General difficulty

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Petoften

I have a level 6 mage. I had him at one dungeon that wasn't even close to doing, so I left.

I have a dragonborn quest that goes to Red Rock, so I'm there at that temple of Miraak.

I killed a couple cultists, and can kill a draugr, but he comes with a draugr deathlord and a couple more cultists, and it feels harder than it should be.

I'm not quite where in the game to go for the 'right' difficulty and progress I'm not sure how to find places based on difficulty and if it scales.

Petoften

I seem to be nearly at the end of the dungeon, and there are some draugr and a 'gatekeeper'.

My fire spell doesn't seem able to do almost any damage, and the gatekeeper one shots me, don't see how to kill them.

Dragonshout70

Go onto load/save menu, select settings and change to an easier difficulty level. You can always change it back later.

Petoften

That does seem to be a workaround, but I wonder why it seems so off.

I had to go down to novice for the dungeon boss.

Now I have to cross a long map on foot encumbered... they don't make this a pleasant experience.

Dragonshout70

That does seem to be a workaround, but I wonder why it seems so off.

I had to go down to novice for the dungeon boss.

Now I have to cross a long map on foot encumbered... they don't make this a pleasant experience.

Its worth investing in a horse. Does not matter ho much stuff you have, the horse will carry you. Plus, they can climb mountains better than most. There are stronger spells, so it might be worth joining the collage of Winterhold. Talk to Feralda, she will train you 5 levels, for a price.

Petoften

Ah I got a horse, but had decided to leave it at Windhelm for the moment, thinking I couldn't take him on the ship. And can't take him in the dungeon.

I think I did join Winterhold. Thanks, I'll go back and see if they can improve the spells, the ones I have are novice. And now I'm alone, Lydia disappeared.

Petoften

I have a quest to find and use a dragon word. When I got to the area, there was a dragon I killed but Miraak came and took the dragon soul.

Then I got the word, but can't use it because it needs a dragon soul.

So I'm supposed to use the word to free people, but can't and can only kill them. Not sure what to do.

Dragonshout70

I have a quest to find and use a dragon word. When I got to the area, there was a dragon I killed but Miraak came and took the dragon soul.

So I'm supposed to use the word to free people, but can't and can only kill them. Not sure what to do.

To the west, as you see it on the map, there is a shrine. Kill the bad guy, then the lurker that emerges from the ground. A dragon will attack. Save, just in case, then kill the dragon. Its unlikely Mirak will take this dragon soul.

Dragonshout70

To the west, as you see it on the map, there is a shrine. Kill the bad guy, then the lurker that emerges from the ground. A dragon will attack. Save, just in case, then kill the dragon. Its unlikely Mirak will take this dragon soul.

Failing that, go back to Skyrim. Go back to Ustengrad, where you got the horn of Yurgan Windcaller. Activate his tomb, you will get a free dragon soul. (Only happens once).

Petoften

Huh. I wonder if Miraak showing up and taking it always happens, maybe it mattered that I killed the dragon before getting the dragon word.

It seems like a pretty annoying hassle to have to deal with the dragon soul to do this quest, especially when I'm walking encumbered.

I guess I'll check the shrine, I didn't see it on the map before.

Dragonshout70

There are 5 shrines in total. (6 if you include his temple). Mirak will not take every dragon soul when you slay a dragon. It happens randomly. But he will always take the soul of the dragon you slay at the Dwemer city where you get the black book. You may have to go back to Skyrim to get a Dragon soul if you don't have any.
By the way, incase you did'nt know, a ward spell will block oncoming shouts, especally unrelenting force.

Petoften

I don't see the shrine to the west. I'm at windrock, I see Saering's Watch which is cleared, I see Altar of Thrond past the cleared temple.

Petoften

Somehow I didn't realize I already have a dragon soul after I killed the dragon 2 more times and Miraak took it both times.

Petoften

Wow, I went into a dungeon there, and ran into a 'Riekling Courser' carrying a 'Riekling', and on *novice* it's too hard...

Petoften

Got past that, but then there's a 'black book' that gets to a new area and quest with a lurker that's too hard, huh. Might need to just leave.

It doesn't make much sense how I'd be meeting such hard things on novice, but it raises the original question, maybe I shouldn't be in some areas like this?

Petoften

Is there anywhere I can dump my extra stuff other than on the horse when I get it back?

I saw there's a pickpocket skill to carry 100 more but hate to use 3 perks to get it (and have to level pickpocketing to 50).

Petoften

I want to go back to Windhelm and get my horse, but it cost me 500 gold to sail here, and I don't want to have to repay that.

Petoften

I think the black book was gone because it's in my inventory, but not sure how to get back to the place it teleported me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts