1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Crosshair or no crosshair?

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Wippii, Oct 30, 2014.

?

Do you keep the crosshair enabled?

1. Yes, always

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Sometimes

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No, never

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Only for certain things

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Wippii

Wippii Bookworm

The crosshair: help or hindrance? What is your opinion?

I personally have it set up so that the crosshair only appears when I have a spell equipped and "unsheathed". Using bows is way easier without the crosshair, but crossbows I can't aim without it. I never use crossbows, though, because they're so slow and clumsy.
    Targeting items/NPCs is easy enough with just the HUD text; the crosshair is just an annoyance.

When I have to choose between no crosshair whatsoever or crosshair always on (as is the case with an unmodded game), I'll definitely pick the former.

How about you? :)

2. Joker

Joker Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker

I keep the crosshairs on, just a personal preference.

3. Daelon DuLac

Daelon DuLac How do you backstab a Dragon?

Tried w/out and I could never hit anything. Maybe it's a PS3 thing. Frankly, I can't hit anything unless I'm in 1st person so I'm always switching between 1st & 3rd and that's also the reason, as a mage, that I pretty much only use area affect spells when being all aggressive. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ecozombie

ecozombie Loki

I prefer the crosshair on. As Daelon said, I too have a hard time hitting anything without it. Took me a while to learn to sneak and aim a bow at the same time for this reason. Same with the crossbow and spells. Perhaps it's because I have a tiny TV to play on and have horrible eyesight even with glasses on, but yeah, the crosshair is definitely a necessity for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cherry

Cherry Farfetch'd is judging you!

Definitely crosshair always on for me. Without it, I can't hit anything with any sort of ranged weapon or spell.

A question for @Wippii : You say the crosshair is a hindrance for you when using a regular bow. Why is this? How can you hit anything at any sort of distance without it?

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    lizardisok: 11 Points Sep 15, 2015
  6. Wippii

Wippii Bookworm

Well, first off, unless you're on PC and tweak your skyrim.ini (which I've done), arrows always fly above where the crosshair points. It takes a lot of practice to get used to it.
    Besides, if your target is far away and/or very small (like a Slaughterfish) the crosshair completely covers it, making it impossible to see the target.

I didn't master crosshair-less archery in a day, but it's totally worth the effort. I bet it would be possible to learn to use crossbows without crosshair, but IMO crossbows aren't useful enough for it to be worth it.

PS. 3rd person archery is still impossible without crosshair, but I never play in 3rd person when doing archery, so...
    Mounted archery is really tricky as well, but I don't use that much either.

7. Rhew

Rhew The missing snow elf

Always with crosshairs on. I don't see how you can shoot without the crosshairs. and it's a reason I don't like oblivion sometimes is that the crosshairs aren't there at all unless you go into 1st person mode.

8. Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Nephor The Shadow Stalker Strike swiftly and silently.

Without. A master archer don't need no dot to aim his deadly weapon!!!:p

9. Orionza

Orionza New Member

On. I love shooting from really far and hitting the target the first time. Using crosshairs ensures better accuracy.

10. Hodor

Hodor King Hodor of House Hodor

Using no crosshairs with a bow makes it exciting.

Hodor.