• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I've had to back track a few times during building because I'd keep getting the freezing. Finally got the house done seemed glitch free until I started moving my wife and worldly goods in and it started glitching again. Have had to save and revert to clean saves and rebuild repeatedly thru this mess.

On the other hand Mom hasn't had any freezing issues with her game. Same xbox, same disk. The only differences are that she never had a follower at her house and she never had her stewart buy any furnishings. Random luck or maybe glitchy stewarts IDK.

Trumbar

Hey everyone. Little issue with Hearthfire: Anyone else having a problem with the game freezing as soon as you enter your home? We reloaded a game from far back enough that it until it stopped freezing, but we were just wondering. The house we built was the one near Falkreath, and we decorated the house ourselves with all three wings. At the same time it started, however, we made Rayya (our steward) a follower for a mission. So we weren't sure what might have caused it: Adding stuff to the house, or making Rayya a follower? Any thoughts? Similar experiences?
ya its doing it to me too, i think its because i download skyrim off from xbox live, and i think Hearthfire is have trouble accepting it

Sheila

I don't want to speak to soon, but since i fired my bard, removed every workbench from the house, and always tell to wait to my follower, no freezing for me. In fact i spent hours in the house, with the kids and stewart running around the house, the pets too.
I hope it stays this way. :p
Altought there was some weird thing, i brought a new outfit for my son - but not for the first time - and when i gave it to him, he put on his underwear instead of the outfit. > >" I instantly loaded my previous save. I think it was because i already gave him a green outfit, but totally forgot about it. Because when i gave him the one i didn't give earlier everything was normal.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
If I have a Steward my game freezes, but if I don't have a Steward the game doesn't freeze.

Bluebaron

I have had freeze up problems with hearthfire as well , the dawnstar home constantly freezes up when the steward and bard are inside with me . I have had to restart the game numerous times because of this . I hope a patch is made to correct this issue . Hearthifire is a awesome addon for skyrim but the gameplay freeze issues are annoying and since I am only able to enjoy it on a limited basis because of my busy work schedule it gets frustrating having to restart the game over and over to the point where I just quit playing it .

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
The best fix for it is.. Don't have a steward.

I never had any freezing issues if I don't have a steward, but once I employ a steward it starts freezing. Besides, there is no great advantage in having a steward anyway.

RadioheadBML

Has anyone had issues buying the Dawnstar house? This is kind of unrelated to freezing, but possibly an issue nonetheless. I was able to buy the Falkreath property and build everything to completion, and bought the Morthal property but the walls are invisible when you're inside. I don't get dialogue to buy the Dawnstar one though.

I am in the Dawnstar house. Fully built all wings. I have been playing fine for a while then all of a sudden whenever I am in my house for a couple minutes the game freezes up and I have to reset my Xbox . Thought it was the disc so I went out and bought a brand new skyrim disc and immediately had the same issues with the new disc. I've cleared my cache, deleted older unused game saves,deleted and reinstalled the DLC, even tried moving my game save to a new external hard drive and playing off that.... still have the same issues. Constantly freezing in my Dawnstar home. It's really annoying I hope a patch comes out soon. For such a small piece of DLC this is a pretty big issue and makes Hearthfire unusable. Thanks Bethesda for anothe bug-filled release!

Chryss

my only problem is I cant put anything in my display cases. is this typical or am I the only one

Custom Ace

Well my game freezes all the time in falkreath. I noticed when my bared spawned it happened so i fired him after multiple atempts of entering but it barely helped. When i have stuff in display cases they most of the time wind up on the floor so anoying does anyone know when the next patch is??????

Grace

I have my house in Morthal completely furnished and built. I can't even play because it freezes in the first 10 seconds, and only when I'm in Windstad Manor. I tried sprinting to the door to get out (lol) and made it one step in front of the door before it freezed. And it isn't just the game, its my entire system. I have to turn off the Xbox manually and restart it, which is kind of not a good thing to do but I was too mad to care. My display cases are also unusable. Oh, and I don't have the option to buy a plot in Falkreath from Nenya or whatever the stewards name is, even though I've been named a Thane there <_< Tried looking for Tekla (the Thane's maid) since apparently you can buy the plot from her, and couldn't find her (broke into the Thane's house to look).

I know it's not my Xbox, because it just started doing this after I downloaded Hearthfire. I can run around Skyrim just fine, and as soon as I walk into Windstad Manor, I freeze completely. I also have (texture?) issues, where I'll move the camera view above the support beams in my greenhouse or trophy room and everything disappears, sometimes except the Deer trophy (without the trophy stand lol). The furnishings are still there, I just can't see them. Similar issues happen in my armory, where my mannequins will take forever to show up. The more stuff I move into my house, the worse the freezing issue gets. I've tried everything to fix this myself. I can't stay on the game long enough to do anything in-game, like fast travel or try to move some things out of the house to see if it makes a difference.

Needless to say, I look forward to some patches to fix these issues so I can play again ;3

Meridian

Hey everyone. Little issue with Hearthfire: Anyone else having a problem with the game freezing as soon as you enter your home? We reloaded a game from far back enough that it until it stopped freezing, but we were just wondering. The house we built was the one near Falkreath, and we decorated the house ourselves with all three wings. At the same time it started, however, we made Rayya (our steward) a follower for a mission. So we weren't sure what might have caused it: Adding stuff to the house, or making Rayya a follower? Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

I just started having this exact issue last night. When I first started playing, I had no issues ever. I had built all 3 houses, fully decked out and furnished, with different followers remaining as stewards, no issues. Not sure if it's relevant or not, but i had Lydia as my steward at Lakeside. Then, I started a new character and downloaded Dawnguard, adopted two kids at my Lakeside manor, left Rayya as the steward and now constantly freezes when I walk through the doors or sometimes if I manage to make it in the house, the game locks up if I have any interaction with the kids. (the girl doesn't seem to freeze the game, but I haven't tried interacting with her yet but anytime the boy talks to me or I try to interact with him, total console freeze) Luckily, I had a previous save game from before I adopted the children (still irked that I have to lose 10 levels of game play) but I'm going to see if it was just the adoption that started this or if it's something else. Also, I'm having issues with some of my weapons coming up missing in Lakeside manor.. I had the Rueful axe on my weapon rack as well as the Falkwreath blade and both have come up missing, however on an earlier save, my Rueful axe was still on the rack so I managed to save that one, but what's the point in collecting weapons and armor if I can't rely on my home being a safe place for my stuff??...anyone else having this problem? Not sure if it's a glitch or if it's possible for thieves to break in and steal weapons and armor that are on display? If anyone can suggest a fix for any of these issues, please let me know... getting highly frustrated at having to reload my game ;( *** by the way.. yes I have already tried clearing my cache.. did not help at all.

A Rabid Ewok

Been having the same problem with lakeview manor. Seems like removing the workbenches in some of the rooms that ive completely furnished has helped. (Possibly related to the glitch where the workbenches reset and list every furnishing?)

Drizzt

Here's what's happening to me....it seems a bit different than what everyone else is saying, but it coincides with Hearthfire, it seems. Built Lakeside with all three wings. I had read about the possibility for massive crashes, but that doesn't usually happen to me. I had been in and out of my house 100 times with no problem...then one time when I entered it froze within a second.

Now here's what I don't understand. Anytime I go through ANY door...inside or out.....I run about a 50/50 chance of it freezing. Anyone else have this happening? Maybe it's related to something else I don't know about. Help? This trash is driving me crazy!

Grace

I have my house in Morthal completely furnished and built. I can't even play because it freezes in the first 10 seconds, and only when I'm in Windstad Manor. I tried sprinting to the door to get out (lol) and made it one step in front of the door before it freezed. And it isn't just the game, its my entire system. I have to turn off the Xbox manually and restart it, which is kind of not a good thing to do but I was too mad to care. My display cases are also unusable. Oh, and I don't have the option to buy a plot in Falkreath from Nenya or whatever the stewards name is, even though I've been named a Thane there <_< Tried looking for Tekla (the Thane's maid) since apparently you can buy the plot from her, and couldn't find her (broke into the Thane's house to look).

I know it's not my Xbox, because it just started doing this after I downloaded Hearthfire. I can run around Skyrim just fine, and as soon as I walk into Windstad Manor, I freeze completely. I also have (texture?) issues, where I'll move the camera view above the support beams in my greenhouse or trophy room and everything disappears, sometimes except the Deer trophy (without the trophy stand lol). The furnishings are still there, I just can't see them. Similar issues happen in my armory, where my mannequins will take forever to show up. The more stuff I move into my house, the worse the freezing issue gets. I've tried everything to fix this myself. I can't stay on the game long enough to do anything in-game, like fast travel or try to move some things out of the house to see if it makes a difference.

Needless to say, I look forward to some patches to fix these issues so I can play again ;3

Update :DD: I stopped freezing in Windstad Manor. I got out of the house and just stayed away from it for awhile, working on Heljarchen Hall. My suspicion is that I furnished Windstad too fast and it couldn't handle all the loading >_< so I took my time furnishing Heljarchen and it has not freezed yet. Display cases are still unusable. Still can't buy a plot in Falkreath.

Tyler778

I've been completely raging the past couple of days due to my crashes. First I was crashing within 10 seconds of entering my house on my level 25 character(23 hours spent). It helped when I removed all bees, butterflies, and other entities from my greenhouse, but that only helped temporarily. Due to this bug I was forced to restart my game. Now I'm level 33 on another character(33 hours spent). I've been spending hours on these forums and other official skyrim forums trying to find out when a patch is coming/how to fix this dreadful issue. I'm sure my feelings on this are shared by many others. So anyone with information on coming patches or for sure ways to fix, please say so. (I'll try the "remove npcs from your house")

draven427

I've read through these posts and my problem is very similar. I installed both the Dawnguard and the Hearthfire DLCs and the game ran without a problem. I purchased the property from the jarl of Dawnstar, built my home, and here is where the problems began. Every time I would try and enter this home at each stage I would CTD. So I loaded a save from before I had even bought the land and tried again. This time I finished the house with all the wings before I tried to enter. But alas the same thing, as soon as I try to go inside I CTD. Then I couldn't even load a save as the game freezes on the main menu screen just as soon as the dragon logo comes up. I have even tried uninstalling all my mods and still had the same thing. Unstalled Hearthfire with my mods still disabled and it still freezes at the main menu screen. Then tried it with my mods enabled but hearthfire disabled, but still no change. I'm at my wits end and ready to just give up trying to even play Skyrim since I can't load or start a new game. Is there some solution I must have missed of is my game just entirely &*^%ed? I run....try to run on PC

bigslice76

Hey everyone. I just signed up to share what I've experienced with this issue and hopefully it helps some of you. I've been playing through the whole freezing issue for a couple weeks now (360). I tried a few things yesterday and was able to play for several hours straight without a single issue or my game freezing once. Here's what I did... First of all I have built all 3 houses with all expansions, but all of my freezing issues were centered around Lakeside Manor in Falkreath. The first thing I did was clean out my cache. I've heard this helps from some people and doesn't help from other people but I did it anyway. Once I loaded my game up, I fast traveled to Lakeside manor. The first thing I did once I got there was to remove every single workbench in the house. I then re-remodeled the entryway BACK to it just being an entryway and NOT a bedroom. I then waited...I did not go inside yet, just waited...for my barb to come outside. Once he was outside, I talked to him and told him that his services were no longer needed. At this point, I took a chance, and finally went inside. I noticed the workbench was back in the entryway, I'm guessing because I had re-remodeled it, and I had the option to add some more containers and whatnot to that room. I did NOT build or add anything else to entryway. I went back outside and once again removed the workbench from that area. After all of these changes, I played for several hours straight with no issues. I moved all of worldly possessions from Markarth into Lakeside Manor, which is exactly what took several hours to complete, so I was constantly in and out of there. I even planted a bunch of stuff in the greenhouse, dressed every single mannequin, and adorned all the weapon/shield racks on the walls. Never froze once. Besides myself, I have my wife (Jenassa), my housecarl (Rayya), and two kids I adopted living there. One of the kids even has a pet mudcrab that wanders around. The ONLY issue I've seen is that sometimes the game has problems loading the mannequins. It either takes a few minutes or it renders them so that their bottom half is in the floor and only their top half is sticking up lol. So hopefully this will help some of you. God knows this issue has been frustrating the crap out of me just as much as it has all of you.

Todd Newcomb

Having the same problem in my Falkreath home. This was my second character build after installing Hearthfire about a month or so ago (we'll not discuss what happened to my first character). Anyway, I had no crash problems with my first character. The house was completely built and furnished (wings were, Kitchen, Alchemy tower and bedrooms). at the time I had no extra people in the house, save for my follower, Faendal.

On my second attempt, I had my follower, Faendal; my steward and housecarl, Rayya; and a bard. The house had an armory, greenhouse and trophy room. I had items on the mannequins (none of which were full), several plaques were adorned and I had a large number of alchemy ingredients, soul gems and smithing materials in knapsacks, chests and bags. the greenhouse was also in full use.

When i first started experiencing crashing, a friend of mine suggested removing the workbenches and it seemed to work fine. a few days later (today), I began experiencing the issue every time I entered the house and usually within 30 to 60 seconds after entering from the outside. Here's what I have tried so far, keep in mind, none of these fixed the problem:

- Cleared game cache
- Cleared system cache
- Left my follower outside while I entered (this actually seemed to work the first time I tried it, but crashed on my second entry to the house)
- Removed my follower completely
- Made Rayya my follower
- Attempted to remove my alchemy items (as this is the largest collection of items I have in a group), made it as far as to get the items in my inventory....then crashed a few seconds later.
- Removed all but my last 10 saves.

Any other suggestion would be helpful.

I really dont want to start this character a third time, but It would appear that this may be my only option. If there isn's a clear fix to this soon, I think I'll just uninstall Hearthfire and chalk up the $5 loss to my lack of proper research before buying.

Zanarkand

Premium Member
Was having this same problem, freezing in my Winstad house. It only started happening when I finally decided to start making furniture for all the empty rooms. I noticed it would freeze upon trying to enter the trophy room. I took the advice of someone that posted above since clearing system and game caches didn't work, and so I removed all the work benches. As far as I can tell, that fixed the problem! So try that if you aren't having any luck with the other suggestions. Just go to your drafting table outside and remove them there.

P.S. here's hoping this solution isn't only temporary like Todd's above. :-/. Still I thought it was worth it to post that its worked for me so far.

P.P.S. I tried to fire my bard Sonir who has a terrible voice, and she won't leave. :p. anyone else have this happening? Thought it might have been part of the freezing, especially with how obnoxious she sometimes sounds while singing. :S

Todd Newcomb

Thanks Zanarkand for the reply,

Unfortunately, that was one of the first things I tried (removing the workbenches) when the crash first occured. (I apologize for having left that step out of my troubleshooting in the original post). And it seemed to have worked for a short time. Since my post, I have restarted a new character and have not built a new house in Falkreath. I am also reluctant to attempt building a house in any of the other 2 areas.

Does anyone know whether or not the new Dragonborn DLC has any bug fixes related to Hearthfire? I have looked around and have found little information regarding any details on bug fixes from this latest DLC.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts