• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Anybody else disappointed and pissed off that the Elites are enemies in Halo 4? I know I am. Master Chief acknowledges this at the first elite he (you) kills, saying "I thought we had a truce with the Covenant (which him reffering to the Elites as the "Covenant" also kinda pisses me off, since the Elites made a Separatist faction) and Cortana responds with "...a lot can happen in 4 years..." that's not a good enough answer for me.

How did this happen?

What happened to this?
Elite_vs_Brute__Pre_Halo2_by_jaxxblackfox.jpg

I looked it up a bit ago and I found out that the Elites, Grunts and Jackals I've been killing were apart of a splinter faction of the Covenant, called the "Storm Covenant" or something who were fanatics and loyalists who remained loyal to the Covenant. I've read that they were having a civil war with Thel 'Vadam's (The Arbiter we all know and love) separatist side. But one little page on the Internet isn't enough for a confirmation.

So I ask you guys to discuss what is going on with the Elites and why they have betrayed us. Did some plops hit the fan during the time that Master Chief was floating on Forward Unto Dawn in space? Or did 343 Industries purposely fluff up the storyline to make it appeal to the majority of close-minded idiots who play the game like "HURR DURR SPARTANS RULE ELITES SUCK DICK STOOPID DINOS LOLOLOL" just to make it "cool"? And cover it up for those like me who actually pay attention to the story with a poor excuse like "a lot can happen in four years"?

I have a feeling it's the second one, considering that Halo 3 was supposed to literally be the end of the story about 5 years ago when it came out. Then all of the sudden 343 Industries just has to step in and make Halo 4 out of nowhere; not to say I don't like the idea, however, I just wish Bungie didn't retire, and that Bungie would've made Halo 4 so there would be no risk of the Storyline being fluffed up.

I'm not saying I don't like Halo 4, it was really fun the first mission I played and had fantastic graphics and gameplay. I'm just concerned that 343 Industries fluffed up the plot, I don't wanna see one of my favorite game series and the game I grew up with ruined just because 343 Industries sold it out to those type of assholes I mentioned earlier. I haven't gotten that far into the game yet so if I find out that the Elites rejoined the covenant and are fighting Master Chief for a good, valid reason, and not just to appeal to the "cool kids" then i'll update on this thread.

But no matter how much 343 Industries may have fluffed it up (if they did), I'll still love it because it's halo. And I grew up on this amazing franchise and have a lot of good memories with it. And I won't allow a few miniscule errors in the story to ruin it for me. I just want to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
With the way that they were talking about the Covenent in H4, it sounds like they were separate from the rest of the Covenent. I think the word Covenent is used as a label for all the different species in that faction, as well as the faction itself. One is the correct way and the other is the lingering impression that is unique to the perspective of humans.

To me it just felt like they weren't part of the faction that signed a truce at the end of H3.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
With the way that they were talking about the Covenent in H4, it sounds like they were separate from the rest of the Covenent. I think the word Covenent is used as a label for all the different species in that faction, as well as the faction itself. One is the correct way and the other is the lingering impression that is unique to the perspective of humans.

To me it just felt like they weren't part of the faction that signed a truce at the end of H3.

Yeah because of the "Storm Covenant" and all, along with how Master Chief said they "seemed more fanatical". I'm still a bit disappointed honestly, I mean the game itself is just really different from the previous halo games. Im not saying its bad, it's actually pretty fun, I just wish that bungie were still the developers, they've come too far to quit now. And I also miss the Arbiter who I honestly don't expect to see in the game

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Yeah because of the "Storm Covenant" and all, along with how Master Chief said they "seemed more fanatical". I'm still a bit disappointed honestly, I mean the game itself is just really different from the previous halo games. Im not saying its bad, it's actually pretty fun, I just wish that bungie were still the developers, they've come too far to quit now. And I also miss the Arbiter who I honestly don't expect to see in the game

From what I understand (although I haven't really looked into it) Bungie were the ones who didn't want to develop any more Halo games, so they "stopped while they were ahead" so to speak. What we are seeing here is kind of a Dragon Ball GT thing, where the original creator(s) aren't involved in a sequel, and it turns out much different than the original.

Personally, I don't mind it. I thought the story was a bit off from previous games, but I'm not really afraid of change. I did enjoy seeing Master Chief with a lot more of a personality, and I thought in general the writing was good, I believe it was a strong start to the new studio continuuing the series. Halo Reach was previously my favorite Halo game because I really loved how tragic and hopeless the story felt in contrast to the other games.

But remember that if this studio wasn't doing the new Halo games, then someone else would. I think that 343 is doing a pretty good job, and even put a message to Halo fans about it at the end of H4, which really showed that 343 are really just Halo fans themselves.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
While the Elites on your side was a nice little touch that I enjoyed, I disagree that Bungie should have developed this one. The story hasn't been that great or immerse since Halo 2 imo. The gameplay and what not has MASSIVELY been improved since the last ones and I think they did a wonderful job with Halo 4, I'm hooked into as much as I was hooked into Halo 2.

Maybe they should have kept a couple Bungie creative directors on as advisers just to control the direction a little bit and keep it true to the vision but fresh meat is EXACTLY what this series needed. Considering Bungie were the ones who separated from Microsoft knowing they didn't own the intellectual property rights to the series, seems like they are done with it and you can tell from the games they were making. Halo 1+2 were great games that separated themselves from all other FPS's, but after they just all seemed like another Sci-fi FPS featuring Master Chief. This new one, while not exactly on the same path story-wise, feels like Halo again.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
From what I understand (although I haven't really looked into it) Bungie were the ones who didn't want to develop any more Halo games, so they "stopped while they were ahead" so to speak. What we are seeing here is kind of a Dragon Ball GT thing, where the original creator(s) aren't involved in a sequel, and it turns out much different than the original.

Personally, I don't mind it. I thought the story was a bit off from previous games, but I'm not really afraid of change. I did enjoy seeing Master Chief with a lot more of a personality, and I thought in general the writing was good, I believe it was a strong start to the new studio continuuing the series. Halo Reach was previously my favorite Halo game because I really loved how tragic and hopeless the story felt in contrast to the other games.

But remember that if this studio wasn't doing the new Halo games, then someone else would. I think that 343 is doing a pretty good job, and even put a message to Halo fans about it at the end of H4, which really showed that 343 are really just Halo fans themselves.

I never meant to say they weren't doing good, I just think that the way they made it doesn't feel like halo to me.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
Just give it time : ) it can never be exactly the same as it used to be, the best we can hope for is that what it becomes is equally good.

Yeah you're right.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts