PC Frustrating crossbow glitch (PLEASE HELP!)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Trickster

So I just installed Dawnguard today, and I was really excited about the crossbows that Bethesda added to the game. But, once I came to Fort Dawnguard, my crossbow wasn't working! It pretty much just as if I was unarmed, except the crossbow was attached to my right fist. It was the same with another recruit as well. I've looked everywhere on forums, but it seems no one has the same problem. Also, mounted combat doesn't work either(I know mounted combat is from an update, not Dawnguard). I've tried reinstalling, deactivating mods, searching the internet, but nada. If you have a possible fix, please tell me. Thank you.

Here's what it looks like: Photo Album - Imgur

Edit: I found out how to fix it, and it works. Check this thread. Post was by rowynyew.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Please forgive me for what's likely a dumb question, but do you have bolts in your inventory?

Trickster

Please forgive me for what's likely a dumb question, but do you have bolts in your inventory?

That's fine, I'm just happy that someone's replying. Yes, I do, and I have them equipped. But the problem isn't that it's not shooting, it's that I'm holding it all wrong.

Arcano1881

Master Illusionist
Just an idea, give it to a follower and go into combat, take it off them straight after or during combat, equip it from the trading items screen aswell. Hope it works. Good luck

Trickster

Just an idea, give it to a follower and go into combat, take it off them straight after or during combat, equip it from the trading items screen aswell. Hope it works. Good luck

Well, I tried, but it still doesn't work. Thanks though. But something new happened. One time when I tried to equip it, the game crashed.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Well, I tried, but it still doesn't work. Thanks though. But something new happened. One time when I tried to equip it, the game crashed.
Reinstall the DLC

ronr42

trickster, just so you know your not the only one. my crossbow doesn't work either. i have also surfed the web for answers and found none. i'll keep searching and post here if i find out how to fix it. i have a BIG DUMMY question i'd like to ask. how do you go about uninstalling and re-installing Dawnguard when it's a DLC pack added to Skyrim and does not list separately in the steam library?

Arcano1881

Master Illusionist

ThePlunderererer

YOYOYOYO move your meshes folder out of your data folder while playing dawnguard, itll fix crossbows n horses, when your done hunting vamps n shhhiii, move your meshes folder back into your data folder, If you can specifically identify what in the meshes folder causes this I would surley like to know, because as far as I can tell I can't find it. It also helps to not torrent skyrim, Don't worry your secrets safe with me

Edit: if moving meshes out messes up your face and hair and stuff, use console command showracemenu, make it something default while your playing it, you can always switch it back later.

Edit: Soooooooooooooo the meshes thing worked with my male char, but its not working with my fem char, I think it might be something with Caliente body mod

Edit: Just kidding, I was messing with my oblivion meshes, the meshes thing works with fem cgars too, uhhhh help me pinpoint this thing fellas :)

Trickster

YOYOYOYO move your meshes folder out of your data folder while playing dawnguard, itll fix crossbows n horses, when your done hunting vamps n shhhiii, move your meshes folder back into your data folder, If you can specifically identify what in the meshes folder causes this I would surley like to know, because as far as I can tell I can't find it. It also helps to not torrent skyrim, Don't worry your secrets safe with me

Edit: if moving meshes out messes up your face and hair and stuff, use console command showracemenu, make it something default while your playing it, you can always switch it back later.

Edit: Soooooooooooooo the meshes thing worked with my male char, but its not working with my fem char, I think it might be something with Caliente body mod

Edit: Just kidding, I was messing with my oblivion meshes, the meshes thing works with fem cgars too, uhhhh help me pinpoint this thing fellas :)

Thanks, I'll try it out.

mnmdude21

Thanks, I'll try it out.

err NO, don't do that. You should never follow advice that begins with "YOYOYO".

1. I found what was cause the crossbow to not work in "my" game. The Dance of Death (kill moves mod). If you have the same mod i suggest finding a different Kill Moves mod that works with Dawnguard crossbow animation.

2. If you don't have the Dance of Death mod and it's still not working, i suggest you do what i did. Comb through your Plugins list in Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) if you use that. Or Data files list of mod plugins from Skyrim's start window. Un-checks all your mods first to see if it IS in fact the mods that's causing the crossbow bug. Then turn back on the mods in bunches (i do 30- 50 mods) at a time since i have alot of them.

Good luck, i hope this helps.

rowynyew

I have this same problem; tried turning off mods, didn't help...here is my theory. When i equip the crossbow and sheath it my character holds his arm out like he has a shield up or something, then when i go into ready stance he holds the cb like it is a sword or something and pretends to have a shield on his left arm...i think the glitch is that the game thinks the weapon is a shield instead of a two-handed weapon. Maybe someone who is good with code can fix this? I would think it would be a coding problem, but I don't know anything about it really so I am no help. If anyone wants to give it a look, let me know what you come up with.

ThePlunderererer

err NO, don't do that. You should never follow advice that begins with "YOYOYO".

1. I found what was cause the crossbow to not work in "my" game. The Dance of Death (kill moves mod). If you have the same mod i suggest finding a different Kill Moves mod that works with Dawnguard crossbow animation.

2. If you don't have the Dance of Death mod and it's still not working, i suggest you do what i did. Comb through your Plugins list in Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) if you use that. Or Data files list of mod plugins from Skyrim's start window. Un-checks all your mods first to see if it IS in fact the mods that's causing the crossbow bug. Then turn back on the mods in bunches (i do 30- 50 mods) at a time since i have alot of them.

Hey man... My way works too ;)

Trickster

YES!!! I do have the dance of death mod! THANK YOU! This should work.

Trickster

Nevermind. It doesn't work. I unchecked the dance of death. No change. I'll try your other advice.

Reggie.17

So I had this problem recently and tried all the fixes you all had suggested, for me they didnt work but maybe I wasnt doing something right because I'm not very smart when it comes to sorting out files. I managed to resolve the problem by disabling the Junks Guns mod and the dwemer weapons mod. If anyone has these mods or mods alike, it may be the cause to the problem. I dont know if this is the problem for all dwemer weapons mods, but I hope it helps if this is relevant to a mod you have installed

Forgot to say although it is probably quite obvious: the crossbows are used for quite a lot of weapon mod physics which messes up the physics and behaviour or animations of the crossbow themself which makes them unusable.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts