• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jato

In the Chasing Echoes quest, I'm at the point where I'm supposed to "Speak to Serana" at the castle. So I meet her there, speak to her, and no matter what I do, after the prliminary greeting and my request to enter the castle's secret entrance, she says: "Well, I don't just take anyone... Get rid of this interloper and you and I can be on our way. I'll wait for you at the dock." My problem is that there is absolutely NO ONE else around. It doesn't matter if I speak to her at Dawnguard, at the Castle, or anywhere in between - she says the same thing. I have tried killing anyone within a half-mile radius - no joy. I've tried dropping everything I own, thinking maybe she's sensing a random soul in my inventory - no luck there either. No matter what I do, I can't get any other dialogue out of her, nor can I move forward with this quest, which is holding up the main quest, as well. Any one else encounter this?

Chris bianculli

I've been having the same problem as well i acutally reloaded a save and replayed up to that point thinking it was bugged but the problem still persists

rob1982

Iv not had any luck with this one either, iv spent hours trying to dismiss the moth priest as he's the only one i think she could mean but nothing seems to work

Jato

I've even tried to go kill my wife and a number of other key players who might be perceived to be "attached" to me, like Farkas, Vilkas, people at the Mage's College, and a few others. Nothing works. This is seriously pissing me off, since dealing with psychotic Serana is essential to continuing the main quest, and I've now wasted about 12 hours of life trying to make this work. I've talked to others who had no problem here, but we haven't been able to isolate any major differences between our characters, to include skill levels and bounties.

Jato

UPDATE: If I ask anyone to "Follow me...I need your help.", they respond that "It already looks like you've got someone with you." This isolates the bug to a previous follower who never detached from me or a quest. The trick is finding out who it is and "releasing" them. More to follow as I explore this idea...

Jato

OK...I'm fairly certain this issue is directly related to the "follower-won't-leave-you" bug, usually in conjunction with Companion quests. I had an issue awhile back where Farkas kept running after me, even if I told him to "part ways". He eventually ticked me off enough that I killed him - big mistake. I think the game still thinks Farkas is following me, though he's lying face-down/ass-up in a meadow somewhere. This is unfixable, and several other forums indicate that unless you go back to a save point before the "event" you can't undo it by waiting, taking on other follower quests, or by any other means. I guess I'll have to shelf Skyrim in favor of other means of entertainment until a patch comes out for this issue, since it's now brought the Dawnguard quest to complete halt. Thanks Bethesda...great programming.

Chris bianculli

i have the same problem, if you still check these forums out tomorrow ill load from the save where i killed ria and redo it to let you know if it worked

kyle326

im glad to see its not just me having this problem. I've slautered about everyone i know and still no luck..... could followers also include animals? like Sahdowmere and one of the death hounds you get inside the castle?

Jato

I don't think this includes animals, since no dialog occurs with them to retain or dismiss their services.
Chris - I'll look for your input tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to try waiting for a significant amount of time (like a little over a month, in game time), then checking to see if I can pursue the Purity quest with Vilkas or if Farkas resurrects, as he has already done once in the course of my game. We can compare notes...

alex hindle

I am having the same problem with the interloper, but i have no follower i am aware of.. and every one says i have a follower... any ideas on how to get rid of a follower you can't find..

Jato

I wish I could say that this was an all-inclusive fix, but it's not. I can't even count the number of bandits I've destroyed since encountering this problem, and nothing has changed. I still have a follower tat doesn't exist, and I still can't get Serana to get me into the castle. I tried waiting for over a month of game time, then I tried to take on some Companion jobs afterward, and still no luck. I have noticed that while I'm on a job from Aela, Vilkas allows me to ask about jobs, but then tells me that I'm already running a job for Aela and to come back when I'm done. If I come back when that job is done, the line in Vilkas' dialogue inquiring about jobs is gone. Aaaaarrgh! Where were the bandits located that reset things for some of you?

Matt Barry

The problem is having a follower! The interloper is the follower! Tell your follower to go home and the problem is solved.

Matt Barry

Originally I ended up restarting my entire game because of this "interloper." That it turns out did not work because I had a follower in bost cases. The best advice and only possible solution would unfortunately be restarting your game. In adittion it seems the in order to reach the Elder Scroll(blood) or the one you get with Serana you must also previously have the Elder Scroll(dragon) which you acquire through Discerning the Transmundane. I'm not possitive about the order of scroll acquisition but that's how it worked for my game.

Jato

Matt - I tried obtaining the Dragon Elder Scroll first (I had sold it to the librarian at the Mage's College, so I just bought it back), but that didn't help me with the follower issue. Considering the plethora of different things I've tried to get rid of the invisible follower, I'm tempted to just aquiesce to the idea that starting all over is the only way to get through this, and I'm just not prepared to leave my level 69 Redguard mace-dual-weilding badass in favor of a newbie character just yet. It saddens me that that's the only way to get around this issue, but that may be the case. I'm going to go crawl into a fetal position and cry now...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts