PC Help stop the crashing

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bigd4450

I have a question that I hope someone might have an answer too. I have loved the game Skyrim since my daughter bought it for me Christmas of 2011. I played what is now called Skyrim LE on a daily basis. It is rather hard for me to know how long I played because my daughter and I shared the game and so the total hours were split.

Eventually, as in most things that involve dragons, my daughter lost interest (I think a song belongs here).* When the "NEW" Skyrim was given away by Bethesda on day one I changed over, (call me a traitor if you will). Since that day I have played over 4500 hours and have gotten up to 3800 saves. Here in lays the problem. I have read that Skyrim has no limit on saves, most talk about 1000 saves. At 3800 the next save crashes my game. I have had the game crash at 3798, 3799, and have made it to 3803, but, invariably the game will crash. Another bit of information is that I have well over 900 mods and over 650 active at any time, but, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem, really. It seem to be the 3800 number.

So the question would be, has anyone else had the problem? Does anyone know a work around? Most would say "start a new game for crying out loud" I just don't want to lose my character. She took me weeks to get her just right, the persona I have honed in her over the years, just don't want to lose it... Help.

*Puff the Magic Dragon, come-on I'm an old guy.

Reactions: Sah

Eaglespirit

Skyrim is a large game, which means a lot of saves, I once read you should always delete early saves to allow room as you go along in your game and to help stop the OKB glitch. I always get rid of old saves to allow room as I continue to save, I also never allow auto -save.

Last edited:
I agree with Eaglespirit. I typically keep about 5 saves in active rotation per character, and the Autosave feature cycles 3 seperatly every time it saves. So for a character I have a total of 8 saves, 5 historical save points and three rotating with Autosave.

When I move on to a new character, I typically dump all but the most recent custom save to keep the most up to date record of that old character.

bigd4450

I agree with Eaglespirit. I typically keep about 5 saves in active rotation per character, and the Autosave feature cycles 3 seperatly every time it saves. So for a character I have a total of 8 saves, 5 historical save points and three rotating with Autosave.

When I move on to a new character, I typically dump all but the most recent custom save to keep the most up to date record of that old character.

bigd4450

Thank you Eaglespirit and StephentheRedguard. I have about 30 saves backed up right now. I don't have all 3800 that takes up a LOT of memory... trust me I know. It seems to be the number 3800 that is the problem. I should explain a little better. When I save to leave the game at or around that magic number the next time I play any time I go through a door or save the game it crashes. Anything that involves a load screen causes a crash. I have to delete about 20 past saves and the game becomes stable again, until I get to about 3800 when it starts to crash again.

Eaglespirit

It is quite possible its a mod problem, there could be a mod conflict.
Have you tried moving your mods around? Mods often cause problems.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts