PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

ChicN Freak

Chicken of the Third Reich
You guys make good points and Zephlar, I was wondering if anyone would think of that idea ^^ Also, I DESPISE Xbox. lol. And by the way of errors, consoles barely get any :3 Except maybe Xbox, because their design is so crappy... RED RING OF FREAKING DEATH??!! WTF?! PS3 never fail :)

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
Well i started playing with the controller and the interface was pretty easy, and i play all my pc games with the controller, but in this one i still prefer the keyboard and mouse, because of the liberty you have when involves Easiness of the combat, tough i agree that the strafe thing is better on the controller, the controller is limited to only 2 quick access powers, and with the keyboard and mouse you can configure up to 8. Since i'm a mage type and i depend a lot on my powers, i was feeling that the controller didn't suit my needs, and when i switched back to keyboard and mouse i became a lot more effective in combats.
So ye in this type of games i still prefer keyboard and mouse, tough i like the controller too.

Lycan

Forest Crawler
Anyone have a program to use a ps3 controller for pc? I used to have one but if someone has a link offhand I'd appreciate it

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm PC in this one. I've played controller games and I'm not nearly as facile with them. There is fine movement I can achieve with a mouse that I can't get close to with a console controller. Whether this is lack of skill on my part or something written into the games, I'm not sure.

I played Dragon Age I and II on PC and one of the things I really disliked about II is that is felt like a console interface.

The other thing is I think you absolutely have to get a great mouse. I use a laptop for gaming and trying to WASD and use a touchpad is too cramped. I plug in my gaming mouse (which I also use for my graphics design work) then I can sit back a bit and have my shoulders open, if that makes sense. Makes for a much longer and more comfortable experience. My hand doesn't cramp and my thumbs are still speaking to me in the morning.

Mike Saltzman

I tried using my X-box 360 controller the first time I played Skyrim and it was just horrible. The right stick was turning my head so fast and it was so hard to look at what I wanted to that I started to get motion-sickness for swinging the view around all over the place.

Ah12321

I'd rather play with a controller. I think the sensitivity is easier to play on and deal with. I play on a PS3, which is a smaller controller compared to the X-Box controller. With they keyboard, you can have 'hotkeys' and can almost be quicker to use. But comparing everything, I prefer and I think the controller is better to play on.

ToadBacon

Dont eat toads. Do eat bacon!
I'm all about the controller, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable, I find that using a keyboard is noisier and more fiddly (yes I've got an old clunky keyboard :p)

Vanheille

the controller is limited to only 2 quick access powers, and with the keyboard and mouse you can configure up to 8.

Absolutely, this is a big downside of the controller.

I really wish that you could disable button designations (ie change camera) just so I don't accidentally hit it during combat and get flustered :p

If Skyrim was offered on Mac I would consider buying it again to compare controller to mouse & keyboard. Plus playing on console actually makes my lazy ass get up and go to the computer to look something up if need be rather than just alt-tabbing.

kalbuth

Mainly FPS player here, and avid fan of moddable games, so I'm naturally PC player.
For anything that needs aim, nothing can beat a mouse yet, it can achieve precision while still having speed that no current controller can do. Archery, aimed spells, outturning your opponent in fight while still hitting.
You may feel like having more control with a controller (huhu, hence the name ;) ), but it's slower, even more if you try to get the same precision than mouse.
Maybe, maybe, prediction shots on flying dragons may hit more... because you have less time to think with a controller, and shoot instinctively. I keep being thinking too much about "how to hit" with these freaking dragons, and keep shooting a quarter second before they take a sudden turn, and missing.

Kerzechtus

Power Gamer
I prefer mouse and keyboard all the way, but I have no choice playing on a ps3 lol.

J747L

Controller with more complex mapping options. This will sound weird but even though Skyrim has a 360 support for the PC I'm using Pinnacle game profiler to access the 1-8 hotkeys.

Unless I missed the 1-8 hotkeys for the default 360 setup. IIRC there are only only two (left and right Dpad with the up and down navigation for favorites)

Toddkay

I played about 30 hours of Skyrim on the Xbox before deciding to move my save game data to the PC. I've only played about an hour with a keyboard so far, and am already anxious to get a controller hooked up instead. I found sneaking effectively to be nearly impossible, and found navigating the menus clunky which I realize sounds silly since the arrow keys are all you really need. I guess I am just used to the feel of a controller.

PunWisp

War Mage
Preferably I like playing these kinds of games on PC. Mainly the fact of modding, and controls can be somewhat easier in some senses. I normally would pick 360 if I don't have my PC, or the mere fact of achievements. Though it is simpler on a console, these kinds of games face plenty of bugs. Performance bugs, or glitches. PC at least, things often can get smoother and easier, and with a modding community, they may come out with cool mods, or tweaks to make things better or easier.

wheato

Premium Member
I use a controller. I find it easier, probably because I play on a laptop while sitting on a sofa, and I only have the arm of the sofa to move my mouse on. I like the way the game plays with a controller.

iamkewl

I'm a PC gamer for sure, but this is the first game that I've wanted to get an Xbox controller for so I can sit back on my bed and play. With a big monitor (mine is 27") you have nothing to worry about.

mika

I'm a long time keyboard/mouse gamer, I swore by it and never understood the controller in FPS. But I had an extra controller for a sports game I play on the PC and decided to try it out with Skyrim and wow, I don't think I'll ever use a keyboaard/mouse for Skyrim.

P_SparQs

KB & Mouse are more intimate to me. I feel more connected and therefore more immersed with my trusty KB and Logitech Mouse.

Corey

For a game like Skyrim, I'm definitely a controller person. I couldn't imagine the difficulties of serious combat with a keyboard and mouse. But I suppose it wouldn't be that bad. I got use to WOW pretty quickly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts