Help with the Dawnguard quests. I have no idea what is going on.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jack abramoff

I became a vampire. First of all I think being a vampire is retarded, you get a huge flame weakness and as a nord it is retarted to get a frost bonus. Anyways, I don't really get the whole vampire thing.
My powers grow if I don't feed, isn't that good? and even if I do feed I can't get rid of the Flame weakness.
ANyways, so I have no idea what is going on with these quests, I try to listen to the stories but it makes no sense. Harkon tells me to get two scrolls (I didn't understand why). He tells me to go to Signus (why). Signus tells me. he doesn't have the scroll but he has some document that needs to be transcribed, but then that gives me the elder scroll too. Then signus is not connected to the elder scrolls quest anymore.
Also, I killed Duhvenir before he gave me his quest, so what am I supposed to do. Can I add him in the console.

I'll do my best to shed a little light on a few things. Yes, as a vampire lord you'll gain new powers the longer you go without feeding, but at the same time the longer you go without feeding the greater your weakness to fire. On the plus side as your weakness to fire increases so does your resistance to frost. For more information on the vampire lord check this out http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Vampire_Lord. If you want to neutralize your flame weakness there are multiple ways, mainly through enchanting and the alteration perk tree. Dunmer also have a natural resistance to fire so there's that if you're a Dark Elf. The reason for gathering the elder scrolls is to bring about the Tyranny of the Sun prophecy, blocking out the sun and removing the vampire's sun weakness. Necessary for this is Auriel's Bow, whose location can only be found with the use of the three scrolls. Signus is the master authority on elder scrolls so that's why you're sent to him, and the "document" you're talking about is the Lexicon, a Dwarven artifact that will allow him to read the same elder scroll you just found without going blind. I hope you transcribed the Lexicon like he asked because that'll allow you to continue his quest which happens to be a Daedric Quest. As for Durnehviir I'm not sure what you're talking about, sorry. I know you're supposed to fight him once in the Soul Cairn, are you saying you attacked him a second time?

Jack abramoff

Wow that was really helpful. Yeah I didn't understand why those 3 elder scrolls led to the auriel's bow, and I really did not understand the 5 Water collection sites either, where was I travelling to, I thought i was in a different world. Anyways, yes that is a little helpful. But why isn't Signus interested in the bow, wouldn't he be. And he doesn't have the scroll I have them, he just has the lexicon. Anyways I was confused why there were two different uses for this scroll, signus wants it for one thing and Harkon wants it for another.
And anyways so I found the bow, and now I am able to blot out the sun, that makes no sense, I'm using it for the exact same reason he did. Also, he didn't have to kill Valerica or Serana I just dipped the arrow in blood and she didn't die..it was really wierd.
ANyways, yeah wow that was great you answered my question.
I got the Duvenir thing, yeah when you leave the boneyard after you beat him he sits outside and starts talking to you but Valerica told me he comes back to kill so I killed him and he just died. So i consoled commanded him back in. and it worked.
Anyways, yeah did you see that thread on reddit on the main objectives of skyrim http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1jmprv/my_current_problem_with_skyrim/ on how its basically never endless meandering missions.
I mean this is my first elder scrolls game, so Im not adapted to it, but I did feel that way. I think thats how I just stopped listening to this Blotout the sun quest. they're saying its different from the other games?

Anyways yeah, I don't really like the vampireness, i never use it it is kind of retarded. I am a nord so I already have frost resistance and the flame weakness destroys me. Why do my "vampire powers" grow as I don't feed, wouldn't they get worse, eh whatever.

So yeah I'm enjoying this game. Another question, am I playing it wrong. I mean there are sometimes I die like 20 times for a simple fight like a random animal, a random semi-boss, and there are others (less often) where I go through. Am I fighting wrong. its hard for me to alt + w + hit at the same time, so i end up getting into "your turn, my turn" fights. I also basically use a lot my staff of paralysis and sanguine rose, is that bad.

Anyways, thanks for answering me.

Wow that was really helpful. Yeah I didn't understand why those 3 elder scrolls led to the auriel's bow, and I really did not understand the 5 Water collection sites either, where was I travelling to, I thought i was in a different world. Anyways, yes that is a little helpful. But why isn't Signus interested in the bow, wouldn't he be. And he doesn't have the scroll I have them, he just has the lexicon. Anyways I was confused why there were two different uses for this scroll, signus wants it for one thing and Harkon wants it for another.
And anyways so I found the bow, and now I am able to blot out the sun, that makes no sense, I'm using it for the exact same reason he did. Also, he didn't have to kill Valerica or Serana I just dipped the arrow in blood and she didn't die..it was really wierd.
I got the Duvenir thing, yeah when you leave the boneyard after you beat him he sits outside and starts talking to you but Valerica told me he comes back to kill so I killed him and he just died. So i consoled commanded him back in. and it worked.
Anyways, yeah did you see that thread on reddit on the main objectives of skyrim http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1jmprv/my_current_problem_with_skyrim/ on how its basically never endless meandering missions.
I mean this is my first elder scrolls game, so Im not adapted to it, but I did feel that way. I think thats how I just stopped listening to this Blotout the sun quest. they're saying its different from the other games?

Anyways yeah, I don't really like the vampireness, i never use it it is kind of retarded. I am a nord so I already have frost resistance and the flame weakness destroys me. Why do my "vampire powers" grow as I don't feed, wouldn't they get worse, eh whatever.

So yeah I'm enjoying this game. Another question, am I playing it wrong. I mean there are sometimes I die like 20 times for a simple fight like a random animal, a random semi-boss, and there are others (less often) where I go through. Am I fighting wrong. its hard for me to alt + w + hit at the same time, so i end up getting into "your turn, my turn" fights. I also basically use a lot my staff of paralysis and sanguine rose, is that bad.

Hey no problem, I enjoy helping people out. Now about Signus and the bow, I don't think he even knows it exists. And if he does he's much more interested in opening the giant Dwemer lockbox that's in his outpost, something he needs the Elder Scroll for. As for the lexicon, think of it as you made a readable copy of the elder scroll; he was able to read the scroll with the Lexicon without going blind and you were able to keep the actual scroll for yourself. As for why there are two different uses for a single scroll (technically there's three but you'll find out later in the main quest, I won't spoil it) Elder Scrolls are incredibly powerful objects that can do a lot of things besides being used for prophecy. Exactly what else they can do and how they do it, I'm honestly not sure. As for the whole Bloodcursed arrows thing, I think killing Serana and using her blood would have blocked out the sun permanently, while what you're doing only does it for a limited period of time. Anyway I'm glad you're enjoying the game, as for why you're dying so much I can't say. I'm a console player and have no experience playing on the pc, sorry about that. There's nothing wrong with using staves a lot, in fact there are plenty of character builds out there who make staves a big part of their arsenal. Tools are meant to be used, don't worry about it. I hope someone's able to help you with your combat problem though, until then enjoy Skyrim :)

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member

Well, I need to know a bit more about how you fight, your weapons, your armour, what you're fighting, and all that before I can help you with that.

As for vampires, the longer they go without blood, the more they crave it. They get stronger so that they can more easily obtain blood the next time they go for it, and I imagine it would taste better if you were starved of it.(basically)

And if you don't want to be a vampire, look up how to cure it and get it cured. It is extremely OP, and the negatives of it can be easily nullified. A nord's resistance to frost is not at the cap, so you can still take quite a bit of damage from it. However, as a vampire it maxes out your resistance to frost, making you as close to immune to it as the game allows. As for fire weakness, well that's already been explained by Sauron.

Jack abramoff

Well, I need to know a bit more about how you fight, your weapons, your armour, what you're fighting, and all that before I can help you with that.

As for vampires, the longer they go without blood, the more they crave it. They get stronger so that they can more easily obtain blood the next time they go for it, and I imagine it would taste better if you were starved of it.(basically)

And if you don't want to be a vampire, look up how to cure it and get it cured. It is extremely OP, and the negatives of it can be easily nullified. A nord's resistance to frost is not at the cap, so you can still take quite a bit of damage from it. However, as a vampire it maxes out your resistance to frost, making you as close to immune to it as the game allows. As for fire weakness, well that's already been explained by Sauron.

ME-
You think I should keep Vampire, its so annoying? Yes I did get more flame resistance, but what makes it good, the attacks suck and so forth, I got rid of it, please tell me why you thought it was so good.

MY weapons and armor system is.
First of all I have serana following me, and sometimes I just die constantly, I think its cuz my computer is a little slow during fighting.
ANyways, I just use Ebony Mail, Ebony gaunltes (two handed 19% increase). Now ebony boots of flame resistance, Necklace of dwindling fire, necklace of resist frost, ring of minor wielding (15%) ring of major sure grip (25% two handed increase) Nightinggale gloves (20% one handed increase). Dwarven sword of devouring (absorb 15 pts of health) Ebony Battleaxe (18 pts of flame damage) I also have mace of malag bal for soul capturing. I have zephyr with circlet of archery, gauntles of the old gods (15% and 20% bow damage). Staffs (sanguine rose and staff of paralysis).
SO basically when I feel like it I just staff of paralysis and sanguine rose against bosses. Frost trolls and bears, Same thing, staff of paralysis. Dragons, Sanguine rose and two handed. When there are a lot of people I don't feel like fighting, I sanguine rose and let Serana go on.
That's basically it. Against falmer, I dwarven sword of devouring and ebony sheild, so that's basically it. I mean vampire really>

Thanks

Jack abramoff

Hey no problem, I enjoy helping people out. Now about Signus and the bow, I don't think he even knows it exists. And if he does he's much more interested in opening the giant Dwemer lockbox that's in his outpost, something he needs the Elder Scroll for. As for the lexicon, think of it as you made a readable copy of the elder scroll; he was able to read the scroll with the Lexicon without going blind and you were able to keep the actual scroll for yourself. As for why there are two different uses for a single scroll (technically there's three but you'll find out later in the main quest, I won't spoil it) Elder Scrolls are incredibly powerful objects that can do a lot of things besides being used for prophecy. Exactly what else they can do and how they do it, I'm honestly not sure. As for the whole Bloodcursed arrows thing, I think killing Serana and using her blood would have blocked out the sun permanently, while what you're doing only does it for a limited period of time. Anyway I'm glad you're enjoying the game, as for why you're dying so much I can't say. I'm a console player and have no experience playing on the pc, sorry about that. There's nothing wrong with using staves a lot, in fact there are plenty of character builds out there who make staves a big part of their arsenal. Tools are meant to be used, don't worry about it. I hope someone's able to help you with your combat problem though, until then enjoy Skyrimn:)

I don't like how this thing copies and pastes all the responses. ANyways sorry, I use my other email for this I don't see it often.
Thanks, anyways, Which scroll did I read in the glade, because i honestly did not pay attention to it at all, and now when I'm in the open, I can open those scrolls and something flashes, is that right?

Jack abramoff

Hey no problem, I enjoy helping people out. Now about Signus and the bow, I don't think he even knows it exists. And if he does he's much more interested in opening the giant Dwemer lockbox that's in his outpost, something he needs the Elder Scroll for. As for the lexicon, think of it as you made a readable copy of the elder scroll; he was able to read the scroll with the Lexicon without going blind and you were able to keep the actual scroll for yourself. As for why there are two different uses for a single scroll (technically there's three but you'll find out later in the main quest, I won't spoil it) Elder Scrolls are incredibly powerful objects that can do a lot of things besides being used for prophecy. Exactly what else they can do and how they do it, I'm honestly not sure. As for the whole Bloodcursed arrows thing, I think killing Serana and using her blood would have blocked out the sun permanently, while what you're doing only does it for a limited period of time. Anyway I'm glad you're enjoying the game, as for why you're dying so much I can't say. I'm a console player and have no experience playing on the pc, sorry about that. There's nothing wrong with using staves a lot, in fact there are plenty of character builds out there who make staves a big part of their arsenal. Tools are meant to be used, don't worry about it. I hope someone's able to help you with your combat problem though, until then enjoy Skyrimn:)

Also, Can people steal from my house in Skyrim.

In response to your previous question, you read all three scrolls, one right after the other. And yes if you read them anywhere else you temporarily go blind as a result. Lastly, no people can't steal from your house so feel free to put anything you want to keep but don't feel like carrying inside.

Jack abramoff

In response to your previous question, you read all three scrolls, one right after the other. And yes if you read them anywhere else you temporarily go blind as a result. Lastly, no people can't steal from your house so feel free to put anything you want to keep but don't feel like carrying inside.

Really all three? I think I only used one.

Jack abramoff

Really all three? I think I only used one.

Hey so I've done some more quests and I posted this on reddit so I'll repost it here.

So I don't know if you guys have been seeing my posts, I usually complain about gameplay mechanics, Game design, and other aspects. I have something new to complain about; Story/Lore?

Anyways, so you guys have saw me complain about the worthiness of the game, completing side quests, etc.
I thought I was "putting off" the game by leaving it at the horn of Jurgen Winderfall and this was an anomaly (not what the game designers expected of me), which is like the 6th main quest point, but its reallylike the second mission. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Main_Quest

Apparently, the game designers did do this on purpose, to play the side quests long enough before you do the main quest. What kind of game is this, do the worthless unrelated stuff first before you do the main quest which is at most 5 hours long. I think they meant for the Companions, StormCloaks, Thieves and Dark Brotherhood to be related, atleast that was what was expected, but no they're radial, having nothing to do with each other.

I put it off so much I was doing well, like by doing thieves Guild and other side quests. I feel like theives guild is longer than main quest line.

Anyways, so I was putting it off, putting it off thinking I haven't touched the main quest there must be tons and tons of main missions, the main part of the game, but no instead the "main" part of the game, are the side quests which are not related, its completely mindblowing that this is the best game of 2011, when 70% of the game, isn't a game, but a WorldofWarcraft-esque mission catalogue that you can't even show to other people online, like what.

The main mission is so short, its almost absurd, I thought there would be atleast a few weeks of Main Storyline missions after completing some of the sidequests.

Look at my Journal http://imgur.com/gallery/1g2Am/new You can see the last 5 missions I've done are the main storyline, everything else (5 pages) are side quests. And now I'm fighting alduin. Kind of absurd. I don't feel like playing the game with the boss already defeated. And I heard the dragons keep coming even after the storyline is complete.

I might have to revert back before Alduin's wall to just do all the other quests. StormCloaks, Companions, Dark Brotherhood, eh, kind of a wierd game set up where a majority of the game isn't needed. kind of retarded.

Jack abramoff

ME-
You think I should keep Vampire, its so annoying? Yes I did get more flame resistance, but what makes it good, the attacks suck and so forth, I got rid of it, please tell me why you thought it was so good.

MY weapons and armor system is.
First of all I have serana following me, and sometimes I just die constantly, I think its cuz my computer is a little slow during fighting.
ANyways, I just use Ebony Mail, Ebony gaunltes (two handed 19% increase). Now ebony boots of flame resistance, Necklace of dwindling fire, necklace of resist frost, ring of minor wielding (15%) ring of major sure grip (25% two handed increase) Nightinggale gloves (20% one handed increase). Dwarven sword of devouring (absorb 15 pts of health) Ebony Battleaxe (18 pts of flame damage) I also have mace of malag bal for soul capturing. I have zephyr with circlet of archery, gauntles of the old gods (15% and 20% bow damage). Staffs (sanguine rose and staff of paralysis).
SO basically when I feel like it I just staff of paralysis and sanguine rose against bosses. Frost trolls and bears, Same thing, staff of paralysis. Dragons, Sanguine rose and two handed. When there are a lot of people I don't feel like fighting, I sanguine rose and let Serana go on.
That's basically it. Against falmer, I dwarven sword of devouring and ebony sheild, so that's basically it. I mean vampire really>

Thanks

HeyGIldan, I'm talking to you

So I don't know if you guys have been seeing my posts, I usually complain about gameplay mechanics, Game design, and other aspects. I have something new to complain about; Story/Lore?

Anyways, so you guys have saw me complain about the worthiness of the game, completing side quests, etc.
I thought I was "putting off" the game by leaving it at the horn of Jurgen Winderfall, which is like the 6th main quest point, but its reallylike the second mission. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Main_Quest

I put it off so much I was doing well, like by doing thieves Guild and other side quests. I feel like theives guild is longer than main quest line.

Anyways, so I was putting it off, putting it off thinking I haven't touched the main quest there must be tons and tons of main missions, the main part of the game, but no instead the "main" part of the game, are the side quests which are not related, its completely mindblowing that this is the best game of 2011, when 70% of the game, isn't a game, but a WorldofWarcraft-esque mission catalogue that you can't even show to other people online, like what.

The main mission is so short, its almost absurd, I thought there would be atleast a few weeks of Main Storyline missions after completing some of the sidequests.

Look at my Journal http://imgur.com/gallery/1g2Am/new You can see the last 5 missions I've done are the main storyline, everything else (5 pages) are side quests. And now I'm fighting alduin. Kind of absurd. I don't feel like playing the game with the boss already defeated. And I heard the dragons keep coming even after the storyline is complete.

I might have to revert back before Alduin's wall to just do all the other quests. StormCloaks, Companions, Dark Brotherhood, eh, kind of a wierd game set up where a majority of the game isn't needed. kind of retarded.

Dawn

Skyrim isn't designed as a heavy story driven game on rails with a long series of missions chained together that culminates in a battle with a penultimate villain you beat to finish the game.

Skyrim instead is a very large open ended world wrapped in Elder Scrolls lore mixed with light story quests, where one can make a character, then set out to explore the world and participate (or not) in whatever activities and quests one so chooses.

The game is in your journey and exploration of the the world, not in reaching a specific destination.

I agree that the main quest is pretty weak, as is the final fight with Alduin. But there is so much more to Skyrim than that quest line, or any of the quest lines.

As to being the game of the year, I both concur with the title as well as shake my head wondering.

My issues with it being the game of the year though have to do with the ridiculously poor launch quality of the game along with the extremely poor PC port rather than the design of the game itself.

Also there really isn't a lot of competition in this category for very large high production value games each year, much less every couple of years.

So sadly we will probably see more games like this launch with tons of bugs, poorly designed UIs, and bad PC ports given they still sell well and earn game of the year awards.

Anyways, enough ranting.

Skyrim is about exploration and character growth, not about killing a specific villian.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the game and its openness. If not, maybe Skyrim and open world type games aren't your thing - nothing wrong with that.

Jack abramoff

Skyrim isn't designed as a heavy story driven game on rails with a long series of missions chained together that culminates in a battle with a penultimate villain you beat to finish the game.

Skyrim instead is a very large open ended world wrapped in Elder Scrolls lore mixed with light story quests, where one can make a character, then set out to explore the world and participate (or not) in whatever activities and quests one so chooses.

The game is in your journey and exploration of the the world, not in reaching a specific destination.

I agree that the main quest is pretty weak, as is the final fight with Alduin. But there is so much more to Skyrim than that quest line, or any of the quest lines.

As to being the game of the year, I both concur with the title as well as shake my head wondering.

My issues with it being the game of the year though have to do with the ridiculously poor launch quality of the game along with the extremely poor PC port rather than the design of the game itself.

Also there really isn't a lot of competition in this category for very large high production value games each year, much less every couple of years.

So sadly we will probably see more games like this launch with tons of bugs, poorly designed UIs, and bad PC ports given they still sell well and earn game of the year awards.

Anyways, enough ranting.

Skyrim is about exploration and character growth, not about killing a specific villian.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the game and its openness. If not, maybe Skyrim and open world type games aren't your thing - nothing wrong with that.

I hope you can get a notification that I posted if its not a reply, but anyways.

What you said, I did, I did complete all of these side quests completely irrelevant to the main mission, but there has to be some sort of centrist themes, also the bosses are not that fun. I mean the best bosses I have dealt with are probably the three Brothers, that was at least like a real mission, long multi-place mission with a prize at the end, even though the prize sucked. The centurions are kind of cool, but they're easily overpowered. It is true I have Serana and a sanguine rose so i use them a lot, so I might have to let go of Serana.
Anyways, the bosses are not that fun. I was looking for strange creatures that are interesting and unique (think zelda), instead each one is like a Bandit chief, or a High ranking wizard. Whom I just one shot with my sword. I think Zelda beats skyrim in this fashion.

Exploring: All of the features of skyrim are the same, this cave, that cave, etc. oN top of that you can go into a cave missionless, then speak to some random guy, he says go to this cave and its the same cave; should't be that way. I have been to MZulft three times for three different missions.

But what is the point of making the main part of the game, the shortest. I don't plan on playing the game after I finish the main quest line, I may even play Dragon borne before the main quest, so I did a lot of side quests and levelled up fairly (not spamming conjuration and seathing, on top of that not iron dagger smithing. Maybe I should do that, I'm just not into it to do it, you know?)

Anyways, I was awestruck to see the second greybeard quest (GEt the horn) is basically halfway through the main storyline. Like I said, I don't plan on playing it afterwards, that is just retarded. To be honest, it seems like TES games are like half ancient gamers (meaning its one of the original old games from the mid 90's early 2000's, the plops graphics great gameplay era I like to call it) and Critics who applaud it for its technical abilities like big map, open world, side quests.
As my first fantasy rpg, I would much rather play a tightly controlled (open world) with a storyline you adhere to more, than this Massive Book of a game, if I wanted to experience this giant fathom I would read a book, and I don't do that.

What are some good rpg's that I'm tlaking about. Again, I don't really feel like starting out as a lowly prisoner anymore, so this is prob my last rpg, maybe I'll play the Witcher.
Thanks

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts