How often do you guys use your shouts?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
The more I play Skyrim and rack up the hours, the more I notice... I barely use shouts. The only one I've ever really used somewhat consistently is the Fus Ro Dah one, once I have all three words. I use it because it's funny, plus it's nice if there's five guys beating down at you all at once and you can just get them out of the way and catch a breather.

But I've barely used any of the other shouts, and that's a big part of the game! Maybe because I don't have all three words for most of them and have never really bothered to go get them. Plus there are so many, so I kinda get overwhelmed on which ones to use and stick to (I'm lazy about constantly switching shouts and spells, so I tend to stick to a select few).

Do you guys use the thu'um a lot or no? If so, which one is your favorite shout and why?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Almost never for me, although, it depends on the character.

Someone like my mage Den Moria may use Unrelenting Force in an emergency but almost nothing else.

My spellsword Noir Gris never uses shouts (except for when required for the main questline, of course)

My Barbarian seems obsessed with them. He uses every one he finds, as often as he can. I think it's because he doesn't do magic, alchemy, potions or enchantment.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
I almost never use them. Unrelenting force is the main one. But I use them a lot now because I cheated and got rid of those ridiculous cool off periods. :rolleyes: So now my character will use whirlwind sprint to get next to a bady, use ice form on him, and then fus ro dah him across the room. It's a lot of fun.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
oh and ethereal form is fun to use too. I like to go to the top of the throat of the world use this shout and see how far I can jump. It's also useful in battles and fun too. (although I only use it in battles when I forget I have it equipped). I'll use the shout right when they swing at me. They miss (obviously), I'll shoot them with an icy spear, use the shout again. Lather rinse repeat. Again it's only really fun to use if I'm cheating though.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Almost never used them until I downloaded a mod tat improves every single one of them. I'm talking reduced cooldowns and higher damage without being game-breaking. It's a really cool mod.

ambiiientz

Zero cool down shouts is fun.
It got old for me quick though. I despise "Menu Fighting" so I found myself only using Dragonrend & Marked for Death.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
It got old for me quick though. I despise "Menu Fighting" so I found myself only using Dragonrend & Marked for Death.
yeah. It does get old and annoying to have to keep going to the favorites menu to change shouts (or magic since I'm a mage and I change my magic a lot). But the zero cooldown has helped me really appreciate the shouts more.

Vaga8ond

The more I play Skyrim and rack up the hours, the more I notice... I barely use shouts. The only one I've ever really used somewhat consistently is the Fus Ro Dah one, once I have all three words. I use it because it's funny, plus it's nice if there's five guys beating down at you all at once and you can just get them out of the way and catch a breather.

But I've barely used any of the other shouts, and that's a big part of the game! Maybe because I don't have all three words for most of them and have never really bothered to go get them. Plus there are so many, so I kinda get overwhelmed on which ones to use and stick to (I'm lazy about constantly switching shouts and spells, so I tend to stick to a select few).

Do you guys use the thu'um a lot or no? If so, which one is your favorite shout and why?

I agree. The reason I don't use them very much is for that reason, you need all three words to make the shout worth while. By the time you get the three words you are already at a high level and don't need them anymore.

My favorites are slow time and marked for death.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
When is the best time to wear a striped sweater? All the time!

Though certain shouts have more uses for certain builds, I would say that each shout is pretty well balanced it is just the cooldowns that seem a bit steep. But that is what an Amulet of Talos is for.

I know personally I have 3 or so "favorite" go to shouts per character, but asides from that I prefer to use the levelable skills. which was probably the point. Making shouts your "trump" card since most enemies cannot use it.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Become Ethereal is useful when running around with multiple things shouting at you like Deathlords or whatever. It was particularly helpful in Skuldafn on legend difficulty.

Aura Whisper if especially useful for ranged kills, especially in the dark.

The visual effect with Dragon Aspect is cool, though usually the point I've unlocked all three words, I don't necessarily need the boosts all that much.

Unrelenting Force is fun to use repeatedly on Ancano

Last edited:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Unrelenting force and Dragon Aspect are the only two that any of my characters use regularly. What I find irresistible is using Unrelenting Force on enemies that are on some kind of ledge, bridge, or back to a cliff. Usually, it's bandits or falmers. Since reading the black book which allows the strengthening of Unrelenting Force, I can now vaporize skeletons and bunnies.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
I very rarely take shouts into consideration when I make character builds so they're simply a plus in there. And given my hatred for the fact that I'm inevitably the cheesy savior of the world with my godsforsaken dragon blood, well. I only use a select few in a rather discreet manner.

I must be weird because I use shouts quite often. My most used are Fire Breath, Frost Breath, Ice Form, Drain Life (forget the name - it's the one added by the Dawnguard DLC I think that drains health, stamina and magicka for a set amount of time - I use this one on tougher enemies and it always makes mince meat out of them), and more recently, Soul Tear because I'm trying to get my Conjuration up and the first few times I raised a zombie with it it gave me a few levels. I think it makes combat a lot more fun. And the more powerful ones, like Call of Valor or the two to summon dragons, make good trump cards if you get in a really tough fight. So yeah. I use 'em pretty often. They're part of what makes the game fun for me. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigapact

oh and ethereal form is fun to use too. I like to go to the top of the throat of the world use this shout and see how far I can jump. It's also useful in battles and fun too. (although I only use it in battles when I forget I have it equipped). I'll use the shout right when they swing at me. They miss (obviously), I'll shoot them with an icy spear, use the shout again. Lather rinse repeat. Again it's only really fun to use if I'm cheating though.

Yep, I think the other reason was because of the cooldown period. I was irritated that I had a cool down period and felt very inconvenienced lol. Although I understand why they put it in place.

Now that I have Skyrim for PC, perhaps I shall cheat too.... :rolleyes:

Gigapact

yeah. It does get old and annoying to have to keep going to the favorites menu to change shouts (or magic since I'm a mage and I change my magic a lot). But the zero cooldown has helped me really appreciate the shouts more.

Do you guys not use the numbers 1 through 9 to quick favorite stuff? Switching through spells is a breeze now and I use quite a bit of 'em. Switching through different powers is also now really handy (compared to xbox with only 2 hot keys).

Gigapact

I must be weird because I use shouts quite often. My most used are Fire Breath, Frost Breath, Ice Form, Drain Life (forget the name - it's the one added by the Dawnguard DLC I think that drains health, stamina and magicka for a set amount of time - I use this one on tougher enemies and it always makes mince meat out of them), and more recently, Soul Tear because I'm trying to get my Conjuration up and the first few times I raised a zombie with it it gave me a few levels. I think it makes combat a lot more fun. And the more powerful ones, like Call of Valor or the two to summon dragons, make good trump cards if you get in a really tough fight. So yeah. I use 'em pretty often. They're part of what makes the game fun for me. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are Fire Breath, Frost Breath and Ice Form with all 3 words???? I've only ever gotten one word of each I believe, and always wondered how powerful they would be with all 3 words but never got around to looking for them.

Rhew

The missing snow elf

Do you guys not use the numbers 1 through 9 to quick favorite stuff? Switching through spells is a breeze now and I use quite a bit of 'em. Switching through different powers is also now really handy (compared to xbox with only 2 hot keys).

Ah yeah...... I use an xbox controller to play. I suck at using the keyboard and only use it for my journal mod. Although I might try using the keyboard and mouse on my next game play since Oblivion forces me to play that way

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts