Does Save File size impact Performance ?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jack63SS

Over the years I have been playing Skyrim I have noticed that the game runs faster with smaller save files. Fast move and Going thru a door are the two best examples. I am not sure I understand why, but I sense that is correct. My first question is, am I totally in space or is it possible I am correct ? If I am correct, second question is, how do I shrink the size of the files ? Does removing the number of individual items (unique ref IDs) help. What data is stored that make the files grow ?
Thanks

helge

Yes, it has a huge effect, I find. My lv 120 character is virtually unplayable, so more often than not I just find myself creating new ones to be able to play.
There are ways to make it better, though, I just can't be bothered most of the time. You can download the Unofficial Patch (you should really do this anyway), apparently waiting a month or so (only in-game, don't worry) resets cells and containers and that should help too.

Also, if your game regularly crashes as well, it might be worth cleaning up your modlist with tes5edit or something, that should help a lot.

It is my my understanding, however, that the bloat (and thus the sluggishness) never fully goes away, as the further you progress, there's inevitably more stuff for the game to remember.

The easiest (and least time-consuming) tip is to disable autosave, this helped me a lot. (But don't forget to periodically save manually, you know.)

Otherwise, you could just pretend your character is getting older, or the weight of the tough decisions they've had to make is slowly eating away at their will and makes them more reluctant to go forward. Remember, the difference between a bug and a feature is just your attitude; this is a Bethesda game, after all.

Jack63SS

That was what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. What I want to find out now is what causes the file to grow over time. I'm pretty sure that every time I add a new unique item the file would grow, which makes sense. But if I sell all of one type does it make it smaller ? That is about the only thing I think I can control that might impact the size.

As for the Unofficial Patch, I think I have it installed but I recently moved my game from playing on Win7 to Win10 on a dual-boot system, so I had to re-install a bunch of stuff.

I completed All Quests & All Locations in the base game about a year ago and decided to start playing DLCs and Add-Ons. Before I did that I went back thru my 900+ saves (and I do have Autosave disabled) and found one that was a reasonable level with reasonable weapons and followers. Then I started playing EACH DLC/Add-On FROM that save, as the save file was about 30% smaller. Made it much faster. Yeah, I lose some stuff each time, but it's about the journey.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. If I figure out anything new I'll post here.
Jack

Jack63SS

So I went into the game, and tried to use removeallitems containerID to delete some items from a container. Hung every time even with just 10 items in the container. So I tried resetinventory containerID. It did delete all the items and reset the container. BUT after doing a quicksave the save file size did not really change. Not sure what this means, but that's what happened.
I think I am going to start a new discussion asking what I can do to reduce my save file size and see what I get as a response.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts