• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

So, I've only been here a short while and, while I obviously love the subject matter and enjoy a lot of the things I see here, I have already come to realize there seem to be a lot of negative Nellies here. Every time I log on, I see someone being jumped on about their substandard posts, or their having wasted someone's valuable time. What's so hard about just ignoring a post, if you feel it's a stupid question or the person's grammar isn't up to your standards?

Not everyone has the same computer skills. Not everyone is as well-written. If you jump on them for asking a "stupid question," they will simply ask their question elsewhere. It turns what could, and should, be enjoyable recreation into work. No bueno. If you drive newcomers away, things get awfully lonely. No forum is immune to this.

I said it once already, half in jest, but I'm honestly starting to believe there are some people around here who really need girlfriends, STAT.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
So, I've only been here a short while and, while I obviously love the subject matter and enjoy a lot of the things I see here, I have already come to realize there seem to be a lot of negative Nellies here. Every time I log on, I see someone being jumped on about their substandard posts, or their having wasted someone's valuable time. What's so hard about just ignoring a post, if you feel it's a stupid question or the person's grammar isn't up to your standards?

Not everyone has the same computer skills. Not everyone is as well-written. If you jump on them for asking a "stupid question," they will simply ask their question elsewhere. It turns what could, and should, be enjoyable recreation into work. No bueno. If you drive newcomers away, things get awfully lonely. No forum is immune to this.

I said it once already, half in jest, but I'm honestly starting to believe there are some people around here who really need girlfriends, STAT.

Chocolateyoumustbenew.jpg

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
One of the most important lessons in surviving the internet is to see past things like that, by either ignoring certain users' posts, or just their attitude to identify what they were trying to say (if anything). After a long enough time, you just stop caring about that kind of thing and it stops bothering you.

Almost any forum that's been around for anything past 6 months will have people like that, trying to change everyone's attitude across the whole of the internet really won't work, so you gotta just work with it.

Storm777

I said it once already, half in jest, but I'm honestly starting to believe there are some people around here who really need girlfriends, STAT.[/quote]

The real problem is parents aren't aware when their 13 year old kid is on the web being a total douche. When parents start to care, you'll see less douche like activity. Until then, just ignore them.

JoeReese

Oh, I've been around the block once or twice. Think of this less as "OMG I'm offended," and more as "Uh...you might want to plug that leak before you sink."

I personally have no problem pressing the "i" button and moving on to the next post, that is until there aren't anymore posts because so many people have left. This is an FYI, nothing more, but it comes from experience.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Oh, I've been around the block once or twice. Think of this less as "OMG I'm offended," and more as "Uh...you might want to plug that leak before you sink."

I personally have no problem pressing the "i" button and moving on to the next post, that is until there aren't anymore posts because so many people have left. This is an FYI, nothing more, but it comes from experience.

tumblr_mbc2qmJXih1rsrf9wo1_500.gif

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar

I could not for the life of me understand why people think the cure for online assholism is to get a RL girlfriend. In fact If I get a RL girlfriend I would probably be more of an asshole because I would be broke. I would no longer be saving for my next exotic gaming PC, but instead spending it on the girlfriend. No I'm not saying this to belittle having girlfriends. I just have my standards.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I could not for the life of me understand why people think the cure for online assholism is to get a RL girlfriend. In fact If I get a RL girlfriend I would probably be more of an asshole because I would be broke. I would no longer be saving for my next exotic gaming PC, but instead spending it on the girlfriend. No I'm not saying this to belittle having girlfriends. I just have my standards.

I think you've been dating the wrong kinds of girls :)

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
In all honesty this is one of the better forums I've ever been on. I used to be a regular on the Xfire forum and well, lol, lets just say its a disease-ridden troll land. After coming here I think the community is great and its active, which is the most important thing. Its just a breath of fresh air from a lot other forums I check out.

The thing is, I kind of agree with the OP that some people may take the lore/storylines a little too far but then again you are on a site called "skyrimforum.com" and if you belittle people for arguing/debating about lore than clearly you shouldn't have even pressed enter in the address bar in the first place. Even I was a little iffy about it but it is actually interesting to debate about something as trivial as Skyrim may be.

I've never really seen anybody drive a newcomer away, except when that newcomer was a troll or just a COMPLETE dumbass and those people never really belong in a place like this in the first place.

I also love how the forums are set up, dem positive ratings son.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
What's so hard about just ignoring a post, if you feel it's a stupid question or the person's grammar isn't up to your standards?

Oh, if only I could. If only I could.

sticky runes

I haven't noticed that much negativity on these boards, not that I'm on here as often as when i first joined. I've only put one user on ignore, and that guy was a bit of c^nt anyway.

sticky runes

It does piss me off when people slag off somebody's grammar, though. Especially if they know what you are saying, but they chose to totally ignore whatever point you were making so they can take a swipe at your spelling instead. If you are so smart and well educated, then why can't you bloody well pay attention to somebody's question and provide them with the feedback that they are actually asking for, huh??

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I know the feeling all too well. I have to fight it every day.

How do you fight it? I can't resist the urge to virtually punch someone in the face when their intelligence is lacking.

JoeReese

It ain't easy. :| I could be wrong but I think that's human nature, to attack weakness...and we tend to perceive stupidity as weakness.

Just today, I was wondering how someone probably made $60k a year to proof read, only to have them program "better then" into a dialog option. Then/than will probably be the cause of one of my heart attacks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts