Does Magic Resist apply to All Fire Damage??

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Just wondering.... I'm making a vampire build for Dawnguard. I want to know if Magic Resistance enchantments apply to ALL fire damage, including dragon's breath weapon attacks. I read somewhere that you have a 85% cap on all magic and elemental resistances.

If Magic Resist. applies to all fire damage, do Fire resist and Magic resist enchantments stack?

Grelod The Kind

Fire resist is fire resist. You resist anything fire-based. The end. If that happens to be magic, you resist magic. Dragon's attacks are shouts, and shouts are not magic, as far as I know.

This is like standing in a forge. You're getting fire damage, but obviously it's a physical and not magical effect. In this case, they won't stack.

Zatam Zar

.esrever ni ti daeR
Im pretty sure that dragon shouts do count towards the resistance because when i have all my gear on when an ancient shouts at me i can barley see my health go down but then if i take it off i almost kills me. Plus dosent fire breath not work on Flame Atronatch's. i Think the same would apply to your fire Resistances.

Jaeger

My Breton with racial ability of 25% MR, agent of Mara 15%, 2/3 MR of the Alteration tree, and the Lord Stones 25% (for a total of 85%) could stand in the maw of a dragons mouth and get a suntan.

Go to the UESP and put magic resistance into the search bar for verification.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Fire resist is fire resist. You resist anything fire-based. The end. If that happens to be magic, you resist magic. Dragon's attacks are shouts, and shouts are not magic, as far as I know.

This is like standing in a forge. You're getting fire damage, but obviously it's a physical and not magical effect. In this case, they won't stack.

Well, all that is true, but I want to know if dragon's fire breath is considered a magical attack in-game. The reason is I don't want to waste fire resist enchantments if magic resist does the job.

EDIT: Sorry. I just realized I should have posted this in the help forum. 'doh!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Magic resistance and elemental damage resistances don't stack. Instead they are applied successively against the damage, first magic resistance and then elemental resistance. By way of example if you had 50% magic resistance and 50% fire resistance and an Ancient Dragon attacked you with its fire breath for 100 damage per second, your magic resistance (contrary to what someone else posted) will resist 50% of the attack or 50 damage per second, leaving the remaining 50 damage to be further reduced by 50% by your fire resistance to 25 damage per second, i.e. 75% total resistance to fire damage.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Magic resistance and elemental damage resistances don't stack. Instead they are applied successively against the damage, first magic resistance and then elemental resistance. By way of example if you had 50% magic resistance and 50% fire resistance and an Ancient Dragon attacked you with its fire breath for 100 damage per second, your magic resistance (contrary to what someone else posted) will resist 50% of the attack or 50 damage per second, leaving the remaining 50 damage to be further reduced by 50% by your fire resistance to 25 damage per second, i.e. 75% total resistance to fire damage.

Cool. Thanks Dagmar. That's all I needed to know.

Adam Warlock

^ Won`t those figures change somewhat depending on your stage of Vampirism ?

Adam Warlock

Dagmar will have the right answer. A true sage imho.
My guess with the above 50%/50% rig is :
Stage 1 = 50% resist fire
Stage 2 = 25 % resist
Stage 3 = normal damage
Stage 4 = 25 % weakness

Medea probably knows this as well but I`m posting for the neophyte bloodsuckers out there.

Having some Resist Fire Potions as well as apparel enchants is always a good idea for vamps

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
With gear giving you 50% and 50% magic and fire resistance, I think you stick with the 50% magic resistance, and then the fire resistance is changed by your stages of vampirism. I believe it would make sense if the fire resistance 50% is additive (subtractive?) to your fire weakness. Because it is the same one piece fire resistance/weakness, then that is multiplied into the 50% magic resistance.

So in stage 1 you would have 50% magic resistance and 25% fire resistance (started at 50% and subtract the stage 1 vampirism weakness of 25%), meaning 62.5% fire resistance total (50 magic resistance times 1.25 fire resistance = 62.5 total resistance).

Stage 2 you would have 50% magic resistance and 0% fire resistance, meaning a total of 50% fire resistance. Stage 3 you would still have 50% magic resistance, and 25% fire weakness, meaning 37.5% fire resistance total. Stage 4 you still have 50% magic resistance, and 50% fire weakness, this puts you at 25% fire resistance.

I haven't tested this, but this is what makes sense to me. As Adam said, wait for Dagmar to dominate.

Adam Warlock

Thanks , Streets and Dagmar .

I was hoping that Resist Magic was better than Resist Fire for Vampires .

Now it`s time to decide which materials and forge to use in crafting my Vampire Lord`s Necklace and Ring of Nullification.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts