• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

golso

I've been trying DB questline just for a looksee rather than with a proper character and dang is it mucked up! I probably wouldn't go for it from a proper RPG point of view because not only is it squick inducing but the brotherhood's justifications for the assassinations seem pretty pretentious. I do like how nice (and easy to get to!) their base is compared to the thieves' guild though.

Nighthiker77

I always go in the cistern from the secret entrance at the temple of mara, then 1/4 counterclockwise into the ragged flagon instead of through the ratway. I'm about to the point now where I can upgrade the cistern and I can't wait to see it. Once I get tired of the regular game I am going to try to improve the sanctuaries but I've never done any mods and it doesn't look very easy

I always go in the cistern from the secret entrance at the temple of mara, then 1/4 counterclockwise into the ragged flagon instead of through the ratway. I'm about to the point now where I can upgrade the cistern and I can't wait to see it. Once I get tired of the regular game I am going to try to improve the sanctuaries but I've never done any mods and it doesn't look very easy

Same, you can fast travel right to it. It's a little neat really.
I completed the main quest for them but still have side jobs to do, I didn't know you could upgrade the cistern.

Nighthiker77

I think it upgrades automatically as you finish the reputation quests in each city after enough side quests. It won't cost you $20k like the Dawnstar Sanctuary does(even though it's basically free if you spend your quest reward)

golso

Same, you can fast travel right to it. It's a little neat really.
I completed the main quest for them but still have side jobs to do, I didn't know you could upgrade the cistern.
I meant that in order to get to the ragged flagon you have to first have a loading screen getting into riften/fast travelling and then have a loading screen into the cistern and then another into the flagon... running about I can deal with but too many loading screens drive me up the wall

I meant that in order to get to the ragged flagon you have to first have a loading screen getting into riften/fast travelling and then have a loading screen into the cistern and then another into the flagon... running about I can deal with but too many loading screens drive me up the wall

If only a elder scrolls with no loading screens.. or just 1 initial loading screen. Maybe some day.. :sadface:

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Am I the only one that destroyed the dark brotherhood?
I initially started the dark brotherhood quest after people recommended doing so because it's "funner" or you "make more money" but after dropping a gargoyle on some bride's head I finally told myself.. Nah, this isn't me. I know it's just a game, but it's an RPG, and willfully playing a character that is totally the opposite of my character was ruining my immersion. So I loaded an older save and chopped that astrid biatch to pieces and stole her stuff including the key, let the captives go and happily skipped out the door, I don't care how much more money I would make with the dark brotherhood, it isn't worth playing a piece of pl*** that kills innocent people for dumb unjustified reasons for a little coin, that isn't what my rebel nord stands for. Besides.. I have a lot more fun playing the peter pan role stealing from the rich snobs anyway.
All depends on the role you are playing, I've made character's devoted to the brotherhood, others who despise it, and some who do what ever they need to to get money, all personal prefrence, don't let the money guide you though (unless that's your character's motivation of course).

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
The only one in the entire Questline I truly thought should of died, is Grelod.

The rest didn't seem like they truly deserved to die, so yea. I killed the Brotherhood.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
i think the main problem here is atheism, atheists are far far more likely to join the dark brotherhood because they lack a lot of morals that people that accept god as their creator, god is true, i assure you that, ive talked to him myself, not with my lips, not with my mind, but with energy. lets face it, a lot of roleplayers are atheists and are gonna go to hell. i can go through this thread and tell you who is 100% a atheists but i wont but the majority are atheists so its only natural the majority are in the dark brotherhood..

tumblr_m89j3jDHtk1r60moa.gif

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
The only one in the entire Questline I truly thought should of died, is Grelod.

The rest didn't seem like they truly deserved to die, so yea. I killed the Brotherhood.
Lol I hated the final Contract haha He was such a good man.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Please do not bring your own religious beliefs in to a gaming situation. Religion does not belong in the public forum, except in the case of the ficitional religions as covered in the context of the RPG environment. It is simply insulting to assume that you can derive a person's personal belief system based upon posting on an online forum that based, on the whole on a video game. Your personal belief system is your own business, as is mine - no one elses. You have not cause to be making such judgments. By the way, before you accuse me of being "athiest" or anything else - ask youself if you would appreciate being judged simply on this one post or on any other post that you may have made. Perhaps it would be enlightening for the rest of us to perouse your posting history and make judgment comments based on what you have written?

k+thanks+4+the+input+none+mexican+sounding+username+_1bea7032e8835d4fd2129f304072093c.gif

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Please do not bring your own religious beliefs in to a gaming situation. Religion does not belong in the public forum, except in the case of the ficitional religions as covered in the context of the RPG environment. It is simply insulting to assume that you can derive a person's personal belief system based upon posting on an online forum that based, on the whole on a video game. Your personal belief system is your own business, as is mine - no one elses. You have not cause to be making such judgments. By the way, before you accuse me of being "athiest" or anything else - ask youself if you would appreciate being judged simply on this one post or on any other post that you may have made. Perhaps it would be enlightening for the rest of us to perouse your posting history and make judgment comments based on what you have written?

Eleventh quoted someone else... I also doubt she would accuse you being an atheist as an insult, considering I never found her to be very religious in the first place. So you just bad mannered someone, and then went off at them because they quoted some random religious comment of another forum member and placed a gif as a response. I think you got yourself confused on who you're going off at, because I don't see a connection from Doctor who gif and atheism. Unless I'm missing something?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Eleventh quoted someone else... I also doubt she would accuse you being an atheist as an insult, considering I never found her to be very religious in the first place. So you just bad mannered someone, and then went off at them because they quoted some random religious comment of another forum member and placed a gif as a response. I think you got yourself confused on who you're going off at, because I don't see a connection from Doctor who gif and atheism. Unless I'm missing something?
Then I was in complete error and my apologies are hopefully accepted. Both the reputation and the critical post have been removed.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Both the reply and the reputation have been removed and I hope that you will accept my apologies for any distress that this has caused you. It was not my intention to be insulting or to cause friction. I simply have an issue with the public airing of religious beliefs that are unrelated to actual subject matter.

I do humbly apologize.

Moirai

*major spoilers ahoy*

First post here, so 'hi' to all. :)

On my first playthough I destroyed the DB. My character (and I) just couldn't reconcile joining an organisation that was prepared to kill in such an arbitrary manner. That, and they had been attempting to kill me for quite a while. On my second playthrough I decided to join, mainly to see what all the fuss was about, since most people agreed that it was one of the best quest lines.

Overall, I have to say that I'm glad that I played it. But that's not to say that it wasn't distinctly unpleasant and uncomfortable in places.

First up was killing Vittoria, on what should have been the happiest day of her life, right in front of her love. Yuck! I actually stopped playing for a while after that and spent quite some time internally debating with myself on whether to continue, it sickened me so much. Virtual, it may be. But it's the though that counts, as they say.

However, that was also a turning point for my character, and they (and I) became a lot more hardened to the concept of non-emotional contract killing.

My next 'unpleasant' kill was putting Astrid out of her misery. Standing over her like that, with her all burnt, her eyes staring right into mine, silently pleading with me for forgiveness and death, was kind of disturbing, to say the least, and still sends a bit of a shiver down my spine when I think about it. There's nothing quite as unsettling as staring into someone's eyes as you take their life and watch them die.

Lastly, killing the emperor. Well, he was just so...calm and resigned, that it made the situation rather surreal and uncomfortable. I just didn't enjoy killing someone who could display bravery like that. It made me feel 'dirty'.

All that said and done though, I'm glad I played the quest line, because it was extremely well done. So I have to agree with those who said as much.

However, my most intensive dislike for the DB quest line isn't arguably even part of it. It's within the 'aftermath', and it's the torture room upgrade for the Dawnstar Sanctuary.

I did pre-save and buy every upgrade blindly just to check them out before making a final decision, and I have to say I was rather sickened at what Bethesda had included. Seriously. You'd have to have a real unpleasant sadistic streak for real to even spend a minute of your gaming time torturing hapless virtual victims.

I'm sorry, if that sounds overly judgemental or if anyone is offended by the statement. But I found the inclusion of that in the game to be unconscionable and thought of even using it utterly offensive and repugnant.

If my character is going to be an assassin, then it is a totally professional act for her. There is no love, no hate, no sadism; just the pleasure gained from a clean hit and a job well done. She does not need to indulge herself in wanton hateful cruelty for the sake of it.

In my mind, bad Bethesda for even encouraging anyone to do so... -_-

Anyway, if you got this far, thanks for reading. ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts