasentries.

Currently it was Isabel-, no, Alice who was speaking. She seemed to have recovered quickly after the redhead had flown away. "And to you Imperial sister. I understand what it's like to have an impulsive brother, believe me! I look forward to getting to know both of you."
    Thomas decided to interject at this point. For some reason the words impulsive brother caused him to spring to action. He'd been standing there for a while now, & up until this point had been completely exterior to the conversation.
    "Well as long as we're all getting along nicely, might yours truly add that I also am also interested in said bounty. What's everybodies plans?" He stopped for a second, not keen to lose his brief control of the conversation. He looked at Alice. "How're you doing? Dont suppose you want something to drink? If I'm going to end up spending some money on a lady tonight, it might as well be for the common good."

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
    He was ignored, Vivi hated being ignored. By Azura, he even timed it so he appeared right after they talked of their traumatic experience with the Thalmor. Oh well, he thought. You can’t win for losing. He thought the entire predicament sounded… Well it sounded farfetched as it comes. But the evidence backed up their story. Vivi remembered seeing dossiers on the pair, and he had to shrug. He snapped back and forth from contemplating fiery slaughter and analytical musings for a few seconds. The political talk was a bore, and he had heard every side before. Let them stay within their illusion born of dissolution, they are all foolish and shortsighted. He did take note of the vaguely hypocritical phrasing “Ulfric doesn’t want to drive the outsiders out” yet the phrase “his personal feelings on foreigners are irrelevant.” That is the entire point of the statement, Viverac giggled to himself. Such a strange and silly girl.

Speaking of strange and silly girls, Viverac realized he let himself be drawn into the excitement the two women had left the tavern. He let out a groan, like a man who was woken up to early, and proceeded outside. They did say they were setting out tomorrow, then he realized he forgot if they said the morning or later in the day. Drifting outside the Inn, Viverac looked at the night sky. The great moons and stars dancing in front of his eyes, and Viverac found himself moving as well. A sweeping waltz through the streets of Markharth. The guards seemed used to it by now at least, Viverac thought as he began to hum. It was gentle and slowly grew louder and stronger, until he was muttering the words to a classic Altmeri Opera to himself.

“Have you… Have you… Danced among the roses… Have you, have you? Have you danced along to the Lover’s song…? Have you… O’ have you… Felt the Warmth of the sea, and the embrace of Atherius?”

He would just try to find the women in the morning, and so he wandered his way around the city. He saw the two girls making their way around and in a moment of boredom he followed. After all it might be good to talk.

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
    "You haven't enough, lass. Not for the whole thing anyway. I can cut it down the middle if you like, sell ya half, won't be as potent though, I'm 'fraid." Winter approached the front of the shop after she'd gathered her own odds and ends, to find Lilumae haggling with a shopkeeper, apparently a few coins short of purchasing some mushroom that Winter was unfamiliar with.

"Here, that enough?" Winter tossed a few coins the shopkeeps way, enough for hers and Lilumae's purchase, who counted them out meticulously before quieting agreeing to the amount.
    "Miss Winter, I can't allow you to pay for--"
    "Shut it, kid. I already did. Let's get moving, we've got an early start tomorrow." Winter cut off the stuttering redhead before she could protest, knowing she'd not be the sort to enjoy people buying her things and likely feel guilty about it later.

After gathering up her supplies, Winter led the way out into the night, pondering the days events and curious to the days that may follow.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, at the gates leading into Markarth where the black haired Breton said she'd be, Winter was nowhere to be found.
    An apologetic Lilumae appeared at one point, looking frantic and disheveled, promising that they'd be moving out soon.

She returned nearly an hour later, Winter in toe looking positively sullen and obviously half-awake. It was clear the redhead had just recently managed to rouse Winter from her sleep, who'd responded with about as much enthusiasm as a dying horse.

"Hi. I'm here. We leaving now?" She grumbled at those present.
    "She means 'good morning'. that's her ways of saying 'good morning', really it is." Lilumae chirped awkwardly, hoping that Winter would be more sociable once she'd felt more awake.

Drahkma

Dashing Imperial Officer.
    After Ardus and the other Imperial settled their agreement, the bounty hunter went to his room to get some rest before he had to head out in the morning. When he awoke, he dressed in his clothes, and strapped on his various armour plates, before buckling his sword belt. He headed outside, into the streets of Markarth, and headed for the main gates. Only to find the girl that said she'd be there come dawn, nowhere in sight.

He scowled and looked around, noticing that some of the others from the night before were standing around,looking more lost than purposeful. He sighed, and took his place standing slightly apart from the others, and rested against the hewn rock of the wall by the gate. The little girl that had been with her showed up, looking a little flustered, apologized, before running off.

An hour later, the young Breton finally showed her face, and looked like she'd been dragged behind a wild horse. Or, the more likely situation, had stayed up all night. "How good of you to join us lesser mortals" Ardus said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Ready to go? Or would you like a nice breakfast first?"

Last edited:

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
    When dawn arrived at last, Severus left the tavern, wincing as the sunlight came in contact with his flesh. Contrary to the beliefs of superstitious peasants, vampires didn't typically burst into flame upon coming in contact with the light of the sun. It hurt them, weakened them, but it could be endured. And Severus hadn't seen any vampires he knew burst into flame yet. He took a position near the main gate, and stood so that he was mostly in the shadows cast by the buildings.

A few moments later, the girl that had been with the older Breton showed up, apologized for her companions absence, and then vanished back into the twisting streets and alleyways of the city. The vampire took the time to look around, noticing that several mercenaries from the night had shown up at the gate. Including the Imperial Severus had made his deal with. None of them looked overly impressed that the Breton was late. Though that wasn't particularly bothering him. It gave him a little more time to study possible enemies and allies.

An hour passed, and the girl returned, nearly dragging her supposed sister behind her. The Breton mumbled something, and the girl addressed the group once more. The Imperial merc made a snide comment, which Severus tuned out. He was increasingly curious as to the varied skills and abilities of the group. He rested his left hand on the pommel of his sword, and kept his right relaxed at his side, before turning towards the gates. He was as eager as any of them to deal with this 'wolf' problem over with, and then return to the Bloodlet Throne.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts