Does the Arcane University of Cyrodiil still exist?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neriad13

Premium Member
I read here that that branch of the Mages' Guild was dismantled during the Great War. I believe that information came from The Infernal City, an official novel set in Tamriel that takes place between the events of Oblivion and Skyrim and seems to help fill the 200 year gap in the games' storylines. I've yet to get a hold of it myself, though it does look very interesting.

However, when I was going through a Dwemer ruin with Marcurio, he distinctly said a line about wanting to take a Dwemer automaton back to the Arcane University of Cyrodiil for study. :confused:

Which source do I believe? My traveling (perhaps sadly misinformed) companion who's right in front of me or a book that I've never read? Does the College of Winterhold have anything to say on the matter? I haven't actually done the College quests yet.

XbSuper

The arcane university is not the Mage's guild. So yes it is entirely possible that it would still exist.

Neriad13

Premium Member

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Mages Guild isn't around the ones that took it's place has become more Political, more about protecting it's secrets than teaching magic, I believe they're called the College of Whispers and The Synod which both rival each other, so they want to protect their secrets from each other, but they take magical items from other places, like The Synod was trying to do in Skyrim.

Neriad13

Premium Member
It is 200 years later so there could be a new school.

There actually is a new school that I know of - the College of Whispers. However, I don't know much about its purpose or anything else. What bothers me the most is that Marcurio definitely, specifically said "Arcane University." I'm really beginning to think that someone hiccuped while writing that line.

Then, there's also the Synod, another faction that the Mages' Guild split off into. But they seem to be a more political organization rather than an academic one.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
... What bothers me the most is that Marcurio definitely, specifically said "Arcane University." I'm really beginning to think that someone hiccuped while writing that line....

You really believe the ramblings of a man who spends ALL DAY in a tavern? :D

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well he may be right, the Mages Guild is an organisation, the Arcane University is just a place, there may be a new group in there now.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts