• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Aside from Irileth and Faleen, I can't think of any other non-Nord housecarls in Skyrim and there's definitely no others for the Dragonborn. So, why is she in Skyrim and working as a housecarl? Irileth and Faleen work for Jarls, so it's almost understandable. Rayya was probably indebted or something and that's why she was assigned to a Thane.

I've been trying to come up with a good story for her and I was curious if anyone else bothered to think of one?

By the way, if this has been discussed, my apologizes and please share the link to the thread!

Saozig

Hippy
Perhaps she's a former mercenary who's just looking for a steady gig.

Or a disgraced Alik'r warrior who feels she cannot return to Hammerfell without facing scorn and mockery from her countrymen and women.

Or maybe she used to be an adventurer but then took an arrow to the knee. :p (sorry, couldn't resist.)

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Hah! I like that. I've always imagined she got into some sort of trouble, so she fled to Skyrim, then got into some more trouble in Falkreath and when Siddgeir couldn't be bothered, Nenya took pity and made her be a housecarl for a Thane rather than whatever her punishment should have been.

Or she's related to Zaria, the Redguard who runs the alchemy shop.

Saozig

Hippy
Well, they are related in a sense--they're both done by the same voice actor, Susan Ivanova, I mean, Claudia Christian. :p (I'm a big Babylon 5 fan, so she'll always be Ivanova to me)

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I have no love for B5, it's true. It wasn't the worst show in the world, but it wasn't the greatest, either. But I didn't know Claudia Christian did so many voices. I know she did Iona and Rayya because they used some of the same dialogue files.

And it's totally possible she's native to Skyrim via immigrated parents. The options are endless which is why I'm surprised more people haven't considered giving her a back story.

Adam Warlock

agreed that at least a couple of the housecarls ought to have a back story or some background dialogue other than " Oh a cave ! I wonder what`s inside ?"

Besides Lydia`s characteristic whining , they are all so stiff and vanilla it`s only their considerable power that makes them desirable followers.
perhaps marriage dialogue makes them more interesting

Other than her looks , the only thing exotic about Rayya is that she dual-wields

Bethesda disappointed when no additional housecarl was added with the Dragonborn DLC even though you can get a house in Solstheim
It was a great chance for a Dunmer housecarl to be introduced

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
agreed that at least a couple of the housecarls ought to have a back story or some background dialogue other than " Oh a cave ! I wonder what`s inside ?"

Besides Lydia`s characteristic whining , they are all so stiff and vanilla it`s only their considerable power that makes them desirable followers.
perhaps marriage dialogue makes them more interesting

Other than her looks , the only thing exotic about Rayya is that she dual-wields

Bethesda disappointed when no additional housecarl was added with the Dragonborn DLC even though you can get a house in Solstheim
It was a great chance for a Dunmer housecarl to be introduced
I'm with you a 100%. The housecarls are just...there. It would have been nice to have a little side quest for the housecarls or something.

To be honest, I have trouble stripping Rayya of her scimitars... I've upgraded them to legendary and enchanted them. It's just the only thing that makes her the least bit interesting. It always makes me laugh when a guard says something about curved swords! :D

carz101

The Steve Of Skyrim!
When they say stuff about curved swords, I nearly always think, yeah, but those swords cant hold their own against my (insert enchanted super upgraded sword here) then I realize, its not about how well they work, its about how awesome they look. Happens every time too.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts