elder scroll beta review

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
An error occured :confused:

Um you do know that there is an TESO discussion section in the Forums? Its probably better posted there...

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Fairly accurate assessment of pros and cons. I agree with most of his take on what the game does well and what would fall into the "so-so" category. Hard to tell though what percentage of the game is enabled on any particular test, but you do get a general idea of it overall

zuko514

I figure since alot of people get to know elder scroll through skyrim, people think this game skyrim online. i figure it is more fitting to post it here.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I found it somewhere between Oblivion and Skyrim, but once I'd got past the manic appearance of a lot of people running around like headless chickens, I stopped and talked to NPCs and got a few little side quests. A few things were missing, but that's what beta tests are for. Just like the one this weekend.

AS88

Staff member
I think these guys are trying to play the game like an MMO rather than an exploration game like Skyrim. They mention how they get bored of running from one objective to another, when the Elder Scrolls has always been about avoiding quests!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
TESO for those who RP and immerse themselves.

"My new adventure begins, my trusty sword and my determination to see this quest through. I'll stop for a quick meal, before heading off towards...."

"lol why you eatin food noob u shuld jst mke potions that restore full health"

"press F5 for free money"

"come@me I'll beat u irl"

"do u even lift lolz"

"y dnt you wear dedric noob"

AS88

Staff member
TESO for those who RP and immerse themselves.

"My new adventure begins, my trusty sword and my determination to see this quest through. I'll stop for a quick meal, before heading off towards...."

"lol why you eatin food noob u shuld jst mke potions that restore full health"

"press F5 for free money"

"come@me I'll beat u irl"

"do u even lift lolz"

"y dnt you wear dedric noob"

I think there's a way to avoid that though, can't remember what it is now because it's been a while since that episode of ShoddyCast... :oops:

SaveVsBedWet

I enjoyed the game play, graphics, and storyline (what I saw of it) in the last beta. What I didn't like plain and simple was (as stated elsewhere) :

1. That I couldn't pause the game to change anything.
  2. That #1 was made deadly by completely inept single handed weapon cycling.
  3. Every NPC was Jesse Owens. Dr D'Irsei despite starting in front of them, was clearly identifiable as Fat Albert within the first 10 yards of running. No matter what the encumberance.
  4. Although I can imagine and agree with some of the reasons for it, I was quite disappointed that there was no opportunity to even try out and acclimate to a siege weapon.
  5. I didn't like that dual wield was a melee spell.
  6. I didn't like that I could not seem to swing weapons with either hand independently, likely the reason for doing things as in #5.
  7. I didn't like that raising the level of a dual wield spell actually took up its own slot rather than simply upgrading the lower level spell in its existing slot.
#2 and #1 really do go together as a big problem. When you can't pause the game, as you wouldn't honestly expect to in a multiplayer game, you should not be looking at switching to a two handed weapon to free each hand of your one handed weapons just so you can then re-equip one handed weapons in the hands you actually want them as the fastest route to achieving the goal. I got pelted with violence several times trying to cycle damaged weapons out of my hands for undamaged or more powerful ones because equipping goes the same circular way every time with one hand emptying only when a weapon is shuffled to the other hand first.

I don't see how that's going to work out in the middle of a scrum with 60 people swinging and casting onscreen at once.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Its quite sad to see that they have put the TES name to a game that seems to me is very flawed. Ok, I can live with some of the Lore breaking points. I can live with some fiddly game controls. But from what Im hearing, they really havent polished this game up to the standard of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, and yet they are taking the TES name and trying to appeal to that audience (obviously not just that audience).

I, for one, will not be purchasing the game for at least the first 6months. Im not going to go out and buy a new ps4, the game and than subscription just to play a game that has good graphics and a large map. Please correct me if Im wrong, but it seems this game does not have anything special or the WOW factor that previous TES games had?

Suleku

The Grey Knight
I enjoyed the game play, graphics, and storyline (what I saw of it) in the last beta. What I didn't like plain and simple was (as stated elsewhere) :

3. Every NPC was Jesse Owens. Dr D'Irsei despite starting in front of them, was clearly identifiable as Fat Albert within the first 10 yards of running. No matter what the encumberance.
  4. Although I can imagine and agree with some of the reasons for it, I was quite disappointed that there was no opportunity to even try out and acclimate to a siege weapon.
  6. I didn't like that I could not seem to swing weapons with either hand independently, likely the reason for doing things as in #5.
  7. I didn't like that raising the level of a dual wield spell actually took up its own slot rather than simply upgrading the lower level spell in its existing slot.
#2 and #1 really do go together as a big problem. When you can't pause the game, as you wouldn't honestly expect to in a multiplayer game, you should not be looking at switching to a two handed weapon to free each hand of your one handed weapons just so you can then re-equip one handed weapons in the hands you actually want them as the fastest route to achieving the goal. I got pelted with violence several times trying to cycle damaged weapons out of my hands for undamaged or more powerful ones because equipping goes the same circular way every time with one hand emptying only when a weapon is shuffled to the other hand first.

I don't see how that's going to work out in the middle of a scrum with 60 people swinging and casting onscreen at once.

Oooh dear o_O you must've gotta dragged into the mmorpg elder scrolls hype like everyone else... and By the sounds it looks like this is your first mmorpg >.> We've all been there before... Unlike the single player Elder scrolls game. They won't allow you to pause through the game in order to keep things balanced and players from cheating in any of it's content whether it be PvE or PvP. TEO is pretty much like for example "real life", you can't go back or freeze time just before your GF pushed you off a cliff XD. I haven't played the game to be honest with you but I'm pretty sure your going have to use cookie cutters classes at some point, don't make the mistake of thinking your solo build is going work in a group quest because it won't and you'll pretty much get laughed at then be kicked from that dungeon >.>. Going have to scale down your class into one of these three categories: Damage Dealer (focus on killing the mob and stuns), Healer (Looking at everyones HP and using Cure spells soo you won't get owned :p ), and Tank (Keeping the hate soo pty won't wipe).

Other then that hopefully your enjoy your time in ESO if you actually plan on sticking with the game as for myself. I'm not touching ESO with a 10 pole, it looks like a very boring game and I'd rather stick with an awesome single player modding experience of Skyrim without the 15 monthly fee!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I really like the concept of the Daedric Prince Molag Bal being the main antagonist and trying to get all of Tamriel into his Coldharbour realm. I just don't think this kind of story fits well for Massively multiplayer online role-playing. It would've been a nice long mainquest for the next Elders scrolls game, not MMORP!

So far, even with the fully updated patches, I still see bundles amount of bugs and glitches that drives me nuts. I crash every 5 mins by getting a black screen, and no. It's not my video graphics card because I can play other games without a problem.

I tend to play High elves class a lot due to their Magicka involvements, and I must give ESO credit for improving their appearance. Skyrim version was just god awful.

Since this game is going to be paid subscription of 15 dollars IMO this game is not worth the extra 15 dollars a month, and therefor I will not be purchasing this game.

SaveVsBedWet

Oooh dear o_O you must've gotta dragged into the mmorpg elder scrolls hype like everyone else... and By the sounds it looks like this is your first mmorpg >.> We've all been there before... Unlike the single player Elder scrolls game. They won't allow you to pause through the game in order to keep things balanced and players from cheating in any of it's content whether it be PvE or PvP. TEO is pretty much like for example "real life", you can't go back or freeze time just before your GF pushed you off a cliff XD. I haven't played the game to be honest with you but I'm pretty sure your going have to use cookie cutters classes at some point, don't make the mistake of thinking your solo build is going work in a group quest because it won't and you'll pretty much get laughed at then be kicked from that dungeon >.>. Going have to scale down your class into one of these three categories: Damage Dealer (focus on killing the mob and stuns), Healer (Looking at everyones HP and using Cure spells soo you won't get owned :p ), and Tank (Keeping the hate soo pty won't wipe).

Other then that hopefully your enjoy your time in ESO if you actually plan on sticking with the game as for myself. I'm not touching ESO with a 10 pole, it looks like a very boring game and I'd rather stick with an awesome single player modding experience of Skyrim without the 15 monthly fee!

Well, in a way you are right. I have been an ES fan since Arena, and have played every game in the series and loved them all (with the exception of Redguard), plus the Fallout games (long live the Tranquility Lane black screen no signal), and haven't had an occasion yet to regret buying on the strength of their name alone where it comes to these two series. I am aware that there is no way they are going to be able to come close to the single player game in a multi-player environment, and have actually played Pirates of the Burning Sea, Aion, Anarchy Online, and a couple others although I didn't really stick with them because they are not places noobs can have fun with minimal stats while warlords on the ground or the equivalent pirates to Charles Vane on the sea are pursuing with 80 gun commandeered man o'wars.

It's not actually that I was expecting a duplicate experience to Skyrim. The graphics are more than good enough, the performance is really good, it was stable (unlike the SP games), and it can be reasonably expected that the experience will be fun once siege warfare and actual group combat can be experienced. My issue is actually that some fairly rudimentary if not elementary features of the SP experience have been left out, and it is in no way clear what aspects of mmorpg force such omissions to be made. In fact, as I mentioned, at least one of the realities of mmorpg fairly demands that a related mechanic be retained.

The ability/spell slot upgrades? What for? There are already severe limits on available spell slots, as per what one would expect from a mmorpg. Why on Earth would the same spell take up a slot per upgrade? What would be the point of upgrading anything if every new level cuts your ability capacity by 25%?

I can see crippling movement speed to level the playing field, but this completely moots the concept of encumbrance. Where's the benefit?

There's probably a lot more. Fortunately by the time they take effect the casket will have limited line of sight to our corpse so...how much can it matter.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I played the Seige content in Cyrodiil it got boring fast after several hours of running back and forth between keeps trying to avoid getting killed by enemy players so i gave up and tried some Cyrodiil questing which was even harder because enemy players will still kill you.

SaveVsBedWet

I played the Seige content in Cyrodiil it got boring fast after several hours of running back and forth between keeps trying to avoid getting killed by enemy players so i gave up and tried some Cyrodiil questing which was even harder because enemy players will still kill you.

Whuuut?! You operated siege engines in the beta? How can this be? I thought they left that out, presumably on some basis of people not buying the cow because the milk was free?

Your sig graphic is full of win. <-- This is a critically important informative message. Your life would not be the same without it. You must believe us. The power of Christ compels you.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...

Whuuut?! You operated siege engines in the beta? How can this be? I thought they left that out, presumably on some basis of people not buying the cow because the milk was free?

Your sig graphic is full of win. <-- This is a critically important informative message. Your life would not be the same without it. You must believe us. The power of Christ compels you.
did you even make it to cyrodiil? 40% of people who were playing were using seige weapons

SaveVsBedWet

did you even make it to cyrodiil? 40% of people who were playing were using seige weapons

No I work on Fridays, hang with the woman on Saturdays and just happened to have been breaking in a new Ducati since February on Sundays so I didn't spend but about 4-5 hours per beta period actually in front of the computer playing. I only got invited to the last two betas and in this final one I had to use some of my available time downloading client updates cause I forgot to start it the night before.

It was enough time to see what was going to become annoying and to sign off on the graphics and get in a lot of PvE endodontic work for Dr. D'Irsei but not enough to really progress through the tasks to different areas. I think I only got to the part where I was in the Dwemer Ruins trying to get someone to join a heist. That was still in the first two areas I believe.

Sucks to be me I guess. I really wanted to get in some catapult time before launch. Get the gist of the siege chaos.

Actually this is a textbook problem for me with mmorpgs. Pacing. This is what I can agree to readily with diagnosis about heavy SP experience being brought in. I had the same problem with Defiance - that I apparently was too busy with the experience so to speak to actually blitz through "objectives" in businesslike clinical "high score obsessed" fashion and make much progress, so I was never ready for a new episode's changed objectives after 7 days with the previous episode. Same thing here clearly.

Lucid

I was recently asked by another forum member what I thougth of TESO (looking at you Daelon DuLac), and decided to jump into this thread since it was the most recently updated beta discussion thread. I like TESO better than other MMO games I've played, but less than other TES games.

I played the hell out of TESO for 4 beta weekends. I enjoyed it muchly, but won't be subscribing when it launches.
I don't oppose the subscription fee, and I don't join those calling on Zenimax and Bethsoft to justify it. But my schedule is too erratic for me to be a reliable guild or team member in a multiplayer environment. I would end up feeling obligated or committed, instead of just having fun. And if I'm going to play single player PvE I would rather just play a moddable, static game.

I created a new character for each beta update, to test changes to the character creation and opening sequence, but would go back to my original PCs after getting the new one out of Coldharbor.

I really like the TESO character creation process. I was able to be happy with each character I made. I was a big fan of the open world movement, variety of armor and clothing choices, ease of finding side quests, and NPC interaction.I always end up going on "fetch" quests (but don't you dare call me a fetcher ;))

I prefer game controllers, but quickly got used to the TESO keyboard/mouse menu navigation and combat commands. Except for the "quickslots", that made me feel dumb.

I assumed that it would be difficult to switch weapons mid-combat (as it would be IRL), so I never tried. I would rather backpedal while firing arrows at close range than get stabbed in the throat trying to drop my bow and unsheathe my sword. Going from melee weapon to spells was not a problem however. My Breton Templar was great with a shieldbash-puncture-fireball combo, for anything she didn't incinerate at 20-paces that is.

I struggled with crafting initially, but got the hang of it. I didn't dedicate the time to be good at any crafting skills, and would be interested in hearing from somebody who did.

If I think of anything else to add, I will.

SaveVsBedWet

I agree it shouldn't be a walk in the park to change weapons mid-fight, but to lean towards realism as a motive for the mechanical difficulty and then chase realism away with a fire hose by actually expecting someone to grab another weapon that occupies both hands just to drop both single handed weapons and then shuffle them from one hand to the other in order is sort of lame, wouldn't you say? Sends a mixed message? Gets your dental work done, for "less"?

Not looking forward to that. Looking at the price of horses, a full set of uppers and lowers might require the booty from all of my first five keep sieges to pay off. Either that or I'll need to petition the publishers to make "Banker" a playable race.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts