Game of Thrones - inspired by Elder Scrolls?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

chelz0r

So I just got into this series, does anyone else think so many things look and feel like they've been ripped from Elder Scrolls games?

I know the show's a few months older than Skyrim so won't be a direct inspiration, but sooo many things look like Oblivion. Anyway, not the only RPG influence but obvious... Good show though...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Absolutely not. The HBO television series is based on the novels and the first novel, A Game of Thrones was published in 1996.

chelz0r

And the first Elder Scrolls game was released in 1994 :)

I didn't mean the plot though, I meant the production. The look and feel of that world reeks of RPGs. They don't have an infinite number of sources for inspiration for an imaginary medieval style world.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Other than the novels themselves. The entire look of RPG worlds is derivative of fantasy novels. If the game developers look to them as a source for inspiration why would it be so hard to conceive that a movie or television production couldn't do the same?

chelz0r

They do. What I'm saying is they all copycat one another visually since that's fully left to imagination with books. And at the moment there are far more RPGs than movies and TV shows that define what that visual style is.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

It all goes back to D&D, no wait, it all goes back to Tolkien, no wait it all goes back to Arthurian legend, no wait it all goes back to Greek mythology... etc

Red5

Certainly has some similarities to the novels, though I would say the inspiration is probably the other way around. I'm halfway through the 4th novel, and have seen more and more that I consider similar.

Caus

I don't care what anyone says ,I've been play Elder Scroll since I was 15 I'm 32 now , Ever time I watch G.O.T come on . I can here the Music from ES and all after that playing in my head. The writing on the map, names of the Kingdoms. None of them are the same but switch them around A bit. Don't get Me wrong I love G.O.T because it reminds me of Skyrim.I would love to see them both do something together

MadamePresident

I've just started reading A Clash of Kings, which is the second book in the series. I started playing Skyrim before I started reading the books and watching series. I can't say who is copying who but I am loving it either way. I'm hooked on the books/show and now when playing Skyrim I see where so much (names and some plots) came from the book series or vice vera. It's possible they copied each other. It has given my gaming experience a new twist that I love so much.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
the only thing in G.O.T that can really be compared to is Skyrim:
Winterhold-Winterfell
Riverwood-Riverrun
Summerset Isles- Summer Isles (I know it's not in Skyrim)
The Reach-The Reach
so on and so forth
But seeing how A Game of Thrones predates skyrim. I doubt Martin ripped off the series. Secondly the comparisons are in names alone. There are no Orcs in Westeros or Elves nor an Empire based loosely on Rome. What we have in the Song of Fire and Ice books is your typical fantasy world. These things happen look at the Lord of the Rings and compare that to the ES series, they at least have Orcs and Elves. (and Sean Bean)

Liliana

I started the GoT series back when I was like 14. I don't think the graphics in elder scrolls games at the time looked anything like what the books described and I still don't. There's no glowing spiky daedric armor in Westeros, no bright green glass weapons, no ppl wearing skin tight red and black leather. The only way to get Skyrim to look anything like GoT is to download a buncha mods. Yeah there's swords and dragons and snowy mountains and the names look similar. But since the first book was published ages ago I think it's more likely ES ripped off some stuff from Martin.

sticky runes

People did actually build castles and wear armour and tunics in the old days, these things weren't just created in fantasy games or movies or novels, they actually existed. It's more like all these fantasy novels/movies/TV shows/RPGs used history books and documentaries for reference.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Don't nearly all medieval-based fantasy series/movies have this same look?
In my opinion, yes, however, a caveat: Game of Thrones is far more authentic in it's look than most Medieval/Fantasy movies. There's dirt, grime, disease, awful living conditions and even bad teeth!

Daelon DuLac

I started the GoT series back when I was like 14. I don't think the graphics in elder scrolls games at the time looked anything like what the books described and I still don't. There's no glowing spiky daedric armor in Westeros, no bright green glass weapons, no ppl wearing skin tight red and black leather. The only way to get Skyrim to look anything like GoT is to download a buncha mods. Yeah there's swords and dragons and snowy mountains and the names look similar. But since the first book was published ages ago I think it's more likely ES ripped off some stuff from Martin.
Ya want skin tight leather, you should go for Terry Goodkind! I always wondered why they never made movies out of that series.

Sean

lost somewhere
I doubt George Martin was into Elder Scrolls Arena, and if anyone was copying, it would be Bethesda.

Game of Thrones is older than most Elder Scrolls games.

Daelon DuLac

No. Game of Thrones had nothing to do with ES.

Actually George R.R. Martin was asked a very similar question a few years back when the books were released as a set (and the series started) while he was at a Sci-Fan-Con and he denied even knowing what ES was.

Apparently his book series is actually vaguely based on English/Scottish/Welsh Medieval history during the 10th-13th century.

Load FuZion

I was responding to the people who said that ES copied GOT because people think that GOT has been a longer series when that was made in 1996 and ES in 1994 plus 6 years of development .

jarif

George R Martin said he just had a image scene of the wolves in his head and just lead it on from there

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts