• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Starki113r

I've been wondering...
Should I fight the Vampires, or should I join them? What, from your experience, are the pros and cons of each? I realize I can become a Vampire near the end of the Main Quest.

Tman2177

You can become a vampire any time you wish by fighting vampires and letting them hit you with their "Vampiric drain" spell until you get a notice informing you that you have been infected with "Sanguinaire Vampiris" the vampire disease of Skyrim. I have only played through the vampires side of the story so far, and, since my Character was already a vampire, it seemed like a good idea to check out the vampire lord form and the powers that come with it. While it's not quite what i expected, it's still pretty cool and some of the abilities you gain are quite helpful. I suppose which side you choose is up to you and your own personal preferences, but joining the vamps is a good place to start the dlc in my opinion. As far as pros and cons goes.... The pros about joining the vampires are: the vampire lord form, immunity to diseases and poisons, death hound companion, a new story to experience and dungeons to explore. And cons: The vampire lord form starts of relatively weak and is quite vulnerable, you level up the vampire lord skill tree by using your drain life power in vampire lord form and power attack biting enemies in melee combat in vampire lord form, each new level takes more killings. It's been quite a lot of work to level up the vampire lord form as much as i have but i think it will be worth it in the end. Have fun and good luck with whatever side you choose.

ProSaibot

I'm not even sure that it would be a good idea to answer this question due to spoilers, but I might be a be able to say that the vampires do have cooler armor and can transform into a vampire lord which is just really fun. but the dawnguard have some cool stuff going on too, like they can make crossbows and their armor and weapons are strong against vampires, it just doesent look as cool as I'd hoped. I made a character on both sides and I like em' both but I have to say I like the vampires better because I don't mind being the bad guy. I hope I didn't say too much but just do what you feel like.

SilentCO1

[Possible slight spoilers, won't really ruin any part of the DLC]]
You can still become a Vampire Lord like halfway through the Dawnguard side of the DLC if you guys were interested. So I believe its possible to have a troll and also be a Vampire Lord, considering you bought it before and it doesn't die.

edge

Dawnguard by a longshot because you can have everything you get from the vampire side by being a dawnguard

Tman2177

Dawnguard by a longshot because you can have everything you get from the vampire side by being a dawnguard
That's not necessarily true. You can't side with the dawnguard and be a vampire lord. The fact that you are with the dawnguard means that you refused Harkon's offer to turn you into a vampire. Sure, if your character was already a vampire before you started the dlc, you can be a vampire and side with the dawnguard. But you don't get the vampire lord form nor the powers that come with it. And you don't get death hound allies(although i think armored trolls would be much more beneficial).

Tman2177

Siding with one side or the other is purely based on personal preference, it would be wrong for others to tell people which side they should choose because we think that side is superior. It's up to them to choose. That being said, you should choose what side you think would be the coolest and check it out. And you can always check out the other side later. It's a game. after all. Explore, have fun, and kick some butt.

NewZodiac

I go by whichever makes more sense.

My Orc warrior wouldn't be joining up with Vampires; he's head of the Companions and Champion of Malacath. Dawnguard is more his type of group. Heroes and all that. Victory or death, etc.

On the other hand, my Bosmer, who is Listener of the Dark Brotherhood and Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild, and who also happens to already be a vampire, will of course join the Volkihar faction for the promise of more power.

To me it's just common sense.

tntlover538

That's not necessarily true. You can't side with the dawnguard and be a vampire lord. The fact that you are with the dawnguard means that you refused Harkon's offer to turn you into a vampire. Sure, if your character was already a vampire before you started the dlc, you can be a vampire and side with the dawnguard. But you don't get the vampire lord form nor the powers that come with it. And you don't get death hound allies(although i think armored trolls would be much more beneficial).

well acually after you defeat the vampires in the dawnguard quest line you can ask serana to turn yourself into a vampire

azali100

I'm not even sure that it would be a good idea to answer this question due to spoilers, but I might be a be able to say that the vampires do have cooler armor.

Really? I personally thought Heavy Dawnguard armor was cooler. Especially the helmet.

The Hungry Orc

Master of the Pyre
I'm probably going to do both. The vampire quest is what I'm working on right now, and it's a lot of fun. My Lord is a Nord Battlemage with the Mace of Molag Bal in one hand and a Necromancy spell of some sort in the left. He looks pretty demonic, I can tell you that much.

My Dawnguard character still needs to reach the level 10 requirement, but he's a Dark Elf Sorcerer with a battleaxe for backup if his Magicka runs out. He's leveling pretty fast, so it won't be long.

Templar of Talos

Bane of Elves and Vampires
Well, I finished the Dawnguard quests late last night, ended up with some awesome gear (Weapon, Armour) and spells (Restoration). But I intend to use my DB Dumner to do the Vampire Quests.

So why not both?

Starki113r

Thanks for all the answers. I heard that when you go into the Soul Cairn (as a Dawnguard), Serana offers to turn you so that you don't suffer extreme penalties while within the Realm of the Damned (my personal name for it). I think I'm going to got Dawnguard. I never really liked playing the Dark Brotherhood (save for the humor in it, which is incredibly greater than the humor in the Thieves Guild, for some reason), and I don't really see the Thieves Guild as evil; more of a morally ambigious grey. I prefer being the good guy, though I understand that everyone has a little darkness within their hearts (e.g. - Dark Brotherhood Listener). Again, thanks to you all for helping me decide.

Tman2177

well acually after you defeat the vampires in the dawnguard quest line you can ask serana to turn yourself into a vampire
You can still have Serana with you as a companion if you're siding with the dawnguard? I thought they would have you kill her or something or she would side with other vampires. That is cool that you can do that though.

Space Hamster

Im a bow loving Nord Rouge as of now.
Pick Dawnguard. You can have everything from the vampires side plus dwarvern crossbows, exploding crossbow bolts, armored frost troll follower, armored husky follower, you can decided to be a werewolf with new perks that hunts down vampires, and there are really awesome NPC's that are also sided with the Dawnguard.

Skarv

I still don't have the DLC, but can I make my Assassin a Vampire Lord regardless th at he doesn't use Magicka? I still don't know if any build can become a Vampire Lord or Dawnguard.

Space Hamster

Im a bow loving Nord Rouge as of now.
I still don't have the DLC, but can I make my Assassin a Vampire Lord regardless th at he doesn't use Magicka? I still don't know if any build can become a Vampire Lord or Dawnguard.
My Ranger character has 110 magika and I have no problem with the VL. In fact, my mage doesn't seem to be more powerful in VL form.

Starki113r

Pick Dawnguard. You can have everything from the vampires side plus dwarvern crossbows, exploding crossbow bolts, armored frost troll follower, armored husky follower, you can decided to be a werewolf with new perks that hunts down vampires, and there are really awesome NPC's that are also sided with the Dawnguard.

Technically, there are some minor things only the Volkihar can have (blood potions as substitute for feeding, special Vampire Lord Amulets that affect you when you shift forms, Death Hounds as followers, etc.). Still thanks for the advice.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts