• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pharaun159

Hey guys,

with the release of the new xbox one, i found myself utterly disgusted with the console gameing world. So i set out to build a pc that could hand anything the gameing world throws out for a lil while. My pc is just about complete, and during my quest, i decided to check out the latest mods for skyrim. To say I was impressed was an understatment. So what i would like to know, is how far i can actually push the graphics with my system, whilst not clashing with this 3.1 mem cap i keep hearing about.

My System
I5 3.4Ghz 4670k oc'd to 4.2
MSI gd-65 gameing motherboard
16gb corsair vengence RAM
650watt rosewill capstone 80+ gold psu
256gb corsair neutron ssd
1TB western digital hd
NZXT phantom tower with 3x 200mm 1x 140mm 2x 120mm fans
Corsair 80I watercooler
and i settled for a Saphire Radeon 7970 oc with boost 3gb ddr5 RAM

So obviously more then enough for skyrim. the mods i have been leaning towards:
Towns and cities enhanced
all hd resolution packs
realvision enb
all bird mods
clearalux
character appearance files
Noiral Reloaded Race
Blood textures enhanced
these are just the graphics improvment i'm shooting for.

so i guess my main question is... will i be able to run all these without crashing all the time?

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
I suggest a NVIDIA card, personally, but that Raedon looks decent. Everything looks mostly fine, except that I suggest an HDD with SSD hybrid... stuff. My lupus is kind of making me a bit incoherent but it's like a normal HDD with a few SSD bits to make commonly used programs launch faster. I personally LOVE it.

"will i be able to run all these without crashing all the time"
HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE CUTE

Skyrim's engine has a... thing where if it uses 3.1GB of RAM, it crashes or hits a never ending load screen. You can do nothing to fix (read: lower chances of) by playing the game near vanilla, whether that be few mods or smaller res texture replacers.

HOWEVER, yes, I see no reason you can play the game, with or without those mods. I personally run a lot more than what you're planning to set up with, and I don't have freezes/crashes too often. Just make sure you save often.

Pharaun159

Lol sorry, forgot to mention the 60gb micro ssd on the motherboard, that's used as the cache file for the terabyte hd and the bios storage. But the 7970 will be oc'd so it will be comparable to a gtx 680. Also 150 bucks cheaper, so win win. And thanks by the way. I didn't want to get my hopes up for kickass looks and have it fail lol.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
The micro SSD sounds good. Actually been meaning to get myself an MSata SSD and throwing my OS on that. :p

Mmmm... if you're overclocking the 7970 I would look for a bit more cooling; doesn't do you any good if you OC and burn it out (even worse if you cause a fire).

Pharaun159

The micro SSD sounds good. Actually been meaning to get myself an MSata SSD and throwing my OS on that. :p

Mmmm... if you're overclocking the 7970 I would look for a bit more cooling; doesn't do you any good if you OC and burn it out (even worse if you cause a fire).

Lol np. You should see the amount of room in this case. There are 2 200mm fans directly on top pulling hot air out. And one 200mm fan directly over the mobo that will help cool the gpu. So I can push it a lil ways before I gotta worry about liquid cooling. I can if I need to though. Plus the 2 120mm fans on the side and the 140mm in the front.

Pharaun159

I suggest a NVIDIA card, personally, but that Raedon looks decent. Everything looks mostly fine, except that I suggest an HDD with SSD hybrid... stuff. My lupus is kind of making me a bit incoherent but it's like a normal HDD with a few SSD bits to make commonly used programs launch faster. I personally LOVE it.

"will i be able to run all these without crashing all the time"
HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE CUTE

Skyrim's engine has a... thing where if it uses 3.1GB of RAM, it crashes or hits a never ending load screen. You can do nothing to fix (read: lower chances of) by playing the game near vanilla, whether that be few mods or smaller res texture replacers.

HOWEVER, yes, I see no reason you can play the game, with or without those mods. I personally run a lot more than what you're planning to set up with, and I don't have freezes/crashes too often. Just make sure you save often.

and sigh.... 3.1 gb? damn 32 bit encryption! come on bethesda! Most if not all of us are running 64. lets go here. you can give us 16gb with windows 7 and 32gb with windows 8. Time to catch up with the times! lol

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
On the plus side, hopefully the next TES will have a 64 bit engine, and if we have talented modders/programmers in the community, maybe they'll make Skyrim compatible with it. :3

Also, I know all 32 bit versions of Windows are limited to 4GB RAM, but Win7 isn't limited to 16GB. I have that right now in my system and I could double it without issue. That's more of a hardware thing that OS.

Pharaun159

Just something i remember reading. If i recall correctly, it probably has to do with the 32bit version. never ran into it myself. And yes, definetly, want to see how far bethesda can push this series. I actually think its gonna be a long while before the next elderscrolls game. Elderscrolls online is gonna suck most of it right up for awhile. not even that excited about the new game myself. Not much for mmo's. Would like to see a systemlink option for gameplay in the next elderscrolls though.

PuuLoo

Guys, when downloading graphics enhancing mods for Skyrim you just can't miss More Dynamic Shadows with Striping Fixed. It's awesome!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts