How we can talk about Hitler without getting banned for it...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Well, i think Rayven did an amiable job, but still i would do some things different in the future. The thread should remain open, up until the point where it gets too off topic like happened here. Also, Nordbladewarrior (or anyone else) should be allowed to post whatever he wants, as long as it doesn't insult. I don't care who the post insults, be it an individual or a race, but i would certainly have permabanned Nordbladewarrior/Nordicvampire after the little insult rampage he did on page 4-5.

Omega Dragon

I keep getting reports about this thread.

So I've been thinking about my approach to it. I agree with Omega Dragon above wherein just by deleting content doesn't make the sentiment disappear. I have deleted content before because of reports and I will continue to do so. Recently, I deleted someone's sig image that portrayed a line of "mugshots" of battered women.

I am also a very strong proponent of freedom of speech. In my own home, no topic is taboo. No language is forbidden. Yes, even for my 11 year old child. However, if I am writing a paper for school, I take the audience and school's criteria into consideration when I write. I do not consider this an affront to my rights of free speech. I consider it an exercise in following directions.

Here on the forums, I try to foster as much free speech as I can within the parameters of our terms of use. I do consider it my job to make sue no one feels like they are being stalked or harassed. I take it very seriously when I receive reports where the reporter feels threatened in some way.

I also take it very seriously when content crosses a line that could cause potential legal issues for the site. Engaging in outright hate speech is one of those fine lines where different jurisdictions are handling such content in different ways. I am a strong proponent of free speech, but I am an equally strong proponent of taking responsibility for your words and actions. There are consequences on this forum for engaging in certain types of speech. People can say what they want in the end, but they must be prepared to accept the consequences offered by the terms which includes deletion of material considered wantonly offensive, warning points and banning.

This thread has gotten well away from the original topic, and that is the justification for one of the reports at the moment. So while we're all here receiving alerts, I would like to solicit your opinions on handling threads like this in the future.

I usually am not one to advise the site-owner or his moderating panel, but since it has been firmly solicited, here's what I'd advise: leave it open for now & just move it to the Lobby. I don't even know if it's possible, but if there is a way - just block reports about the original post and mention to the persons responsible for said reports that you're already monitoring the thread.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Personally, I don't believe in editing posts. Either delete the post entirely, or leave it alone. By editing the post, you are changing what the poster appears to be saying. This is worse than censorship.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I don't believe in editing posts. Either delete the post entirely, or leave it alone. By editing the post, you are changing what the poster appears to be saying. This is worse than censorship.

Ordinarily, I'd agree. And if this were my own private forum, it might even be true. I've had to edit for content before, though on this forum, it's generally to add comments about spoilers to follow. And I've never made an edit surreptitiously. Nor did I in this thread. I think I managed to make it very clear what the original poster said through the words I chose as substitution.

I think backhanded unsigned editing is total BS.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I usually am not one to advise the site-owner or his moderating panel, but since it has been firmly solicited, here's what I'd advise: leave it open for now & just move it to the Lobby. I don't even know if it's possible, but if there is a way - just block reports about the original post and mention to the persons responsible for said reports that you're already monitoring the thread.

I think moving this to the lobby is a great idea. I do not have the ability to block reports on a certain thread or post, however. Also, moving this to the lobby will decrease all your post counts because lobby threads don't count toward that. I mention this in the spirit of full disclosure for those of you who watch your posts counts carefully.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, i think Rayven did an amiable job, but still i would do some things different in the future. The thread should remain open, up until the point where it gets too off topic like happened here. Also, Nordbladewarrior (or anyone else) should be allowed to post whatever he wants, as long as it doesn't insult. I don't care who the post insults, be it an individual or a race, but i would certainly have permabanned Nordbladewarrior/Nordicvampire after the little insult rampage he did on page 4-5.

Well I have sometimes closed threads that went wantonly off-topic. And it is extraordinarily rare that I ever actually post other than to say something has been moved. I felt moved to specifically address this thread inside the thread, however.

I also don't generally permaban on a first offense. There are specialized cases where I do, but I have never issued that level of punishment on a first offense for a racial slur. I did not feel this member met the criteria I have for an automatic and permanent ban.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
I think I managed to make it very clear what the original poster said through the words I chose as substitution.

It's still putting words in someone's mouth. I guess I'm a purist when it comes to speech, but like you said, It's not our board. I do appreciate the low key modding though. :)

I don't mean a user should be permabanned for one of these posts, but if the user in question keeps doing the same thing after being moderated, should be permabanned.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I don't mean a user should be permabanned for one of these posts, but if the user in question keeps doing the same thing after being moderated, should be permabanned.

If this was a second or third offense, the permaban would be in play. The original poster had made several consecutive racially offensive posts which I then treated as one "incident". And despite many people's insistance that this person has done this in multiple accounts, since I cannot verify this, I cannot punish this as a "recurrence".

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I keep getting reports about this thread.

So I've been thinking about my approach to it. I agree with Omega Dragon above wherein just by deleting content doesn't make the sentiment disappear. I have deleted content before because of reports and I will continue to do so. Recently, I deleted someone's sig image that portrayed a line of "mugshots" of battered women.

I am also a very strong proponent of freedom of speech. In my own home, no topic is taboo. No language is forbidden. Yes, even for my 11 year old child. However, if I am writing a paper for school, I take the audience and school's criteria into consideration when I write. I do not consider this an affront to my rights of free speech. I consider it an exercise in following directions.

Here on the forums, I try to foster as much free speech as I can within the parameters of our terms of use. I do consider it my job to make sue no one feels like they are being stalked or harassed. I take it very seriously when I receive reports where the reporter feels threatened in some way.

I also take it very seriously when content crosses a line that could cause potential legal issues for the site. Engaging in outright hate speech is one of those fine lines where different jurisdictions are handling such content in different ways. I am a strong proponent of free speech, but I am an equally strong proponent of taking responsibility for your words and actions. There are consequences on this forum for engaging in certain types of speech. People can say what they want in the end, but they must be prepared to accept the consequences offered by the terms which includes deletion of material considered wantonly offensive, warning points and banning.

This thread has gotten well away from the original topic, and that is the justification for one of the reports at the moment. So while we're all here receiving alerts, I would like to solicit your opinions on handling threads like this in the future.

Freedom does not equal justification. Whether or not racist comments and/or hate speech are allowed, that doesn't mean you can flap your gums. This is clearly something that Nordbladewarrior does not understand, and I doubt he ever will.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

Tyrone

Paarthunax is the Dragon version of Hitler and every other mass murdering Dictator.. What would you do if Hitler was still alive but "turned good"? Even Paarthunax says it himself that " its wise not to trust me". You are Dragonborn sent by the Gods to destroy those menaces of the face of Nirn. If Hitler was alive and turned "good " I would have no problems killing him.. think of all the dying scared starving kids that hitler killed.. Hitler is Paarthunax exept parthunax killed more people. You were sent to destroy them not to sit around and preach love like the Greybeards do tge Greybeards wanted the world to end and be "reborn" lol the greybeards are a joke they and even Ulfric knew they were out therenordbla

I just killed Paarthunax on my first character to do the Blades quests, not even knowing he had a bunch of baggage or anything. Really, I'm the horrible person...

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
The thing is, if Hitler was still alive (which would be impossible, since he would've died of old age anyway) he would NOT repent whatsoever. He would still be going around ordering the Nazis to capture the jews in order to make the "perfect race" bullplops. Paarthurnax on the other hand, has separated himself from Alduin's rule and completely isolated himself from everyone but the Greybeards on a giant mountain dedicating centuries if not millenias to meditate and repent for his wrong doings in his own ways. I couldn't see Hitler doing that at all if he was alive.

The two are completely different, to compare them is ridiculous.

I'm not advocating this, but if you must compare anyone in skyrim to Hitler and the Nazis, it should be the Thalmor. It would make more sense than to compare Paarthurnax to Hitler

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
The thing is, if Hitler was still alive (which would be impossible, since he would've died of old age anyway) he would NOT repent whatsoever. He would still be going around ordering the Nazis to capture the jews in order to make the "perfect race" bullplops. Paarthurnax on the other hand, has separated himself from Alduin's rule and completely isolated himself from everyone but the Greybeards on a giant mountain dedicating centuries if not millenias to meditate and repent for his wrong doings in his own ways. I couldn't see Hitler doing that at all if he was alive.

The two are completely different, to compare them is ridiculous.

I'm not advocating this, but if you must compare anyone in skyrim to Hitler and the Nazis, it should be the Thalmor. It would make more sense than to compare Paarthurnax to Hitler

We got so caught up in how much of an anti-Semitic idiot Nordicpooplolz is, we forgot how stupid his comparison was in the first place.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
Well I didn't see this thread until like 30 or 40 minutes ago....so yea

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts