• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Legacee

Was anyone else really disappointed with the College of Winterhold ending? I really wanted to do more as an arch-mage not just prance around in sexy robes.

Shyrith

Ebonhawk
What I wanted was for there to be a quest to retrieve or kill someone, that would make you swim deep underwater to go into the ruins of the other half of Winterhold.

I was really counting on that one my first character when I found a necklace with water breathing, and then hearing that more than half of what Winterhold used to be was under water.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dallas-Arbiter

What my problem was with the College quests is you don't really need to know any magic, one spell to get in, a lesser ward, a fire spell, and I think that's about it.

I want to be able to open all the locked cabinets in the library and read all the books.

Saozig

Hippy
I love the Arch-Mage quarters. One of my fav "player houses" in the game. But yeah, it's weird that you don't have to be a certain level at any school of magic to get it. It's just "The Arch-Mage is dead! Long live the Arch-Mage!"

There should be a intermediary quest--you get some status for saving the college and cred for killing the bleeping a-hole Ancano. Perhaps like you CAN be the arch-mage once you are proficient enough as a mage after you have completed the main quest line. So then, to get the arch-mage position, you have to train in one school of magic with the appropriate wizard at the college and when you meet the requirement you are rewarded the position. Or you can pass and just be satisfied with killing that bleeping a-hole Ancano.

I really hate Ancano, in case you didn't notice. I've mastered the fine art of killing the S.O.B.--there should be an achievement for that, like "20 points--Master Ancano Killer".

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
It's safe to say that every ending of each saga was highly disappointing, not just the college of Winterhold. The civil war = disappointing. The main story where you have to defeat Alduin = Highly disappointing. I would think that since you saved the world from the world eater that their would be a huge party waiting for you after you return. But no it's like a another boring day... and people (other than the guards) go on with their regular day without acknowledging you of what you did . Such arrogance and an ungrateful bastards. I should've took the advice of the greybeards, and let mother nature take her course. After all I had no actual reason to go Alduin... he did saved me from the Imperial legion.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Was anyone else really disappointed with the College of Winterhold ending? I really wanted to do more as an arch-mage not just prance around in sexy robes.

What's wrong with prancing around in sexy robes?

Phantasm

Don't feed the Yao Guai!
It was okay, but the whole Arch-mages quarters is really annoying to me as a 'prize'. Since I'm on the xbox it takes forever to load and there's a lot of things lying around everywhere, I just prefer the other houses that don't take so many loading screens to get to. But I guess that's just me being lazy. The college saga was also definitely the most boring for me, as, has already been said, the fact that you barely need any skills or magic to get through it at all. How can I be an Arch-Mage when I only really know how to cast 3-4 spells? Now that I've completed it, all of the guards just constantly go on about the winter hold college, they don't even talk about anything else any more. All respect = lost. They could have done a lot more with it imo, in terms of learning new spells, drama, etc.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I got through that entire questline with a sword. The only magic I did...well, I became quite adept at Restoration....and enchanting too, that counts doesn't it?

Why can't we create our own spells like we could in Oblivion? I was really looking forward to that being expanded on in Skyrim. I mean, it wasn't fabulous in ES4, but it's more than we got now....maybe we should add that to the list in the "what we wanna see in future DLCs" list...

Africanman08

Something they should have incorporated was daily classes to learn new spells instead of having to buy them, like a true college of learning, not to mention to be able to have Mage duels!

It might sound like Harry potter, but were talking about a college here, not high school haha!

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
yes its stupid u can become arch mage when u have low level spells maybe u shouldnt be alowed to become arch mage untill any 2 magic skills are 80 plus. magic is a joke in skyrim it was better in oblivion i think. i use destruction spells and i usually stick to sparks because the higher level destruction spells are plopse

KattSand

Premium Member
I got through that entire questline with a sword. The only magic I did...well, I became quite adept at Restoration....and enchanting too, that counts doesn't it?

Why can't we create our own spells like we could in Oblivion? I was really looking forward to that being expanded on in Skyrim. I mean, it wasn't fabulous in ES4, but it's more than we got now....maybe we should add that to the list in the "what we wanna see in future DLCs" list...
On my first character, I NEVER used magic (except for the few times during the questline when it was required to use some novice level spell), I played as a nord tank basically and ended up with the college by accident, and before I knew it, I had been made the new arch-mage....Dafuq? It just felt so wrong.

Maybe each of the quests should only become available at a specific level of magic ability. This approach is already true for some other types of quest (Sanguine Rose, Mehrunes Dagger) so it doesn't add any new game mechanics. To add to the story line, I would like to have a 'learning' component to the College, as others have suggested. At the completion of each task, one of the faculty would train you ten levels in one area of magic free of charge. By the time you complete the final step, you would at least have become moderately competent in all areas of magic, something I would expect of the Archmage.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
On my first character, I NEVER used magic (except for the few times during the questline when it was required to use some novice level spell), I played as a nord tank basically and ended up with the college by accident, and before I knew it, I had been made the new arch-mage....Dafuq? It just felt so wrong.
Yeah, the questlines all find themselves intertwining (sp? It looks wrong...) which with my completionist character I found kinda cool. When you start doing builds, it gets a little annoying though. :p

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Junkie

I agree with Raijin, all of them kinda suck once you've finished. I'm the leader of the thieves guild but I still have underlings sending me on fetch quests? I think what makes the college quest line worst though is what has already been pointed out, you don't really need to use magic. I didn't even have a fire spell strong enough to get in the college , I used a shout.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
What I wanted was for there to be a quest to retrieve or kill someone, that would make you swim deep underwater to go into the ruins of the other half of Winterhold.

I was really counting on that one my first character when I found a necklace with water breathing, and then hearing that more than half of what Winterhold used to be was under water.

Love your idea! Getting back into the college only to find out that Ancano had fled to the collapsed Winterhold with the eye would have been way cooler than just killing him in the Hall of the Elements. A sunken city could've been like a larger half-submerged version of Wolfskull ruins. The enemies could have been arcane abominations and spirits of those who died in the Great Collapse.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
It's safe to say that every ending of each saga was highly disappointing, not just the college of Winterhold. The civil war = disappointing. The main story where you have to defeat Alduin = Highly disappointing. I would think that since you saved the world from the world eater that their would be a huge party waiting for you after you return. But no it's like a another boring day... and people (other than the guards) go on with their regular day without acknowledging you of what you did . Such arrogance and an ungrateful bastards. I should've took the advice of the greybeards, and let mother nature take her course. After all I had no actual reason to go Alduin... he did saved me from the Imperial legion.

Ok, no, the main quest's ending was epic, what with the dragon fly around salute and all. I could understand if you wanted some gear or unique dragonborn gear... I did too. But with the amount of resources that it took to make Sovengard I can't be anything but amazed. I only wish that the area was available to travel to and do 5-7ish quests in after the MQ.

Honestly, at risk of sounding like a troll, is there anything that wasn't ultimately disappointing about Skyrim? I mean it wasn't all bad, and I'm not a hater, but really once you get used to the beautiful landscape and the dual wielding has lost its glamour this game wasn't all that. I haven't played any of the add-on's tho so maybe there's hope? Idk... I was that guy who checked the internet every single day for 5 years to see if TES 5 had been announced yet. Maybe I set myself up for disappointment.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts