• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

shwick2

answer the poll and state your reason for yes/no

I did because I'm a cheap, selfish, miserly bastard who won't pay for anything if possible.

I have to make up the investment on my 6950 2GB by pirating lots of new awesome games.

I have paid for some pc games but only when forced to by online play like SC2, BC2, etc.

Static

I bought it, simply because you can tell the staff at Bethesda put a lot of money into this game, and because my local game store is one of the few independent ones anywhere near me and I like to support indie stores.

Opium_Bunny

I pirated mine, and it is not because money was an issue. I already have a copy I bought new for the PS3.

I spend money wisely, and I reasonably ask myself if 60 bucks is worth going towards a game that has no productive nor memorable contribution to my life. I just got back from Italy, and I think to myself...see 60 bucks in Italy you will be able to see the Coliseum, St. Peter's Basilica, the Spanish Steps, take a train from Rome to Florence, have coffee sitting by a fountain under the Leaning Tower of Pisa, have dinner, and pay for a taxi back home. All of that within one day in Italy for under 60 dollars...not too shabby. OR that 60 dollars could go towards paying for a room at a nice inn for one night in Venice...or ...you can buy dinner for a homeless person instead of giving it to a corporation.

Either way, there will ALWAYS be a good population who LOVES LOVES a game enough to pay 60 dollars for it, that's fine. Heck I stood in line waiting for Uncharted 3 to be released because i LOVE LOVE that game, but only so because I have traveled to many of those places already and I enjoy the memories it brings me. Whatever people's reasoning is for pirating, it comes down to whether or not a game is (to them) valued at 60 dollars. If the marginal benefits outweigh the marginal costs...then yes go for it!!

redrkt

Premium Member
If everyone pirated the game, there would be no Bethesda OR any TES games since there would be no money for them. Also you people actually feel that stealing something is ok because you already bought another version??? Theft is Theft regardless of how it is done

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
If everyone pirated the game, there would be no Bethesda OR any TES games since there would be no money for them. Also you people actually feel that stealing something is ok because you already bought another version??? Theft is Theft regardless of how it is done
Read the third sentence in Opium_Bunny's post.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
Redrkt, you seriously disappoint me in your inability to grasp the concept that people only pirate to see if a product is worth buying.

XbSuper

Redrkt, you seriously disappoint me in your inability to grasp the concept that people only pirate to see if a product is worth buying.

That's really not why most people pirate. Also, even if, after playing the pirated version, they think the game is worth $60, why would they spend it when they already have the game for free? I agree, stealing is stealing, no matter how you try to justify it.

Reactions: Niq

redrkt

Premium Member
Really??? are you really that naive?? people only pirate to see if something is worth buying!!!!! LOL LOL LOL thank you very much for the comedy relief tonight. Now wake up and smell the pirated software..... have you ever heard of MEGAUPLOAD???? or The Pirate Bay? AND people don't illegally download music either do they?

Opium_Bunny

Call it what you will...but...I don't really care if there is no Bethesda? I know it sounds cold, but I would rather prioritize that 60 dollars towards something else, like charity...than a video game.

You can call me a thief...among other things...doesn't really matter. If there were no video games AT ALL, I would think...oh ok...and just continue my day.

For example some of you guys think it is completely illogical to spend 500 dollars on a purse, but for me...it is more than just a bag that "holds things". It comes down to priorities, some people have a certain threshold for certain things. A video game is just not worth 60 dollars, if it was 30 it would make more sense to me.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Real fans of the Elder scrolls series "NEVER" Pirate such an awesome game like this... ~.~ It's not like $60 bucks is alot of money anyways...

It's not $60 everywhere. Here in Australia new games are seldom under 120, which is even more in America since the Australian dollar is higher now. I didn't pirate it myself, but just wanted to state this fact.

redrkt

Premium Member
Call it what you will...but...I don't really care if there is no Bethesda? I know it sounds cold, but I would rather prioritize that 60 dollars towards something else, like charity...than a video game.

You can call me a thief...among other things...doesn't really matter. If there were no video games AT ALL, I would think...oh ok...and just continue my day.

For example some of you guys think it is completely illogical to spend 500 dollars on a purse, but for me...it is more than just a bag that "holds things". It comes down to priorities, some people have a certain threshold for certain things. A video game is just not worth 60 dollars, if it was 30 it would make more sense to me.

I understand priorities, but having been in business for myself for over 30 years now I also understand the cost of running a business, I spend an average of $5K to $6K a year upgrading my software for my business and part of that cost is to cover people who pirate software or what ever, because a business has to recoup losses like that from somewhere. AND did you know that Software Piracy alone runs in the Billions of dollars a year?

Using your example about a $500 purse, would you buy a knockoff of that purse just because it was cheaper or would you buy the real thing? no difference, except that the company that made the real purse could go out of business because of it, ergo more people unemployed and people like me who do it legally paying their way. But, I guess that does not bother you does it?

Also did you ever consider the cost of hiring people who do the programming of video games or any software for that matter? What should they work for free?

Jaeger

Really??? are you really that naive?? people only pirate to see if something is worth buying!!!!! LOL LOL LOL thank you very much for the comedy relief tonight. Now wake up and smell the pirated software..... have you ever heard of MEGAUPLOAD???? or The Pirate Bay? AND people don't illegally download music either do they?

Well, there are those people who don't have plops - Romania, Russia, Yugoslavia, the US, etc. People who couldn't buy the game even if they wanted because 60 dollars is 2 weeks at the grind.

Me, I bought it twice - once for the PS3 and big screener/surround sound; one for the gaming PC because of the mods (which the gaming company didn't do anything for...hmmm....).

Opium_Bunny

I understand priorities, but having been in business for myself for over 30 years now I also understand the cost of running a business, I spend an average of $5K to $6K a year upgrading my software for my business and part of that cost is to cover people who pirate software or what ever, because a business has to recoup losses like that from somewhere. AND did you know that Software Piracy alone runs in the Billions of dollars a year?

I understand the loss of profits, however I am curious about the billions of dollars you are talking about...is there a source to this?
I've only played three video games in my life: The Sims, Uncharted (series), and recently...Skyrim. I've bought all games including series' and all 12 expansions brand new, I do try to support the industry...WHEN I can...otherwise I would buy used. I Pirate the PC version of Skyrim because it is unrealistic to expect someone to pay twice for the same game. Yes maybe if you spend more than 6 hours a day playing this video game, then I can see why it would make sense. I spend a total of 5 hours a week playing a game...whereas I spend more than 40 hours a week outside the house with the purse...hence purse>Skyrim.

I would not hate on a woman for buying a fake label. Why should I feel bad that a corporation is losing millions of dollars a year while exploiting poor Chinese workers who get no benefits and are treated like animals? I wouldn't spend money on a fake...but I don't judge others for it. I do get what you are saying =].

Jaeger

Why should I feel bad that a corporation is losing millions of dollars a year while exploiting poor Chinese workers who get no benefits and are treated like animals?

You think they want free plops too?

How about when they don't pay their taxes or threaten to move (and disrupt their employees lives) when they don't get freebies from the civil municipality.

I understand the loss of profits, however I am curious about the billions of dollars you are talking about...is there a source to this?
I've only played three video games in my life: The Sims, Uncharted (series), and recently...Skyrim. I've bought all games including series' and all 12 expansions brand new, I do try to support the industry...WHEN I can...otherwise I would buy used. I Pirate the PC version of Skyrim because it is unrealistic to expect someone to pay twice for the same game. Yes maybe if you spend more than 6 hours a day playing this video game, then I can see why it would make sense. I spend a total of 5 hours a week playing a game...whereas I spend more than 40 hours a week outside the house with the purse...hence purse>Skyrim.

I would not hate on a woman for buying a fake label. Why should I feel bad that a corporation is losing millions of dollars a year while exploiting poor Chinese workers who get no benefits and are treated like animals? I wouldn't spend money on a fake...but I don't judge others for it. I do get what you are saying =].
So you bought it for ps3 why get a second copy thats pirated for pc??

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts