How to use sword and shield effectively?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
So i kept getting torn apart by a giant frostbite spider and i got him down by using battle cry.

Thing is do you powerbash and slash or just block and power attack?

AS88

Staff member
Also my dual wield warrior is level 30 with no points in block is it too late to start using a shield?

It's not too late, just start using a shield against lower-level enemies. Let your shield arm take a few hits to boost your skills quickly, especially if you use Restoration or don't mind using a few potions to speed up the process

Mewness

Trans-Neptunian Object
I bash a lot when using a shield. I find it very effective--even works on dragons. Also, the reflexes perk that slows down time when an enemy is power attacking is great.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
Once you get used to it, you end up getting into a rhythm, for me it's Block, Bash, Hack, Slash rinse and repeat. The bash should give you time to get in 2 hits on the enemy, and still give you time to raise your shield, ready to block their next attack. :)

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
I don't always use a shield and sword, but when I do I block their attacks and slash when they stop.

Oh, and I move. Moving is important. Who stands there and let's a Orc Berserker smash away with their war hammer??

So i kept getting torn apart by a giant frostbite spider and i got him down by using battle cry.

Block, Bash, then slash. If given the opportunity (when time is slowed during their power attack, and they have a weapon) power bash, it can disarm them.

Also my dual wield warrior is level 30 with no points in block is it too late to start using a shield?

It's never too late to switch, due to the ability to remove perks in any area and get all perks available.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Captain America said:
Seriously?
captainamerica-nextgen.jpg
:p
You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't use your shield offensively. I often bash more than I slash. If you take the right side perks it becomes a huge part of the melee strategy. You can literally bash someone to death and if you don't you still end up disarming them.

I also use third party view because you can see the enemy's entire body better and they have body language that makes it apparent when they are about to strike which is the best time to upset their timing with a bash and slash.

jarif

its about timing, its okay to run away from a fight because in the end its about planning
I was watching Gophersvids and he was utterly obliterated from a lightning dragon and no matter what he died so he ran away like a coward and cameback but ready than ever

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
So i just use shield bash and normal slash then? until i put a perk in power bash?

Also how do you get those cool sword and shield executions where you spin around and cut their head off, i have the decapitation perk.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I also use third party view because you can see the enemy's entire body better and they have body language that makes it apparent when they are about to strike which is the best time to upset their timing with a bash and slash.

Totally agree with this advice. I just recently discovered the benefit of third-person view; it really does make a difference when blocking/bashing (I can't hit the broad side of a mammoth when using a bow in third-person view however).

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
So i just use shield bash and normal slash then? until i put a perk in power bash?

Yes.

Also how do you get those cool sword and shield executions where you spin around and cut their head off, i have the decapitation perk.

It's random, but the more you use your sword and board in conjunction with each other the better chance of getting those kinds of executions. I found that continuously alternating between shield-bashing and sword-swinging produced the best chance of seeing those specific types of kill-cams.

Spleed

Just bash and slash

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts