How to Improve Your Skyrim Role Playing Experience

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rickysousa

IL Mentore
Tommarrow 11/11/12 will be the one year anniversary of The Elder Scrolls 5; Skyrim. The game we all know and love and play to this very day. So you might be having a few problems with the game if you play on the console, ( because the nexus offers so many amazing mods an features you never get bored) like boredom. So this list of collective strategies will inhance your realism and Role Playing expierience.

1.) No HUD; Go to settings, and you'll see an option "HUD capacity" I was a bit confused at first but after experimenting i learned that is controls the Compass and stat bars and how visible they are. But a sometimes this can be annoying as Location Names will be blocked as well as the notification when a skill increases. But overall its kinda nice, it reminds me of the gameplay trailer when the dragonborn is running through the frozen forest.

2.) Eating and Sleeping; You might think "Fake and Gay! My character doesnt NEED to eat and sleep i just wait till morning" but again this is to inhace your ROLE PLAYING EXPIERIENCE so eat a healthy breakfast and get some goodnight sleep. *Bonus! sleeping increases rate of which your skills increase, i reccommend you sleep right before power leveling your smithing ;)

3.) Being your own Man.... woman....elf...cat, lizard, etc.; Did you ever see a dead guy and say " those are nice boots!" no you didn't so why does your character wear clothes he just took from a bandit in which he just impaled? Try making all of your own weapons and armor, for you and your follower (if you use one) from scratch. And when i say all i mean ALL.

4.) Walking; try walking every now and then instead of fast traveling (but no tour de france's please or cross continental travel, keep it simple)

5.) Background story; develop your characters background to justify why they act the way they do. Maybe your dark elf was criticized by local nords and thats why he joined the legion. Or your khajiit always grew up in the slums and thats why he became a bandit.

Anyway ill be updatin this list in the future if you have any ideas or suggestions lemme know. Alright guys keep calm and Fus on, Peace.

Bruynzeel

*ー* SHEW *ー*
yup should be in general section this is about story telling.

Sentinala

Premium Member
Tommarrow 11/11/12 will be the one year anniversary of The Elder Scrolls 5; Skyrim. The game we all know and love and play to this very day. So you might be having a few problems with the game if you play on the console, ( because the nexus offers so many amazing mods an features you never get bored) like boredom. So this list of collective strategies will inhance your realism and Role Playing expierience.

sounds like a good idea, im gonna try some of these things

1.) No HUD; Go to settings, and you'll see an option "HUD capacity" I was a bit confused at first but after experimenting i learned that is controls the Compass and stat bars and how visible they are. But a sometimes this can be annoying as Location Names will be blocked as well as the notification when a skill increases. But overall its kinda nice, it reminds me of the gameplay trailer when the dragonborn is running through the frozen forest.

Thats too much for me :p

2.) Eating and Sleeping; You might think "Fake and Gay! My character doesnt NEED to eat and sleep i just wait till morning" but again this is to inhace your ROLE PLAYING EXPIERIENCE so eat a healthy breakfast and get some goodnight sleep. *Bonus! sleeping increases rate of which your skills increase, i reccommend you sleep right before power leveling your smithing ;)

Are you referring to the lovers buff? I'll try to get some sleep regardless for the RP aspect.

3.) Being your own Man.... woman....elf...cat, lizard, etc.; Did you ever see a dead guy and say " those are nice boots!" no you didn't so why does your character wear clothes he just took from a bandit in which he just impaled? Try making all of your own weapons and armor, for you and your follower (if you use one) from scratch. And when i say all i mean ALL.

i really do need to get into the crafting scene...but i suck at enchanting! i shall still steal nice weapons and armor that i find though hehe

4.) Walking; try walking every now and then instead of fast traveling (but no tour de france's please or cross continental travel, keep it simple)

i can do that within reason

5.) Background story; develop your characters background to justify why they act the way they do. Maybe your dark elf was criticized by local nords and thats why he joined the legion. Or your khajiit always grew up in the slums and thats why he became a bandit.

definitely been wanting to do this.

Anyway ill be updatin this list in the future if you have any ideas or suggestions lemme know. Alright guys keep calm and Fus on, Peace.

yeah these are some great ideas - i'm gonna make a new char to do this, been wanting to for a while!

Rickysousa

IL Mentore
Skyrim Role Play Update

New Character Architype: I can say this with 100% confidence, we have all made a character that we classified as Mage, Warrior, Thief, or Assassin. And while this are the 3 base cultures that all builds come from they are vastly over used. Try making something new and break into the multi word architypes like, Witchhunter, Weapon master, and Bounty Hunter. These builds might only differ from our core builds slightly, they each have specific traits (race aside) that make them special and change the way they accomplish tasks and play the game.

My friend Cristian Lazaro posted a thread about unique class builds here:
Class Builds - Guide | Page 4 | Skyrim Forums
He is very encouraging, asking you post your unique class builds and the only rule is to follow his template to ensure short and sweet posts. I can tell you i post to this thread regularly.

Praying at alters, leaving offerings: I know to some of you this might seem a bit odd or even over dramatic, but i digress it is Role Playing for a reason. How many times have you heard "Ysmir Curse You", "Pray to Stendarr while you can" or "Talos smite you" while in battle? Well it never hurts to have the Divines ( or Daedra if you're into that its cool, bro) on your side. Not to mention it kinda feels cool and deepens the strength of your characters story.

Just after reclaiming Skyrim in the name of the Nords along side Ulfric I took the next carriage home to Windhelm. But before entering the gates i made my way to the shrine of Talos overlooking the city. I left my axe across the alter before asking his blessing and making my way home, for one last time. It was a nice feeling, sort of like cleaning my slate and starting anew.

Alright guys and gals, if you have any of your own ideas dont be shy, if you need me ill be watching mXr videos on youtube. Peace!

Rickysousa

IL Mentore
Skyrim Role Play Update

Dress for the Occasion: Just as you have multiple shirts and multiple pairs of pants, your character should have multiple pairs of armor. Now i dont mean get changed into a new set of armor every day, that's nearly impossible for any character without a home. I mean dress accordingly to where you are going.

If you are going to High Hrothgar you might want to wear furs to keep warm; The pine forest might call for leather or studs to stay light on your feet; and the battlefield always call for good old fashioned steel. I was inspired to use this idea (Which has actually given me quite joy) after reading the book 'The Armorers Challenge'

Sentinala

Premium Member
Skyrim Role Play Update

Dress for the Occasion: Just as you have multiple shirts and multiple pairs of pants, your character should have multiple pairs of armor. Now i dont mean get changed into a new set of armor every day, that's nearly impossible for any character without a home. I mean dress accordingly to where you are going.

If you are going to High Hrothgar you might want to wear furs to keep warm; The pine forest might call for leather or studs to stay light on your feet; and the battlefield always call for good old fashioned steel. I was inspired to use this idea (Which has actually given me quite joy) after reading the book 'The Armorers Challenge'

thats what i like about 81 levels - i can use bow and arrow + sneak, dual wield swords, or burn crap down with my hands.

I did dress up for my wedding :)

Rickysousa

IL Mentore
Whoa! Its been so long since i last updated this thread that its almost Christmas! well anyway here's a RPG Update.

New Races: Yes, I counted. I have made a least 35 different Skyrim characters, I have played the intro stage 35 F#CKING TIMES, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT? SIT THERE AT TAKE IT, THAT'S WHAT.... *ahem* Anyway I realized that ive made around 21 Nords and was DROWNING in boredom because i thought "May'be if i try the exact same class again, it will be more fun" but sadly it wasn't. So i ventured forth into that dusty corner of the race selection menu and picked one i had never done before. And we can all benefit from picking a new race once in a while.

Mismatched Classes: If you read some of the books around Skyrim you might have found some tomes about Argonian Blacksmith's, or Nordic Wizards, or WHATEVER! What I'm trying to say is just because your race is benefited in certain skills doesn't mean you have to pursue them. Try a Khajit Warrior, or a Nord Mage. You never know, you might like it.

and finally...

Genetics: Yeah, "Genetics" for lack of a better word. Remember the Post "Background Story" about developing a story behind your character? Well this is sort of the same thing. May'be you picked an Imperial but their mother/father was a Nord or vice versa. And that's why they want to fight for Stormcloak etc. etc. But please no weird-ass combos like... KHAJIT + ARGONIAN = FURALIGATOR lets maintain SOME sense of realism here.

Urzek

If there's a mod that makes you poop 2-3 times a day please tell me. It would really enhance my role playing experience...

...and satisfy my fetish.

Nein!

Rickysousa

IL Mentore
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand were back!

So its been a while since i updated this thread but to be honest ive already covered almost everything you can do to enhance your RPG experience. But i always find one or two things at a time to upload so here we go.

Time Lapse via the Face Changer: With the release of the Dawnguard DLC we now have the option to edit our character and completely re-do them (Except race and gender) You can visit her in the dockside restaurant in the ragged flagon, she charges 1000 gold per edit and always mocks your appearence no matter WHAT you look like.

So after the war had passed my character had grown old and grew a nice beard. He also got a nasty scar in the siege of Solitude that claimed his eye. His hair color faded and he went back to Markarth to spend his days with his wife and practicing enchanting. But soon later he made a pact with Hircine, God of the Hunt, restoring his his youth, returning his eye, and granting him unmatchable power. In exchange, he would hunt in the name of his lord and kill any who endanger the Huntsmen.

So as you can see the Face Changer Lady opens new doors in the world of roleplaying and will provide you hours of fun when you sabotage a friends character. So go nuts guys.

See you next time, PEACE -Ricky

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts