• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

I remember reading, frequently, that ESO would be easier on my computer than Skyrim. Since I have been playing, however, I have noticed that my fan is running a lot faster, a lot more often. I downloaded a monitoring program, and have found that my gpu normally sits about 34-37 degrees celsius, but when playing ESO it hovers at 82, and occasionally 84.

Now, according to Nvidia's website, the gtx770 should be good for about 90, but that's a little closer than I like. Anybody else noticing this?

TheNatural

ESO, unless I am mistaken, it much tougher on PCs than Skyrim.

84 isn't really that bad, just make sure it has room to breathe, and that a lack of airflow isn't causing a slight rise in temperature.

I would say 75% of the time, when GPUs begin to run warmer than normal, it's due to a lack of good airflow. I am assuming here that you don't have any dust build-up, but sometimes that isn't always enough.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...

84 isn't really that bad, just make sure it has room to breathe, and that a lack of airflow isn't causing a slight rise in temperature.

I would say 75% of the time, when GPUs begin to run warmer than normal, it's due to a lack of good airflow. I am assuming here that you don't have any dust build-up, but sometimes that isn't always enough.
No it isn't ESO is designed to play on even older PCs and does not require as high specs to play a Skyrim does, Hell I get better FPS in ESO with 50 people on the screen at once then I do in Skyrim with no more then 10 people on screen

JoeReese

It's a brand new machine, sitting on an open-back chair, so there's plenty of airflow around it, and it's nice and clean. Neither Skyrim nor Medal of Honor seem to jack up the GPU temps like that. My norm is around 37, only ESO puts it in the 80s.

tx12001

Here are a few tips -

1. Have you tried exiting the Launcher once ESO has Started? for me it does take up a bit of memory

2. Make sure you are not Running anything else in the Background, to many things running could cause your PC to run hotter then it should

3. Have you updated your Driver's Recently?

4. If this monitoring program is a part of your PC then have you thought maybe it is the reason?

5. Perhaps Turn your Settings down, ESO has already become imfamous for Horrid Load Times because of the Graphic settings regardless of your PCs Specs ( I recommend this if it is your GPU that is having the Problem just turn off AA or Ambient Conclusion and then see)

6. Check your Nvidia Control Panel remember ESO may be optimized to run well on PC but it still has to render a LOT of people on screen at once that includes things like Anti Aliasing for Every character you see

7. You say it is sitting on a Chair..What is the surface of that chair, if it is soft-cusion like then it could cause heat

8. If you are Playing ESO then I have one thing to ask...Why have you not looked me up ingame yet hmm?

TheNatural

No it isn't ESO is designed to play on even older PCs and does not require as high specs to play a Skyrim does, Hell I get better FPS in ESO with 50 people on the screen at once then I do in Skyrim with no more then 10 people on screen

The nature of MMOs makes them more CPU intensive, which is why I was talking about airflow, his GPU shouldn't be getting slammed.

If you take the WoW engine and make it wholly single player, without the open world and other players bounding about, you could run it on Ultra with a TI-83. Take the same engine, add some people and toss them into Siege of Orgrimmar, and you have yourself a pretty demanding game. Just saying.

TheNatural

It's a brand new machine, sitting on an open-back chair, so there's plenty of airflow around it, and it's nice and clean. Neither Skyrim nor Medal of Honor seem to jack up the GPU temps like that. My norm is around 37, only ESO puts it in the 80s.

I am talking about airflow inside of your tower. What brand is your GPU?

It also very important to try and note if this is something that is taking place constantly, your just in high-pop areas. In the middle of nowhere, with no player characters on screen, your GPU should be settling in at a reasonable 70-75.

JoeReese

I'm not sure if there's a pattern to when it's happening. I noticed, while playing, that the fan was super loud, so I shut down and it went right back to its normal quiet hum. After a couple of times of this, I did some googling and ended up downloading speedfan, which is what showed me the gpu temp. Then I went to the nvidia website to make sure it should be ok. Assuming my technologically-declined self has the right meaning of GPU, it's a Nvidia GTX 770. I don't know the name of the main fan in the tower, but it's a pretty large, cylindrical type. New machine, Acer Predator, core i7, 8g ram, 1tb hard drive, windows 8 (damn it) at 64 bit.

I'm going to be looking into a higher performance cooling system, if I'm going to keep playing ESO. I'm not sure that I will yet, though.

Tx, we have just been trying to build our characters and skills (me and Lizzie) and haven't gone for the friends thing yet. If we keep the game, we will find you.

tx12001

Do this take the panels off your Tower of your PC whenever you play it and put your hands close to feel the heat source and see if it is Actually getting hot or is your PC just telling you that it is and until you do get a better cooling system try this handy little way in the meantime if you have a fan of any kind while the panels are off aim it into the tower as a makeshift cooler I do that sometimes.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts