• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Karen

boop.
I really like the idea of the (original) Dark Brotherhood, and it's still my favorite faction to date, but Astrid turned the Sanctuary into a bunch of cutthroats and bandits, essentially. I'm not sorry she's dead, but I don't like that there's so little to be done with the Dawnstar Sanctuary. With Astrid out of the way and a Listener back in place, I hoped that we actually got to rebuild The Dark Brotherhood and be what it was supposed to be - a structured cult with it's own rules and traditions.

But back to your question, I've never tried disbanding it myself - it just didn't seem worth it and none of my characters are so morally upright that they'd seek out the assassins with such a small reward. I'd either join it or just not touch it altogether.

Yeah Its one of those things. I wasn't starting an argument those were just statements, though the joke at the beginning was really bad.

But there definitely is at times a roleplay difference or natural adversion to things. Though the real reason the majority like the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests is the set pieces there are. You talked of dropping the gargoyle on the Bride, well you could also sniper her and there is even a unique bow waiting for you are the sniper spot. So I mean Its to bad you don't like our little family :p But in the end who can dictate what is right or wrong in these playthroughs. Unless its Imperial or Stromcloaks... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Haha yeah, I wasn't specifically referring to you, I think a few people might feel at least a little defensive though. That is the beauty of games like this though, you choose what is right or wrong, and you can choose the path of right or wrong, because it is roleplaying, it all depends on what kind of character you want to play and the dark brotherhood doesn't fit my character. I'm not saying my character is moral by any means though, hehe. ;)

Also Karen might also be right, maybe I just joined the dark brotherhood at a bad time, when it's being lead by a power hungry paranoid psychopath, I did see a text on a loading screen once that said something about how the dark brotherhood had abandoned it's set of rules or something. Still though.. There's still the matter of that damn jester.. now there's someone I wouldn't mind assassinating. :D

Karen

boop.
Cicero's actually my favorite character in the game. :) To each their own, though, and I've long understood that he's not everyone's cup of tea (I mean, a lot of people want to see him dead), but I think he's one of the most tragic characters in the game, and every time I do the questline, I definitely make sure he's my character's travel companion.

And yes, this is definitely a bad time for the DB, but even so, the parts that you seem to be against are still the core of the organization - you need to be able to kill indiscriminately and not be influenced by emotions for the targets.

That is true, when I am making decisions in the game that can change my path I am always considering what is morally justifiable, part of the reason I think is because when I made the character I made him to be as much like me as possible, plops he looks almost exactly like me in real life and I even named him after me, hahaha. I have been wanting to make a khajiit character though, and I think a sneak/archer/assassin combo would fit him well, and I probably wouldn't care who he killed for the most part. I have to try to emerse myself into the game otherwise it's zero fun for me, and I think the DB quest just interrupted that.

Karen

boop.
Yeah, I find it better for immersion to have multiple characters - my first character just did everything, and it didn't really make sense that she was Dragonborn and Listener and Harbinger, etc. and was being simultaneously evil and a hero, so I started making separate characters for each faction, that way I don't have to be so morally ambiguous.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Yeah, I find it better for immersion to have multiple characters - my first character just did everything, and it didn't really make sense that she was Dragonborn and Listener and Harbinger, etc. and was being simultaneously evil and a hero, so I started making separate characters for each faction, that way I don't have to be so morally ambiguous.

now-will-uz-marry-me-pweeze.jpg
lol sorry couldn't resist.

ShadowHunter

I can never destroy the Dark Brotherhood, even with my good characters. The reason is Shadowmere, the best horse in the game!

The only reason to destroy the Dark Brotherhood that I can think of is Nazir's clothes

gangraad

dragonguard
Am I the only one that destroyed the dark brotherhood?
I initially started the dark brotherhood quest after people recommended doing so because it's "funner" or you "make more money" but after dropping a gargoyle on some bride's head I finally told myself.. Nah, this isn't me. I know it's just a game, but it's an RPG, and willfully playing a character that is totally the opposite of my character was ruining my immersion. So I loaded an older save and chopped that astrid biatch to pieces and stole her stuff including the key, let the captives go and happily skipped out the door, I don't care how much more money I would make with the dark brotherhood, it isn't worth playing a piece of pl*** that kills innocent people for dumb unjustified reasons for a little coin, that isn't what my rebel nord stands for. Besides.. I have a lot more fun playing the peter pan role stealing from the rich snobs anyway.

I feel exactly the same way. Killing innocent people and torturing just isn't my cup of tea. I do enjoy destroying the brotherhood though.

Funny though how people hate the empire for trying to kill you in the beginning, yet condone how the brotherhood does business, hypocrites. I can't remember how many timew the brotherhood have tried to end my days, both in skyrim and tribunal.

If you want a man dead, do it yourself!

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
After my character escaped Helgen I let her join the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. She was just a bad guy who didn't care much about the law - especially after the Imperials tried to decapitate her.
After a few months she discovered her "power". She appeared to be the dragonborn. That was when she turned her life around. She left the Guild and the Dawnstar sanctuary and became a better person. End of story xD

That's how I made myself feel better about joining the Dark Brotherhood. I wanted my dragonborn to be a good person but I also wanted the awesome armor and Shadowmere. :Dragonborn:

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Peter pan never stole... your thinking of Robin Hood...
I feel exactly the same way. Killing innocent people and torturing just isn't my cup of tea. I do enjoy destroying the brotherhood though.

Funny though how people hate the empire for trying to kill you in the beginning, yet condone how the brotherhood does business, hypocrites. I can't remember how many timew the brotherhood have tried to end my days, both in skyrim and tribunal.

If you want a man dead, do it yourself!
Torture isn't something you have to do and is a prologue reward... I also don't see the Hypocrisy. People see the empire as a government so that's why they are mad. The only reason the Dark Brotherhood is sent after you is because you pissed someone off... Comparing a government to a "Cult of Assassins" is kinda apples to Oranges don't you think?

gangraad

dragonguard
Peter pan never stole... your thinking of Robin Hood...

Torture isn't something you have to do and is a prologue reward... I also don't see the Hypocrisy. People see the empire as a government so that's why they are mad. The only reason the Dark Brotherhood is sent after you is because you pissed someone off... Comparing a government to a "Cult of Assassins" is kinda apples to Oranges don't you think?

well we don't know why we ended up with the head on the block so, no. Killing another because he/she pissed someone off, well ain't that a just cause. The brotherhood is a bunch of thugs and murderes, nothing more.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
well we don't know why we ended up with the head on the block so, no. Killing another because he/she pissed someone off, well ain't that a just cause. The brotherhood is a bunch of thugs and murderes, nothing more.

I suppose all the Stormcloaks or Imperials would say that about the Dovahkiin depending on which side you took. Also in Theory you kill so many things that are just defending their territory why? because they piss you off... and I am not talking about people...

As for Thugs and Murderers... Well that is what they have been reduced to. And Thugs I think could apply to the Thieves Guild... And honestly if you haven't noticed (or didn't know) the Dark Brotherhood Recruitment has also gotten more strenuous. You can't just join anymore you have to be selected. The fact you have that opinion shows how far the Brotherhood must have fallen quite far. Also you forget the 5 tenets which, I of course assume because such a minor detail wouldn't get programed in, get reinstated with the return of the listener. That is what always sets groups like the Morag Tong, Dark Brotherhood, and Thieves Guild apart from other groups and freelancers... Standards...

gangraad

dragonguard
I suppose all the Stormcloaks or Imperials would say that about the Dovahkiin depending on which side you took. Also in Theory you kill so many things that are just defending their territory why? because they piss you off... and I am not talking about people...

As for Thugs and Murderers... Well that is what they have been reduced to. And Thugs I think could apply to the Thieves Guild... And honestly if you haven't noticed (or didn't know) the Dark Brotherhood Recruitment has also gotten more strenuous. You can't just join anymore you have to be selected. The fact you have that opinion shows how far the Brotherhood must have fallen quite far. Also you forget the 5 tenets which, I of course assume because such a minor detail wouldn't get programed in, get reinstated with the return of the listener. That is what always sets groups like the Morag Tong, Dark Brotherhood, and Thieves Guild apart from other groups and freelancers... Standards...

ok, let's say the 5 tenents are reinstated, in my view, their standards are still very low. They kill for profit, innocent or not, no questions asked.

You could argue that the Morag Tong have a somewhat higher standard, atleast they have a political purpose acting as the great houses assassin wars instead of waging all out wars amongst themselves.

To me the Brotherhood and their Mephela mummy will never be honorable in any extent.

As for the hypocrasy, 'i don't care if they are innocent, as long as I get paid' - my guess is the headsman thinks the same, when he swings the axe.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
When is killing justified? you seem held up on the details of what they do? The Dark Brotherhood does kill for a slightly greater purpose. But if you don't like why they act... In the end its a matter of Idealism vs Cynicism. And I think that is why the Dark Brotherhood is popular. Cynicism thrives.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
ok, let's say the 5 tenents are reinstated, in my view, their standards are still very low. They kill for profit, innocent or not, no questions asked.

You could argue that the Morag Tong have a somewhat higher standard, atleast they have a political purpose acting as the great houses assassin wars instead of waging all out wars amongst themselves.

To me the Brotherhood and their Mephela mummy will never be honorable in any extent.

As for the hypocrasy, 'i don't care if they are innocent, as long as I get paid' - my guess is the headsman thinks the same, when he swings the axe.
Well, honor is a matter of perspective. Following through on a contract can be considered honorable. Following orders can be considered honorable. There's even honor amongst thieves.

It's a game. You kill all the time w/out worrying about it. Why not get paid for it. No one is innocent. As long as I don't have to kill babies, I'll do it for the money.

Bluebaron

I destroyed the dark brotherhood with my khajiit warrior , The only thing I wish I had was shadowmere unfortunately I dont have a chance to get him . Perhaps if I start a new character sometime I will join the dark brotherhood . I have almost 10 million gold septims so going way back is not a option with my khajiit besides it has taken me over a year of playing skyrim to get where I am at level 83 I only made block legendary so far since my playing time is quite limited due to my job keeping me away from home most of the time . I sometimes regret killing off the dark brotherhood but when I killed astrid at the time it felt good since I got sick of the assassination attempts on my khajiits life .

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I destroyed the dark brotherhood with my khajiit warrior , The only thing I wish I had was shadowmere unfortunately I dont have a chance to get him . Perhaps if I start a new character sometime I will join the dark brotherhood . I have almost 10 million gold septims so going way back is not a option with my khajiit besides it has taken me over a year of playing skyrim to get where I am at level 83 I only made block legendary so far since my playing time is quite limited due to my job keeping me away from home most of the time . I sometimes regret killing off the dark brotherhood but when I killed astrid at the time it felt good since I got sick of the assassination attempts on my khajiits life .
I'm assuming you're not on console. 10 Million Septims! How on Tamreil!

Rickysousa

IL Mentore
Im Kinda SUPER OCD about cleanliness and organization, so if my character has the quest "Talk to Aventus Arentino" in the Misq box it will gnaw at me untill i complete it, so if my character isnt an assassin or even an archer at all, I have to destroy the DB because it gets me some fast cash and eliminates the questline.... thats why i wish Skyrim had the ability to remove quests from your journal, like it just resets the dialogue options or something... DRIVES ME NUTS

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts