I think Jarl Balgruuf is a douche.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
First time you meet him, he asks you to journey into a cave full of draugr, and retrieve a Dragonstone (which turns out to be useless).

At that point in the game, most players aren't even wearing armor, otherwise their armor is the sh1ttiest kind you can acquire.

THEN he asks you to kill a DRAGON. What the hell.

Throughout the game, he shows little respect to your Dragonborn character.

He's also a douche, because it shouldn't take a fkn Dragon to send guards to Riverwood. Considering all the witches, necromancers, vampires, and other sh1t creeping around... he should have sent the guards looong ago.

He's a douche.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
On the contrary, I believe him to be one of the best Jarls.

It's a game would you rather go around picking flowers and catching fish, or dive into a tomb filled with loot and peril?
He had guards there but withdrew them when the rebellion broke out. (they are safe as they are in between Falkreath and Whiterun there are guards in Rorikstead)
No one respects the DB until you kill Alduin.

Every other Jarl makes you do ridiculous tasks as well. balgruuf just makes you do things that progress the story.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
On the contrary, I believe him to be one of the best Jarls.

It's a game would you rather go around picking flowers and catching fish, or dive into a tomb filled with loot and peril?
He had guards there but withdrew them when the rebellion broke out. (they are safe as they are in between Falkreath and Whiterun there are guards in Rorikstead)
No one respects the DB until you kill Alduin.

Every other Jarl makes you do ridiculous tasks as well. balgruuf just makes you do things that progress the story.

At that point in the game, most players are wearing sh1tty armor with sh1tty weapons, yet the douche still thinks it a good idea to send you to a dungeon. I doubt he even thought you'd make it alive.

All the other jarls are douches, too. Only "jarl" I like is that dude in Solstheim.

EDIT: At that point in the game, I don't want to go into dungeons. My player can't even kill a bear at that point.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
He gives you armor for walking down a road and saying "Hey I saw Dragon....or a really big Argonian"
and there's nothing to say you have to go dive into Bleak Falls that very second.

Besides it's better than fetching Mead, Killing an ancient Vampire,ending a skooma network or Winning an entire war

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
From the dialogue, it seems like Balgruuf is creaming for you to get the useless stone as fast as possible.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
You wanna get back at this scumbag Jarl? Join the ranks of the Stormcloaks :)

And yes I do agree this Jarl is the biggest douche bag in Skyrim.

Jarl-Balgruuf-is-a-scumbag.jpeg

then
scumbag%20jarl.jpg

If I was a diehard Imperial supporter I would most likely hate him even more for showing such utter and disrespect for the Imperial legion. In Battle for Whiterun (Which he personally engaged with):

Imperial Soldier: "Sir! I... I have..."
Quentin: "Take a moment to breathe, soldier."
Imperial Soldier: "But... sir..."
Quentin: "Breathe!"
Balgruuf: "The outer walls are strong. If we can hold them there..."
Quentin: "They have catapults."
Balgruuf: "Damnit. Where'd they get catapults? The city walls are already falling apart as it is."
Quentin: "My scouts tell me they're loading them with fire."
Balgruuf: "So, he wants to take my city, walls intact."
Quentin: "The men will be fighting in flames."
Balgruuf: "My men are fearless. It's the Imperial milk drinkers I'm worried about."
Quentin: "If you prefer I took my men and left..."
Balgruuf: "No. Of course not. Just - don't let me down Cipius. We'll need to set up water brigades to combat the flames."
Quentin: "Already taken care of."
Balgruuf: "You Imperials are efficient, I'll give you that. How long until they arrive?"
Quentin: "Not long. They're hiding in the country side."
Balgruuf: "Damnit. What's he waiting for?"
Imperial Soldier: "Sir!"
Quentin: "What?!"
Imperial Soldier: "Sir, they're on the move. They'll be at the gates at any moment!"
Quentin: "Why didn't you say so immediately?!"
Imperial Soldier: "Sir, I tried."
Balgruuf: "This is it! Time to see what these Stormcloaks are made of."
Quentin: "The men are already gathering at the gates. Move it soldier. Spread the word. Go. Go. Go."
Balgruuf: "Oblivion take them. Every miserable last one of them."

Balruuf is clearly taking an advantage of the Imperial legion by his personal grudge against Ulfric. He's not truly an Imperial supporter, just using them to get back at Ulfric for personal reasons. He caused the total destruction in his city, not Ulfric.

ShadowHunter

At that point in the game, most players are wearing sh1tty armor with sh1tty weapons, yet the douche still thinks it a good idea to send you to a dungeon. I doubt he even thought you'd make it alive.

All the other jarls are douches, too. Only "jarl" I like is that dude in Solstheim.

EDIT: At that point in the game, I don't want to go into dungeons. My player can't even kill a bear at that point.
Well he gives you some armor the first time you meet him, and he isn't the one that sends you to get the Dragonstone, it is Farengar that sends you.

He doesn't send you alone to fight the Dragon, he sends you with Irileth and about 4 Whiterun Guards

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
You can get Breezehome for free if you join the Legion.
and you fault him for having a grudge against Ulfric? Galmar wanted Ulfric to just kill him.
And Ulfric had no need to Attack Whiterun he just wanted to show off his "army".

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
Well he gives you some armor the first time you meet him, and he isn't the one that sends you to get the Dragonstone, it is Farengar that sends you.

He doesn't send you alone to fight the Dragon, he sends you with Irileth and about 4 Whiterun Guards

Oh, come one. You don't send amateurs into dungeons with draugr. In fact, Farengar makes mention that many of the people he sends to him don't even live.

Baldouche simple lucked out this time. The Dragonborn happened to be the one he sent.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Oh, come one. You don't send amateurs into dungeons with draugr. In fact, Farengar makes mention that many of the people he sends to him don't even live.

Baldouche simple lucked out this time. The Dragonborn happened to be the one he sent.
If you don't want a challenging fight play on Novice.
If you don't want to do quests and fight Draugr..play doodlejump.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
If you don't want a challenging fight play on Novice.
If you don't want to do quests and fight Draugr..play doodlejump.

Has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Baldouche doesn't know you are the Dragonborn (neither do you). He doesn't know a thing about your combat skills. He likely didn't even expect you to come back alive. Most of the people he sends on missions don't.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
I'm saying it's a game. I doubt he would send just one person to do anything if there was any sort of realism.
Look at his character after that particular story advancing dialogue.

He tries to remain Neutral Ulfric won't accept that, he has you broker peace between the two sides, and he lets you catch a Dragon on his porch.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Delphine has Balgruuf beat as a douche. She's right there when Irileth comes yelling at Farengar that a dragon was seen and what does she do? Walk out. She's nowhere to be seen at the Western Watchtower. A friggin' Blade. I don't care if she's undercover hiding from the Thalmor. She just shirked her duty; the whole reason for her existence. She's even been visiting dragon mounds and when a real live one shows up she vanishes and leaves YOU to deal with it.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
But he does know you survived an execution, a dragon attack, at least 2 dozen soldiers blocking your escape, five spiders and a cave bear. And 3 wolves. That seems pretty capable to me.

He only knows the DB survived the dragon attack. He doesn't know the details. For all he knows, you could have been outside of Helgen walls when it happened.

I'm saying it's a game. I doubt he would send just one person to do anything if there was any sort of realism.
Look at his character after that particular story advancing dialogue.

He tries to remain Neutral Ulfric won't accept that, he has you broker peace between the two sides, and he lets you catch a Dragon on his porch.

By that point, he pretty much has to cooperate. Even Ulfric did.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
Delphine has Balgruuf beat as a douche. She's right there when Irileth comes yelling at Farengar that a dragon was seen and what does she do? Walk out. She's nowhere to be seen at the Western Watchtower. A friggin' Blade. I don't care if she's undercover hiding from the Thalmor. She just shirked her duty; the whole reason for her existence. She's even been visiting dragon mounds and when a real live one shows up she vanishes and leaves YOU to deal with it.

Agreed. She's a paranoid b1tch.

ShangTsung

ag
First time you meet him, he asks you to journey into a cave full of draugr, and retrieve a Dragonstone (which turns out to be useless).

At that point in the game, most players aren't even wearing armor, otherwise their armor is the sh1ttiest kind you can acquire.

THEN he asks you to kill a DRAGON. What the hell.

Throughout the game, he shows little respect to your Dragonborn character.

He's also a douche, because it shouldn't take a fkn Dragon to send guards to Riverwood. Considering all the witches, necromancers, vampires, and other sh1t creeping around... he should have sent the guards looong ago.

He's a douche.
he is.. thats why its a non-guilty pleasure for me everytime i rush into whiterun with the stormcloaks to take his beloved city.. that look on his face when he see's you standing beside Galmor is PRICELESS! :D

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Somehow I do agree with the OP but beside all of the above, the Jarl who really reward the dragonborn for helping him, is the one in Raven Rock. He gives you a house for free and 10k on the top of that for helping to avoid his assassination.
We helped Balgruf with the Dragon attacking but still he only grants us to buy a house and to become a thane ... but he does continue treating the dragonborn kind of bad. The best Jarl after the one in Raven Rock in my opinion, is the lady in Solitude. She is kind of sweet and ask you nicely whatever she needs from you. ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts