• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dawnguard or Volkihar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The dawnguard have a weapon that keeps track of the vampires you kill with it. I thought that was cool.

Cazimir

Dawnguard, because blocking out the sun breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
If you followed the actual story you soon realize that you, as the new vampire lord, and Serana eventually rebel against her father, Harkon like what Arillious pointed out on his latest post. In fact you still hunt vampires if you side with the Volkihar clan.

Harkon's little coven are also terrible. The world is a far richer place for their absence.

feliciano182

Isran's an extremist, but he's far more reasonable than Harkon. He lets vampires like Serana (and myself) hang around. He's not a sweetiepie, but he's not a bad person.

I didn't clarify that I love Isran actually, I do believe he's a little crazy, and it's precisely his methods which make you think if joining The Dawnguard was the right choice after all, quite excellent indeed.

JDStang

I am the only one here that thinks this but i prefer Vampires. Dawn guard have no right to eliminate a race from Tamriel and I think that Vampires soon as they were here before Nords or Imperials or any other race they have a right to rule.

I will agree with you on this one... plus if ur an assassin type player the Vamps are totally the way to go!

CaptMorgan72

I can understand why people may think that the Volkihar clan are evil, especially when you first enter the castle with Serana. The sight of evil was everywhere. You have barely alive people laying on the table with venomous vampires about to chow down on them. You have people locked inside cages used only for extracting blood from them until they become too weak to even stand up.

However when I stop and think about it.... Are they truly that evil? Sure Harkon was pretty insane for wanting to block out the sun, but still. Vampires hunt humans for the sole purpose for food. Isn't that circle of life? A complete balance of nature? If a bear kills a human and then eats it.... is the bear evil?

In my game as a Vampire lord and as the Dragonborn with connections from Jarls of each hold I've secretly made an alliance. If theirs feral vampires causing trouble with the mortals that we are to take care of them, and not the guards.

Consider my character to be the "vampire police" where I'm the new Lord of Castle Volkihar.

The human cattle that was locked up was replaced with high risk prisoners (mostly death row inmates) who came from each hold (except for Markarth) in Skyrim. The Jarls (in secret) agreed that if we provide them with protection against feral vampires that they would give us in return their death row prisoners. So instead of Rargal Thrallmaster hunting down innocent people he goes to the hold and collects available inmates to bring back to the castle.

This is exactly how I role play the scenario too. I think its awesome that somebody else is doing the same thing. I was inspired by Underworld:Rise of the Lycans. In that movie Victor and his vampires lived in a huge castle and was not only accepted by the human kingdoms but were depended on for protection from the werewolves. The humans would bring Victor gifts and gold in exchange for protection.

jcurr25

My main/first character had to be dawnguard as I consider them the more "moral" of the 2 sides, despite how sticky of a topic that is, but I love playing the quests in skyrim from both sides so I am definitely playing as a vamp in my next character.

phoebe

I haven't sided with the Dawnguard yet, but I am pretty sure I'd still prefer siding with the vampires. I just find it a really fun aspect of the game. Skyrim isn't real life and joining the dark side in a video game doesn't make you evil or immoral. Video games for a lot of people (if not most of the people who play them) are a way to escape reality. And besides, feeding on people in Skyrim doesn't have to kill them and even if it did, how is killing to survive worse than killing for money (which you need to survive)? They're kind of the same thing.

But at any rate, different strokes for different folks. No need to fight, everyone has different preferences :)

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Dawnguard
-Armored Trolls
-Dawnguard Rune Weapons (Shield, War Axe, and War Hammer)
-Dwarven Crossbow
-Huskies
-Sun Spells (can be gotten by those that side with Volkhair if sufficient level calm spells are used on vendors, before you destroy the dawnguard)

Volkhair
-Better access to Soul Cairn
-Death Hounds
-Vampire Blessing
-Vampire Rings and Amulets

jcurr25

Dawnguard
-Armored Trolls
-Dawnguard Rune Weapons (Shield, War Axe, and War Hammer)
-Dwarven Crossbow
-Huskies
-Sun Spells (can be gotten by those that side with Volkhair if sufficient level calm spells are used on vendors, before you destroy the dawnguard)

Volkhair
-Better access to Soul Cairn
-Death Hounds
-Vampire Blessing
-Vampire Rings and Amulets
can you get the crossbow if you go with the vampires?

Haru17

Lost Falmer
can you get the crossbow if you go with the vampires?

Only the standard steel one that you get initially. They can only be forged in the dawnguard's forge and you only learn to forge them through dawnguard quests after the split. You also can't forge bolts, but can find both on enemies. Locations include Ruunvald for steel bolts and crossbows and dwemer ruin for dwarven bolts (on dead centurions).

Wolfking

Dark Elf wizard. Real name Casik.
I am the only one here that thinks this but i prefer Vampires. Dawn guard have no right to eliminate a race from Tamriel and I think that Vampires soon as they were here before Nords or Imperials or any other race they have a right to rule.
Honestly, I don't think vampires are inherently evil, but I do think anyone who tries to blot out the sun deserves a werewolf style beatdown. It's like Ulfric Stormcloak. I may not agree with his slightly rascist views, but he's a damn sight better than the freaking Empire. Same with the Dawnguard.

My (old) vampire Nord character is named Brigid, though she also has a dragon name: Briivulonkulaas which means "Beautiful (Brii) Night (Vulon) Princess (Kulaas). Her reasons for being a vampire is to "become as close to a actual dragon as humanly possible" and also so she can "cheat the system" and prevent Alduin's eventual return after his defeat (cant destroy the world as long as the dragonborn exists). She actually loathes Molag Bal, seeing rape as worse then murder. She worships Herma-Mora because she believes knowledge is power. She is a master in Restoration, Conjuration, One Handed, Heavy Armor, Archery, Pickpocketing, Lockpicking, and Speech. She kills because thats what she was born to do. She loathes the use of "mortal cattle", as to her it is laziness. She believes vampires are suppose to be hunters, going out into the night, taking only what they need, and returning without anyone the wiser. She believes its foolish and arrogant to try to assert dominance over the mortals and also foolish to try to gain acceptance from them. Now, in charge of the Volkhair clan, she hopes to "whip these pampered b**ches" into shape.

....sorry about the story.

My current one which im gonna start soon is also named Brigid but is a member of Dawnguard.

Two Bears

It depends on the playthrough. I usually play a character that is not much for temples, and is one of those "I don't need to go to the doctor, I'll just tough it out" types when they get sick (kind of like me in real life :D ). So, if I haven't contracted vampirism by the time I am ready to start the Dawnguard questline, I join the Dawnguard. Evil abominations must die. If I have contrated it, I join the Volkihar Clan. After all, those Dawnguard bullies are going to try to kill me.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
I use to play the vampire, It was fun, The skooma den is cool, Using a bow to black out the sun for a day. But it got boring, and there are rarely any good builds you can put to a vampire. Though there are good RP's for it.

So now I stay with the dawnguard, So much builds can be put to them, also a good sense of RP on there side too, Would have been so much better if they put redwater den in there missions, you could have gone and taken the chalice off the vampires, and stopped a place run by vampires.

Though I want to try the vampires again, because I havent used the bow as a vampire.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Dawnguard 100% ! In my opinion, choosing a vampire side is to go against who you really are in the game. Dragonborn is a savior not an enemy of the people. As dragonborn, you saved Skyrim from Alduin, Solstheim from Miraak and brought peace by either siding against the imperial or forsworn. Going to a vampire side is like to become a public enemy after you are practically a hero. Paarthumax was a bad dragon but as it said : what it is better, to born good or to overcome your evil nature ? In my opinion, if I turn to vampire, I am against my nature, from a good side to a bad side.
Beside, I do like the crossbow you get by Dawnguard faction and the fact that I cured Serana from Vampirism and brought her mother back to Tamriel.
It does not matter what game you play; all of them fall to the fact that there will be a fight between good and evil. What side you choose is your choice. I do prefer the light side !

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Dawnguard 100% ! In my opinion, choosing a vampire side is to go against who you really are in the game. Dragonborn is a savior not an enemy of the people. As dragonborn, you saved Skyrim from Alduin, Solstheim from Miraak and brought peace by either siding against the imperial or forsworn. Going to a vampire side is like to become a public enemy after you are practically a hero. Paarthumax was a bad dragon but as it said : what it is better, to born good or to overcome your evil nature ? In my opinion, if I turn to vampire, I am against my nature, from a good side to a bad side.
Beside, I do like the crossbow you get by Dawnguard faction and the fact that I cured Serana from Vampirism and brought her mother back to Tamriel.
It does not matter what game you play; all of them fall to the fact that there will be a fight between good and evil. What side you choose is your choice. I do prefer the light side !

In the thoughts of your gaming character he could be saving the world so he/she can still commit there foul deeds.
It may not be about the people, but rather power.
Joining the stormcloaks to destroy the Legion so the Darkbrother hood are safe in skyrim.
Joining the Legion so the thieves guild is safe in skyrim.
Joining the Legion just so you can decieve them.
Helping the forsworn escape prison because you're a person or breton who believes they should have there land back.
And parthuurnax's statement is his point of view, but he isn't a humanoid being and the greybeards are blinded.

Think of it at other perspectives. My perspective when playing is that when I wear a hood I am disguised so no one knows me, so that when my hood is off they recognize my as a good person and ignore the comments from guards about knowing who I am.

Remember, you dont have to become dragonborn and do the main questline in order to play the rest of the game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts