Got Oblivion, and boy you guys were right!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Oh please. People are NEVER peaceful. It's not in our nature. Admittedly genocide and slavery might make you a bit unfriendly, but humans have never been known as the most accepting critters anywhere they live.

Oh please.

tumblr_msw7g8OxqK1sh28k6o1_500.gif

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Oh please. People are NEVER peaceful. It's not in our nature. Admittedly genocide and slavery might make you a bit unfriendly, but humans have never been known as the most accepting critters anywhere they live.

Oh please.

tumblr_msw7g8OxqK1sh28k6o1_500.gif
Apparently an Australian Blond with some of the most wooden acting talents around but who looks good in over the top fake-nordic armor and a hammer fetish?

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Gotta admit that skyrims Dark Brotherhood storyline really really sucks compared to oblivions, make oblivions graphics and mechanics like skyrim and it would be a perfect game. Though I would still pick oblivion over skyrim any day.

And the lockpicking is horrid. Im glad they let us autopick.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I hate lockpicks in Oblivion. Just hate 'em. I can never find them and there are none to buy except few and far between. I have been without them for ages which means I can't get to 90% of the loot!. I so prefer Skyrim's. I can open any lock, no problem and only a minor loss of picks in Skyrim, but can't seem to get the hang of those stupid tumblers in Oblivion.

On the other hand I am a Master @ Sneak at level 13 so I rarely get seen, but nothing else seems to elvel quickly. Oh well. Back to Skyrim for a week.

Oblivion levels slower, yes, and lockpicks are harder to find, but please stick with the game... some things are harder, yes, but it makes it a challenge. I feel like Skyrim gives you everything bu Oblivion makes you work for it. Please keep trying it. :)

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Also, I really do like Oblivion's lockpicking, it's different than anything I've ever seen in a game! It's tricky and quite fun to do and it's so unique from any other game. Skyrim's lockpicking is easier, yes, but it's so much like Fallout's that it makes me feel like it's overused and Oblivion's is so unique

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Out of curiosity, I rolled a Bosmer archer in Oblivion last night. I found the gameplay mechanics to be debilitating.

I exited the sewers and immediately set upon the bandit encampment across the water. The first issue I noticed was the enemy AI. One of the bandits noticed me and gave chase while the others merrily went about their business. I was able to dispatch them with never having to take on more than two. Not game-breaking, but somewhat immersion breaking.

I headed back to the city and sold off my loot (the persuasion mini-game remains a cryptic mystery to me). I headed back out to acquire the ring of waterbreathing (Bethesda. . .c'mon, you rendered the primary trait of Argonians worthless in the opening act. . .). Archery and water is a bit of a gamble so I switched to my knife. Apparently, slaughterfish are slippery little guys because I could rarely hit them with the knife and did little to no damage when doing so (yes, I picked "blade" as one of my skills). I ended up drawing them closer to shore where I could pick them off with arrows. Again, not game-breaking just annoying.

What breaks it for me may seem trivial to many of you. I play Skyrim almost exclusively in 3rd-person mode. I'm not sure why, but it is far better for me that way. Only on important archery or magical shots will I resort to 1st-person. In Oblivion, 3rd-person mode is just about worthless. I'm not even sure why they included it. Movement is wonky and you are forced to only view the back of your character. This is what ruined it for me. I can deal with the limited AI and the odd combat, but no usable 3rd-person view was driving me crazy.

Gonna continue to wait for Skyblivion.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Also, I really do like Oblivion's lockpicking, it's different than anything I've ever seen in a game! It's tricky and quite fun to do and it's so unique from any other game. Skyrim's lockpicking is easier, yes, but it's so much like Fallout's that it makes me feel like it's overused and Oblivion's is so unique

I personally can't stand the lockpicking in Oblivion. It really isn't that hard when you get a feel for it, but I just hate it. So, every time I play Oblivion, I go get the Skeleton Key asap and just autopick everything.

Daelon DuLac

Gotta admit that skyrims Dark Brotherhood storyline really really sucks compared to oblivions, make oblivions graphics and mechanics like skyrim and it would be a perfect game. Though I would still pick oblivion over skyrim any day.

And the lockpicking is horrid. Im glad they let us autopick.
I actually just got a visit from Louis Lechance (I can't remember who I killed, but it was in the Shivering Isles so the DB really does have an amazing intel network.

Daelon DuLac

I hate lockpicks in Oblivion. Just hate 'em. I can never find them and there are none to buy except few and far between. I have been without them for ages which means I can't get to 90% of the loot!. I so prefer Skyrim's. I can open any lock, no problem and only a minor loss of picks in Skyrim, but can't seem to get the hang of those stupid tumblers in Oblivion.

On the other hand I am a Master @ Sneak at level 13 so I rarely get seen, but nothing else seems to elvel quickly. Oh well. Back to Skyrim for a week.

Oblivion levels slower, yes, and lockpicks are harder to find, but please stick with the game... some things are harder, yes, but it makes it a challenge. I feel like Skyrim gives you everything bu Oblivion makes you work for it. Please keep trying it. :)
Don't get me wrong, I'm just complaining. I am enjoying Oblivion, but I'm trying to make this a week on week off sort of thing so I don't get bored. The stories just seem to have more depth.

Daelon DuLac

I kind of like the slower leveling and that there aren't as many skill decisions. I'm just amazed that I'm a Master Sneak already at level 13 but only novice or apprentice on the most of the others (although I think I'm a little higher on blade). I'm not really sure how it works yet and haven't figured out how to recharge items except at smiths, but it's been really cool so far!

Daelon DuLac

I personally can't stand the lockpicking in Oblivion. It really isn't that hard when you get a feel for it, but I just hate it. So, every time I play Oblivion, I go get the Skeleton Key asap and just autopick everything.
Where do I get it? Is it the Grey Fox (or whatever) quest - you know, the one with the newspaper?

Cherry

Where do I get it? Is it the Grey Fox (or whatever) quest - you know, the one with the newspaper?

It's the reward for Nocturnal's quest. More info here

Also, I think it's hilarious that in Skyrim, you need to return the Skeleton Key, or Nocturnal would get angry, your luck would somehow run dry and the Thieves Guild would die out. Whereas in Oblivion, she just gives you the Key!

That's another stupid thing about Skyrim's faction questlines. The Thieves Guild in Skyrim is, basically, an organization founded purely on luck? Like Karliah said "our uncanny luck is what defines our trade" or something like that. Pfft, it's not luck, it's skill that counts for fudges sake! Relying on luck, even if you have a deity on your side sounds like a really unreliable business model if you ask me.

SaveVsBedWet

I actually prefer the Oblivion lock picking style to Skyrim's as it is more challenging. At least where the sp games are concerned.

I hate it in TESO because, despite people laughing at the concept when I bring it up, corpses only seem to ever have one gold each and with the price and fragility of lock picks? I might as well roll up a male character and name him Patrick Bateman with all the killing I'll need to do.

Not sure why that is funny either. Where is this area in TESO that is so rich with lock picks just lying around for Dr. D'Irsei to pick up? Can not find...

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
You can make your own spells in Oblivion. Who needs lockpicks? I just open locks with alteration.

You can do Jedi Mind tricks in Oblivion, that is always fun.

"Give me information." You

"I don't trust you." NPC

Touches with green spell.

"HI THERE :D Here is everything you need to know." NPC

Cherry

DrunkenMage

My characters don't all use Alteration.

I do agree with you on the mind tricks though. A lot of fun.

Daelon DuLac

You can make your own spells in Oblivion. Who needs lockpicks? I just open locks with alteration.

You can do Jedi Mind tricks in Oblivion, that is always fun.

"I don't trust you." NPC

Touches with green spell.

"HI THERE :D Here is everything you need to know." NPC
yeah, yeah Drunken, you're an expert. Sorry, but I've only just started playing it in the last month and I haven't even figured out how weapons skills work. I've haven't a shot in he-double-hockeysticks of figuring out magic yet! I'm still a complete newbie in most things in Skyrim and I've had it for a year now!

Daelon DuLac

Twiffle

I think i will have a return to Oblivion too for a little while, , at least its better than Skyrim when playing with Staffs, imho. Just have to find a nice build, alchemical mage probably.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts