Dual wield build... starting out tips/tricks

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Necromis

I did this on my 2nd char on master level: dual wielding/light armor/archery/sneak, race khajiit (mostly for the night eye skill)
at start it will be a nightmare because everything kills you, I used a follower as a meat shield to make it thru the first 20 levels, really funny and challenging tho

Hmm, not sure what you were doing with a sneak character to be killed all the time, but different builds handle differently. Personally on my sneak builds I avoid having a follower as they totally ruin the sneak perk with their noise clomping around. Daurgr are easy with a sneak archer or even with a dagger with the right perks. I would kill them before they ever even woke up outa their coffins. You might wanna also run away more often and then come back in sneak mode when you get caught.

I did have a few issues with some of the more powerful bosses finding me early on before I learned to move from the location I was attacking from. They always home in on that location. so as one of the guides points out, shoot and move about 10 meters way, and then when you are hidden go back and repeat till dead.

andrea

you know, stealth doesn't work much until you have like 70-75 and perked it.
I didn't used any trick to increase it fast, just leveled it up naturally...
now that I'm lvl40 I kill draugr deathlords with one dagger power hit when sneaking, LOL
during my first 10-15 levels a simple bear could one shot me if I had no followers

Necromis

Actually with a stealth of only 25-30 it works fine. I think you might be missing a key point of stealth and that is the shift or caps lock key. Remember when you are walking fast stealth is weaker. you need to creep in with the shift key. Also you need to snipe from a distance rather than up close.

andrea

well, it worked fine to being accompanied by a follower until higher levels, now I don't need'em anymore. Now I can even jump in front of enemies without being noticed :)

note: I play on xbox360 so I have no idea what keys are you talking about LOL, but I guess you mean approaching slowly and not running.

Kuurus

you know, stealth doesn't work much until you have like 70-75 and perked it.
I didn't used any trick to increase it fast, just leveled it up naturally...
now I kill draugr deathlords with one dagger power hit when sneaking, LOL
That depends what you mean by "work". You are probably correct if you are talking about approaching and backstabbing mobs, although from my experience I might peg that threshold a little bit lower than 70. I am pretty sure that even in heavy armor, I was able to consistently start doing this at around skill level 60 with only 2/5 in Stealth (plus boots with Muffle). However, well before that it works quite well for sneak attacks with a bow.;)

Necromis

LOL, that is good. I actually just got my pickpocket high enough to give me that extra pocket perk and that 100 lbs is a nice added loot load. Hey, something you guys might like to know is Karliah is great to pickpocket if you use a bow. She has elven arrows and a good amt of them, too. I just quick save right after the conversation outside the dungeon you meet her in and then pickpocket them away for later use. Very nice. Though for my current build I use the Bound Mystic Bow with the silent cast Illusion perk so I have no real need for them yet. Maybe when I get the Nightengale bow later I will use them.

Kuurus

yeah, I meant the dagger or weapons attack, the thread is about dual wield...
I was just clarifying lest someone reading the thread didn't make the connection and thought Sneak wouldn't work for other things at lower levels. I knew what you meant though, hence the ";)"

benathius

im pretty much exactly the same andrea at the mo im at level 14 with a khajiit duel weild light armour archery sneak but i also use alot of destruction , also duel , i have a follower but i dont find i need him really, i dont fast travel in this game and when im running around hes far to slow so most of my fights are over and done with by the time he gets there anyway , i came across two reguards who were looking for a woman and one thing led to another and erm,,, their dead , but they had two swords i hadnt seen before , only 13 damage but they look cool cause they match and they are weird ,,, i like em anyway ,, im enjoying it,

long term im gonna get enchanting maxed out and put two absord health enchants on each sword i can only think this is gonna make it alot harder to kill me if both swords are absorbing loads of health while im swinging like a madman at everything

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I'm using a follower too. But already at level 9 I'm finding they are useless to me. I can pretty much charge a bunch of 4-5 bandits and come out trumphs. Only bosses I'd need a follower as backup.

It you have a look in my signature you'll see my planned enchantments for my uber axes.

Necromis

Yeah I have found followers not all that great. Though my dual wield fighter has lydia as fodder and pack mule.

brandon

there a deadric quest for boethia that you can do. the reward is a set of ebony mail armor. its enchanted with a poison cloud and the way it was made muffles any sound from it. it is a set of heavy armor and you get the quest around lvl 30 or so. but you dont need to invest any perks into sneak for it to be effective. im playing on hard and i sneak everywhere and have bandits and draugr walk into me before they see me. my sneak is in the 80s and the only thing im missing out on is the silent roll and damage from sneak attacks. other then that there isnt a difference in my sneaking ability. i am currently playing as a battle mage of sorts. i have the nightengale blade and a deadric war axe incase i run out of magic on the tougher enemies. the only perks i took in one handed tree was 2 point to the armsman perk. 1 point into the dual weild perk and 1 point each to the sword and axe perk respectively. i almost have heavy armor maxed out. i need 1 more point in the first perk and itll be maxed. my destruction is maxed and my illusion is 4 points shy of having all perks

Fife

Here are some dual-wielding "tricks" that I have used. I respect that some people prefer the RP aspect of the game--if you do too, then don't read any further.

In the beginning, you have a choice to enter the keep with the imperial guy or the stormcloak guy. After you get two swords (I recommend swords because they are quicker), do power dual-strikes against the guy whenever you have energy. When you run out of energy, do regular dual-strikes. When he "dies", he will do a swooning animation for a few seconds. If you let him stand up, he will recover a small amount of life and gradually regain health. However, if you kill him as soon as he gets up from swooning, he will glitch and have full life again. Repeat. I find that I can get to 40-50 one-handed skill before my brain starts rotting from boredom. Crouch if you want to build up stealth. Stealth goes up really fast if you do dual-wield sneak attacks.

If you dual wield, you can have super fast offhand strikes (I have only tested this on PS3). For this reason, I always put my staple weapon on my left-hand. Roll your analog controller backwards and forwards while striking with your offhand. Every once in awhile, wiggle the controller left and right. You will see that movement animation sometimes cuts your previous animation (which, hopefully, is the strike animation). If you do it right, you will hear 2-3 if not more contact sounds, indicating successful hits. You can mow down humanoids really quickly with this. For obvious reasons, this doesn't work against trolls and giants. I haven't tried it on a dragon.

Straumgald

Another key thing for dual wielding...Looking cool. To best accomplish this, I recommend DW Dragonbane and a Blades sword. Too bad they don't have any unenchanted light armor that looks cool. I still use those swords at 63 and I think they are around 200+/- damage each.

Lucimorth

I have to be honest, it feels like my character is just overpowered. I am level 32, dual wielding legendary swords - daedric, with a total of around 300 damage. I use heavy armor as there is no need for me to sneak, up to a while ago I used dragon armor but now that my smithing is 100, and I enchanted some smithing items I made iron armor that gets me to about 330+ armor with some enchantments. Honestly, almost nothing really makes a dent. Even dragons are a joke, as soon as it lands, two -three power attacks and it is down (frost, highest I have seen so far). With my DR and HP it seems I don't get damaged much by it. The key really is the skills, enchants, and smithing. Get good enchanted items for smithing, +16 or more smithing each, then you can have about 150 smithing with a skill of 100, and so your items are REALLY nice. Add some one handed damage boost enchants and heavy armor boost enchants, and your armor and damage baloon out of control. I don't even need sneak attacks, my dual wield special hits are basically strong enough. Just spec your one handed to match it. Sure, heavy armor makes you run slow and carry less...but you can charge a dragon or two giants or anything really head on and smash them too hell with two kick ass swords...now thats fun :D Even when I killed the dragon priest, I took a shock potion and it was pretty easy. Hardest so far was the guy in the quest for red eagle - the archer with his bloody disarm shouts.

Doomy

Doesn't feel like overpowering, it IS overpowering! Most builds will teach this between 30 and 45. Time for your next character, maybe on master.

Wtf people do to get to 81 is beyond me. Zzzzzz

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts