Do I forfeit Hjerim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dragonsbard

Pretty sure the only way you can forfeit Hjerim is if the "Blood on the Ice" quest bugs out before you can finish it or if you join the DB and kill Nilsine Shatter-Shield as part of one of the quests.

I completed blood on ice and Nilsine still lives but I am at a loss to what quest I am missing. I have the key to the house but I am not Thane to the city, did not buy it, and do not know how to decorate it. I am new to the game and have only played it the past few weeks.

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
It's impossible to forfeit Hjerim. If you join the Dark Brotherhood or not, if you finish (or even start) Blood on the Ice or not. Just become Thane and you can have the house and decorate it. Simple. I accidentally forfeited the Necromancer's amulet (I still did the quest though, it was really glitchy and weird but I did it!) by clearing up the murderer's mess before I got the amulet.

IrishRanger

To buy Hjerim you need to do a bunch of quests for Ulfric's steward. I don't remember if you actually need to join the stormcloaks or not.You can't decorate a house until you own it and then , for Hjerim, through the steward. Having the key doesn't make you the owner.

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
To buy Hjerim you need to do a bunch of quests for Ulfric's steward. I don't remember if you actually need to join the stormcloaks or not.You can't decorate a house until you own it and then , for Hjerim, through the steward. Having the key doesn't make you the owner.

Or, alternatively, do the Civil war and you end up as Thane.

Just sayin'.

IrishRanger

Or, alternatively, do the Civil war and you end up as Thane.

Just sayin'.
I've only played as Stormcloak (don't like Imperials) but I believe even which side you join doesn't affect getting the house. I think you do need to do the civil war before you can get it. It's been a long time since I've done this part of the game.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
I've only played as Stormcloak (don't like Imperials) but I believe even which side you join doesn't affect getting the house. I think you do need to do the civil war before you can get it. It's been a long time since I've done this part of the game.
I always play the Imperials' side and have no problems. If "Blood on the Ice" hasn't bugged, and Nilsine isn't dead (which can bug the same quest) then you do have to be Thane. You may even need to finish the civil war questline first, unless you're on PC and grab the Neutral Hjerim mod. With that mod you just have to finish Blood on the Ice and can forget about the civil war.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I always play the Imperials' side and have no problems. If "Blood on the Ice" hasn't bugged, and Nilsine isn't dead (which can bug the same quest) then you do have to be Thane. You may even need to finish the civil war questline first, unless you're on PC and grab the Neutral Hjerim mod. With that mod you just have to finish Blood on the Ice and can forget about the civil war.
If you're in the Imperial Legion you have to complete the Battle for Windhelm. i.e. complete the entire Imperial Legion quest line, and if you're in the Stormcloaks you have to complete the Battle for Whiterun and Rescue from Fort Neugrad.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
If you're in the Imperial Legion you have to complete the Battle for Windhelm. i.e. complete the entire Imperial Legion quest line, and if you're in the Stormcloaks you have to complete the Battle for Whiterun and Rescue from Fort Neugrad.
Ah okay. Knew it was something like that. Probably the best thing would be just to refer the OP to the wiki article. Skyrim:Hjerim - UESPWiki

Darchangel21

Pretty sure the only way you can forfeit Hjerim is if the "Blood on the Ice" quest bugs out before you can finish it or if you join the DB and kill Nilsine Shatter-Shield as part of one of the quests.
Nope, I killed Nilsine for the DB quest and I still got Hjerim. No bugs either.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts