Spoiler Do you feel bad at all now that you know where all those trapped souls go

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TheDreamersverse

Brit Fahiil Vahdin
I do.

Like I mentioned, I only fill black soul gems with people I want to "punish" or that I think truly deserve to go to the Soul Cairn. So, if I'm planning on capturing their soul, I'll cast Soul Trap on them. I do this so I don't mistakenly capture an average bandit loser or something.

I do enchant weapons to collect souls for me, but not if I have empty black soul gems on my person. I had on character that carried a spare weapon with the enchantment, though. That was late in the game and I had like... 15 empty black soul gems.

So tell me, would you send the Windhelm serial killer to the Soul Cairn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes he deserves the Soul Cairn.
But at the same time I never thought about this before, what about when you RP you do this and send people who deserve the Soul Cairn there.

JoeReese

I don't feel a bit bad. The only soul gems I ever carry/use are black soul gems, and I use those on necromancers.

I tend to have a lot of full soul gems, being that I use bound weapons for most of my "wandering" kills. Dual wielding Bound sword looks "pretty". Even knowing, I can't say it affects my playstyle much. I do try to keep a black gem for those guys that really irk me though.

My good characters never used soul gems anyway, in Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. The revelation of the Soul Cairn and the Ideal Masters didn't really do much other than vindicate their decisions.

I mean, think about it. It doesn't matter where the 'used souls' end up, what you're fundamentally doing is capturing somebody's soul and using it to fuel an enchantment. No matter which way you slice it, there's no way that can be considered to be a 'good thing'. That the remains of the soul end up in the Soul Cairn, to suffer for all eternity, isn't really the point. Prior to Dawnguard (though both the Ideal Masters and the Soul Cairn were featured in Battlespire), I had always assumed that the souls were simply 'consumed', and bound to a weapon or whatever, which is bad enough already.

When he dies, Alvor the Blacksmith deserves to go to Sovngarde and be with his departed relatives, and maybe meet up with his wife some day. He hasn't done anything to anybody, at least not that I know of. Does he deserve to have all of that taken away from him so that you can make your sword a bit better at poking draugr?

The use of white souls is only slightly less troublesome, as we don't really know anything about what happens to their souls after death. For all we know, those souls could just end up dissipating into nothingness if they aren't trapped.

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
My good characters never used soul gems anyway, in Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. The revelation of the Soul Cairn and the Ideal Masters didn't really do much other than vindicate their decisions.

I mean, think about it. It doesn't matter where the 'used souls' end up, what you're fundamentally doing is capturing somebody's soul and using it to fuel an enchantment. No matter which way you slice it, there's no way that can be considered to be a 'good thing'. That the remains of the soul end up in the Soul Cairn, to suffer for all eternity, isn't really the point. Prior to Dawnguard, I had always assumed that the souls were simply 'consumed', and bound to a weapon or whatever, which is bad enough already.

When he dies, Alvor the Blacksmith deserves to go to Sovngarde and be with his departed relatives, and maybe meet up with his wife some day. He hasn't done anything to anybody, at least not that I know of. Does he deserve to have all of that taken away from him so that you can make your sword a bit better at poking draugr?

The use of white souls is only slightly less troublesome, as we don't really know anything about what happens to their souls after death. For all we know, those souls could just end up dissipating into nothingness if they aren't trapped.
Meh... They were worthless in life. They may as well serve a purpose in death. And who really cares where their souls go, as long as I get mine.

I mean, think about it. It doesn't matter where the 'used souls' end up, what you're fundamentally doing is capturing somebody's soul and using it to fuel an enchantment. No matter which way you slice it, there's no way that can be considered to be a 'good thing'. That the remains of the soul end up in the Soul Cairn, to suffer for all eternity, isn't really the point. Prior to Dawnguard, I had always assumed that the souls were simply 'consumed', and bound to a weapon or whatever, which is bad enough already.

Meh... They were worthless in life. They may as well serve a purpose in death. And who really cares where their souls go, as long as I get mine.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if somebody soul trapped your mother and used her to add a minor health boost to their shirt...

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I wonder if you'd feel the same way if somebody soul trapped your mother and used her to add a minor health boost to their shirt...
Oh, definitely. You haven't met the bi***!

AJ Basco

Ask me Questions about Game Lore.
Honestly, I was never bothered about using black souls to charge plops because I was under the impression that the souls just ceased to exist. But, ever since I played the Dawnguard questline, I was so disturbed by black soulgems. Now, I only use the souls of mammoths and plops to charge my weapons because damn...sending someone to the soul cairn is a terrible, terrible thing to do.

On another note, the Soul Cairn was super creepy.

The thing is on my morally good character, I only use white souls for enchanting and on my morally evil character BLACK SOUL GEMS FOR DAYZ!!! So while I did kinda feel bad, because I already made that distinction I felt a lot less bad.

Unicrash

Did you talk to any of the npc in the Cairn? Many of them were idea thieves or swindlers, mercenaries, etc. there are a couple of good souls, probably the result of a necromancers research. But i feel like the majority had it coming.

But I usually play as a vampire warlock anyway, so that evil character couldn’t care less. But personally I’d say at least they’re not gone for good? In cases like the nightingales, or other groups, even sithis worshippers of the dark brotherhood-they’re all trapped as ghosts in some way. Soul binding or spoken oath.

Mmorton2

I run a soulthief, a custom build I designed originally for Oblivion. I found it works better in Skyrim. As a mage/assassin, she's an anti-hero at best since she soul traps Necromancers, bandits, conjurers, Stormcloaks, Forsworn, vampires, daedra, and Thalmor. Oh, and she collected the souls of the Dark Brotherhood crew, starting with Astrid. Knowing that I sent them all to the Soul Cairn once I enchanted new armor and weapons with the black soul gems I put them in just means they got what was coming to them and they served me better than they did Sithis and the Night Mother.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts