game breaking bug 15 mins in?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jinsof

hi everyone. just got skyrim this morning for pc windows 7. about 15 mins into the game, the game crashes and i get booted back to my desktop with no error messages or anything. it happens just after the first dragon appears and your given the choice to enter the keep with 2 different men, when i approach either one of the doors into the Keep, a load screen appears for a split second and then the game crashes. i've tried both doors over and over again and the same happens everytime. anyone else get this on PC?

I dont think it's a problem with my pc specs, i've got...

i7 processor
8gb ddr3 ram
2gb ddr3 graphics card

4 or 5 times the system requirements on the box...

i'm really pissed off kuz it seems you HAVE to go through one of the two doors to advance further into the game.

help...

[EDIT] ive restarted my pc and tried again, and sometimes the game crashes on the load screen after i try loading a saved game... i'm guna try re-installing the game to see what happens and post the results back here...

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Does it say not responding? I didn't get this problem but some people seem to be having it, if it's not responding just give it a few minutes and click on the dialogue box.

jinsof

Not responding? you mean in the task manager? i havn't looked. as soon as i walk close to the door the game just closes all together and i'm straight back on my desktop

So it doesn't tell you that there's a problem, no .exe file not working, no notice, just dies on you and puts you on the desktop? Sounds like a bad install so re-installation should work, not heard of that bug anywhere else though.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, so it doesn't even give you an error? That's odd. :/

Try this:
Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sounds > Pick your default sound device then properties. Go to the Advanced tab and make sure the 'Default Format' is set to 44.1khz 16bit.

jinsof

hey again. i've done a re-install and it seems to be working fine...

stand down red alert. thank god for that!

thanks for the speedy replies!!

bradavis

though I don't have the game yet, it's awesome to see how dedicated the people on here ate to helping fellow TES gamers out in dilemmas. It's pretty reassuring to know somebody will responding I post a troubleshoot thread

Wishkah

no game is perfect for everyone, what makes the difference is the support you get from both the company and fellow players... and the Elder Scrolls has the best community in the gaming world

sg1221

I had the crash problem every 15 to 20 minutes and found out it was my
Microsoft Security Essentials virus program. When I went into settings for MSE and
turned off ( Real time protection ) the game never crashed again after over 4 hours
of non stop play.

Achilles_Punks

I wish I had your problems with the game. I Just purchased the game today, and when opened the box up there was no game inside. It was sealed from the manufacturer. I was told by Gamestop that they could not give me another game that I would have to contact Bethesda. I wrote them an email now just wating to see what they say on MONDAY. I will not even get to try the game until they contact me. I will let you know how everything turns out.

jinsof

my worst nightmare; opening the box to a game that i've been waiting to play for ages and there being no disk inside. :sadface:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts