I want the Bad Grammar pin back

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Just noticed the bad manners and ranter one.

I should be getting the ranter one. A lot.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Bad grammar was being used mostly in 2 ways:

Either it was being spammed on people because it's a negative rating or it was attached to people who obviously don't have great command of English or don't speak it natively.

Neither of those things are in keeping with the ratings system or these forums. We thought that giving negative ratings for nastiness was a much better way to reflect the point of the ratings as well as the spirit of the forums.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
A very wise decision, Rayven. I know I've had the bad grammar one flung at me on a few occasions. Which is hilarious. The Bad Manners one however, I wish was something other then a clock. LOL

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I haven't tried to make something spiffy to take the place of the clock for it. I suppose we could use the :mad: face or something instead.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Didn't the clock used to be for something that was considered 'old'?

Star Gazer

Well... were you exhibiting bad manners when you got the rating?
it was almost appropriate for the situation if that's what you're asking. I apologized immediately, but still got tagged as 'rude'

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, I can remove erroneous/inappropriate ratings. You just have to report the post that the rating is attached to or send me a link to the actual post where the rating appears. I can read the thread and decide if the rating is in the spirit of the ratings system.

See this little red sliver in my rating bar? for BAD MANNERS
Same here, bro. I know that feel.

I really hate the "Bad Manners" pin. It's not because I get it all the time, it's because this is the internet. It isn't exactly made for good manners.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
No. No bad grammer button. My grammer sucks. :oops:

Many people are willing to help you with your grammatical weakness. You just need to find a beta buddy to help you :) Buffington Battle-Born happens to be my Grammar Nazi police man. He'll let me know if I make any grammar mistakes. The last time he showed me a gun as motivation to get better, and to improve my English. I hope I don't fail him.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
A very wise decision, Rayven. I know I've had the bad grammar one flung at me on a few occasions. Which is hilarious. The Bad Manners one however, I wish was something other then a clock. LOL

You see it so often, it has to at least look nice.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
To this very day I want the grammar pin back :sadface: It's rather depressing not to see it. Perhaps it can return, but it won't effect peoples overall ratings? That would be nice.

Afraid not. As I stated before, it was being applied in a way that was against the spirit of the forums. And quite frankly, if bad grammar is the worst problem someone has, I'll take it.

Seriously though, no one should get "punished" for not having complete and total command of English. There have certainly been posts that would merit a true application of a bad grammar rating that appear to be written by 10 years olds using textlish. I get it.

Still, not every person has the benefit of even learning grammar. I have fellow classmates in college who can't diagram a sentence, can't spell worth crap and break down in tears at the thought of a 1 page essay. The grammar expectations in our own schools have plummeted. Now, when you factor in that we are an international site and people, when given such a thing as a bad grammar rating tool, just can't help themselves but to apply it to anyone struggling with our language, it's simply rude and unwelcoming.

If you're that obsessed by grammar, lead by example and use it to its fullest extent. Then step back when you see bad grammar, and understand that there are bigger problems in this world to obsess over.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
To this very day I want the grammar pin back :sadface: It's rather depressing not to see it. Perhaps it can return, but it won't effect peoples overall ratings? That would be nice.

While I'd like it too, It's better that it's gone. As Rayven said, it was being used unfairly, especially for people with English as their second language.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts