• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Also, the final boss is a product of the events of the first game.

Clau

The Fateless One
The game takes place a very long time after the first game. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question, but the game leaves the origins of your character up to you to decide. If you want it to be the same character, it can be.

Thanks for the information.

I would like to ask one more question:

In the end of Dark Souls you were given an option to bring upon the age of fire or age of dark, based on the lore of Dark Souls II, which age transpired?

This would really make my RP compelling as I haven't figured out for myself on how Dark Souls and Dark Souls II stories are entwined nor have I found self-evidence from the game.
To answer you simply, the age of fire is still going, otherwise there would be no bonfires. The fire is still fighting and struggling for life, as it always has. The stories are entwined in that they are in the same world, and the previous game and this one collided somehow. (giants invaded Drangleic after Drangleic invaded giants). Not only that, but the lord souls from the previous game are still alive and kicking, though they haven't aged well. The fire keepers, now very old and withered, are also present. Though only one of them still retains the status of firekeeper (old hags from beginning and Emerald Herald). This much is all fact.

This next part, once again, is my speculation. Spoiler Alert.

My theory about the first game's ending and ultimate goal is that EVERY Chosen Undead's ending was canon. Time is convoluted in the Souls games, and the barriers between dimensions often shift and allow us to travel between these dimensions. Thus, I believe the game is a huge balancing act. Either you kindle the first flame, and help keep the fire going, or walk out, and become the Dark Lord and await the age of dark. I believe the age of dark equals the end of the world, gods and humans. We know from the dlc and what happened to Oolacile that the dark is definitely NOT good for humans, and the abyss not only destroyed godlike beings it encountered, but corrupted the humans as well. It is very symbolic, in my opinion, though there will be time to talk about that later.

Thanks! I have a better grasp of the lore fabric connecting DS and DS II. Would love to discover more so I'm planning to purchase Demon Souls. :)

Staff member
Thanks for the information.

I would like to ask one more question:

In the end of Dark Souls you were given an option to bring upon the age of fire or age of dark, based on the lore of Dark Souls II, which age transpired?

This would really make my RP compelling as I haven't figured out for myself on how Dark Souls and Dark Souls II stories are entwined nor have I found self-evidence from the game.
To answer you simply, the age of fire is still going, otherwise there would be no bonfires. The fire is still fighting and struggling for life, as it always has. The stories are entwined in that they are in the same world, and the previous game and this one collided somehow. (giants invaded Drangleic after Drangleic invaded giants). Not only that, but the lord souls from the previous game are still alive and kicking, though they haven't aged well. The fire keepers, now very old and withered, are also present. Though only one of them still retains the status of firekeeper (old hags from beginning and Emerald Herald). This much is all fact.

My theory about the first game's ending and ultimate goal is that EVERY Chosen Undead's ending was canon. Time is convoluted in the Souls games, and the barriers between dimensions often shift and allow us to travel between these dimensions. Thus, I believe the game is a huge balancing act. Either you kindle the first flame, and help keep the fire going, or walk out, and become the Dark Lord and await the age of dark. I believe the age of dark equals the end of the world, gods and humans. We know from the dlc and what happened to Oolacile that the dark is definitely NOT good for humans, and the abyss not only destroyed godlike beings it encountered, but corrupted the humans as well. It is very symbolic, in my opinion, though there will be time to talk about that later.

Thanks! I have a better grasp of the lore fabric connecting DS and DS II. Would love to discover more so I'm planning to purchase Demon Souls. :)
Demon's Souls story is unconnected imo. Sony owns the rights to it, not FromSoft. FromSoft definitely put some throwbacks to it in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but other than that they can only be connected if you choose in your speculation for them to be. Like I said, the devs put very few limits on RolePlaying.

Clau

The Fateless One

Demon's Souls story is unconnected imo. Sony owns the rights to it, not FromSoft. FromSoft definitely put some throwbacks to it in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but other than that they can only be connected if you choose in your speculation for them to be. Like I said, the devs put very few limits on RolePlaying.

Thanks again. You saved me a couple of cash. :D But might still buy it for collection purposes.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Please, if you own PS3, get Demon's Souls! This game is the reason that I returned to gaming. No game, including Dark Souls 1 or 2, ever captured the feeling that I experienced when I first traversed the Tower of Latria!
Thanks again. You saved me a couple of cash. :D But might still buy it for collection purposes.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
And the Demon's Souls theory has been around for awhile. I haven't heard someone adapt it to Dark Souls 2 yet, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

And did you ever SEE a giant without their armor on in Dark Souls? And there is a reasonable amount of time for their empire to degrade between the games, and them along with it.

Not without armor, though you can clearly see that anatomically they're different. The giants from the 1st game have humanoid heads, not the bagel heads of Dark Souls 2 giants.

So in Demon's Souls, (DEMON'S SOULS SPOILERS AHEAD), King Allant tries futilely to avert the undead curse by having the Northern Land of Giant's archstone destroyed. The archstone is the gateway to the Nexus, (which is the "hub," like Firelink in DS1 and Majula in DS2), and therefore the way to all other lands. The undead curse spread regardless, and Allant fell to it's influence, becoming corrupted by it. The "Old One" had arrived to feed upon souls, and was assisted by powerful demon's. Sound familiar?? These events, if connected, would likely take place after Dark Souls 2, as firekeepers became extinct, and archstones connected souls to the nexus, (via the Nexial Binding).

Again, there may turn out to be no connection... but it's not so much a stretch, especially with DS2's enphasis on "giants from the north."

Staff member
I agree with everything but that comparison to Dark Souls 1 and 2. The experience tou get from the games aren't better or worse, but more like sidegrading. Dark Souls 1 though, has some of the most impactful storylines for characters you will ever know of in a videogame. Let me link a video to give you a taste.

Staff member
And the Demon's Souls theory has been around for awhile. I haven't heard someone adapt it to Dark Souls 2 yet, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

And did you ever SEE a giant without their armor on in Dark Souls? And there is a reasonable amount of time for their empire to degrade between the games, and them along with it.

Not without armor, though you can clearly see that anatomically they're different. The giants from the 1st game have humanoid heads, not the bagel heads of Dark Souls 2 giants.

So in Demon's Souls, (DEMON'S SOULS SPOILERS AHEAD), King Allant tries futilely to avert the undead curse by having the Northern Land of Giant's archstone destroyed. The archstone is the gateway to the Nexus, (which is the "hub," like Firelink in DS1 and Majula in DS2), and therefore the way to all other lands. The undead curse spread regardless, and Allant fell to it's influence, becoming corrupted by it. The "Old One" had arrived to feed upon souls, and was assisted by powerful demon's. Sound familiar?? These events, if connected, would likely take place after Dark Souls 2, as firekeepers became extinct, and archstones connected souls to the nexus, (via the Nexial Binding).

Again, there may turn out to be no connection... but it's not so much a stretch, especially with DS2's enphasis on "giants from the north."
If enough time has passed for geography to dramatically change, giants have enough time to change after they lose everything.

Staff member

Besides the mention of an undead curse in Demon's Souls, yes. Like I said, it's possible, and if that is how you choose to interpret it, I can't tell tou you're wrong (because there aren't really definite answers). I personally just am not convinced.

Staff member
You NEED to watch these if you're a Dark Souls fan.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
When I first stepped into level 3-1 in Demon's Souls, I felt trepidation like I've never felt in a game before or since. The ambiance, including the sounds of tortured prisoners echoing throughout this multi-leveled bastile; including the hideous enemies that killed you in "shockingly" efficient manner; including the labyrinthian structure of the level which made it easy to become lost... This level literally gave me a headache. From stress. For any serious gamer that enjoys a challenge, Demon's Souls is a must.

Staff member
When I first stepped into level 3-1 in Demon's Souls, I felt trepidation like I've never felt in a game before or since. The ambiance, including the sounds of tortured prisoners echoing throughout this multi-leveled bastile; including the hideous enemies that killed you in "shockingly" efficient manner; including the labyrinthian structure of the level which made it easy to become lost... This level literally gave me a headache. From stress. For any serious gamer that enjoys a challenge, Demon's Souls is a must.
I can respect that. But it just doesn't compare to my experience in Dark Souls. Anastacia begging to die human will always bring me back.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale

Ah yes! His videos are the best. I especially love his video about Black Iron Tarkus. My favorite is the one about The Way of the White! I had never connected the channeler in the Undead Parish to Seath and the Duke's Archives, where the Way of the White priestess ended up eventually. Very Good!

I have heard some speculate that the Duke Tseldora in Dark Souls 2 is the same Duke from the Duke's Archives. I don't agree with this.

Staff member

Ah yes! His videos are the best. I especially love his video about Black Iron Tarkus. My favorite is the one about The Way of the White! I had never connected the channeler in the Undead Parish to Seath and the Duke's Archives, where the Way of the White priestess ended up eventually. Very Good!

I have heard some speculate that the Duke Tseldora in Dark Souls 2 is the same Duke from the Duke's Archives. I don't agree with this.
He is the mad scientist that created all the frankensteins for you know who. The scorpion guy tells you about him. I don't think he has a part in the first game.

Staff member
Anyways, I need to get some sleep... sorry. I'll be back on tomorrow. What system you guys on, btw?

Clau

The Fateless One
I'm on the PS3. Just downloaded the patch released this week.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
PS3 too. But all is well. The Souls community seems to be growing, as the new game is very active. Is there any designated dueling spots yet, like undead burg in the 1st game?

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Here's a game related question for you Gidian. How does one get summoned to fight for the Mirror Knight? So far, I've only seen NPCs come out of his shield, but I thought it was supposed to be other players?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts