Five Million People Have Registered for the The Elder Scrolls Online Beta

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shawn Hopkins

The Elder Scrolls Online Director Matt Firor released a new letter today thanking players on the eve of this weekend's final PC/Mac beta stress test. He has a lot of nice things to say, but one piece of info that stands out is that five million players have registered for the The Elder Scrolls Online beta.

"If you’re reading this, you’re probably one of the 5 million people that have registered for the ESO beta, and likely participated in one of our large beta tests. That’s a wonderfully large number of people who have become part of our ESO community, and it continues to grow," Firor wrote.

Now, even though it's probable not everyone who registered actually played or will play in the beta, that's still a massive amount of interest for an MMORPG. What it means for sales, we'll have to wait and see.

Firor also said that player feedback from the beta events has already led to changes in the game, like a less constrained opening sequence.

"While surveys have shown that players really enjoy the game as they progress, particularly after level 10, we heard from some of you that the beginning of the game left you feeling too constrained. The game was originally designed that way so that new players were not overwhelmed, and could learn the game before dealing with more challenging situations. But because ESO is about choice, we made adjustments to those opening hours of the game in response to the beta feedback. After exiting the modified, more streamlined tutorial in Coldharbour, new characters now wake up in the first major city of their respective Alliance as opposed to being forced to go through the starter islands. We’re adjusting the level curve around those cities so that you’ll have plenty to do and discover without running into enemies that are too powerful at the start. If you want to go back and experience these islands (which have been re-leveled to provide a regular content experience) the option is there, but players who prefer can just start exploring the rest of Tamriel," Firor wrote.

See the full letter here.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/14/eso-road-ahead

The Elder Scrolls Online releases to the PC and Mac on April 4, 2014 and to the Xbox One and PS4 in June of 2014.
View the Post on the Blog

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
And? how many of them do you think will even buy the game? and are not just playing because they can? I could wager not even half of them who are playing the beta will buy it

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I can't buy the game. I just don't have the money to pay for the $15,- a month subscription fee. I am sure I will get a lot of awesome content in return - but I can't spend what I don't have. I just can't afford it. Errrrr ( ._.)

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
How many of the beta testers like me couldn't play for the last 10 hours because of being tempted into changing to the European servers and then having to do another 21,000mb download ?

Before the beta I fully intended to buy it although it would seriously hamper the buying and playing of any other games, but now I'm a lot less certain that I will. I'll be waiting to see how the game expands beyond the initial islands.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
(MAJOR POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD)
Here are my 2 Cents I have played 3 Beta's made it all the way into Cyrodiil fought in many alliance wars and brought down many dark anchors and yes all Cyrodiil is is PvP (you cant go anywhere without being killed by an enemy player so a No-Go zone if you dont like PvP) and I explored vast areas of the gameworld in all the alliances with several different races and this is what i have to say... The map is somewhat generic although the countryside is pleasing to look at the map itself seemed like it was randomly placed I have several screenshots that I took of a Spriggan and several different enemy types located not 20 feet from eachother and that is not even the beginning of it, as typical of all MMOs enemies will only chase you in a small area then they will instantly respawn back to where they were standing as if they had never seen you they also will respawn after you kill them in only a matter of minutes, Then you have other players as typical in MMOs you will see other players doing stupid immersion breaking things for instance I encountered several players using ridiculous name's for their characters that helped me remind me that I was playing an MMO not to mention many of these players were doing things like jumping constantly around the place and quite literally running in circles and don't get me started on the horses why they spawn out of thin air when you call them and they vanish into thin air when you dismount them very immersion breaking to say the least when you see it happen a lot and in ESO horses can't swim you are instantly dismounted from them if they enter deep water also you cant swim underwater and you can only interact with 50% of the things you see and if you find the best armour in the game you wont beable to wear it unless you are level 50 which breaks the sense of searching for rare treasure, even in Skyrim if you managed to find daedric armour you could wear it regardless of level in ESO this does not apply it also seems running out of Arrows in ESO does not apply as well.

The Story is Good if unfriendly to lore as it seems by Skyrims time everyone has forgotton about the event called the SoulBurst but the story is nothing to celebrate about it is NOT an original concept at all picture this ( A Madman tears the veil between Oblivion and Mundus after killing the Emperor letting the daedra that they worship romp across Tamriel and in the process gates to Oblivion open up and daedra pour forth) Sounds a lot like Oblivion does it not well it shouldn't because I was talking about ESO, The only difference really is that instead of Mankar Camoran you have Mannimarco Instead of Mehrunes Dagon you have Molag Bal and Instead of Grounded Oblivion gates you have Floating Oblivion Gates in the Sky and yes even in ESO the amulet of the Kings is involved and do please correct me but shouldn't the Imperials be known as Cyro-Nordics or Cyrodillics in the Time period ESO takes place in? didn't they only get the name Imperial when Tiber Septim became Emporer.

Geographically the game is unfriendly to what we have seen before I encountered a massive fissure where magma poured out of in front of the City of Chorrol (yes that nice city in Cyrodiil where weynon Priory is) fissures of that size that circulate half of the town would not close up within a mere 800 years between ESO and Oblivion this was not the Cyrodiil I remember also Why did they add wayshrine teleportation? If people by Skyrim or Oblivons time had Wayshrine teleportation that would have changed a lot of things why did they not at least just add fast travel at least fast travel is more lorefriendly then wayshrine teleportation the only people who should have the power to do that are people such as the Psjiic Order. I went to Mournhold in Morrowind which is seen in the Tribunal DLC for Morrowind and it looked nothing alike The Tribunal Temple was now situated on a massive hill in the middle of the city instead of the more flat ground we see in Tribunal and correct me if I am wrong but is Mournhold not a smaller city within a larger city known as Almalexia? named after the goddess of the tribunal and yes I did meet her and she was one of the very few things in all of ESO I could recognize but this greater city of Almalexia did not exist in ESO perhaps it was not built yet I am unsure?
All in all the game was fun to play but I would not pay to play it hell I was not playing it for a large portion of when the beta was free to play so what dies that tell you. becoming emperor in the alliance war is kind of meaningless sure you get a nice suit of Armour, a new skill line and a title with no actual authority whatsoever and a few benefits to your alliance members but that means nothing outside of your chosen campaign it only means something in Cyrodiil in but 1 campaign of many so you are not the only emperor and if you want to hold that title best you don't ever stop playing it when you become the emperor or you will lose it quite fast.

I will say it and do not blame me for it but in my personal opinion ESO is trying to be something its not and that is an Elder Scrolls game its fun to play for a time but there is very little immersion in it if any but its still an MMO all the way from the NPC dialogue, to the physics. to the combat and much in between why at one point I even forgot what series I was playing and that says a lot,
One last thing I can say for certain is the game will be infested with massive game breaking Bugs at launch it was in the last Beta session and they have only a few weeks to fix them such as quests that dident work. buttons not responding and major network lag just to name a few did I forget to mention that the servers and the loading times were herendous this is not Skyrim nor will it ever avert my attention from it and that is my 2 Cents.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts